Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3
Question High Pitched Whistle When Turning Wheels.

I recently purchased a 2006 BMW X3 and I noticed that when I turn the wheels in either direction I hear a high pitched whistle during the turning. I took the vehicle into the dealers in White Plains, New York and was told by the mechanic that that's a perfectly normal sound. This is my first BMW but for $35,000.00 I would expect that a luxury vehicle would turn as quietely as a $12,000.00 Honda Civic. I am willing to take it to another dealership. Has anyone experienced something similar? Thank yu for the assistance in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 09-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
i have a '06 and it doesn't make any sound at all when turning the wheels...neither should yours. you paid a lot of money for a used BMW and you deserve a better and more forthcoming (honest) answer than the answer you received. ask the BMW dealer in White Plains if it is normal for a BMW service technician to be tone deaf. or, more to the point, ask them to have a tech who knows what a power steering pump is and how to service it take a look at your car and fix it.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:30 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
i have a '06 and it doesn't make any sound at all when turning the wheels...neither should yours. you paid a lot of money for a used BMW and you deserve a better and more forthcoming (honest) answer than the answer you received. ask the BMW dealer in White Plains if it is normal for a BMW service technician to be tone deaf. or, more to the point, ask them to have a tech who knows what a power steering pump is and how to service it take a look at your car and fix it.
Thank you for the response. I'm definitely going to take the care back in but I'm going to take it to the Orange County BMW from where I purchase the vehicle from. I definitely was leaning toward that fact that the sound wasn't normal but this is my first BMW and there are alot of things that were new to me.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I have an '04, and I get the same noise ONLY AT FULL LOCK. If I relieve the wheel of any pressure, it goes away. It seemed normal to me as my volvo s60, 350z, and Acura TL all made a similar noise in that situation when I had them.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCreateReefs View Post
I recently purchased a 2006 BMW X3 and I noticed that when I turn the wheels in either direction I hear a high pitched whistle during the turning.
If it whistles routinely with any amount of turning - definitely not normal.

If it whistles or makes any similar noise occasionally on full lock - might be normal.

The selling dealer should start by checking the level and condition of the power steering fluid.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
Same here. I have 06 and it makes a noise only at full lock in either direction.
I'm not worried about it as my previous cars had same noise before.

If it's making the noise while turning the wheel, you defnitely should check that out.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Just an FYI, avoid turning your wheels are full lock. Turning your wheels completely creates an extreme amount of pressure. Of course it's okay on rare occaisions when parking for a few seconds.

Previously owned:
'12 Audi TT
'06 Subaru WRX
'01 Audi S4
'02 Acura RSX-S
Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 PM

The Whistling actually starts the minute I begin turning the wheels and not only at full lock. I'm going to schedule an appointment again with another BMW Dealership and have them take a look. Thank you all for the information.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:02 PM
about the mini part....

Send a message via Skype™ to minicrazy592
Mein Auto: E90 M-tech, E30 M-tech
Mine has always made a mechanical sound while turning. I wouldn't exactly call it a high pitched, but there it defiantly a noise. So maybe it's normal?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicrazy592 View Post
Mine has always made a mechanical sound while turning. I wouldn't exactly call it a high pitched, but there it defiantly a noise. So maybe it's normal?
Mine too. Dealer also said it was normal. Is not loud enough to considered another visit.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
I can hear the pump on my 05 when at Full Lock and just ease off then. Nothing during any other position.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 09-08-2009, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 x3
Steering wheel noise

My 04 made that noise when i would turn the wheel just a little each way .
The dealer tried lube on the hub that did not work. So they order a steering rack and will install it on monday . They said that should solve the problem. I have had this noise for 2 years and being near the end of my warranty i decided to have it fixed for good.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6181 View Post
My 04 made that noise when i would turn the wheel just a little each way .
The dealer tried lube on the hub that did not work. So they order a steering rack and will install it on monday . They said that should solve the problem. I have had this noise for 2 years and being near the end of my warranty i decided to have it fixed for good.
I also have had the noice in my power steering... did this repair solve the problem?

Jeff
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 09-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Modern Line
Agree. The noise should only be noticeable at full lock. Normal pump noise shouldn't be noticeable from within the vehicle. With my limited mechanical experience I would guess a slowly failing pump or maybe even power steering fluid...?

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Retired: '07 X3 3.0d M-Sport - '04 X3 2.5i Sportpack - '99 328i E46 - '93 325i E36