Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:31 AM
E65/E66 Helper Man.......

Send a message via AIM to harjothundal Send a message via MSN to harjothundal
Mein Auto: BMW 745 Li
03 745Li - Need warranty info

Alright guys, so here is my scenario... I've read many people with similar instances, so i'm hoping ya'll may be able to direct me as to what I should/need to do...

When i purchased my bmw last year, i called a BMW dealership first (concord BMW) to confirm that there was indeed a 100k warranty... The SA I spoke to was able to confirm this by searching my vin... So, earlier this week I attempt to make an appointment to get service done... I kinda had a feeling the dealer(s) would try to screw me, so I called first to get information, without driving over an hour just to be told nonsense...

Here are the symptoms I wanted to get looked at:
-sunroof has excessive wind noise when visor is open
-when coming to complete stop, engine/transmission has bump stop jerk before stopping
-when driving uphill or downhill, car shakes heavily, as if you've been rear ended etc etc
-sometimes when i start the vehicle, i will get dynamic drive and parking brake fault errors, however when i turn "restart" vehicle, errors are gone and drives perfectly (very rare)

so when the dealer (this time niello in sacramento) looked up the vin, they said i had no CPO meaning my warranty has expired... when i explained to the lady about all 2002/2003 vehicles having 100k from the factory, she denied it saying it was only 2002's and some early 2001 models, which just blew me away...

so, my question is, what the hell should i do? obviously the car is in need of some cip upgrades and such, but if the deaer is going to charge me for what i believe should be covered, then it's really not worth it... has anyone experienced anything like this? I tried to contact concord bmw as well, but nobody has return my call yet...

any help will be greatly appreciated!
Harjot
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750LI M3 Mustang Tundra
BS, when i took my car to a dealer in Houston, the service guy said all 02/03 got the 6/100k. I would try to contact another dealer.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 4 Chevy's and a Bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Din View Post
BS, when i took my car to a dealer in Houston, the service guy said all 02/03 got the 6/100k. I would try to contact another dealer.

I just got off the phone with a local BMW Service dept and said the same as Din. But did mention vin# specific.

But, I did also heard that the CPO is the 0-50k and/or x years for bumper to bumper then 50,001 - 100k is drivetrain. I think that's where the vin# specific may come in to play.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
harjothundal-
Send me a PM and I'll recommend a service advisor at Niello that has been great to work with. I have had nothing but excellent service with the service advisors there, although I had a similar experience to what you described when I spoke with one of the women there that makes service appointments.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:23 PM

many thanks to all who have replied with their input... Daddyad, thanks for your input as well, i'll send you a pm after posting this... it seems as if we may have possibly ran into the same lady... although she wasn't rude and all, she was unprofessional in the way she spoke and conducted business... i've read many people here talk about 100k warranty on and 02-03's, surely all these people can't be wrong... sacramento and concord are almost about the equal amount in distance from me, and the last time i went into neillo in sacramento to buy floormats, they didn't seem very friendly... may have just been the way i perceived it though...

some people have mentioned theres a number for bmwna to call and get more information about my car and its warranty... i searched bmwusa's website quite extensively with no avail, anyone know where i can find it?

i'm ready to put a new set of wheels as well as drop the car, but i fear the dealer will blame the bump during slowdown to the lowering, so i was trying to get all this fixed before i put the new wheels/springs on...

once again, appreciate everyones input =)
Old 07-11-2007, 05:44 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 03 m3, waiting on m235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by harjothundal View Post
many thanks to all who have replied with their input... Daddyad, thanks for your input as well, i'll send you a pm after posting this... it seems as if we may have possibly ran into the same lady... although she wasn't rude and all, she was unprofessional in the way she spoke and conducted business... i've read many people here talk about 100k warranty on and 02-03's, surely all these people can't be wrong... sacramento and concord are almost about the equal amount in distance from me, and the last time i went into neillo in sacramento to buy floormats, they didn't seem very friendly... may have just been the way i perceived it though...

some people have mentioned theres a number for bmwna to call and get more information about my car and its warranty... i searched bmwusa's website quite extensively with no avail, anyone know where i can find it?

i'm ready to put a new set of wheels as well as drop the car, but i fear the dealer will blame the bump during slowdown to the lowering, so i was trying to get all this fixed before i put the new wheels/springs on...

once again, appreciate everyones input =)
Customer relations
800-831-1117
Old 07-11-2007, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: M3, 750i, 325iC, 323i
Send me the last 7 of your VIN and I'll look up to see what you have / don't have

2007 750i
2000 323i
1995 M3
1991 325iC
2006 MINI Cooper
Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 AM

tkasser, i pm'ed you the vin... thank you for the help!
Old 07-12-2007, 02:36 PM

just an update for my fellow 7er's... i called bmw's customer relations dept and the person i spoke with was extremely courteous and professional... he did confirm my vehicle has a 6yr 100k "powertrain" warranty, as my maintenance expired after 50k... so i wonder why the dealer said i didn't have it? the lady took my vin and looked it up and everything...

on a side note, seeing that this is a "powertrain" warranty, do you think cip upgrades and such sh ould be covered? im having the jerks when shifting etc etc...
Old 07-12-2007, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: M3, 750i, 325iC, 323i
you have a PM

New Vehicle Warranty Info

No Coverage As Of: 07/21/2009
Expiration Mileage: 100,000

2007 750i
2000 323i
1995 M3
1991 325iC
2006 MINI Cooper
Old 07-12-2007, 03:40 PM

i thought it was 6/100k bumper to bumper?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:35 PM

acording to the rep, bumper to bumper is only up to 50k, the rest he said were drivetrain type faults... anything pertaining to th driveability or safety of the car etc etc...
Old 07-12-2007, 09:05 PM

thats weird i could of swore the rep at my local dealer told me its 6/100k bumper to bumper.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: 7 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by Din View Post
thats weird i could of swore the rep at my local dealer told me its 6/100k bumper to bumper.
Your local dealer is correct - its 6 yrs/100k miles, bumper to bumper, ie NEW car warranty. before I purchased my 03, I emailed BMWNA to confirm warranty coverage. Here is the snippet of the email:

*To maintain customer confidence, BMW extended the New Vehicle Limited Warranty on all 2002 - 2003 7 Series models from 4 years or 50,000 miles to 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.*

harjothundal,

Covering the powertrain and some electrical components sounds like CPO coverage, which will most likely have a deductible. Your vehicle has NEW car coverage, as stated by tkasser till 7/21/09 or 100k miles. The dealer shouldn't charge you anything for the symptoms you're experiencing. Even if the dealer cant duplicate any of your concerns, your repair bill should be $0.

The sunroof issue is common from what i hear - you'll prob need a seal. The other issues seem software related. Unfortunately, most dealers need to replicate the issue in order to upgrade the software. In the past, if you simply asked the dealer to upgrade your software, they would. However, recently BMWNA has advised all dealers to NOT upgrade software unless the software upgrade addresses a fix.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745Li
That bump will eventually turn into a transmission being replaced- that's what they did to fix my bump! I bought an extended warranty from my dealer & requested a refund when they extended the factory warranty - only got about 50% back - doesn't seem right since the warranty wasn't even usable until after the factory warranty was over.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: 03 745LI
I to have this "mysterious" bump that bmw cannot duplicate. I also have the sunroof issue as well. I don't know why if bmw knows this is an issue with "some" of the cars, they refuse to make all the possible corrections to keep it from happening when they return the car to you.

I'll be taking my SA on an unannounced ride to show him and/or the foreman my issue is real and a real pain in the *$$!
Old 12-11-2007, 03:58 PM

Update!

I got a message from my SA today saying the "bump" has been fixed and was caused by a defective "guibo". I'll get the car back tomorrow and update on the status after I get it back from them.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:13 PM

thanks for the update, my car too was fixed a few months back for all the concerns stated above... they replaced teh guibo and did a reprogram, and since then it is smooth as silk with no problems what so ever...
Old 12-11-2007, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMWs
they agreed with the warranty for your car?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:34 PM

After receiving the car and assured it was fixed, low and behold the problem is still alive and well!! It took all of 4 blocks for it to show up again. I hate to complain but after 3 times to try and fix it, I feel that the dealer isnt capable of doing the job.

The shop foreman insisted on allowing me to give him one last chance to fix the car. Reluctantly, I agreed but feel bad cuz he and the SA seem like cool guys, but damn I just want my car fixed!! I'm sure the Service Manager has/will lay into all involved.

I've called customer relations and file a formal complaint. Doing so now means I know I won't be able to take my car back there again. I won't take the survey cuz I don't wanna fail my SA.

Any thoughts/opinions on maybe going another way? Am I being unreasonable?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
ya you are being unresonable because if they willing to fix most likely means they eventually gonna replace your whole transmission i would stick with them and not give them bad ratings of the survey.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:42 AM

Ok. First off, I said I wasn't going to take the survey cuz I DIDNT want to fail my SA, but now since the dealer and I have worked out a business arrangement, I will take it and pass him with flying colors.

Second, if you believe I'm bring unreasonable, can I have 4 tries to fix the next problem you have with your car? Probably no right? Keep in mind I'm in no way qualified to do so. HOWEVER, BMW is and admittingly said they missed the obvious problem when they had my car the FIRST time, which subsequently meant heads were chewed off!

Third, I received the car again last night and it seems the problem is fixed. Not by replacing the entire transmission as you suggested, but simply them reprogramming the cars adaptive transmission to the new parts the added in, as well as driving the car very slow to re-adapt. This couldve all been avoided with the first trip but like I said all I want is the car fixed, which now appears to be the case.

To conclude, I don't think I was being unreasonable since BMW is big on customer satisfaction and unfortunately I was not satisfied after 3 times of attempting to fix a problem that they admitted was skipped the first time. But on a plus side as I said, we will be doing business in the future on other matters. However, I still thank you for your input!
Old 12-15-2007, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: M35
my suggestion to any one had hard times gettin hiis problem resolved, Get the Service manager involved and explain how many times you have to bring the car in for the same problem and i hope things will get taken care of . I had my transmission replaced after 2nd time from complaining . Car feels like brand new
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 08-30-2009, 03:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to davidffhoh
Mein Auto: 745Li
I have periodically the same jerk response when i apply my brakes and stop. My service manager says he has to take out the drive shaft to check if it is an arctic drive (??) problem before he attempts reprogramming .I am unimpressed with the reason given to me which is that reprogramming may jam up some functions if done first. i read harjothundal's note dated 12.12.2007 and can i ask what is "teh guido"?
thanks for the help in advance
David
2004 745Li
Old 08-30-2009, 02:18 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
The guido disk is a rubber piece that goes on your drive shaft that the dealer replaces everytime u say that the transmission is action up

its a way of not fixing the problem but not completly blowing u off

some cases it did help

'03 745i - modded - GONE -