Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-17-2007, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
X3 memory seats have a mind of their own

Can anyone explain to me exactly how the memory seats work in my 2007 X3 3.0si (key settings vs buttons on side of seat)?

I've tried to get my dealer to explain it to me, but that isn't helping. My wife and I each have a key, and we both would like to have unique seat/mirror settings.

Here's the way I think it should work, but it doesn't always work this way (and I'm not sure why -- and I don't think the dealer knows either):

- (My key) -- unlock the vehicle when the unlock button is pressed
- (My key) -- move the driver seat and mirrors to the location that I use everytime I drive the vehicle

- (My wife's key) -- unlock the vehicle when the unlock button is pressed
- (My wife's key) -- move the driver seat and mirrors to the location that she uses everytime she drive the vehicle

What's happening for us?
- whenever I use my key to unlock the vehicle, it will sometimes go to my seat/mirror settings (sometimes it will go to seat/mirror settings which seem to be my wife's settings--definitely not mine)
- whenever my wife uses her key to unlock the vehicle, it always goes to her seat/mirror settings
- whenever I have both keys in my hand, and I am trying to show the above scenario to the dealer, it works the way I think it should work (argh!!!)

* we both lock the vehicle at all times with our keys (even when it is in the garage)
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2007, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
I have exactly same problem with the 2007 X3! I plan to raise it with the dealer during my first service appointment. For now I just resigned to using the seat button whenever the seat is in the wrong position.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 325is - Brilliantrot
I'm also having problems with the reverse tilt down feature of the passenger side mirror. It seems to only work whenever it feels like it...(same key every time)
Old 09-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 Z4, 77 Porsche, 11 528
Same problem here. My service advisor quasi-explained it to me and it is typical of the Germans. The seat memory buttons are independent of the key fob, in certain instances. When you unlock the car, the seats will go to the position the seats were in the last two times the car was locked with that fob. So, if you happen to use your wife's keys and left the seats in your memory position the last two times the car was locked with her fob, the seats will go to your position when you unlock it. My wife and I often split the driving duties, so we often share a set of keys. An evening with a couple of stops and locks with the same fob totally screws up the auto settings. By the way, this system will record any position the seats are in, not just the memory button settings. So, another driver's seat position may be recorded as well. This can easily occur at the dealership if the car is moved and locked two times. The Germans reason that if the seats are in a particular position the last two times the fob was used to lock the car, then that's where they should be. Doesn't matter where YOU want them.

Regarding the dipping reverse mirror, the mirror control button has to be to one side. I believe it is the LEFT side for a RIGHT dipping mirror. Ah, German logic once again.

I recently received a J. D. Power car owner survey. You can rest assured that they heard soundly about the totally confusing and irrational seat memory system as well as the incomprehensible stereo system controls and markings on the "Business" sound system. What the devil does the designation "Business" mean?

Don't get me wrong, I love my BMW's, but they should hire Japanese engineers to design these most simplistic functions. Better yet, BMW could just buy a Honda and copy their seat memory system.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Quote:
Can anyone explain to me exactly how the memory seats work in my 2007 X3 3.0si (key settings vs buttons on side of seat)?
Yes.

Here is the story for MY 2004. I can't tell you if it changed for later years. Some of the following is fact, some just what I have surmized. (You can try to separate these out.)

Background: BMW used to give stickers/flags to code the keys so you could distinquish key #1 from #2, etc. They stopped doing this in North America because they noticed that this didn't match common usage (one key per driver) and explanations were too complex. So the "system" is still there, but basically unused and unexplained.

Usage: The seat memory buttons and the keys interact. They are NOT independent. In some models the key settings also cover heating & ventilation, mirror positions etc. But I don't think the heating/ventilation is tied into the memory programming of the X3.

Procedure: WIth the car turned on via key #1, set the seat memory for button #1. (Set the seat positions, press M so it lights up, press button 1. The light will go off and the first memory position is stored.) Turn off the car and remove the key.

If you want, repeat this for key #2 and button 2. If you want, store a third position in button #3 (there is no key #3).

From now on, until you replace the settings in the memories, unlocking and starting the car with key #N will return the seat to memory position #N, where N = 1 or 2.

As to:
Quote:
Regarding the dipping reverse mirror, the mirror control button has to be to one side. I believe it is the LEFT side for a RIGHT dipping mirror. Ah, German logic once again.
This one is CLEARLY explained in the owners manual.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: Silver Gray '05 325i
Just a side note, my 2007 X3 came with the color stickers to help identify the keys. I found them mixed in with the owner's manual and other materials.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 325is - Brilliantrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-y View Post
Yes.

Here is the story for MY 2004. I can't tell you if it changed for later years. Some of the following is fact, some just what I have surmized. (You can try to separate these out.)

Background: BMW used to give stickers/flags to code the keys so you could distinquish key #1 from #2, etc. They stopped doing this in North America because they noticed that this didn't match common usage (one key per driver) and explanations were too complex. So the "system" is still there, but basically unused and unexplained.

Usage: The seat memory buttons and the keys interact. They are NOT independent. In some models the key settings also cover heating & ventilation, mirror positions etc. But I don't think the heating/ventilation is tied into the memory programming of the X3.

Procedure: WIth the car turned on via key #1, set the seat memory for button #1. (Set the seat positions, press M so it lights up, press button 1. The light will go off and the first memory position is stored.) Turn off the car and remove the key.

If you want, repeat this for key #2 and button 2. If you want, store a third position in button #3 (there is no key #3).

From now on, until you replace the settings in the memories, unlocking and starting the car with key #N will return the seat to memory position #N, where N = 1 or 2.

As to:

This one is CLEARLY explained in the owners manual.
This procedure for the seat memory doesn't work on my 2007. The manual states that it has to be programmed by my local "SAV center" (dealership). I do have the color coded stickers for the keys and my salesman (who is a friend of the family) said he "thinks" I can program the seats myself, but he doesn't sound too convincing.

Also, like I stated in my previous post, the right mirror dipping in reverse function only works when it wants to. The button is always set to the left/driver's side - I never toggle it from there. It's always a nice surprise when it does decide to work though...lol

I wish these things were my mistake because then they'd have a simple fix. I'm in IT so I'd like to think I can follow instructions a little better than the common ape can...
Old 11-06-2009, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: X3
It worked for me. Only for like two days. Today I noticed that when I unlock the car, it does not move the seats according to what i had them programmed to.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Leftover Hippie

Mein Auto: 2010 328xiT
I'll add an odd quirk for our 2005 X3 - we went along for quite some time cussing at the way our keys didn't seem to work until we stumbled across an interesting observation. If I click the unlock on our X3 with my key *while the cars is already unlocked* in the garage before I drive the car my seat and mirror position will always get set up correctly. The same is true for my wife's key. Doing the same thing while the car is locked does not work.

We gave up on getting annoyed about why it didn't follow the description in the manual.

2005 X3 2.5i - Mystic Blue
2010 328ix Sports Wagon - Space Gray
Old 11-07-2009, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 5
the original owner on my 05 x3 must have disabled this feature. But my 01 e39 would be hit or miss. My understanding is that the key is set when you lock the car. It would constantly get screwed up because we would never lock the car in the garage
Old 11-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Leftover Hippie

Mein Auto: 2010 328xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
the original owner on my 05 x3 must have disabled this feature. But my 01 e39 would be hit or miss. My understanding is that the key is set when you lock the car. It would constantly get screwed up because we would never lock the car in the garage
Actually that is why things work for us - if your car is unlocked just press the unlock button on your key and the seat will move to the proper position for that key. It doesn't matter which key did the last lock/unlock cycle when the car is unlocked. The problem comes in when the car has been locked with one key and then unlocked with the other one - it will not move the seat to the desired position of the other key.

2005 X3 2.5i - Mystic Blue
2010 328ix Sports Wagon - Space Gray
Old 11-07-2009, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
For 2008, the keys come with stickers with 1, 2, star, and some other shapes. The manual says that the car can be programmed to recognize the key and set the seat settings but there may be some flukes as others mentioned.

Pushing the 1, 2, or 3 seat buttons moves the seat to the correct memory setting but can be pushed once with the car door open (like before you sit down) or pushed and held down if the door is closed and you are seated.

The rear view mirror doesn't react to the seat settings. I happened to notice that position 1 works best with the mirror in the day position and position 3's driver likes it in the night position. This is purely by chance. The night position works with the other driver at night but the position 3 driver doesn't have a night setting because the mirror is adjusted to be lined up optimized for daytime use when in the night position.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Ours work perfectly, but as someone else said, you have to hit unlock to retrieve that key's previous settings.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330XI, 2007 X3
The dropping of reverse works for me only if the mirror is not point out too much. If it is, it does tilt but probably less than a 1/4 of inch down. If I set the mirror to look more to the inside, then it works well...