Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E21 (1975 - 1983)

E21 (1975 - 1983)

Old 11-09-2009, 03:21 AM

Mein Auto: 1980 320i
Question Clutch system...'80 e21

does anyone have the expert knowledge regarding the clutch system of a 1980 320i? i am curious to know if there are separate reservoirs for brake fluid and clutch fluid..or even the locations would be more accurate.

my car is tight going into 1st and 2nd gear and will grind on occasion if it feels like it...but will subside into a smooth transition after say 20 minutes when it is apparently warmer.

this is what leads me to believe it is related to fluid levels or possibly the clutch may need an adjustment?

-red
Ads by Google
Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 PM
search is your friend

Mein Auto: Dinan 325I
There has to be seperate resivoirs for the clutch and brakes. Or else everytime you pressed the clutch you would stop as well and vise versa.
As for the rough gears then smoothing out, my guess would be you live somewhere that is cold no? Tranny fluids have wieghts just like motor oil. Lighter fluids need to be used during colder months to allow better lubrication. So that would explain why after driving the gears have time to warm up and becomes easier.
Check the clutch fluid levels and maybe bleed the clutch, get some new fluid in there.
and you cant "adjust" a clutch.

LOOKING FOR SOME NOICE STYLE 5`S PM ME!!!
Member of the Official Secret Bimmerfest Text Club