Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
Brother smoking pot downstairs.

My mom is gone for the night and I'm back at home for the week, and sure enough, I smell pot coming up through the heating vents. Background: my little brother is 17, a complete waste of life, and is using my mom's money to buy pot. My mom has no spine and wont do anything about it. Luckily I have a spine, and it's fvcking pissing me off.

My question for you: What is my next step?

1. Baseball bat, break the stupid fvcks knees?
2. Use my experience in BJJ and Muay Thai to set an example?
3. Call the cops?
4. Beat the living sh*t out of every little *** in the basement, using whatever I find on my way down there?
5. Take a tire iron and remove their tires, then throw the tires in the field behind my house?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan... View Post
My mom is gone for the night and I'm back at home for the week, and sure enough, I smell pot coming up through the heating vents. Background: my little brother is 17, a complete waste of life, and is using my mom's money to buy pot. My mom has no spine and wont do anything about it. Luckily I have a spine, and it's fvcking pissing me off.

3. Call the cops?
4. Beat the living sh*t out of every little *** in the basement, using whatever I find on my way down there?
5. Take a tire iron and remove their tires, then throw the tires in the field behind my house?
#5. Then watch as they try to drive away!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Please, call me Brian.

I'm thinking of possibly doing #5, then 2. I'll take their tires, kick the living sh*t out of my brother, then watch as they try to get away from the pyschotic older brother
Old 01-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Dude, you have it all wrong. Go get a pint of Ben and Jerry's, a bag of doritos and a case of beer. Tell them they can dig in when they're able to fill a 1 cup measuring cup with spit. And that they're not allowed to have any water.

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 01-22-2010, 07:23 PM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: CLK 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
Dude, you have it all wrong. Go get a pint of Ben and Jerry's, a bag of doritos and a case of beer. Tell them they can dig in when they're able to fill a 1 cup measuring cup with spit. And that they're not allowed to have any water.
Proof positive that Jefe is a d!ck.

Oh.
And i'm going with option #3. Call the cops.

Cuz - They wont show.

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:32 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
Are you sure it's your mom's money? Perhaps oe of the other guys brought the schwag over. Would you feel different if they were drinking? Pot use doesn't bother me at all. I can't smoke it but if I could I probably would every now and again. Getting the police to show up might screw your mom considering it's her house they are toking in.

Violence isn't an answer besides, are you in a position where you can be stuck in the pokey for a while?

I'd tell them to take it outside so it doesn't stink up the place or tell them to go somewhere else.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 01-22-2010, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Call the police. A night in jail might help wake him up.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota MR2 Turbo
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag-zhp View Post
Call the police. A night in jail might help wake him up.
...It could also get him a criminal record and ruin his life. Marijuana has been voted legal in 2 states now, and probably will become legalized in other states as more people vote for it. Honestly, ruining your kid brother's life over a joint? Would you react the same way if he was having a beer downstairs?

Let's not overreact, millions of people have done what he's doing and turned out just fine. I'd say just have a chat with him, explain you don't want him using it and why (list health reasons, that is puts your household in a legally precarious position, etc.) and tell him you don't want him doing it anymore, least of all in your home.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
...It could also get him a criminal record and ruin his life. Marijuana has been voted legal in 2 states now, and probably will become legalized in other states as more people vote for it. Honestly, ruining your kid brother's life over a joint? Would you react the same way if he was having a beer downstairs?

Let's not overreact, millions of people have done what he's doing and turned out just fine. I'd say just have a chat with him, explain you don't want him using it and why (list health reasons, that is puts your household in a legally precarious position, etc.) and tell him you don't want him doing it anymore, least of all in your home.
skip ahead there skippy...

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post

I respectfully disagree.

He has lost a job because of substance abuse. The guy is in trouble and needs professional help.

If he is going to change his life around, he needs to seek help and follow their direction.

In my experience with dealing with employees who have had substance abuse problems, they must hit bottom before they bounce up. It is heart wrenching to not enable your child or brother, and it is difficult to know what to do in the moment, so all three of you need some counseling to find out what to do.

If your brother won't go, you and your mother should get some counseling so you can get professional advice.

Good luck.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
I respectfully disagree.

He has lost a job because of substance abuse. The guy is in trouble and needs professional help.

If he is going to change his life around, he needs to seek help and follow their direction.

In my experience with dealing with employees who have had substance abuse problems, they must hit bottom before they bounce up. It is heart wrenching to not enable your child or brother, and it is difficult to know what to do in the moment, so all three of you need some counseling to find out what to do.

If your brother won't go, you and your mother should get some counseling so you can get professional advice.

Good luck.
I think there's some miscommunication here. rclark didn't look at the dates and is responding to a very old post (thus, wyb's post) where Ryan is ticked his brother was smoking pot in the house. This was before his brother ever went into the service and is now at the point where he's being discharged for drinking.

Last edited by 1Dreamer; 12-04-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
I think there's some miscommunication here. rclark didn't look at the dates and is responding to a very old post (thus, wyb's post) where Ryan is ticked his brother was smoking pot in the house. This was before his brother ever went into the service and is now at the point where he's being discharged for drinking.
Losing your job for drinking is substance abuse to my way of thinking.

I distinguish use from abuse, not between substances.

If your use of cocaine, pot, or booze interferes with your essential life, and causes you to lose your relationships, your job, your education, etc., then it is abuse, IMO, and you need professional help.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 AM
On Top

Send a message via AIM to SWISS Send a message via Yahoo to SWISS
Mein Auto: E30 S52 / S52 M roady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
I respectfully disagree.

Good luck.
I agree with this approach as the will to stop the behavior is within the user, and nothing you do will change that will until they reach the bottom as you say and then the enlightenment epiphany ensues that leads to recovery ....HOPEFULLY.

Much like military and martial arts, you have to break them down to re build.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:39 PM
meroglot

Send a message via AIM to 'Cane
Mein Auto: ?
Quote:

3. Call the cops?
Dude. Whatever you do, do NOT BJ your brother.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 08' M3
If you can't beat em, join em.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:46 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
Dude. Whatever you do, do NOT BJ your brother.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 01-22-2010, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3 Coupe
6. All of the above.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:48 PM
.oo=||=oo.

Mein Auto: Bimmers
#6. Partake maybe Be a friend now and it will be easier to rub off advice on him later.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Banned

Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Can't control my fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3 View Post

That's a classic scene.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkleyBMW View Post

That's a classic scene.
"I hope you're not busy for about a month."
Old 01-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
No one is a complete waste of life at 17. Kids will be kids and just because he parties now doesn't mean he'll be wothless forever. But, he's a minor and your mom should take control of the situation.

Solution: steal his weed and smoke it in front of him.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Can't control my fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
No one is a complete waste of life at 17. Kids will be kids and just because he parties now doesn't mean he'll be wothless forever.
+1

He'll grow out of it eventually. You might just try explaining that you don't appreciate him doing that and warn him that next time you'll do something about it.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkleyBMW View Post
+1

He'll grow out of it eventually. You might just try explaining that you don't appreciate him doing that and warn him that next time you'll do something about it.
Been there, done that. He doesn't care. He loves the thought of being the biggest pot head in school, unless something drastic happens he'll keep doing this ****.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Can't control my fingers

Quote:
Been there, done that. He doesn't care. He loves the thought of being the biggest pot head in school, unless something drastic happens he'll keep doing this ****.
Sounds like a confrontation is in order.