Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:13 PM
registered bimmer user

Mein Auto: 325e 1987
a/c just stopped

so i recharged my system about 3 days ago, it had previously been converted to r-134a, yet i wanted to refresh it and bough a few o rings and new fittings. i had the system vaccumed for about 30 minutes. Then i left it for about 10 minutes with the gauge connected to see if the pressure came back , and it didnt.

I went ahead and recharged it, and by the second can thats when the blue button turned on, and the compressor did too and i had A/C.
However yesterday i was driving home and the a/c was on and in one of those moments that i spaced out and came back the blue button was off and so was the compressor.

i pressed it a few times, moved the vents position selectors to many different positions,checked fuses(replaced blown ones), and it still wont turn on. what could be the possible cause of the blue light and compressor not turning on. please help its florida and its hot.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Running life's race...

Mein Auto: 91 318i
Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM) links

http://www.wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

Download the appropriate one for your vehicle. Extensive AC troubleshooting section inside.

When you recharged, did you also add oil for the compressor?

Might have to add some dye and let it circulate to eliminate leaks in the system as an issue.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 AM
registered bimmer user

yes
no
and i have it but it wont put the stuff in as the system is full, not leaks.

also i tried another push button, and nothing, #20 fuse is good.
Is there a relay for it.like an unloader relay.

tried bridging the two wires for the pressure switch, but nothing happened, no sparks, nothing.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Running life's race...

There's a six-terminal relay called the Evaporator Temperature Regulator. It's a bit of a pain to get to as you have to remove the rear and center console to get to it. The ETM will help you in locating it.

Once it's out, you can apply the tests in the ETM to the socket it plugs into.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:05 PM
registered bimmer user

and this can cause the button to not turn on?

so its behind the center console??

i looked at the etm and there is a inline fuse of 2amps, and another one as well but is more an iode
also the relay k7 supplies the fuse #20 so lets see what happens.

Last edited by faviolosky; 08-25-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Running life's race...

A twist in the tale

Unlike my two E30s (M42 and 325i), you have an eta and that doesn't have an ETR. Attached is a schematic that shows the electrical gauntlet that has to be negotiated for your AC to run.

Note in the lower left there is a compressor oil temperature switch on the eta.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	325e-AC-controls.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	198550  

Last edited by romeomike; 08-25-2009 at 07:36 PM.