Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 10-19-2009, 06:26 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Tell me about e24s......

I've found an e24, 1984 633 CSi, 5 speed, 87,000 miles (!!! )......runs and looks really good. Pictures below (sorry, they are tiny sale listing shots). I'd never even heard of an e24 until now.

$5500/OBO. That seems like a very good price. Should I pull the trigger if I can get the money together? What do I need to look for/ask about? Any problems that are unique to e24s?

I had this posted in the "e24 anybody" thread, but as 6 Brit pointed out, that thread is mostly car p0rn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	633 CSi left.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	205198   Click image for larger version

Name:	633 CSi right.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	205199  
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Advertisement
Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: **** you
I would say that is a little pricey for a 633
there is the 633, 635, L6, M635, and M6 (in the US)
the latter of the three are worth the most...

I would say a good low mileage clean example of a 633, no rust all original would be worth @ 2k - 3k tops

those are the wrong wheels on that one =) the paint is pretty shiny...is it original? or did someone do a half ass repaint...all stuff that will hurt you down the line. How many miles are on it? Do all the electronics work?

These cars are not cheap to repair...the parts are not horribly expensive however if you like to work on your car yourself. I would not recommend an e24 to someone who cannot work on their own car or anyone who cannot afford 100/hour labor rates.

Good luck!!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Full Blown Euro Addict

Mein Auto: 1985 Euro E24s
Hornhos,

I would say the most important thing when looking for an older BMW is to make sure that the car itself is rust free with good solid paint finish. Check the bottom of all door panels, wheel wells, rear trunk channels, all window seals, and especially the lower tail light areas where rust tends to start/accumulate.

Second, take a good look at the leather interiors. Comfort seats or sport seats, headrest, rear seats, leather panels, even the vinyl dash. Harder and harder to find a dash that is NOT cracked. I would say although there are parts still available for these E24s, it is the refurbishing of the interior leather, dash, seats and especially the rust (if any) and exterior paint that will set you back the most. The engines on these classics are near bullet proof and to get things repaired is marginal compared to the cosmetic issues that the older bimmers will have. I would have to agree that $5500 for a US 633 is on the high side (I got my Euros for less), but if the car is solid inside and out, near concours. It would be a fair price. Nice Euro models will go for $7500+ and M-Models will hoover in the $12K-$20K ranges, pending condition of course. Really nice, clean and low mileage M635csi models will go $20K++.

Make sure you take the car into your mechanic shop to check the usual things...brakes, exhaust, heads, suspension, fuel system, engine cooling system, bushings (if manual).

Good Luck on your pending purchase. AND welcome to the madness!
http://hawaiisharks.tripod.com/
Old 11-08-2009, 11:36 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Many thanks for the replies. Even though the mileage is incredibly low for a 1984 (87,000) I am shying away from that 633, simply for the very reasons you listed....body rust. It doesn't look too bad now, but the evidence of rust is there, and the car has spent it's entire life within a couple of miles of the Gulf of Mexico. I'm afraid it will only get worse. I don't want a potential rust bucket. I live 20 miles inland from it and still can smell the salt air at times. I can only imagine how much corrosion is actually going on under the body panels.

I love the looks of it, but for that kind of money (and the seller took the "OBO" out of the listing and won't come off the $5500) it would have to be a lot nicer. That would be a "buy it and drive it" car, not something that I'd want for a perpetual project.

Besides, I've found a 'project car', something I KNOW is going to take a lot of TLC. Perhaps the most neglected, abused and downright ugly e36 on the planet. A 1994 325i ACS3. Now I have to get it away from the abuser!

Oh, I have the BMW bug really bad (or good?)
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Flat Footed Grease Monkey

Mein Auto: '85 635CSi,'97 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Well, HornMan, it gets worse! Or in this case, much Better! I bought my '85 635CSi in May of last year...She hadn't run in over three years but the PO said that it was running okay when he parked it. I basically got it at a 'steal' price or else I wouldn't have gotten it. Plus, she had all the right things I was looking for: NO Rust anywhere on the car; Five speed; the 'standard' silverish color that shows off the classic lines; plain black leather interior; just mainly 'Rock Stock.' The door was wide open for me to take her in any direction without undoing what some other PO had done to her.

Well, it took about a month to get it running. I had to replace all the rubber stuff under the hood, but mainly I had to study up on this car. Bimmerforum.com became my main cyber-source, but I did order some of the essential books. I won't tell you the entire story because that is not the nature of this thread. I'll only say 'Welcome' to E24 land and you won't regret it!

Like many others here I'd shy away from this one; it seems overpriced for having any rust at all. There are many, many more E24s in much better condition out there on CL (mainly) and EBay is also good, but watch out! Here are a couple after a five minute search:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...php?p=17850362

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1314706

Spend another month just looking for the best one you can afford; look into every nook and cranny on the internet and call and talk to the owners as much as you can. The amount of experience already existent on these forums will be a great help with your ownership experience.

Good luck

Brick
Old 11-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Full Blown Euro Addict

Hornhos,

Not to knock bimmerfest, but bimmerforums has a separate forum for E24 junkies. If you are serious about looking for an E24, there are many forum members who are experts at providing all the support required to find, purchase, maintain and upgrade your 6er.

Apparrently, you have already gone down that road...One of the members there told me when I was looking for my first ever BMW and 6er...

If you are only thinking about getting a 6-Series, its too late, you have already bought one.

He was soooooo right. Two months later, somehow I ended up with two. Let the addiction begin!
Old 11-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Full Blown Euro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post

Consider yourself normal here. The addiction will continue and will probably get worse. But at least you will be extremely happy
Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 635csi
take your time and find the right one because they're a joy to to drive and own and once you've got one you'll probably keep it for a long long time