Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 10-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Certified Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E65 E30
Resource - BMW secret moves

there are still some things i find out about my 7 that i didnt know it could do. im pretty new to the late model BMWs i used to have an e30 and it was like any other car but these new breed of cars just keep amazing me with what they can do. so i ask you bimmer know it alls, what secret moves do the 7 do that most people dont know about?...

-ive read that when youre about to turn off the 7 and hold down the start/stop button it puts on the parking brake and puts the car in park and ejects the key automatically....

any other cool things this car does......
Ads by Google
Old 10-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Most of which occurs when new software is introduced or a new model update such as "facelift" is offered.Much of these newer "tricks" and cool functions are discovered by all of you before we hear about them.Technical Reference materials does not get updated when a software change was made that added any features.Thank you for this post,I now have something that may make a salesman buy me lunch as a bet.Keep them coming,ill get them "salespeople" on behalf of additional charges prior to delivery of vehicle.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
if you dont push the key fob all the way into the ignition and it slips and pops out, it will still start. its happened to me a few times and happens when you push it in at an angle. its like ghetto comfort access.

there is a hidden change compartment in the front of the center console wall. the cd holder in the center pops out and adds extra space in there.

you can make the cd changer flap go up and down by pressing the eject button 2 times quickly in succession and the cd changer wont pop out.

the books to the car (case and all) fit nicely into the rear arm rest.

if you want all the sunshades to pop up just hold the front driver sunshade button for a 3 seconds and they all pop up or down.

if you hold both turn signal stalk buttons in for about 10 seconds, the gas and mpg meter disappear and make it nice and clean all black gauges.

in the trunk where the tools are, there is a place for the valet fob to be put underneath the wrenches.

if you enable DTC button in the Settings menu, you can do a burn out but you can't get the car sideways and it won't take away your power when you need to get going quickly.

you owe me some free lunches.

The Only 745i to Consider
Old 10-11-2007, 06:20 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW745On19's View Post
if you dont push the key fob all the way into the ignition and it slips and pops out, it will still start. its happened to me a few times and happens when you push it in at an angle. its like ghetto comfort access.
ill try that one

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 10-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Certified Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E65 E30
Quote:

there is a hidden change compartment in the front of the center console wall. the cd holder in the center pops out and adds extra space in there.

you can make the cd changer flap go up and down by pressing the eject button 2 times quickly in succession and the cd changer wont pop out.

if you want all the sunshades to pop up just hold the front driver sunshade button for a 3 seconds and they all pop up or down.

if you hold both turn signal stalk buttons in for about 10 seconds, the gas and mpg meter disappear and make it nice and clean all black gauges.

in the trunk where the tools are, there is a place for the valet fob to be put underneath the wrenches.

if you enable DTC button in the Settings menu, you can do a burn out but you can't get the car sideways and it won't take away your power when you need to get going quickly.

yeah! thats music to my ears...im going to download the updated owners manuel and see whats new .......for now keep those secrets coming......i like the ghetto comfort access and sunshade option...
Old 10-12-2007, 02:35 AM
BMW E65 745i

Send a message via MSN to Lappy
Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:

Those are nice hints!!! escpecially the sunshades trick. Nice one!!! to bad I can't buy you lunch for this one

Trick from Danny Z also sounds nice. perhaps I'll give it a try driving home in a few hours.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: M35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappy View Post
Those are nice hints!!! escpecially the sunshades trick. Nice one!!! to bad I can't buy you lunch for this one

Trick from Danny Z also sounds nice. perhaps I'll give it a try driving home in a few hours.
loved that truning off the gauges , looks nice with ony speedometer and tach
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 03-11-2010, 12:13 PM
BLACKBEAST750LI

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW750LI M-SPORT
Smile Thanks for the tips

[QUOTE=Lappy;2714228]Those are nice hints!!! escpecially the sunshades trick. Nice one!!! to bad I can't buy you lunch for this one

Trick from Danny Z also sounds nice. perhaps I'll give it a try driving home in a few hours

Thanks for the tips... I always learn something new here!
Old 10-14-2007, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 745i
Quote:
Does anyone even use the cd holder? I haven't picked up my car yet (I hope tuesday) but I would think the room would be more useful, no? How do you get it out? When I test drove the car (I remembered reading this) I tried to pull up and it didn't budge, but I didn't pull that hard because I didn't want to break it.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:40 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP007 View Post
Does anyone even use the cd holder? I haven't picked up my car yet (I hope tuesday) but I would think the room would be more useful, no? How do you get it out? When I test drove the car (I remembered reading this) I tried to pull up and it didn't budge, but I didn't pull that hard because I didn't want to break it.
you press the button and the holder comes up

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 10-14-2007, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: M35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
you press the button and the holder comes up
what button sunny?
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 10-15-2007, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: M3, 750i, 325iC, 323i
Quote:
there is a hidden change compartment in the front of the center console wall.

Where is this?

2007 750i
2000 323i
1995 M3
1991 325iC
2006 MINI Cooper
Old 10-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Master of the Universe

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasser View Post
Where is this?
On the inside of the center console. It is found near the top on the wall closest to the front of the car.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:41 AM
E65/E66 Helper Man.......

Send a message via AIM to harjothundal Send a message via MSN to harjothundal
Mein Auto: BMW 745 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA 7 View Post
On the inside of the center console. It is found near the top on the wall closest to the front of the car.
its hidden, but its a snap type of "button" that will hide easily... its right above the switch to control air into the center console... you most likely will not see it, just push around with your hands and you'll eventually find it...
Old 03-06-2008, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA 7 View Post

But it only holds like 4 quarters. I find the bottom drawer above the CD player the best for change.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 10-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Be My Wife.

Send a message via MSN to sunstorm
Mein Auto: BMW, only BMW.
Quote:
That's a nice one!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 PM
BLACKBEAST750LI

Thanks for the tips!

[QUOTE=BmW745On19's;2713532]if you dont push the key fob all the way into the ignition and it slips and pops out, it will still start. its happened to me a few times and happens when you push it in at an angle. its like ghetto comfort access.

you owe me some free lunches. :

Thanks for the cool tips!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
BLACKBEAST750LI

Smile Thanks for teh tips!

Thanks for the tips! Very helpful

Last edited by blackbeast750li; 03-11-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: INCORRECT SPELLING!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:24 PM
BLACKBEAST750LI

Smile Thanks for the tips!

Thanks for the tips! Very helpful
Old 03-17-2010, 02:08 AM

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745i Sport
Not sure if it's been posted b4 but when it's dark and you've just parked up with ignition off and about to get out the car ...

Pull the Full Beam Light Stalk towards you (as if going to flash your lights)......your Main Beam and Rear Lights will stay On for 30 secs allowing you to see where your going. (even after car is locked)
Old 03-09-2013, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Quote:

Where is sunshade button? I have 02 745i.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:32 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Every BMW owner should download and re-read the owner's manual once a year. There are AMAZING things in there.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Be My Wife.

Send a message via MSN to sunstorm
Mein Auto: BMW, only BMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Every BMW owner should download and re-read the owner's manual once a year. There are AMAZING things in there.
but where can i download it? thanks!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: '05 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
can you provide a link for the downloads?
Much appreciated
Old 04-13-2008, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: Kubota on 48's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 745Mike View Post
can you provide a link for the downloads?
Much appreciated
http://www.analogstereo.com/bmw_7_owners_manual.htm

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK