Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E21 (1975 - 1983)

E21 (1975 - 1983)

Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 PM
David Crevenston

Mein Auto: 1983 320i 1.8 Manual
83 320I 1.8 Manual ? about the A/C System & how to refill it?

Hello I have a 1983 320i 5 speed and had a ? to all about the a/c system. Currently everything works on the a/c system compressor blower everything but no cold air as I am sure its out of R12. I would like to know the best way to go about getting the a/c working again. I was told there are 2 options the 1st get a product called Freeze 12 to add in to replace the R12 that is obsolete today. The 2nd option is getting a universal conversion kit from a Auto parts store and Have a mechanic suck out all the old R12 then change the Nipples (hot and cold intake caps) then add in R134 the new stuff. Can someone please advise me as to which option is the better way to go with such a older car to get the A/C back up and blowing cold air. Also if there is a another option not listed here please advise me as well. Thanks very much for your help.
Dave
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2010, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 1981 320i (E21)
I would recommend the option I used on my '81. Remove all the AC components and place them in the nearest garbage can. The AC I had worked great as long as it didn't get too hot outside. If the temp got much over 75 -80 F, it didn't work well at all. I got tired of having it recharged everytime something else failed on it, so I finally removed it and got rid of it. The 320i was originally designed for the European market where 1) the summers are very mild and 2) nobody really wanted AC because it had nothing to do with making the car go faster. The bolt-on system used in the 320i wasn't worth the time it took to cuss it out. It was installed as an after-thought on a car never intended to have AC just to appease American buyers.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 PM
David Crevenston

Mein Auto: 1983 320i 1.8 Manual
follow up

Interesting I did not know that info about the a/c on that car. Thanks for the info I will probably either not use the a/c or install new a/c not sure what to do. The car is old and is not worth the time, effort, or money to me to install new a/c. The car is in great shape body wise or else I would have sold it by now. Not sure what I will do with it I would like to keep it but not sure.
Dave