Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-08-2009, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Bmw X3
Exclamation X3 DSC Fail After Battery Disconnect

Hello i have a 2006 BMW X3 and recently had to disconnect my battery to work on the car and after i turned it the battery back on and turned on the car i had three lights that remained on a Red Break Light, Yellow ABS light and the Yellow 4X4 light (DSC) light. Any ideas on what might be going on Please help me out
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Electronic gremlins (hopefully).

More than likely, after shutting it down, and re-starting, everything will be back to normal.

You may have already found that.
If not, some people find it needs to be shut down for more than a few minutes for things to get re-set.

If it persists, a trip to the dealer for code reading on their GT1 may be your only recourse.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
This happened to me this weekend after I disconnected the battery for a bit.

The 4x4 light stayed on...I turned the car off...locked it...opened it up again and drove it. As soon as I reached the end of the block, the light disappeared. I guess it just had to be driven for the code to disappear...

Hope it was just a electric gremlin as said above...I hope I don't get it again either- I definitely didn't want to a go visit the dealer.

gl.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:16 AM

well i drove it to work and back with no luck maybe i have to drive it a bit more ?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Darn. Sorry to hear.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting again? Hopefully it would reset it that way.
If that doesn't work- I would also look at the fuses in the fuse box (glove compartment in my car). Check the ones that relate to the given lights that appear on the dash. Maybe one of them blew out and that's why its kicking those lights- esp if you are driving the car and its driving normally.

Other than that, I would just suggest to schedule an appointment with the dealer. I hope someone else has some suggestions....
Old 09-10-2009, 08:13 AM

Im retarted

ok i'll prolly be the laughing stock of the forums after this one (picture provided) pretty much when i disconnected the wire seen in the picture i put it back in the empty spot (no connectors) the "Right Spot" has all the pins to connect to each other omg after i put that in and turned on my car and everything worked i wanted to punch my self in the face so i guess that what drived the DSC and ABS system lmao!!!!!
and i just spent 50 $ for the dealer to try to reset the code and when the GT1 couldn't connect with the dsc or w/e they came back and said we have to charge you 150 $ for do more "Extensive research on the car" *sigh* i guess i deserved that one

Last edited by Tohsen0; 09-10-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Looks like the Bosch ECU transfer box hidden under the big fixed panel in the cargo area floor.

Honest of you to report back on your goof - so the moral of the story is:

Next time I will take pictures before disconnecting key components?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:59 AM

your 100% correct