Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-27-2003, 11:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw
Post If the customer wants it, I will have to find a way....

So a X5 customer,Andy, contacted me about a week ago and was extremely interested in getting the paddle shift kit for his 2001 X5 4.4i. Amazingly, he saw my ad in a UK magazine last year. But he never had a chance to contact me until lately. He wanted the M3 SMG steering wheel but not the titanium shadow trim. Turns out that he is a huge fan of light polar wood trim. After consulting a couple of places, he and I gathered that a customized wood trim for the M3 SMG steering wheel costs about US$350 ~ US$400. Not cheap!

Andy brought along his Dremel set, thinking of cutting the trim piece to fit the wheel, but I hate to deface such a well-made wood trim. Spent a good 2 hours or so modifying the M3 SMG wheel and finally, so we ended up with this instead. I saved him US$400 and he drove home a happy X5 paddle-shifter.

So can I say Mr Paddle.Shift has done it again?

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1 Supercharged E46 M54B25.
NASA TTD So Cal. Track blog: VSETrack

Ads by Google
Old 04-28-2003, 12:23 AM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Nice...

I suppose it's better that the trim be slightly longer rather than slightly shorter....

I just swapped my stock sport wheel trim with the Titanium Shadow trim off an M3 wheel I had laying around.... needless to say, the bottom spoke is a little short... really shows how much fatter and beefier the M3 wheel is... looks kinda strange... there's about a 1/2 cm gap from the bottom of the trim piece to the wheel, but if I don't look close enough, I don't really notice it too much....

Guess it's more incentive for me to get that dreamy M3 wheel I've been dreaming and drooling over...

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 04-28-2003, 12:44 AM
Madame X

Send a message via AIM to Katt Send a message via Yahoo to Katt
Mein Auto: A Black Katt X
Looks good

Katt
Old 04-28-2003, 09:29 AM
X-Rated Cannuck

Mein Auto: none
ALl I want to know is where did he get that crazy wood trim for around climate controls/ashtray etc ?!!??!?!?

That ain't factory on this side of the pond !!
Old 04-28-2003, 10:49 AM

John, the gap is there. Remind me to point it out to everyone at the next TS. The tribe has to see!

Quote:
Originally posted by doeboy
Nice...

I suppose it's better that the trim be slightly longer rather than slightly shorter....

I just swapped my stock sport wheel trim with the Titanium Shadow trim off an M3 wheel I had laying around.... needless to say, the bottom spoke is a little short... really shows how much fatter and beefier the M3 wheel is... looks kinda strange... there's about a 1/2 cm gap from the bottom of the trim piece to the wheel, but if I don't look close enough, I don't really notice it too much....

Guess it's more incentive for me to get that dreamy M3 wheel I've been dreaming and drooling over...

Old 04-28-2003, 10:51 AM

Good observation! That is a customized piece. If you notice the inlay around the power window buttons are trimmed in wood too. Andy is a fanatic when it comes to customizing wood trims for his X5!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tominizer
ALl I want to know is where did he get that crazy wood trim for around climate controls/ashtray etc ?!!??!?!?

That ain't factory on this side of the pond !!

Old 04-28-2003, 11:08 AM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
John, the gap is there. Remind me to point it out to everyone at the next TS. The tribe has to see!
Gimme a break.... I was bored and felt the need to tinker a bit...

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 05-05-2003, 03:13 AM
Hi

Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
Woaw Vince, YOU DA MAN!