Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-19-2010, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i
2010 335i - Highly Disappointed

I Just took delivery of my 2010 335i 2 days ago. This car was ordered in mid-December 2009. The options I got are Premium package, Sport package, Cold Weather package & Navigation System. The car set me back just about $50K.

My previous car with a 2007 335i with the same config but was missing the Nav.

The difference in the 2 cars is significant. The 2007 was a MUCH better car. In terms of quality, solidity and features. I just cannot get over the fact that the new car seems to be cheaper in build.

I am totally appalled at the features that have been yanked!!!

Seatback pockets – gone - where to store stuff in the back - there is NO storage anywhere

Ashtray – gone - I don't smoke but where to store change?

Ashtray power outlet – moved to a very inconvenient location under the glove box!

Rechargeable flashlight – gone!

Ability to use an adapter in the flashlight receptacle to get a 2 power outlets – gone!

Cargo net hooks in the trunk – gone - I regularly used the cargo net, now what do I do with my existing cargo net? Maybe I will send it to BMW as a gift!

Wiper Arms - cheap, flimsy looking spindly arms that do not do a BMW justice - the ones on the 2007 were solid! These ones are pretty sad

Seatbelt height adjusters – gone! How does a short/tall driver adjust the seatbelt position?

Headrests – modified to the point that they don’t sit flush with the seat, rather remain at 1st notch. And they don't move forward and backward any more!

Seats - seem to be less padding and generally more uncomfortable!

Sound System - downgraded to a pathetic system that sounds like it is in a cardboard box. Sound clips at high volume. Weak bass. No oomph. Cannot hear the radio at max volume when sunroof and windows are open. The 2007 had the 10-speaker Professional system. This car has what appears to be a 4 (or 6?) speaker system. BMW has to be kidding. How can they justify this pathetic stereo in a $50K car? Of course I was not aware of the downgrade when I ordered the 2010. My sales rep was not either. I found out when I picked up the car and was driving home. Had I known when I placed the order, at least I would have opted for the upgraded sound system. I drive a lot and I like my music. My wife's Cayenne S has a stellar Bose system. The 335i system is like a boom box next to it. Disgusting that BMW can do this and get away with it. It is actually deceitful!

Handling - the 2010 335i does not feel as secure and as confident as the 2007. It seems lighter somehow. Feels more skittish and less poised on curves but that could be because the tires are still new and not broken into. I will report more on the handling after a few thousand miles.

I called customer relations. They promptly threw the dealership/my sales assassociate under the bus stating that these were "sales" issue and not "production or design" issues and they had the audacity to tell me that I should have thoroughly examined a 2010 showroom floor model BEFORE placing my order. They just gave me a bunch of baloney about "we reserve the right to make whatever feature changes we see fit....yada yada yada!" It is obvious that BMW does not really care about customer service/relationship otherwise they would NEVER have done this.

I wish I could give the car back. I cannot replace the stereo without voiding the warranty on the entire iDrive system. I know that BMW wont do anything. They simply don't care. So I am stuck with these missing features. That makes me feel cheated.

Am I the only one that has noticed these items? Is there anyone else out there that has comments on this?
Ads by Google
Old 02-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E90 328i
Why did you let go of your 2007 335i? The '09 models forward have what BMW calls the "Active Headrest", so that's why they don't tilt forward and backward. I know it sounds kind of ironic. Hearing about the downgraded audio system makes me mad. I agree that it is totally unacceptable to have such low grade quality speakers for a car in this caliber. I have already read about several members in this forum who were unaware of the downgraded speakers, and it is just sad.

Just to add a few more deletions I can think of at the top of my head:
-Hood pad insulation gone
-Windshield band gone
-Cooler under armrest gone

Last edited by bimmerfan3; 02-19-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan3 View Post
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... ....

Not the cooler!!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
How dare you criticize BMW which as we all know are perfect vehicles that are beyond reproach.

Since it is inevitable that someone here is going go come up with a "get a Lexus" post so I might as well get it over with.

If you want (fill in the blank) get a Lexus.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 02-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
How dare you criticize BMW which as we all know are perfect vehicles that are beyond reproach.

Since it is inevitable that someone here is going go come up with a "get a Lexus" post so I might as well get it over with.

CA
Get a Buick.
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 02-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:

CA
Just be prepared for that Lexus to accelerate whenever it damn feels like it....
Old 02-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Just be prepared for that Lexus to accelerate whenever it damn feels like it....

Epicness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I am sure when that happens Lexus drivers are thinking "How the hell can I get this RB* into Limp Mode. Where is an HPFP failure when I need one"

*RB = Rebadged Toyota

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-20-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
There have been countless posts here (and on some other forums) about the differences in the versions. Had you made your homework, you would not be running back here, crying oh how bad BMW is... That's what showrooms are for and if next time you go in one of those planning on purchasing $50k car, please make sure that the functionality you use most is there... When you are at it, you may also check if BMW equips their cars with all 4 wheels... (or was it 5 in '07?)... I really do not get it, how did you buy this car? After looking at it in the catalog? And that can't be true, as the new 3-series catalog shows both the interior and exterior accurately. Quit whining, you bought it, you are a big boy, it is entirely your fault...

Ps. Do you think that if you have driven a '67 'vette and go into one of the Chevy dealers planning on purchasing a brand spanking new Z06, do you expect those to be the same? Please...
Worst. Post. Ever.

Wait, BMW's not perfect? I bought a BMW! Oh no, that would mean that I'm not perfect! If I'm not perfect I must be an idiot! Also, 3 years is similar to 43 years in automotive technological advancements. No, BMW must be perfect after all. YOU'RE the idiot. Whew, now I can sleep at night.

Quote:

CA
Careful, CA, some readers here think "nuance" is a brand of soap.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post

Careful, CA, some readers here think "nuance" is a brand of soap.
Everyone knows Nuance is a software product not a kind of soap....

http://www.nuancestore.com/dr/v2/ec_...soft&sid=19198

you might be thinking of suave?

Also available in Alpine White...

Last edited by ///M-ratedE90; 02-19-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 335i, 525i
O.K. Let's get to real issues. I've heard that you can't mod a new model 335i with a JB.
Say it ain't so!
Old 03-21-2010, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335I
Logic7 SUCKS as well

IMO, the Logic7 is a very poor stereo. The weak FM reception and annoying HD that cuts in/out frequently and repeats parts of the same song is SAD!!! BMW's Logic7 is a POS entertainment system

In addition, BMW's North America customer care center is useless. They always side with the dealers and could care less about their unhappy customers. Just called BMW about headlight washer covers that fell off my new 335I, and was told that they are not covered under warranty I now have to pay around $600.00 to replace them...

BMW's factory warranty sucks
Old 02-19-2010, 04:56 PM

I do want to thank everyone for their comments.

A few more points:

I am sure that you read that I had the 2007 335i. I just repeated the order when the lease ended. I foolishly assumed that the car would remain the same for the most part. I can understand cost cutting due to the weaker dollar but sneakily removing stuff, well, in my book, that is sneaky. The biggest bummer is the radio. If I had any idea of the downgrade, I would have ordered the logic7. It would have added $800 to the car. Whats $800 on $50K? But the fact remains that BMW did not publicize the downgrade (why would they??) and the dealer claims that they were not specifically notified about the downgrade.

And no, I did not feel the need to check the 2010 floor model at the showroom from top to bottom and inside/outside and neither did I feel the need for a test drive. I wanted a stick and the dealer did not have a stick and I did not want to drive an automatic. So I did not. I did not turn the radio on at high volume and I certainly did not roll the windows down and open the sunroof and turn the radio on because i did not drive the car. Maybe I should have but the point I am trying to make is that all this information was not disclosed by BMW on their promo material or on the website. Especially the stereo. After all, we have come to expect a consistent level of quality from BMW over the years and I never expected this from BMW. Call me naive. I have learned my lesson.

I can live with the deletions. But not this pathetic, sad radio. And what sucks is that I am stuck with it.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by therajman View Post

A few more points:

I am sure that you read that I had the 2007 335i. I just repeated the order when the lease ended. I foolishly assumed that the car would remain the same for the most part. I can understand cost cutting due to the weaker dollar but sneakily removing stuff, well, in my book, that is sneaky. The biggest bummer is the radio. If I had any idea of the downgrade, I would have ordered the logic7. It would have added $800 to the car. Whats $800 on $50K? But the fact remains that BMW did not publicize the downgrade (why would they??) and the dealer claims that they were not specifically notified about the downgrade.

And no, I did not feel the need to check the 2010 floor model at the showroom from top to bottom and inside/outside and neither did I feel the need for a test drive. I wanted a stick and the dealer did not have a stick and I did not want to drive an automatic. So I did not. I did not turn the radio on at high volume and I certainly did not roll the windows down and open the sunroof and turn the radio on because i did not drive the car. Maybe I should have but the point I am trying to make is that all this information was not disclosed by BMW on their promo material or on the website. Especially the stereo. After all, we have come to expect a consistent level of quality from BMW over the years and I never expected this from BMW. Call me naive. I have learned my lesson.

I can live with the deletions. But not this pathetic, sad radio. And what sucks is that I am stuck with it.

Trust but always verify!

BMW decides to cheapen their brand on the back of small-cost details. It's ridiculous.

Talk to the dealer, they'll take it back if you get a M3 instead or a Series 6.
Do yourself that favor. You can also look at CPOs for these two models.

If not, sell it and buy something else.

$50K buys you a lot of power/ refinement, in particular in the secondary market. You could get a Maserati or a Porsche for that price.

I am sorry for your trouble.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:11 PM
my 335 with friend

Mein Auto: E90 335
Quote:

A few more points:

I am sure that you read that I had the 2007 335i. I just repeated the order when the lease ended.
Call me naive. I have learned my lesson.

I was in the exact same situation as you. Turn in of my 07 ordered a 10. I was lucky enough to be close to my dealer, and was very close to my sales person. In my trips to the dealer I noticed on the 09 window stickers that there was a cost for the radio upgrade, where as with our 07s it was included. So I dodged that bullet.

I agree that when you see the little things starting to come out of a car we love, it really hurts. But once I mass the throttle, the little issues melt away. Thank god they didn't take our turbo's away, now that would really hurt.

Oh yes one more thing not on peoples list. Engine compartment space now flat gray, no longer has the same paint quality as the exterior.

Darn one more thing, I started with a 2004 325, it had a wonderful quality paint job so glossy smooth and the head liner was of a quality felt type material. I have seen 7 years of items downgraded, but the road feel has stayed the best one can buy, and I am glad BMW keeps that and that we can still buy it.

In closing, BMW did give me 2,500 dollars to buy my car, so that helped soften the blow of the little things being taken away.

cr
Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328xi
Well I didn't just re-order I made sure I asked three seperate sales men if the car was the same and they all said yes. I previously owned the 2004 328 coupe and the 2007 328xi coupe. Both cars had premium package and sports package and I "Loved" both of them....okay I would have likedthe larger engine but the handling and the sound system, for me made the ride as enjoyable. Until I received my 2010 model last week. Nothing and I mean nothing about this car is enjoyable...well maybe it's still cute to look at but that's it. The xenon lights can't compare. My previous models lights lit up the road and sky. This models lights are so bad that my husband had to ask me if they were on!?! And everyone who has looked at them has said "there not xenon" but according to BMW they are. The handling and performance on this model can't compare either. I swear I am going to hit someone because the brakes are horrible. I can't tell you how many times in this past week I have thought "When is this car going to stop!!" What happened to the transmission that automatically downshifted when you took your foot off the gas??? I loved that feature!! But the worst thing that BMW did, the one that really disgusts me and makes the car just plain out unenjoyable is that friggin stock stereo system!!!!!!!!!! Really are they kidding me. Even at it's loudest volume you can have a complete conversation with someone without raising your voice!! On my 2007 and 2004 model I wasn't even able to get close to the highest setting on the stock radio (HK) my eardrums would of blew out. What makes it even worse is that on this current model if i put the volume close to it's loudest setting the speakers shriek so bad that I jump. On one 10 minute trip it did it 7 times. By the time I arrived at my destination I had a nervous stomach!!! I think what bothers me the most is BMW's lack of concern for a 3 time repeat customers satisfaction!! Their attitude has been appaling!!! I can't believe I special ordered this car and waited a month and a half for it to come in and now I can't stand driving it!! The other night when we had rain storms in our area I was hoping that my large oak tree would fall on the car and crush it!!!! I can't bare the thought of driving it for the next 36 months. I would much rather it be totalled and loose my $2500 upfront fees.....Atleast then I can move on to a real performance car!!!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X6 xDrive3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousey1616 View Post
Well I didn't just re-order I made sure I asked three seperate sales men if the car was the same and they all said yes. I previously owned the 2004 328 coupe and the 2007 328xi coupe. Both cars had premium package and sports package and I "Loved" both of them....okay I would have likedthe larger engine but the handling and the sound system, for me made the ride as enjoyable. Until I received my 2010 model last week. Nothing and I mean nothing about this car is enjoyable...well maybe it's still cute to look at but that's it. The xenon lights can't compare. My previous models lights lit up the road and sky. This models lights are so bad that my husband had to ask me if they were on!?! And everyone who has looked at them has said "there not xenon" but according to BMW they are. The handling and performance on this model can't compare either. I swear I am going to hit someone because the brakes are horrible. I can't tell you how many times in this past week I have thought "When is this car going to stop!!" What happened to the transmission that automatically downshifted when you took your foot off the gas??? I loved that feature!! But the worst thing that BMW did, the one that really disgusts me and makes the car just plain out unenjoyable is that friggin stock stereo system!!!!!!!!!! Really are they kidding me. Even at it's loudest volume you can have a complete conversation with someone without raising your voice!! On my 2007 and 2004 model I wasn't even able to get close to the highest setting on the stock radio (HK) my eardrums would of blew out. What makes it even worse is that on this current model if i put the volume close to it's loudest setting the speakers shriek so bad that I jump. On one 10 minute trip it did it 7 times. By the time I arrived at my destination I had a nervous stomach!!! I think what bothers me the most is BMW's lack of concern for a 3 time repeat customers satisfaction!! Their attitude has been appaling!!! I can't believe I special ordered this car and waited a month and a half for it to come in and now I can't stand driving it!! The other night when we had rain storms in our area I was hoping that my large oak tree would fall on the car and crush it!!!! I can't bare the thought of driving it for the next 36 months. I would much rather it be totalled and loose my $2500 upfront fees.....Atleast then I can move on to a real performance car!!!!!
SPAM, put this user on ignore. Great 1st post.

No doubt a disgruntled LexOta owner.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousey1616 View Post
Wow, how are some of these things possible with no handling changes, no brake changes, no xenon changes, etc. from 2007 to 2010?

At any rate, your car must feel really different from my car.

EDIT: And what transmission changes? What, they left the automatic downshifting only on the 335i or something??

- 2010 335i coupe (Monaco Blue, Cream Beige Leather, Gray Poplar, Sport package, etc.)
- 2013 M3 coupe on order (July production)

Last edited by JulieDriving; 03-16-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltrix View Post
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... ....

Not the cooler!!!!!!!!

Never used in almost 4 yr!!!!!

Quote:
I agree that when you see the little things starting to come out of a car we love, it really hurts.
+1!

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT

Last edited by MB330; 02-21-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:38 AM
GONE

Mein Auto: .................
Quote:
Why did you let go of your 2007 335i? The '09 models forward have what BMW calls the "Active Headrest", so that's why they don't tilt forward and backward. I know it sounds kind of ironic. Hearing about the downgraded audio system makes me mad. I agree that it is totally unacceptable to have such low grade quality speakers for a car in this caliber. I have already read about several members in this forum who were unaware of the downgraded speakers, and it is just sad.

-Windshield band gone
amen to that.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:42 AM

More Points

Every business is scrambling to retain their current customers. Customer retention is dependent on making your existing customer happy. In this economy, it is a buyer's market and not a seller's. So, in my opinion, BMW should be going out of the way to make their cars a better value and not a cheaper value. Yes, things are tough. Yes, things are tight. There is a credit crunch. Very few people are purchasing new cars, especially in the luxury segment. From that perspective, BMW should make every effort to keep the equipment levels consistent and not arbitrarily cut. Such tactics can turn off repeat buyers. I will be very leery next time I go back to BMW. Once burned, twice shy. I will make sure that I examine each and every option properly. This experience has made me skeptical and I am sure to do my research IF I ever go back to BMW.

Is it too much to ask for proper disclosure?

And, yes, I conducted my research and I took the time to "build my car" on their website. There was NO indication that the standard stereo had been downgraded. None at all. In fact, even now, if you go to the website, there are NO details to be had on the standard audio system - this is how it is listed in the features and specs area:

Anti-theft AM/FM stereo CD/MP3 player audio system with Radio Data System (RDS)

There are no details to be had. They dont tell you the number of speakers. Nothing. Nada.

In the options section, here is what is offered for the Logic7:

Logic7 sound system with Surround Sound and Digital Sound Processing

The fact that they did not provide the specifics on the standard system is what is sneaky.

I don't anything against BMW for decontenting the 3-series; my problem stems from the fact that they have done this is a stealthy fashion. That is all.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:
I don't anything against BMW for decontenting the 3-series; my problem stems from the fact that they have done this is a stealthy fashion. That is all.
I think you have the right to be mad. I suspect most buyers are not like those on the forums, knowing many details of each model year. I suspect many 07 to 10 drivers are disappointed about the same thing.

- 2010 335i coupe (Monaco Blue, Cream Beige Leather, Gray Poplar, Sport package, etc.)
- 2013 M3 coupe on order (July production)
Old 02-20-2010, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Every business is scrambling to retain their current customers. Customer retention is dependent on making your existing customer happy. In this economy, it is a buyer's market and not a seller's. So, in my opinion, BMW should be going out of the way to make their cars a better value and not a cheaper value. Yes, things are tough. Yes, things are tight. There is a credit crunch. Very few people are purchasing new cars, especially in the luxury segment. From that perspective, BMW should make every effort to keep the equipment levels consistent and not arbitrarily cut. Such tactics can turn off repeat buyers. I will be very leery next time I go back to BMW. Once burned, twice shy. I will make sure that I examine each and every option properly. This experience has made me skeptical and I am sure to do my research IF I ever go back to BMW.

Is it too much to ask for proper disclosure?

And, yes, I conducted my research and I took the time to "build my car" on their website. There was NO indication that the standard stereo had been downgraded. None at all. In fact, even now, if you go to the website, there are NO details to be had on the standard audio system - this is how it is listed in the features and specs area:

Anti-theft AM/FM stereo CD/MP3 player audio system with Radio Data System (RDS)

There are no details to be had. They dont tell you the number of speakers. Nothing. Nada.

In the options section, here is what is offered for the Logic7:

Logic7 sound system with Surround Sound and Digital Sound Processing

The fact that they did not provide the specifics on the standard system is what is sneaky.

This may not be good enough for you but BMW and all car companies add this kind of caveat to their literature and websites: "Actual prices and available options are subject to change and may vary from the Summary page listing." That is pasted from the Build Your Car page of the BMW USA website.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi coupe
Quote:
Every business is scrambling to retain their current customers. Customer retention is dependent on making your existing customer happy. In this economy, it is a buyer's market and not a seller's. So, in my opinion, BMW should be going out of the way to make their cars a better value and not a cheaper value. Yes, things are tough. Yes, things are tight. There is a credit crunch. Very few people are purchasing new cars, especially in the luxury segment. From that perspective, BMW should make every effort to keep the equipment levels consistent and not arbitrarily cut.
All yall chalking this up to an "oh so weaker dollar vs euro": May 2007 FX rate (USD/EUR): 1.3515 http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/EUR/hist2007.html, latest FX rate I could find: 1.3595. FX rate changes as the cause? NFW. All those blaming it on that -- do your research. This is simply BMW cheapening out. Is this the beginning of the end for an independent BMW? Possibly. There have been a lot of articles commenting that if BMW can't find a way to "get bigger" a la VW, it might be doomed. I hope not, but I guess we'll see. I'll agree with the OP that it's bizarre to find a luxury company decontenting their vehicle to the extent that BNW is, although I also agree that I'd do more research before plopping down $50K. I guess it's just a lesson for all of us. I might be looking at a 2011 M3, and I KNOW I'll be doing my research.

Last edited by swartzentruber; 02-20-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:

-Windshield band gone
I had my car for three years and never once used the cooler. It's the stupidest place to keep a drink, need to twist your right arm just to get to it! And if you keep it there, you lose the armrest. I won't miss it at all.
- E46 330ci (Retired)