Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-26-2007, 07:07 AM
Resident Pilot

Mein Auto: BMW Not Found
Sounds From the Rear: Explained

I think I've gone through pretty much all of the problems you can have with the rear end of the car that will make distinctive noises, so I'm going to lay some of them out for anyone who has problems in the future.

I'll start with the most severe:

My car sounds like...

...a helicopter:
Pull over now!!! The most probable cause of the sound is one or several loose lugs. Stop the car, bust out the BMW tool kit (the tire iron is actually over on the battery cover) and tighten all of the offending lugs. While you're at it, go ahead and check all of the rest of the lugs too. If the lugs work their way out far enough, the sound will get worse and the shaking will pick up. Eventually the lugs will snap and you'll note you'll be riding a bit lower on that side. By then, it's generally a bit too late - your car's on the ground.

...it has metal scraping around in back:
It might be that the rear shock mount (RSM) has failed. This failure, however might not have occurred at the shock mount itself, unfortunately. The metal scraping and knocking could mean the failure occurred at the frame mount. This is going to require some metal work to fix. Plan on spending a good amount on fixing it.
To prevent this, upgrade your shock mounts and re-enforce them! Re-enforcement plates are available at BavAuto, among other BMW parts shops.

...there's a slight knocking or squeak in back:
As mentioned above, there is probably a problem with the RSM. A knock means that the RSM has probably failed and the upper mount of the shock is just knocking around freely. Squeaking generally only occurs when the roads are wet, but can occur at other times, and generally means the same thing. Both the knocking and squeaking should co-incide with suspension actions, such as driving over bumps, or rough roads. This problem isn't as urgent as the above-mentioned, but since the mount has failed, it's possible that moisture can now get into the car, which can cause other problems. Get new rear shock mounts. Meyle makes a heavy-duty RSM that resists push through failures (most common type), yet retains the stock feel, unlike many of the urethane upgrades. If you're going performance, now is a good time to upgrade to urethane. When you replace the shock mounts, don't forget to buy a re-enforcement plate! Replacement RSMs are available at most all BMW part shops, and re-enforcement plates can be found at BavAuto, and maybe Pelican.

...it's running on off-road tires:
This is most likely a failure of the rear wheel bearing (RWB). The rear wheel bearing failure's sound can range from a grumble, to a growl, to a roar. When it gets bad, it will sound like you're riding in a Jeep with huge off-road tires. The sound will follow your car's speed, not the engine RPM. Generally, as you get faster, the sound gets louder. This is not always the case, however, as sometimes there is a point at which the sound will die down some. To check the speed correlation, bring the car up to highway speed and press the clutch pedal (if you're an AT, put the car in N - this is illegal in many states, so watch yourself) to let the engine spool down to idle, while your speed remains relatively high. If the sound remains strong, it's most likely the bearing. If the sound dies with the engine RPM, you've got something else wrong.
RWB fixes are nasty! They aren't super-urgent, but be aware that if the bearing finally fails completely and locks, you're not going to be getting anywhere very quickly and you'll probably need to replace the tire that just got dragged until you stopped. I drove on mine for a while before I replaced it; some 4,000mi, I think. That's not the smartest option, but I needed to save up for the parts and tool.

DIY GUYS: This fix is time-consuming and expensive! The tool to remove and press the bearings is around $250 itself. The bearings are around $30 each. If you have a while (and the patience!!) to do this job, this is your best option. You can do both bearings on the rear axle for the price of what most garages charge for one. Expect hang-ups if your car has not had much service in the rear. Frozen bolts, hubs and rotors all slow progress and are a general pain. Once you get it done, however, your car will sound like new again. The tool and parts are available at Pelican Parts (they have the best prices on this job, believe you me!).
You will need:
2 RWBs, 2 Circlips, 2 New Rotor Screws (one-use part, don't re-use the old one!) and the bearing press. A Bentley Manual is an absolute must! If you don't have one, PM me and I'll send you my write-up with alternatives, should one of the options not work.

NON-DIY GUYS: This fix is expensive! Expect the shop to charge around $300-350 (that's at independent shops). It will be a bit less on the second bearing if you're getting both done. BE AWARE that some BMW specialty shops may try and screw you. One BMW shop that I trusted quoted me at 7 hours of labour, plus over-priced parts, so watch yourself. I could've gotten the job done in 1 hour a side if I had a lift and shop tools. Seven is about what it took me in the end with socket wrenches, jack stands and a rubber mallet.

...it's hissing:
First, check and make sure you don't have a hole in your tires. If that's not the case, and it sounds more sandpaper-ish than high-pressure air, then it's probably something rubbing. More specifically, the brake rotor shields. If it's very light-sounding, it's probably fine. If it's more gouging or metallic-sounding, you should probably try to re-bend the shield so it's not rubbing so intensely. The best bet, however is just getting them replaced. The shields themselves are not too expensive, but the job is similar to the rear wheel bearing job, as the rotor will need to be removed and the hub will need to be pressed off to get to the brake shield. I haven't gotten a quote from a shop, but I'd expect labour to be the main cost in this fix.

I hope this clears up some of your sound worries. Good luck with the fixes!

1993 325is - Frigg - Grounded
2001 Z3 2.5 - Išunn - Active
Ads by Google
Old 07-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Great thread buddy

Will try to get it sticky'd!

Edirty6 for life
Old 07-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Resident Pilot

Awesome! Thanks Pete!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:38 AM
1 canary

Mein Auto: 1998 323i convertible
For what it's worth, replacing my OSF disc shield cost me £232 including new bearings at my local garage. Probably could have got it done a little cheaper but not enough time to look around, which I feel is usually essential.
Just so you have a guide price
Old 07-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 325i
whats the noise when driving on bad road like plastic beats creaking from the back? in sedan.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:15 PM
1 canary

Mein Auto: 1998 323i convertible
Not sure. Did have similar noise myself but more tinny than plastic sounding. Turned out to be the dust protection tube on shocker was split and rattling against the shocker. It then did it no matter what road surface I was on. Bl**dy annoying.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:36 AM
'97 318is Hellrot

Send a message via Skype™ to N:CR41G
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 318is E36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1canary View Post
Not sure. Did have similar noise myself but more tinny than plastic sounding. Turned out to be the dust protection tube on shocker was split and rattling against the shocker. It then did it no matter what road surface I was on. Bl**dy annoying.
Yeah, I have the same noise and it drives me INSANE!!!

I had a look at my shocks and saw my covers are split also!

...I wasn't sure on cutting them off so just put some cable ties on them, but they just came loose again!!

What did you do?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:14 AM

Mein Auto: 94 325i convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1canary View Post
This might be hard to do but can you/someone show a picture of where this located, and I hope this is my problem because every time I go down a back road it makes this annoying noise constantly-it sounds like a piece is loose. I took it to a shop and they thought it could be my suspension mounts-
Old 11-01-2007, 12:41 AM
The Dakar Dream

Mein Auto: bmw compact 2000 e36
If only I had read the helicopter noise bit a few years back on my first bimmer before the wheel sheared off on the motorway destroying both my car and my insurance!! (not to mention the pants of both myself and passenger!!)
Old 11-11-2007, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 318 IS 1996
Great text, congratulations!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3 Cabrio
'squeak'?

Hey there, great thread. I'm currently troubleshooting a load of small noises in a recently acquired '97 M3. Here's a tip for y'all, check that the door trims are tight against the panel. New plastic clips can be bought from the BMW stealer of pence... and removed door trim rattles instantly! When doing this, don't be afraid to 'muscle' the panel off in the first place.. it's damn tight"

I have a 'squeak' when pulling away or accelerating from it sounds like the rear seat. or perhaps below it. No knocks or anything when driving (had new bushes to fix that), just a one off 'squeak' when pulling away. even had the wife drive it with the rear seats out so that I could locate it... any ideas or similar experiences?
Old 04-11-2008, 01:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to Scotty328
Mein Auto: 1996 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanieldecks View Post
Hey there, great thread. I'm currently troubleshooting a load of small noises in a recently acquired '97 M3. Here's a tip for y'all, check that the door trims are tight against the panel. New plastic clips can be bought from the BMW stealer of pence... and removed door trim rattles instantly! When doing this, don't be afraid to 'muscle' the panel off in the first place.. it's damn tight"

I have a 'squeak' when pulling away or accelerating from it sounds like the rear seat. or perhaps below it. No knocks or anything when driving (had new bushes to fix that), just a one off 'squeak' when pulling away. even had the wife drive it with the rear seats out so that I could locate it... any ideas or similar experiences?

Mine squeaks too, it's a 1996 328i Sport. No idea what's causing it either!
M50 Manifold with Big Bore Throttle Body, K&N Heatshielded CAI. Eibach Sportline Springs, E30 Wishbones, Powerflex Poly Bushes. 3.15:1 LSD, Factory M-Tech Bodystyling, Factory fitted Bilstein Dampers. Currently running 223 Bhp and 215 ft lbs, more to come.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/liquidchild/My%20Car/328i%20Sport/Drift17sig2.jpg
Quattro ist fur sissies.....
Old 08-09-2008, 06:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to Scotty328
Mein Auto: 1996 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty328 View Post
Mine squeaks too, it's a 1996 328i Sport. No idea what's causing it either!
Found out what was causing this! Diff carrier ripped itself from the chassis last ween
M50 Manifold with Big Bore Throttle Body, K&N Heatshielded CAI. Eibach Sportline Springs, E30 Wishbones, Powerflex Poly Bushes. 3.15:1 LSD, Factory M-Tech Bodystyling, Factory fitted Bilstein Dampers. Currently running 223 Bhp and 215 ft lbs, more to come.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/liquidchild/My%20Car/328i%20Sport/Drift17sig2.jpg
Quattro ist fur sissies.....
Old 12-05-2007, 07:05 PM
5 speed lover....

Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 325is
How much to fix the failure occurred at the frame mount.... I know I have this problem.

And if its not fixed, will it get worse ? Will I die one day driving down the road???

Any info would be great. I love the car except for that damn noise. And when you get on it from a roll, I can almost feel the car torque and shift in the rear end.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Resident Pilot

You sure it's the frame mount? As in, the metalwork of the body is now cracked - not the shock mount itself?
If so:
The longer you wait to fix it and continue to drive on it, the more the upper suspension link will knock around in there, which will probably make it harder to repair.
I've heard repair quotes for that from $200-300. It should be taken care of. It's not going to kill you, but it's certainly not good for your car.

From your signature pic, your lights need to be adjusted as well. Specifically the passenger side. There are some DIYs online, or you can take it in for about $20.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:33 PM
5 speed lover....

Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 325is
That pic was taken in the summer, its all fixed now

I had some podunk mech look at it and all he said was "Your rear end is almost off the frame" I immediatly left. This is just a fun car, I own it. I beat it, and it blows in the snow. Just seeing if i HAVE to fix it, or it SHOULD be fixed. If i drop the clutch at about 3K its like BANG!!! If I ease off the clutch, its just sqeeks. I fixed one of the RSM already that took another noise away lol I wish I knew who had this car from new, cause they have absolutly NO respect for a BMW. Dumbass!!! Weekly and Monthly maint. on any vehicle is a must. My truck feels bad for my little bimmer

Old 05-31-2008, 02:53 PM
FixItFaster

Mein Auto: EuroS50B30, e83m54b30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyyank View Post
That pic was taken in the summer, its all fixed now

I had some podunk mech look at it and all he said was "Your rear end is almost off the frame" I immediatly left. This is just a fun car, I own it. I beat it, and it blows in the snow. Just seeing if i HAVE to fix it, or it SHOULD be fixed. If i drop the clutch at about 3K its like BANG!!! If I ease off the clutch, its just sqeeks. I fixed one of the RSM already that took another noise away lol I wish I knew who had this car from new, cause they have absolutly NO respect for a BMW. Dumbass!!! Weekly and Monthly maint. on any vehicle is a must. My truck feels bad for my little bimmer
No offense but it sounds like you don't have very much respect for your bmw, you should never drop the clutch in any bmw, they arent made for it, dual mass flywheels get ruined from it and it is hard on the whole car. Bmw is a track car not a drag car, if you want a straight line car by a mercedes..
cuz there to heavy to turn corners anyways hahaha.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: '93 325is a.k.a. jenn
SAME THING happened to me it sounded terrible and i could feel it in between the seats!!! i fixed the frame work but still get a knocking do you know if its the drivetrain torqueing itself into the underbody or how i can prevent the the knocking???
Old 09-21-2012, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 325is
My 94 with 224k makes a squeak over bumps. The noise is comming from the left rear and sounds like bouncing on an old matresss. I need a "if the bimmers a rockin sticker". The prior owner said its been doing it a while. I had just put a rsm and sway bar link on that side so I dropped the shock but it still makes noise. I put a scope on all the bushings and couldn't hear anything. Could it be a worn out spring? I sprayed silicone lube on the spring pads but that didn't help. Any ideas?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:39 PM
The Dakar Dream

Can u look at the rsm's and see that they have failed? If so wot and where should i be looking and what for?? Thanks
Old 12-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Resident Pilot

If you have pictures, sure.
What you're looking for is a push through. Reach up in the wheel well and grab the suspension rod (the shiny, silver part) and move it up and down. If there is no push through, the silver part should not be able to move. If the RSM failed, it will be able to move due to a push through. Chances are, if you're on the stock RSMs it's going to happen at some point, so it's best to just upgrade and re-inforce now before something happens later. BavAuto is where I went for my parts to fix the problem with an upgraded mount and a reinforcement plate.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:15 AM
The Dakar Dream

Marvelous I shall take a look later and see if I have any movements...Im getting a banging noise when reversing at almost full lock....
Old 12-24-2007, 06:54 AM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Good write-up, but you forgot one:
It sounds like an airplane engine taking off when I slow down- Worn out LSD. Time for a rebuild or new diff fluid.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 95,325 e36 m3 runing-gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipWOT View Post
Good write-up, but you forgot one:
It sounds like an airplane engine taking off when I slow down- Worn out LSD. Time for a rebuild or new diff fluid.
i have this same noise, when i hold the clutch in it kinda goes away, so u think its a worn diff? i know my lsd is bit worn had sum play in it
Old 12-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Resident Pilot

Haven't experienced that one yet, otherwise it would've been in there.