BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z3 M roadster 2001 - whistling

5K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  jrich4411 
#1 ·
I don't know if any roadster owners experience a whistling above speeds 85mph+ with top up or down, with windows up or down, or at slightly lower and going against strong headwinds.

This is driving me nuts. Does anyone have an idea where that whistling is coming from?

I tried turning on the wiper to see whether the arms and/or blades that were causing it but that wasn't it.

Could it be from the side mirror(s)? The antennae? Where?

#2 ·
Never had that problem at higher speeds. The antenna makes sense,easy to find out as they just unscrew out. I did have one of the air ducts come out where the road lamps would be,just clips back in. At thoses speeds you could always crank the volume up and only hear the sub woooofer:yikes:

#6 ·
Common problem caused by air leak in the seal at the bottom of your windscreen, this has been reported frequently by others and is no cause for concern but very disconcerting
when it happens and often sounds like it is comming from behind the dash.

#11 ·
Thank you for your input.

After searching for that particular TSB you mentioned, I could not find it. I only found (for '01 roadsters):

(1) Electrical System
(2) Engine and Engine Cooling System

Would somebody know a better site for that particular TSB or better cut and paste it here.

Thanks.

#13 ·
When mine was whistling (I forget how many windshields ago), I just put some narrowly cut pieces of double-sided carpet tape under it. I have no idea how long it would last since my windshield was replaced not long afterward. But it worked for the time it was in there. With no plans to install a new windshield anytime soon, I'd use a small amount of weatherstrip adhesive.

#14 ·
Any pics of the winshield seal repairs that stopped the whistle?

Hi,

I have the same whistle as shown in the Youtube video. High speed only, top up and/or down, especially bad in cross winds. For me, in enough wind I can get it between 65-80 MPH. I was on a 4 hr drive this weekend and it was unbearable for 5-15 minute stretches.

The reason I was hoping for pics is that my Bright Red 1997 has the all black windshield and A pillar so I'm totally sure what I should be doing.

To the poster who used the 1/8" rubber cord, did it work long term? Can you share a pic?

Thank you!

1997 Z3 2.8/5spd
Dinan chip/CAI/Supersprint

#17 ·
Umm, 01 M roadster is pointing to the wrong part for the problem in the video. It's part #1. Part #8 shouldn't whistle with the top down.

The problem is that air gets between the glass and the front edge of part #1 and makes a sound like the childhood trick of blowing a wide blade of grass between your thumbs. It's a reed vibration type of noise. Carpet tape worked for me, but if you don't plan on replacing part #1 anytime soon (windshield is in good shape), I'd use Permatex 81158 (black) or 80050 (clear).

#19 · (Edited)
my bad. i should have been a tad more detailed. as i said, it was at the corner of the a-frame that i stuck my finger in the seal's hole and the whistling tone changed, indicating that there was air rushing through that area. however, this did not mean that the remedy would be applied at that area.

what i did to remedy the whistling was to take a long string about the thickness used in your mom's pot roast -- about 1/8 inch. you stick the string (starting at the bottom right (or left) and up and around to the other side) between the windshield and its seal. you can pry it open with your fingernails (i had at that time, about 1/8 inch long sturdy nails) and push the string along the inside of the seal as far as you can. you'll notice that you can see and feel the edge of the glass; and this is where the string should sit. for extra measure, i also placed another string on the outer side of the windshield seal where the seal meets the metal a-frame using the same technique.

after, i took the car out for a test and ran at different speeds -- 80mph - 120mph, and held it for 10-15 seconds at different speeds. the whistling is gone.

woot woot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.