Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
Window Regulator Repair done

FYI
I did my friends 2004 X3 window regulator repair for both rear windows (only one was broken, but I dont want to do it again, so do both at once). Simply replaced the drive dog, instead of the entire window regulator module. $100 for two drive dogs, and $30 for two vapor barriers. First one was a pain and took long until i realized you should move the drive dog up and down to easily remove the window and the dog itself from the rail. 2nd window took about 20min. A note, replacing just the dog itself is faster then the entire regulator module, and also cheaper =)

My vapor barriers are on order. I decided not to risk my friend complaining of water leaks and simply ripped off the old barriers. It took quite a while to remove the barriers from the gooey stuff. I have Permatex silicon adhesive/sealant purchased at local pepboys to reseal the barriers. The gooey stuff has dirt indicating where the water would tend to flow, so this should make identifying where to ensure I reseal correctly. The old gooey stuff is still on there, so that should provide something to hold the barriers as the seal I apply cures.

The windows require manually going all the way and all the way down to re-learn the thresholds for auto up/down functionality. I was confused at first, but figured it out.

Drive Dogs are : http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=51&fg=10&hl=3
Items 51333448643 and 51353448645

Last edited by bluskye; 10-29-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2009, 05:07 PM

Update with Butyl Tape part number from dealer. Some may not know you can purchase it.

Butyl Tape : 83190153321

Scape off old tape as good as you can with utility knife. Doesnt have to be perfect. Apply new tape over old residue. Warm the tape up with hair dryer. Apply Vapor Barrier over the tape. Continue using hair dryer over the edges and press firmly. Keep doing it over and over, the tape will get hot and tacky.

Test by leaving off door panels and use a hose to spray window(s) to ensure no leaks through the vapor barriers. After the leak test passes, you can put back on door panels

Last edited by bluskye; 12-05-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
I actually have the same car as your friend, and just a few months ago I had to replace the driving dog on my driver's side rear window. It was weird how it just broke... I looked at it after and it seems like rather poor design and build quality, at least the part is "sorta" cheap, I guess. Anyway, I looked up the parts really quick... www.realoem.com is a great site. My local dealer ordered the parts and I was on my way same day.

I kept tho old vapor barrier, BMW uses this sticky black stuff to seal it and it the same stuff I use at work so I know how to work with it. FYI, the stuff softens up and bonds back together perfectly if you heat it up... hairdryer is pretty quick.

The hardest part to start with was figuring out how to remove the door panel without breaking any of those plastic clips. My old 525i, was really sensitive, I could never remove the door panels with all pins intact. In the X3's case it was actually extremely easy, just got to know where the pins are. The driving dog itself was a bitch, but luckily I only had to do one door.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Hi all,

my 2006 X3 Rear passenger window just broke. When the passenger pushed the window button, it did now sound right, like a rattle noise. She had the window half way down and was not responding when she tried to roll it up. However, she was able to roll the window all the way down, but now it won't roll up. Is this a regulator issue as well? Please advise.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbsocal.slo View Post
My old 525i, was really sensitive, I could never remove the door panels with all pins intact.
For hbsocal.slo ...
Today I got the outer panel off on my 2002 525 and wrote an ad-hoc DIY:
- How to remove the outer door panel on a 2002 BMW 525i

But, before I finished, I got stuck on the NEXT step.
- What's the NEXT step for removing the door panel to diagnose broken window regulators

What's the next step after the outer panel is off?
- Do we remove the airbag?
- Do we remove the speaker?
- Do we just start peeling the vapor barrier off from the bottom?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
Senegyh,

It is very likely to be a regulator or just a drive dog. You need to take off the door panel and take a look.

Cheers
Old 03-03-2010, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Sen, you are probably still under warranty or just out of it, take it to the dealer and see if they will fix it under BMW's recent liberal "good will" warranty policy. There is a good chance they will fix it free since it is a well known problem because of poor quality material (drive dogs). Worth a try anyway.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
SI B 51 16 06
Body Equipment
Window Regulator Not Working or Noisy
MODEL
E83 (X3) up to 04/06
SITUATION
The customer may complain of a power window that will not operate or is noisy during operation.
CAUSE
The white plastic slider on the window regulator may be damaged.
CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis, replace the damaged window regulator slider with the updated slider.
The updated slider, which was not available previously, is an improved part, made from a different
material.
PROCEDURE
Remove the damaged window regulator according to repair instruction RA 51 33 000 (Front) or
RA 51 37 000 (Rear)
If only the white plastic slider is damaged, replace it by using the following instructions. If any other
damage to the regulator exists, the entire regulator must be replaced.
Note: The front window has 2 sliders and these should be replaced in pairs

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 08-30-2010, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: bmwx3
Unhappy

We had both windows on X3 2004 - drop in tracks. BMW charged us 400.00 per window.
We are not mechanics. HAs anyone had any communication about BMW 's resonsibility on this? First time ever, a in operative window --both sides.

Our Car was out of warrenty, it sucks.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:07 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemoe View Post
We had both windows on X3 2004 - drop in tracks. BMW charged us 400.00 per window.
We are not mechanics. HAs anyone had any communication about BMW 's resonsibility on this? First time ever, a in operative window --both sides.

You don't have to be a mechanic to do this repair, it's fairly easy, there's a pictured DIY in the sticky thread.
Reasoning? Seems like they were using a softer material for the plastic (teflon) drive dog on earlier models, which is what breaks. It took me about 30-45 mins to do one. My cost: $75.00

If you really don't feel comfortable taking things apart, find a reputable independent shop in your area,(www.bimrs.org) labor rates at the dealer are outrageous.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: United States
RegulatorFix X3 front window DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
You don't have to be a mechanic to do this repair, it's fairly easy, there's a pictured DIY in the sticky thread.
Link to the sticky for the front regulator repair?

Could not find the DIY for the front here either:

www.regulatorfix.com
Old 09-05-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Why would BMW be responsible for this? Its clearly out of warranty. If you expect your BMW to go without a single problem under your ownership, you may want to rethink car ownership in general. If you paid BMW $400, that was clearly your choice. You had options: DIY or independent Mechanic. I can assure you, your choice of paying $400 was the easiest option on your part. I can assure you the DIY was the cheapest option you could have taken.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Quote:

Feel your pain, just had this done on our out of warranty 2004 X3. I should have just done myself, as I know I could do, but just too busy. Got hit for about the same price as you and they fixed the headlight washers that were leaking as well. After seeing the parts on Page 2, no wonder they break, chip-a$$ plastic.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M3 Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboyd View Post
SI B 51 16 06
Body Equipment
Window Regulator Not Working or Noisy
MODEL
E83 (X3) up to 04/06
SITUATION
The customer may complain of a power window that will not operate or is noisy during operation.
CAUSE
The white plastic slider on the window regulator may be damaged.
CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis, replace the damaged window regulator slider with the updated slider.
The updated slider, which was not available previously, is an improved part, made from a different
material.
PROCEDURE
Remove the damaged window regulator according to repair instruction RA 51 33 000 (Front) or
RA 51 37 000 (Rear)
If only the white plastic slider is damaged, replace it by using the following instructions. If any other
damage to the regulator exists, the entire regulator must be replaced.
Note: The front window has 2 sliders and these should be replaced in pairs

how is my updated version of the slider?
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...2#post26605222

i didn't want to wait until the part arrives.

"Only after disaster can we be resurrected," Tyler Durden
CURRENT: 02 M3 conv, 06 k1200s
Family: 04 X3 3.0, 98 M3 2dr
Old 09-24-2010, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: x3
When you say DIY for window regulator replacement or driving dog replacement ....where is that ?????
Old 09-24-2010, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishusinha View Post
When you say DIY for window regulator replacement or driving dog replacement ....where is that ?????
At the top of the main page for the X3, the 1st. thread is a "sticky" entitled:

BMW X3 FAQ and DIY compilation

(http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=457330)

In that thread, under Miscellaneous Documents, you will fingd a PDF for "Rear window repair".

Note that when wanting to obtain just the drive dog, some parts departments may know it by a different name, such as "traveler" or something.
The dog analogy comes from the work that item does as part of the regulator assembly in fetching and carrying the window glass up and down.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Hey guys...my wife is out of town and heard a "pop" while putting up the left rear window. It made it the rest of the way up...is there a chance that the window will drop now before I can replace the drive?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
It depends on what exactly happened, but you cannot know until you take a look. When she comes home, give it a try. If it doesn't work, you
need a new drive dog, or you can try to repair yours.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenza View Post
It depends on what exactly happened, but you cannot know until you take a look. When she comes home, give it a try. If it doesn't work, you
need a new drive dog, or you can try to repair yours.
Yes, as ken said it depends but there's a big probability that's what happened. That POP sound is the cable snapping out of the dog after it broke.

I'd advice her to get a roll of painters tape and tape the glass along the top to avoid it to roll all the way down, once there you need to disassemble the door interior to bring it up (and to repair/change).
Old 11-01-2010, 03:40 AM

Thanks for the help...painters tape is holding it up until I get the parts.

What tools are needed to fix this? My tool inventory doesn't include many auto tools

Last edited by Blue Monk; 11-01-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:57 AM
Aficionado

Nothing special...just assorted screwdrivers, and I used a small ulphostery/clip removal tool to start the cardboard off. The job is really easy, it seems more complicated than it really is.
There are a couple of guides on the DIY sticky, the one mentioned above and on entitled "Door Panel Removal" this is the step-by-step instructions, and kenza's pics in the other document is a good compliment, I used both.

Last edited by X3-terrestrial; 11-01-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:47 AM

So far so good but I'm having trouble pushing in the tab and releasing the window...any suggestions
Old 11-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Monk View Post
So far so good but I'm having trouble pushing in the tab and releasing the window...any suggestions
Hi, it's kind of tricky but not too hard, have someone stand on the outside, grab the glass and wiggle it up and down while you push the tab firmly but carefully, the glass has to snap out of the dog.
It took me several attempts to be comfortable with the amount of pressure.
Good luck.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:20 AM

Holy moly...I finally got it. I was nervous about pressing against the glass. Having another set of hands definitely helps.

Thanks for all the help!!
Old 11-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Monk View Post
Holy moly...I finally got it. I was nervous about pressing against the glass. Having another set of hands definitely helps.

Thanks for all the help!!
Doesn't it feel good? You just saved about $300.00