Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Send a message via AIM to bimmerbarbie
Mein Auto: 93ish 325ish
E36 Tattoos

After waiting forever on the project that never wants to end, and alluding to it a few times, I'll show you guys my newest "mod". I'm aware the vast majority of you will say sand it off and go back in the traditional E36 box.... But, I'm very proud of it and love the way it turned out. The car isn't finished by any means, but this is pretty much the centerpiece so I'll share it as it is. More components are on their way, and hopefully the weather will cooperate this tiMe and allow it all to be clearcoated in a more timely manner.

A little about the designs. Yes, its Sharpie. Was inspired by the Sharpie Lambo and a fellow BMW owner on here; the difference is in the method I used as well as the artwork itself. It took over 30 hours total to do it, including the wetsanding. After my part was completed, it sat around and waited for my painter to clear coat it, then sat around after that waiting to be put back on the car. Thunderstorms every day that the hood was scheduled to be painted and then again for the install... It's taken about 3 months to get the hood back on the car.

Here's the BMW that inspired me to use my car as a canvas:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...162&highlight=

And the Lambo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vodcars...7603104900070/

And now for mine!

Pictures of the hood off the car first to see the details and designs better (pre-clear coat):

And on the car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...

Last edited by bimmerbarbie; 09-28-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: punk... grammar naziing the grammar nazi.... uncool
Ads by Google
Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 AM
hookersandblow

Send a message via AIM to Moeman10
Mein Auto: 1992 325is
I actually really like this, it really shows the individuality, and how well it still looks on our cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Thanks! I wanted something that would express ME, and be a work of art in the process. It had been elusive until I saw Travis's work, the a lightbulb went off and I *had* to do my own. I'm just antsy to finish it all and tie the whole thing together. My fingers are itchy with it! (No, it won't be like the Lambo, that's just too much of a good thing IMO. It will be different than Travis's though.)

Quote:
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...
Old 09-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Varies
Wow looks cool. I like it.
That is some great work.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Fireballs inc.

Send a message via AIM to Mr Gusta
Mein Auto: big turbo hellrot sedan
i love it it really looks hot
but to add flavor to the black i would get some black wheels with a red lip and a little lower in the front and after that i will then admit it to be one of the if not the nicest red e36's i have ever seen

Turbo lag is just a headstart because the chase is more exciting than the win - Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-28-2009, 10:57 AM
IM DA BES

Mein Auto: A rental
I already shared my thoughts of it through chat/text, but for the sake of sharing my opinions, I love it! Its unique in every way and looks baller at the same time . Took a TON of effort and time and it pays off in the end . Keep up the good work Amber and keep ur chin up!

The End .

"The American Dream only makes sense if you're sleeping" - Lowkey
Old 09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
blank

Mein Auto: 07 e92 335i
like i said elsewhere, i really like it. not something i would do for my daily driver, but i am going to hire you to do mine when i get another car as long as you're cool with that
massive kudos for the craftsmanship as well!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
Oh dear, when my fiancee sees this, I will be hiding the silver sharpies so she doesn't do something similar to her black civic. She's a graphic design major, and everything is in sharpie around here.

With the clear coat, it looks awesome.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Search: Top right corner

Mein Auto: e36 m3/4
Never understood this fad, none the less good job!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:03 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Hideous.

Nice work Amber. Looks way better than I thought it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 09-28-2009, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
I'm rather glad it was a "tattoo" on your car, and not a BMW tattoo on yourself. We all saw what happened in the Audi forum with the "dope" tattoo...
Old 09-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMrecovery View Post
I'm rather glad it was a "tattoo" on your car, and not a BMW tattoo on yourself. We all saw what happened in the Audi forum with the "dope" tattoo...
+100000

I've been watching this project go on since what seems like the beginning of time so I didn't realize that was what she was talking about. My first thought was "Oh no, did she really get an E36 tattoo??? " and the dope one came to mind immediately. On opening the thread I was greatly relieved....

Don't get an E36 tattoo Amber. Please.

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 09-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
I really like the artwork, but it's not something I would do. However I think it would look even nicer if you continued the drawings to the fenders and make a fade out effect, rather than it just stopping.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:46 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell

Have you PMed travis? I think he'd love to see it and he doesn't hang around here too much anymore.

Wanna come do mine, I would die to have something like this but I have no artistic talent.

I should buy a hood and deck lid from a junk yard, basecoat them and have a big ass bimmerfest get together and let everyone put a little something on it, then clear over it.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36_Hater433 View Post
i love it it really looks hot
but to add flavor to the black i would get some black wheels with a red lip and a little lower in the front
I have a very specific wheel style that I'm still in the process of looking for. It'll will match perfectly, you'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmy_bimmer View Post
I already shared my thoughts of it through chat/text, but for the sake of sharing my opinions, I love it! Its unique in every way and looks baller at the same time . Took a TON of effort and time and it pays off in the end . Keep up the good work Amber and keep ur chin up!
The End .
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36youngster View Post
like i said elsewhere, i really like it. not something i would do for my daily driver, but i am going to hire you to do mine when i get another car as long as you're cool with that
massive kudos for the craftsmanship as well!
I remember And thanks, if you *really* want me to, I will... but its a LOT of work and time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMrecovery View Post
Oh dear, when my fiancee sees this, I will be hiding the silver sharpies so she doesn't do something similar to her black civic. She's a graphic design major, and everything is in sharpie around here.

With the clear coat, it looks awesome.
If she does do it, make sure she doesn't use a normal Sharpie. This was a Sharpie oil-based paint pen. I wetsanded the surface first, then waited two weeks after I was done with my designs before clear coating it. One big difference between mine and the others' that have done the similar concept is with the addition of the clear coat I had to go back and shine an LED flashlight on the black sections to find where the black didn't completely cover. It doesn't matter as much if you don't do the clear over it, because it LOOKS like its solid black, but with the clear highlighting all the colors, any area that wasn't completely covered looked streaky. That alone took an extra 8 hours of work. Whats interesting is you can still see the brush strokes even with the clear smoothing it over, so its still very obviously not a vinyl, and I didn't darken every bleed-through, so it's an interesting "texture" in person. It still isn't completely done, as it needs to be touched up where the paint place gave me the wrong red (), and now the new clear coat makes the rest of the faded red look orange. But it will all be taken care of pretty soon!

Quote:
+100000

I've been watching this project go on since what seems like the beginning of time so I didn't realize that was what she was talking about. My first thought was "Oh no, did she really get an E36 tattoo??? " and the dope one came to mind immediately. On opening the thread I was greatly relieved....

Don't get an E36 tattoo Amber. Please.
Sorry, I was vague on the title. It reminds my mom of a sleeve or back tattoo, hence the name.

What, I shouldn't get half my face and neck tattooed with an E36?! Maaaan.... there goes that dream crushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
I really like the artwork, but it's not something I would do. However I think it would look even nicer if you continued the drawings to the fenders and make a fade out effect, rather than it just stopping.
It isn't finished, there will be continuity. This is just the first that is done, and as it has taken sooooo freaking long to get done this far, and people were asking questions, I thought a thread was in order.

Quote:

Have you PMed travis? I think he'd love to see it and he doesn't hang around here too much anymore.

Wanna come do mine, I would die to have something like this but I have no artistic talent.

I should buy a hood and deck lid from a junk yard, basecoat them and have a big ass bimmerfest get together and let everyone put a little something on it, then clear over it.
Travis has been in the loop from the beginning, I didn't want him to be upset if I just took his canvas without asking. I haven't sent him this thread link yet, but he did get pictures of it months ago before it was clear coated. What's silly is that I posted this on a local forum too, and got a bit flamed because they knew of Travis's car and said I was copying. (He lives about 2 hours away from me.)

Thanks for the support guys! I wasn't really sure what to expect.

Quote:
Old 09-28-2009, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: E36 318 IS Coupe
Oh **** me thats amazing!
Amber that seriously kicks ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmy_bimmer View Post
You'll come up with something, you're Joe for Gods sake

MEMBER OF THE MOST EXCLUSIVE SECRET CLUB ON THE 'FEST
Old 09-28-2009, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 318is
Yay! double post=fail.

Last edited by BMW e36?; 09-28-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 318is
Amber from a POV of your artistic talent, I love it. From a POV as a person who enjoys stock or slightly modified BMW's I can't say I like it as much. Overall though it's very unique and

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbarbie View Post
their way, and hopefully the weather will cooperate this tine and allow it all to be clearcoated in a more timely manner.
I'm sorry Amber I had too,
Old 09-28-2009, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 93 325i
I like it.....I wish mine wasn't black now.

I would incorporate the tattoo i just gave myself that i got from my design on the seat for the trike i built if i had a different color.

do those paint pens come in different colors? i just picked up some spare doors, fender, trunk and hood for a $100 that are black that could maybe use some artwork.

anyhow....looks dam good
Old 09-28-2009, 05:15 PM
IM DA BES

Mein Auto: A rental
^ Ouch sorry jbomz . Hope you feel better

"The American Dream only makes sense if you're sleeping" - Lowkey
Old 09-28-2009, 05:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ryawee
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 318is 5-Speed
OMG! amber that looks amazing! and I love that other guys car. I would totally love to have this on my car (not your design but the same idea)

Riley - 2001 330ci 5-speed, steel grey/black, sports package, premium package, winter package.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 96 328is
That is really, really nice...You should bring it down to the sides though...Keep going....

Old 09-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Bored Worker

Mein Auto: 540i/6 4/99
Love it... looks amazing.
1992 BMW K75s Cafe build
Old 09-28-2009, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: E36 328i, E60 530xit 535i
now for the rest of the car!

1998 E36 328i
2008 E60 535i
2014 E85 X1 sDrive