Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-13-2008, 12:48 AM

Mein Auto: E39/ 520i
4.4V8 Chugging Running Rough

Hi Please be gentle as this is my first thread.
My X5 V8-4.4 Has started running very rough. It is not cutting out and I have no warning lights on. I have checked all the pipes hoses for a Vac Air Leak and have also checked the Throttle valve and cleaned it.
The Mass Air flow filter/Meter seems clean.I have been advised it may be one of the CPS cam position sensors. From the rear exhaust system as it is a left hand drive(Middle East version) the twin exhust on the drivers-left side is smooth but the twin exhaust on the passanger side is chugging but not misfiring.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction. I also have a loss of power and feels like the accelerator is spongy or a delay before power comes on from pressing does this sond like an Air Leak????/.
Ads by Google
Old 04-06-2012, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: Michigan USA
sounds like a CPS could be a possibility, but i would first look at the spark plugs and compression test the one bank. rough exhaust on one side makes me think compression issue in a cylinder or combustion issue. spark plug or coil not yet misfiring but weak?? good luck
Old 05-11-2012, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: x5
I have a 2006 x5 3.0 and it started running rough. Turned out to be the crankcase ventilation valve went bad. It has a orange rubber seal in the middle that goes out around 80, 000 miles. It cost about $500 to fix but was told it would be a lot less for the 4.4 litre. It also fouled out cylinder 1 and 5 because it allowed oil in the cylinder.