Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series

5 Series
Ask questions and discuss the 5 Series here. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 10-15-2003, 04:13 PM
What the...?!?!

Mein Auto: duh....
e39 Business CD Questions

I am thinking about swapping my head unit out for the new Business CD one. If I were to do this, I would prefer to get the newer 2003 version with the aux in.

Here's my question. Based on looking at the instructions for installing the aux in kit, it looks like the wiring harness on the back of the radio is different than the pre-2003 units. Is it possible to retrofit this newer head unit?

Also, any idea on how much the CD player costs?

Tyrone, are you around? I know you are the master of all e39 retro-fits, maybe you can help?

Thanks in advance, DK.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKSF
I am thinking about swapping my head unit out for the new Business CD one. If I were to do this, I would prefer to get the newer 2003 version with the aux in.

Here's my question. Based on looking at the instructions for installing the aux in kit, it looks like the wiring harness on the back of the radio is different than the pre-2003 units. Is it possible to retrofit this newer head unit?

Also, any idea on how much the CD player costs?

Tyrone, are you around? I know you are the master of all e39 retro-fits, maybe you can help?

Thanks in advance, DK.
Gee, thanks! But I can only hold that title while SVTWEB is away ;-) You're in luck because BMW has adapters for putting the new generation (NG) radios in the older cars. Here's what you'll need:

adapter cable, radio 61 12 6 913 957
antenna adapter tubing 61 12 6 913 955
adapter cable, CD changer 61 12 6 913 954 (if applicable)

The new radio units are expensive at around $820 due to a $400 or $500 core. Unfortunately, core is only refundable through Warren T. as far as I know, so you're stuck buying it outright.

Or I suppose you could visit your nearest unfriendly dealer and perform an innocent "switcharoo" while checking out the interior of any remaining E39s. Remember to bring tools!
Old 10-16-2003, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: '14 428i vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone
adapter cable, radio 61 12 6 913 957
antenna adapter tubing 61 12 6 913 955
adapter cable, CD changer 61 12 6 913 954 (if applicable)

The new radio units are expensive at around $820 due to a $400 or $500 core. Unfortunately, core is only refundable through Warren T. as far as I know, so you're stuck buying it outright.
Who is Warren T.?
Old 10-16-2003, 11:45 AM
What the...?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh
Who is Warren T.?
Otherwise known as "warranty".

Tyrone - Thanks for the info! Well, at least I know that it can be done. $800 is pricey. Maybe I don't want it so bad anymore. My current head unit is dying a slow death, so a replacement will be necessary at some point. I wonder if I get the tape unit, I could get credit for my old one as a core exchange.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: '14 428i vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKSF
Otherwise known as "warranty".

Tyrone - Thanks for the info! Well, at least I know that it can be done. $800 is pricey. Maybe I don't want it so bad anymore. My current head unit is dying a slow death, so a replacement will be necessary at some point. I wonder if I get the tape unit, I could get credit for my old one as a core exchange.
Duh?

The cassette HU is not a good option on these cars and if I had to do it over never would have done it with the info I have gathered...

It appears you may not be able to use Aux Audio adapter with it as well...I can not believe BMW offered it as a no cost option and left people out on the cold and did not tell the sales people the downfalls and solutions...poor product info.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:58 PM
What the...?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh
Duh?

The cassette HU is not a good option on these cars and if I had to do it over never would have done it with the info I have gathered...

It appears you may not be able to use Aux Audio adapter with it as well...I can not believe BMW offered it as a no cost option and left people out on the cold and did not tell the sales people the downfalls and solutions...poor product info.
I really want to put in an aftermarket head unit, but just hate the way the installation kits put the head unit in the upper half of the opening. I yanked everything out the other day, and found that the area behind the lower half of the opening is just not deep enough for a new head unit. There is a small box of some sort that is attached to the venting behind the radio, not sure what it is, but if it can't be moved, I'll just get a new factory radio. But $800 is pretty steep.