Oh, you're NOT going to believe what just happened to me.. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Angry Oh, you're NOT going to believe what just happened to me..

So, I take my car to Flow BMW (the one that's on Peters Creek Pkwy, in Winston-Salem) to have my tire looked at. Sitting in the lounge, reading my book. A pleasant looking fellow comes out.

- Hi, I'm the general manager, please come with me.

I'm a little apprehensive but follow anyway. Racking my brain, trying to figure out what I did wrong. I don't have a chip in my car or anything, everything is stock... Walk into his office. Dimly lit, there's another dour-looking dude sitting in the corner. He's not smiling, kind of gives me a menacing stare.

- Have a seat.

Ookay then. I sit down.

- Is your alias c-o-o-n-t-i-e on bimmerfest?

I go, "HUH?"

- ARE YOU COONTIE?

I stammer, "Uh.. no." (OK, I wasn't gonna crack on the first question! Once the cattleprods were to come out, maybe then but surely not immediately. Plus, I think I'd be less flabbergasted if he had said, "We have a new M3 we don't need, it's your to keep.")

- Well, we have a reason to believe you are.

Then, he takes out a manila folder and (looking at it upside-down), it's full of my bimmerfest print-outs, certain passages highlighted. He takes a page out.

- It says here you once referred to buying a car at our dealership as "like being sodomized with a broomstick."

I squirm a little and go, "So, you have your own little Gestapo research unit, is that it?"

The sullen-looking dude in the corner (at this point they got the whole good cop/bad cop production thing going on here) says, "We don't like it when people maliciously slander our dealership."

I kinda stammer.. "Well, it wasn't slander, really, I just told people the truth. I didn't like being treated like an idiot by your saleswoman, it just wasn't a pleasant experience. Especially that when I offered $1k over ED invoice to your sales lady over there, she laughed in my face and said she's worked for 15 years and never did ED and no way would I get a 3yr lease for less than $700/month. I then went to Ricki in NY @ DiFeo and leased my car in 10 mins! For the price I wanted! AND! She didn't laugh in my face! So, how about that?!"

The good cop says, "So, you like Dunkin Donuts?"

I go, "what?!"

He says (taking another post from the folder) - right here, you said, "There's a Dunkin Donuts across the street, you can wait there during service."

I'm like, "Ok. SO?" (trying to see if these two really, REALLY hate Dunkin Donuts for some reason. They didn't look like it though.)

(cue in the bad cop)

- Well, when you go buy a donut that costs $3.50, do you offer them three dollars?!

I go, "A car is not a donut, first of all. Second of all, if you're so concerned about good image, why not just offer people fair prices, instead of putting on a whole dog & pony show?"

He says, "Because buying a car is like buying a horse. People have been doing it for centuries. It's called, 'NEGOTIATION.'"

I'm like, "Well, why would you waste my time in the name of this 'negotiation' instead of just selling it for a fair price and be done with it?"

Anyway, this "Waiting for Godot"-like back & forth theater continues for a little bit. Then the bad cop says, "OK, if you hate us so much, you can't come here any longer" or some such thing. I took my book and left, basically.
___

Thinking about it for a bit, I'm sure they were gunning for me for a while. I'm stunned that a dealership would have this Stasi-like group of people, trying to flush out whoever's posting bad reviews about them.

What do you guys think? Incredible, eh?

[Note from Moderator: The owner of the dealership, Mr. Don Flow, first replies to the OP in post #835.]

Last edited by Emission; 07-12-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Wow, that is incredible. Don't they think you are going to post what happened?

Retired 2012 X5 35d DSB - Prem, SAV, Cold, Sound, Tech packages, Apps Delivered 6/6/12

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Power View Post
Wow, that is incredible. Don't they think you are going to post what happened?
Good question. They were probably so pissed that they didn't care.

It's kind of funny because the last time I felt like this when I got a Saturday detention from my HS vice-principal for being late to English AP 5 times in a row.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 330i, R90/6, R60/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by coontie View Post
Good question. They were probably so pissed that they didn't care.

It's kind of funny because the last time I felt like this when I got a Saturday detention from my HS vice-principal for being late to English AP 5 times in a row.
Why did you go back to them in the first place?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:54 PM
BigTime Defender

Mein Auto: 2015 428i Convertible
Thats wild! If I dimed out my local dealership, I'd be toast given my screen name on this site as well as the description of my car. It would take them about 30 secs to figure out who I was.

BTW its not defamation (libel or slander) if its the truth. Sounds like the dealership sucks and you did well to get your BMW elsewhere.

I'd have a hard time taking such a lame interrogation seriously though
Estoril Blue, Black Dakota w/Blue, Premium, HK Sound, M Sport
Pkg, Heated Seats

Former BMWs
2011 X5 35d
Sapphire w/Beige Leather
Premium, Cold Weather, Technology, Premium Sound, and Sport
Packages. 19" wheels, LUX H8 v3 DRL Upgrade
2008 335i Coupe
ZPP,ZSP, 6FL, 4AS, 2XA, Sirius, Nav, Heated Seats
-Space Grey Metallic w/Grey Dakota Leather
Old 06-27-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaDriver View Post

I'd have a hard time taking such a lame interrogation seriously though
Heh. Now I know what spies have going through their heads when their covers are blown.

I swear, it was BEYOND surreal. I felt like any minute they were going to put a hood over my head & haul me off to some sub-basement BMW dungeon, where leather-clad S&M dudes would go medieval on my ass, Pulp Fiction style.

Whatever. I don't really wanna say any more bad stuff about them because they know where I live now.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 340i
Quote:
. I felt like any minute they were going to put a hood over my head & haul me off to some sub-basement BMW dungeon, where leather-clad S&M dudes would go medieval on my ass, Pulp Fiction style.
I think you actually mean Formula 1 (or FIA) style don't you. Maybe these guys can find out who caught Max with his pants down.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Heh. Now I know what spies have going through their heads when their covers are blown.

I swear, it was BEYOND surreal. I felt like any minute they were going to put a hood over my head & haul me off to some sub-basement BMW dungeon, where leather-clad S&M dudes would go medieval on my ass, Pulp Fiction style.

Whatever. I don't really wanna say any more bad stuff about them because they know where I live now.
Move along. Nothing to see here.

Last edited by pony_trekker; 06-28-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: MIsread original post.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: Alpinweiss F32
You are a finer gentleman than I am. I would have told them where to kiss me and walked out. I assure you that the conversation would have gone like this.......
2015 435i ///M Sport | Alpine White | Coral Red | 19" | Auto | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | Dynamic Handling | Lighting | Premium | Technology | M-Sport Brakes | Rear Sunshade | HK | Leather Dashboard | MPPK | MPE | Dinan Suspension | BMWCCA #409820
PCD: 10/31/2014
Old 06-27-2008, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP8 View Post
You are a finer gentleman than I am. I would have told them where to kiss me and walked out.
After the first question, I would have asked what they wanted to ask me about the car that I brought in for service. If they had persisted, I would have told them that the conversation would have to continue with my attorney in the room. Then I would have walked out.

Sounds like the OP got them in one of their soft spots (kind of like Ross Perot's response to how to get an elephant (GM) to dance - take a sharp stick and start poking in the soft spots....)
Old 07-01-2008, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 335I Convertible
Quote:
You are a finer gentleman than I am. I would have told them where to kiss me and walked out. I assure you that the conversation would have gone like this.......
I probably would have done more of a Reese Bobby, Ricky Bobby's dad in Talledega Nights for those who don't know, and flipped out like he did at Applebys.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 01 525it and 02 M3
Thanks for posting. I'll be sure to steer clear of Flow.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi coupe
Unbelievable ! Hope you have better luck with the next one you go to.I have had a very bad experience while i was bimmer shopping.
Venue: Markel BMW, Omaha(50 miles from my home - Lincoln).
Background: I went to the dealership with my wife after enquiring about the CPO 3-series from their inventory.The salesperson(#1) on the phone confirms the ones i was interested were indeed, certified(CPO).
Scene :The salesperson(#1) is no where to be found.So some other chum(#2) tries to help us.We had the stock ids with us, but it appeared they lacked close monitoring of their inventory.He finally locates the car after making us wait for almost an hour for the test drive.During which #2 tells me the car is not cerifiable.We were upset because the very purpose of us making this trip was because #1 told us all the cars are certified and that the price is inclusive of CPO-ing.Slowly we realized the baiting-game #1 played on us.
We come back after the TD to be greeted by the original salesperson.He looked surprised when we told him what we found out about the certification.He made up some excuse and started with the negotiation process.Our initial offer was a little low, but hey, who doesnt like a good deal? He apparently was in ahurry or some, he just got up and left.It was so rude of him after making us unnecessarily wait.We were interested in another car and wanted to bump the offer, but his attitude was a complete turn-off for me and my wife.
#2 didnt even do anything to help.

I STRONGLY recommend not going to this dealership.Say "NO" to Markel BMW, OMAHA.

06 e90 - 103k(retired) packages - Prem., CWP and grin ear to ear.

Last edited by suju; 06-27-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 Mazda 6 GT
Quote:
So, I take my car to Flow BMW (the one that's on Peters Creek Pkwy, in Winston-Salem) to have my tire looked at. Sitting in the lounge, reading my book. A pleasant looking fellow comes out.

- Hi, I'm the general manager, please come with me.

I'm a little apprehensive but follow anyway. Racking my brain, trying to figure out what I did wrong. I don't have a chip in my car or anything, everything is stock... Walk into his office. Dimly lit, there's another dour-looking dude sitting in the corner. He's not smiling, kind of gives me a menacing stare.

- Have a seat.

Ookay then. I sit down.

- Is your alias c-o-o-n-t-i-e on bimmerfest?

I go, "HUH?"

- ARE YOU COONTIE?

I stammer, "Uh.. no." (OK, I wasn't gonna crack on the first question! Once the cattleprods were to come out, maybe then but surely not immediately. Plus, I think I'd be less flabbergasted if he had said, "We have a new M3 we don't need, it's your to keep.")

- Well, we have a reason to believe you are.

Then, he takes out a manila folder and (looking at it upside-down), it's full of my bimmerfest print-outs, certain passages highlighted. He takes a page out.

- It says here you once referred to buying a car at our dealership as "like being sodomized with a broomstick."

I squirm a little and go, "So, you have your own little Gestapo research unit, is that it?"

The sullen-looking dude in the corner (at this point they got the whole good cop/bad cop production thing going on here) says, "We don't like it when people maliciously slander our dealership."

I kinda stammer.. "Well, it wasn't slander, really, I just told people the truth. I didn't like being treated like an idiot by your saleswoman, it just wasn't a pleasant experience. Especially that when I offered $1k over ED invoice to your sales lady over there, she laughed in my face and said she's worked for 15 years and never did ED and no way would I get a 3yr lease for less than $700/month. I then went to Ricki in NY @ DiFeo and leased my car in 10 mins! For the price I wanted! AND! She didn't laugh in my face! So, how about that?!"

The good cop says, "So, you like Dunkin Donuts?"

I go, "what?!"

He says (taking another post from the folder) - right here, you said, "There's a Dunkin Donuts across the street, you can wait there during service."

I'm like, "Ok. SO?" (trying to see if these two really, REALLY hate Dunkin Donuts for some reason. They didn't look like it though.)

(cue in the bad cop)

- Well, when you go buy a donut that costs $3.50, do you offer them three dollars?!

I go, "A car is not a donut, first of all. Second of all, if you're so concerned about good image, why not just offer people fair prices, instead of putting on a whole dog & pony show?"

He says, "Because buying a car is like buying a horse. People have been doing it for centuries. It's called, 'NEGOTIATION.'"

I'm like, "Well, why would you waste my time in the name of this 'negotiation' instead of just selling it for a fair price and be done with it?"

Anyway, this "Waiting for Godot"-like back & forth theater continues for a little bit. Then the bad cop says, "OK, if you hate us so much, you can't come here any longer" or some such thing. I took my book and left, basically.
___

Thinking about it for a bit, I'm sure they were gunning for me for a while. I'm stunned that a dealership would have this Stasi-like group of people, trying to flush out whoever's posting bad reviews about them.

What do you guys think? Incredible, eh?

WOW The BMW dealership Gestapo really does exist.
2007 530xiT -- Titanium Silver / Black Dakota / Nav / PP / Step / Sirius / HD / CWP / CA /Rear shades / 2 Diono Monterey Booster Seats in Pink :>) / Hüper Optik tint -- Ordered 08/19/06 -- Delivered 10/17/06 -- 59 days order to delivery.

"Money is a strange business. People who haven't got it aim at it strongly. People who have it are full of troubles." -- Ayrton Senna

BMW CCA Member
Old 06-27-2008, 02:46 PM
BMWcoholic

Mein Auto: E90 M3
I'd have a tough time not telling them to go f*#@ themselves. I read your post. Trust me I've said way worse about my local dealer but they took the high road with me and it worked. You catually complimented them about a bunch of things.

Now I trust my dealer and deal with them regularly. We have a very positive relationship and I recommend them to others because they went out of their way to find out why I was flaming them and they did their best to correct it. Thats a professional approach that BMW would endorse. I got the same crap from BMW about the dealers. So they don't have any control over their distribution nertwork? For a company so focused on brand image I find that hard to believe.

Part of being in retail is taking sh1t from customers, doesn't matter if they don't like it. Who exactly do they think they are? They should be asking you what they did wrong and how they can correct it. Maybe apoligize for coming off so arrogant and seeing it from your side.

Those d1cks shouldn't have a franchise.

What a bunch of a$$hats.

Last edited by jbeene; 06-27-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: Alpinweiss F32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeene View Post
I'd have a tough time not telling them to go f*#@ themselves.

BMW Corporate should hear about this. Part of being in retail is taking sh1t from customers, doesn't matter if they don't like it.

I'm not sure BMW would be too happy with this kind of heavy handed treatment. Who exactly do they think they are? They should be asking you what they did wrong and how they can correct it.

I was having all kinds of issues with my local dealer, the approach they took was what are your concerns, how can we rectify them etc. Now I trust them and deal with them regularly. We have a very positive relationship now and I recommend them to others because they went out of their way to find out why I was flaming them and they did their best to correct it. Thats a professional approach that BMW would endorse.

Those d1cks shouldn't have a franchise.

What a bunch of a$$hats.
I couldn't agree more. I would have used more expletives in that room than they have ever heard in their life. That is no way to run a business. :asshole:
2015 435i ///M Sport | Alpine White | Coral Red | 19" | Auto | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | Dynamic Handling | Lighting | Premium | Technology | M-Sport Brakes | Rear Sunshade | HK | Leather Dashboard | MPPK | MPE | Dinan Suspension | BMWCCA #409820
PCD: 10/31/2014
Old 06-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW-less for now
Quote:
"Well, it wasn't slander, really, I just told people the truth.
Sorry buddy, but you lost credibility right here. This is not The truth and you basically acted like a jerk. They don't owe you anything but a normal business relation. You wanted to impose your invoice+1K$ theory. They have the choice and the right of turning you down. This doesn't give you the right to SLANDER them with a stupid and childish statement like you did.

GROW UP.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Sorry buddy, but you lost credibility right here. This is not The truth and you basically acted like a jerk. They don't owe you anything but a normal business relation. You wanted to impose your invoice+1K$ theory. They have the choice and the right of turning you down. This doesn't give you the right to SLANDER them with a stupid and childish statement like you did.

GROW UP.
IMPOSE?! I made what people usually call "an offer." She refused it. I hung up and never talked to the lady again.

What exactly was I trying to impose here?!?!

They treated me as if I were a 16yr noob. When somebody asked for an opinion on the dealership, I gave it to the person. Simple as that. I may have used a colorful language but I was being honest.

Read my original post from 6 months ago. I said their prices are horrible but they all seemed like nice people. I'm certain of the former but no longer sure of the latter.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: no car yet,
wow, what a bunch of asses. i hope they didn't vandalize your car while you were in the office.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3; 2008 335i Coupe
No Problem

These guys were just using their well honed techniques for fun.
Their real job is with the Australian Taxation Office.
They read everything. They know everything.
And then they tell my wife !!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 - 330i - ZHP
WOW!!!!

I guess this incident is another example of being watchful & careful of what one says and does online.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011.5 E90 ZCP ///M3
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. I would have used more expletives in that room than they have ever heard in their life. That is no way to run a business. :asshole:
+1

Dude my VW dealer told me to take a hike too. If you want a good read you can troll over to my thread on Golkmk5 (http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49296) and see what happened to me.

How was Ricki to deal with? I spoke with her once and she seemed nice and straight forward. I plan on doing an ED next year and she explained the whole MSD deal even if I'm from NYS where its not possible to use MSDs to lower the rate.
2013 GL450 (TOTALED)
2013 G37x (Lease Returned)
2013 Cayenne S (SOLD)
2010 G37x (Lease Returned)
2011.5 ///M3 Sedan (ED 3/18/11) (SOLD)
2008 335i Sedan (SOLD)
2007 GTI (SOLD)
2006 RSX (SOLD)
1995 Civic (SOLD)
1994 Jetta RIP
Old 06-30-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk5 View Post
How was Ricki to deal with? I spoke with her once and she seemed nice and straight forward. I plan on doing an ED next year and she explained the whole MSD deal even if I'm from NYS where its not possible to use MSDs to lower the rate.
She's pretty cool. I got my car from her and so did many other people, including the ED uber-guru himself, JSpira.

Pleasant, no nonsense. Got the whole deal done in 15 mins. She's super busy though, so if you don't get an email reply right away, just give her a call. 9 times out of 10 I was able to get a hold of her in the matter of minutes.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 11 328 xi
I agree -write to bmw and tell it like itis . if they want to keep there great rep up they should look into the situation of these jerks . i would not have been so cordial with them,and told em' where to stick the donut
Old 07-04-2008, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 - 550i
Don....

It's nice to see such a well-thought out reply! But I have to ask the question.... How do you sell 500 cars per day!??!?!?!

2008 550i - Deep Sea Blue / Grey Leather / SAT Transmission / Sport Package

Danbury, CT

My vehicles that have passed to others

68 VW Beetle
73 Porsche 914 2.0
73 Porsche 911 S
78 VW Scirocco
79 BMW 320i
86 Saab 900 Turbo
88 Porsche 928S
88 Porsche 944 Turbo
90 Audi 90 S Quattro
96 Audi 100 Quattro
00 BMW 328i Sport
00 Porsche 996 Carrera 2
06 Mini Cooper S - Checkmate

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search