Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to kpytoi9
Mein Auto: 06' 750i, 14' X3
328i vs 328xi

Hi guys

I am in the process of getting a new BMW and wanted to get some input. I am debating between the 328i and the 328xi. Is there really a huge difference in winter driving between these two models? Would I still have to get winter tires for both of them?
Ads by Google
Old 10-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Welcome to a hornet's nest. There is a lot of (sometimes heated) discussion about this issue here. Search!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328xi
I have an '07 328xi. I have snow tires, haven't tried it without them, but in Central NY the winters are pretty bad so I didn't want to risk it. It all depends on where you live, I would imagine Chicago can get pretty bad.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 328i xdrive
Get the xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpytoi9 View Post
Hi guys

I am in the process of getting a new BMW and wanted to get some input. I am debating between the 328i and the 328xi. Is there really a huge difference in winter driving between these two models? Would I still have to get winter tires for both of them?

If it snows where you live get the xdrive--it is that simple. As mentioned before--some people will swear up and down they drive through crazy amounts of snow with no problem with rear wheel drive and snow tires. I have tried this and failed miserably. The only difference in your decision will be the sports suspension--as the difference in pickup, speed, etc. isn't noticeable.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

With due respect to Gators24, I'd again encourage the above poster to search on the issue. There are wildly varying opinions on this topic and it would be good to get feedback from folk on both sides of the aisle.

I will say that in the year I've been posting here at Bimmerfest, as well as at E90post, I've never seen anybody write "Gee, I really wish I had opted for Xdrive." Likewise, I've never seen an Xdrive owner say "Gee, I really regret getting AWD." Most people here seem happy with their choice one way or the other. So, good to find out why....
Old 10-06-2009, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xdrive (E90)
Quote:
I will say that in the year I've been posting here at Bimmerfest, as well as at E90post, I've never seen anybody write "Gee, I really wish I had opted for Xdrive." Likewise, I've never seen an Xdrive owner say "Gee, I really regret getting AWD." Most people here seem happy with their choice one way or the other.
Let me be the first then, I regret getting AWD....but only a little. It snows once, maybe a twice a year here, and I have alternate transportation, so it really wasn't necessary. The extra weight and increased ride height (with wheel gap) I could do without.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts335 View Post
Let me be the first then, I regret getting AWD....but only a little. It snows once, maybe a twice a year here, and I have alternate transportation, so it really wasn't necessary. The extra weight and increased ride height (with wheel gap) I could do without.

Well, there is a first time for everything!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335xi coupe
"...I will say that in the year I've been posting here at Bimmerfest, as well as at E90post, I've never seen anybody write "Gee, I really wish I had opted for Xdrive." Likewise, I've never seen an Xdrive owner say "Gee, I really regret getting AWD." Most people here seem happy with their choice one way or the other..."

...funny you should say that. We just bought a new '09 335i X-Drive Coupe with the M-Sport package and the other day my wife was telling a fellow '08 335i (Manual Coupe) owner at work about it. He admitted that he wished he had chosen both AWD and an automatic because of ever-growing traffic woes and wildly variable winter conditions in our area. Our dealer told us that X-drive 3 Series are gaining rapidly on RWD series in this neck of the woods. On the flip side, if we lived in Phoenix, it's doubtful that we would even consider the X-Drive version.

Last edited by bsine; 10-06-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsine View Post
"...I will say that in the year I've been posting here at Bimmerfest, as well as at E90post, I've never seen anybody write "Gee, I really wish I had opted for Xdrive." Likewise, I've never seen an Xdrive owner say "Gee, I really regret getting AWD." Most people here seem happy with their choice one way or the other..."

...funny you should say that. We just bought a new '09 335i X-Drive Coupe with the M-Sport package and the other day my wife was telling a fellow '08 335i (Manual Coupe) owner at work about it. He admitted that he wished he had chosen both AWD and an automatic because of ever-growing traffic woes and wildly variable winter conditions in our area. Our dealer told us that X-drive 3 Series are gaining rapidly on RWD series in this neck of the woods. On the flip side, if we lived in Phoenix, it's doubtful that we would even consider the X-Drive version.
... Well, for most people this isn't their first automobile... people that prefer / want AWD will get it, and vice versa. Many people in my department have limited themselves to the 3 series instead of the //M3 because they want AWD.

People don't make car purchases for the most rational of reasons, but once you get used to RWD vs AWD handling, you easily realize the differences, both pro and con. Again, I totally believe RWD can be driven safely in the snow (in fact I did for many, many years). For me, AWD is much more desirable during the winter months. I have to go in on call sometimes at top speed waaaay before roads are plowed. I have *barely* made it up some hills and doubt I could have done it in a RWD only vehicle. If I had two cars or did not live in western PA, I would possibly get a summer car and AWD/winter car.

I'm not sure why people make such a big deal on the wheel gap... it is like 3/4 inch or something? Can anybody really even tell without seeing i/xi side by side?

Finally as a theoretical question -- if you had the same weight car, with minimal clutch/diff loss (that is, no difference in mpg), would anybody still choose RWD only? There are definitely things you can do without AWD, but in real life, would anybody choose RWD *purely* for handling?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post
... Well, for most people this isn't their first automobile... people that prefer / want AWD will get it, and vice versa. Many people in my department have limited themselves to the 3 series instead of the //M3 because they want AWD.

People don't make car purchases for the most rational of reasons, but once you get used to RWD vs AWD handling, you easily realize the differences, both pro and con. Again, I totally believe RWD can be driven safely in the snow (in fact I did for many, many years). For me, AWD is much more desirable during the winter months. I have to go in on call sometimes at top speed waaaay before roads are plowed. I have *barely* made it up some hills and doubt I could have done it in a RWD only vehicle. If I had two cars or did not live in western PA, I would possibly get a summer car and AWD/winter car.

I'm not sure why people make such a big deal on the wheel gap... it is like 3/4 inch or something? Can anybody really even tell without seeing i/xi side by side?

Finally as a theoretical question -- if you had the same weight car, with minimal clutch/diff loss (that is, no difference in mpg), would anybody still choose RWD only? There are definitely things you can do without AWD, but in real life, would anybody choose RWD *purely* for handling?

That is almost like asking if anybody would choose whole wheat toast over cheesecake if the calories were the same. Probably not, but since that is such an unrealistic scenario, who cares?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post
It isn't just handling - RWD is also simpler and thus cheaper to maintain over the years versus AWD.

I'm not saying I'd avoid AWD, either - the upcoming X1, equipped with a diesel, might interest me, and that will ONLY be AWD in the USA.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
x drive is great. it handles so good in the snow. i have a steep drive way so when it snows i really need the x drive to get up the hill
Old 10-05-2009, 04:51 PM
GODSPD

Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
IMO:

If you have to shovel your driveway more than twice per winter, get the xi. If not, learn to drive a RWD in light snow and enjoy a much better summer experience

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 10-05-2009, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: '10 328XI Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpytoi9 View Post
Hi guys

What you've heard is right. It's an emotional issue and each side thinks that they're right.

I've owned two XIs and wouldn't ever consider a non-XI even with snow tires. I've owned front-wheel or all-wheel drives for most of my life. I don't live in upstate NY, but I live just north of NYC, and while I like to avoid driving in the snow, there is nothing like the traction you get with XI (even with regular all-season tires, which is what I have) ... especially going up hills. Also, nothing is going to help you on ice.

There are also some who feel that the XI suspension lowers the car to the ground and sacrifices some of the ride.

What someone else said makes sense. There are many threads on this topic and you should do some searching to get a good sampling of what both sides have to say about it.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:11 PM
GODSPD

Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsedels View Post
What you've heard is right. It's an emotional issue and each side thinks that they're right.

I've owned two XIs and wouldn't ever consider a non-XI even with snow tires. I've owned front-wheel or all-wheel drives for most of my life. I don't live in upstate NY, but I live just north of NYC, and while I like to avoid driving in the snow, there is nothing like the traction you get with XI (even with regular all-season tires, which is what I have) ... especially going up hills. Also, nothing is going to help you on ice.

There are also some who feel that the XI suspension lowers the car to the ground and sacrifices some of the ride.

What someone else said makes sense. There are many threads on this topic and you should do some searching to get a good sampling of what both sides have to say about it.
The xi is more of a Skyjacker kit for BMWs, imo.

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i
I have a 2008 328i and my wife has a 2009 328xi. I'm a bit of an old school rear wheel drive guy and I love my 328i ;-) In June we got my wife a 328xi which I drive quite a bit and having never driven an all wheel drive car before I have to say that I'm very impressed. It's hard to describe the difference in feel except to say it feels "heavier" like there's something pushing the car into the ground without slowing it down! We've only had the car this summer so I'm waiting for the first NY winter to test out it's snow performance.
The bottom line is I think you'll be very happy with either one, so let the weather where you live help determine which one you get.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
I love my 328i and it's been great in plenty of snow. I have a 40 mile commute (40 miles each way) and I travel from MA to NH. I am one of those who like my choice. I think the AWD is great, yes. But I also think you only really need it if you are going up hill in snow at slow speeds on a regular basis. Thus, if you have a sloped driveway, if your driveway isn't normally plowed, if you go to ski areas a lot, the AWD is the way to go.

OTOH, RWD can work great in winter areas like mine with a good set of snows. The car is lower, lighter, quicker, and can be more fun. It's also a bit less complicated. I don't think the AWD system will go bad on you, but it is one more system that can have problems.

I also readily admit that I am in the minority here. The only way I could find RWD with a MT was to order it. So the overwhelming local vote is for AWD automatic.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll be very happy with the car. All best wishes.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 10-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Not intending to hijack this thread, and not trying to sound naive, but after 25 years of driving Hondas with front wheel drive and now back to rwd, does this mean I am finally moving past the slip/slide when starting from a dead stop on slightly rainy/oily streets?

(One of the reasons I'm sure I perfected the start in 2nd gear technique).

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 10-05-2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Typo's
Old 10-05-2009, 07:59 PM
The new jojojo

Mein Auto: --
You also have to consider your peace of mind...you might be just fine with RWD, but you might be a lot more at ease knowing you have AWD just in case the situation gets slippery...better safe than sorry!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 96 'Burban; 08 328xi e90
I have an xi, and I have to say that I love it in all sorts of less-than-perfect conditions (rain, snow, slush, etc.). It feels extremely stable and has lots of traction at all times, and there's never any hop or slip like w/FWD. With snow tires, the only real issue is ground clearance (and here in CO, that is occasionally an issue). Can't compare it to a straight 328i, but can compare it to a variety of Japanese produced FWD vehicles.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I love my 328i and it's been great in plenty of snow. I have a 40 mile commute (40 miles each way) and I travel from MA to NH. I am one of those who like my choice. I think the AWD is great, yes. But I also think you only really need it if you are going up hill in snow at slow speeds on a regular basis. Thus, if you have a sloped driveway, if your driveway isn't normally plowed, if you go to ski areas a lot, the AWD is the way to go.

OTOH, RWD can work great in winter areas like mine with a good set of snows. The car is lower, lighter, quicker, and can be more fun. It's also a bit less complicated. I don't think the AWD system will go bad on you, but it is one more system that can have problems.

I also readily admit that I am in the minority here. The only way I could find RWD with a MT was to order it. So the overwhelming local vote is for AWD automatic.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll be very happy with the car. All best wishes.

I generally agree with ProfessorCook - I live in snowbelt country, too, and went with RWD anyway. This will be my first RWD winter, so I can't actually comment on experience yet, although I will point out that up until now, FWD only was more than sufficient for my winter driving. (In Pittsburgh lately, we tend to get one solid month of snow and ice, then scattered flurries with limited accumulation for the rest of the winter.)

In AWD's defense, I believe its stance is a little higher than the RWD 3er, and most of the time this may be more of an advantage in driving over highly-packed snow than the actual AWD capability. Depends on the kind of roads you drive on/how regularly they're plowed/etc.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
I had a 328i and live in the Detroit area which is probably as snowy as Chicagoland. I don't have winter tires and usually don't have major issues with the snow except when starting on an incline. Winter tires would definitely help but I don't see a real need for the xi. To me the slight handling and speed advantages of RWD are worth it.

Thanks, Mike.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorcook View Post
i love my 328i and it's been great in plenty of snow. I have a 40 mile commute (40 miles each way) and i travel from ma to nh. I am one of those who like my choice. I think the awd is great, yes. But i also think you only really need it if you are going up hill in snow at slow speeds on a regular basis. Thus, if you have a sloped driveway, if your driveway isn't normally plowed, if you go to ski areas a lot, the awd is the way to go.

Otoh, rwd can work great in winter areas like mine with a good set of snows. The car is lower, lighter, quicker, and can be more fun. It's also a bit less complicated. I don't think the awd system will go bad on you, but it is one more system that can have problems.

I also readily admit that i am in the minority here. The only way i could find rwd with a mt was to order it. So the overwhelming local vote is for awd automatic.

Whatever you choose, i'm sure you'll be very happy with the car. All best wishes.
+1
Old 10-07-2009, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: A big grin
Get the i and buy a 4wd beater for the few days a year you need it.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 328i xdrive
Resale value

Don't forget that you will most likely sell it/trade it in at some point. If most of the people and dealers in your area look for AWD then that could be an issue. This is one of the reasons that I chose the AWD for Denver---as 90% of the dealers inventory consists of xdrive models and that is what most people buy. It may be one factor that could give you a bit of trouble (cost you a bit of money) when you go to get rid of it.