Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
75,000 miles report and front brake job pics

I bought my 2005 X3 on August of 2008 with 42,000 miles; it is a Premium package, with beautiful Terracotta Montana Leather seats, and some options like heated seats, heated steering wheel and bluethooth.
Just after I got it, I took it in to perform some SIBs (door seals creaking, and sunroof knocking), they also replaced the rear differential bushings, and re-sealed rear vapor barrier three times due to rear foot well floding; all under original warranty.
It came with the Pirelli Scorpions, which I LOVE, and still good (although I anticipate replacement in the next 6 months)

After a year and a half of ownership, and 33,000 miles I couldn't be happier. I have had ZERO problems, and still puts a smile in my face, and never ceases to amaze me.
In November last year, it turned 70k.

I had replaced the rear brakes shortly before that, at 68k. I always get BMW parts whenever I can, so I keep the performace at its best, and brake feel and response is a top priority for me.
Now it has 75k miles and it's time to do the front brakes, brake wear sensor tripped last monday, so I went ahead and ordered the parts from Crown BMW (best prices and service online for BMW OE parts)
$350 with shipping for rotors, pads and sensor (50 lbs box), even cheaper than my local dealer.

I'm not good at write ups, but I did take some pictures, and thought I'd share my process here since we don't have this process documented in the X3 forum.

First, of course rise the vehicle and take the tire off , open brake fluid reservoir cap.

Remove the old brake wear sensor, if is not tripped, carefully pull it from the plastic part (not the wire) and you'll save about $20 bucks)

Then pull the anti-rattle spring forward.

Pull the plastic covers and using a 7mm allen socket and a rachet, take the two caliper bolts out, and reomove caliper with old pads pulling backwards. Place caliper on top, don't let it hang from the hose.

Then using a breaker bar and a 18mm socket, take the two caliper bracket bolts off. I'm a big fan of PB blaster, I used some and let is stay for a couple of minutes. (This bolts are REALLY tight)

With a 6mm allen, take the small screw holding the rotor.
Now, using a rubber mallet, smack the rotor from the back turning in each time so it comes lose. Take rotor off. (I used some PB blaster between the rotor and the hub to help losing it)

Now place your new and shiny rotor and align it with the small guide, where you will put back the screw. Be sure all the lug holes are aligned.

Then, get your caliper mount bracket and re install it.

Get your new pads ready,

Compress caliper piston, to accomodate new thicker pads

Compressed piston:

Now insert the inner pad first (the one with the clips),

and then the outer pad:

Place caliper back in place and replace the bolts.

If you are replacing the sensor, disconnect it from the plastic housing, and install the new sensor.

Now you are ready to do the other side, following the same procedure (excluding the sensor part, since sensor is on the passenger side.

Tools used:

Recycle your old parts:

Some notes:
-To RESET the light in the dash, just pump the brakes and turn the key to position II (all dash lights ON without starting the car) and leave it there for 30 to 60 seconds, it should turn off by itself.
-Since the OE rotors come compleatly coated from factory, it will take several brake applications for the coat to go away from the braking surface. You may hear a slight grinding noise the first few brake applications, this is normal.
-Brake dust should decrease considerably, I noticed this when I did the rear brakes, it looks like the more wear the pads have, the more dust they release.
-It took me about 30 minutes average per side, (passenger side took a little longer due to the sensor.)
-Feel free to ask an questions.

Last edited by X3-terrestrial; 03-12-2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Editing
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5
Great write up - thanks for the info. You forgot the fun part - bedding the brakes

One questions though. Where exactly does the sensor wire plug into the car. I had the wheel of once and tried following it and could not find the end (can't remember if it was the from or rear tire)?

Did you check the thickness of the rotor, or did you just decide to replace them anyway? Any problems taking the rotor retaining bolt out. I'll have to bookmark this one -I'm about 10k miles from where you are.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
Great write up - thanks for the info. You forgot the fun part - bedding the brakes

One questions though. Where exactly does the sensor wire plug into the car. I had the wheel of once and tried following it and could not find the end (can't remember if it was the from or rear tire)?

Did you check the thickness of the rotor, or did you just decide to replace them anyway? Any problems taking the rotor retaining bolt out. I'll have to bookmark this one -I'm about 10k miles from where you are.
I think I owe you some answers...

Regarding the old rotors' thickness, no I didn't check them. I went by previous experiences where the rotors are never thick enough to re-use. BMW rotors usually last about the same than the pads. Feeling the grove around the disc, it was worst than my rear ones, so that was a no-brainer.

The retaining bolt, no problems at all.

Last edited by X3-terrestrial; 03-08-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328 F25 X35, W209 AMG
greatjob with the brakes, i have 2 questions though:
1- shouldn't you have pressed on the brake pedal with the car off to release any unnecessary pressure in the system?

2- ain't you better off decompressing the caliper piston with the piston side old pad in place?
Old 03-07-2010, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2011 335i Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big W View Post
2- ain't you better off decompressing the caliper piston with the piston side old pad in place?

I like this idea.

What about the anti-squeak lube that goes on the back of the pads?

2007 550i Sport - White - Tan
Old 03-07-2010, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
Great DIY, thanks!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
--just amazed that you did that. And it took you 30 minutes. It would take me 30 minutes just to get the wheel off....
Old 03-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Sooooo complicated (for a non-handy man like me)..........looks like something I might ask someone else to do.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:36 PM
about the mini part....

Send a message via Skype™ to minicrazy592
Mein Auto: E90 M-tech, E30 M-tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Sooooo complicated (for a non-handy man like me)..........looks like something I might ask someone else to do.
Says he who wired in rear fogs.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to humbertob
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Nice write-up X3-terrestrial ! I'll use it in a couple of miles more for sure. My front pads are dusty as hell lately, so I think they will need to be replaced soon ! Thanks for your contribution for this BMW community ! God Bless you !
Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post

Thanks man. i didn't mention the bedding since it's optional, some recommend, some don't. The instruction sheet that came with the pads says, "don't make any violent braking for at least 150 miles" (I still bedded them...)
There's a little black plastic box attached to the wheel well, behind the strut tower, you just unsnap the clips and pull it open, there's two connectors inside just follow the wire for the right connector. Must have been a rear tire you had off, since that bow is hidden somewhere. (Ididn't replace the sensor when I did the rear brakes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big W View Post
greatjob with the brakes, i have 2 questions though:
1- shouldn't you have pressed on the brake pedal with the car off to release any unnecessary pressure in the system?

Thanks.
1-I could have, yes. But I never have any problems if I don't.
2-Yes, that's a good suggestion. I guess I got too anxious removing the old pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonga View Post
I like this idea.

What about the anti-squeak lube that goes on the back of the pads?
I don't use it-personal preference. I have never had squeaking problems whith OE pads. I also never found traces of lube when removing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenza View Post
Great DIY, thanks!
You're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubed View Post
--just amazed that you did that. And it took you 30 minutes. It would take me 30 minutes just to get the wheel off....
Well, 30 minutes PER side... but I've done it multiple times, on different cars so I guess one gets faster with practice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicrazy592 View Post
Says he who wired in rear fogs.
I was gonna say exactly the same thing! And AZN...it's no so complicated, just think how much $$$ you'd save and what you can do with it and you'll be under your car doing your brakes! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbertob View Post
Nice write-up X3-terrestrial ! I'll use it in a couple of miles more for sure. My front pads are dusty as hell lately, so I think they will need to be replaced soon ! Thanks for your contribution for this BMW community ! God Bless you !
Gracias Humberto

Last edited by X3-terrestrial; 03-08-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Great write-up X3t. Thank you very much.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 03-12-2010, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Did you have to reset the brake wear indicator light, or did it go out on its own?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 MT
good job nice write up
93 Miata LE

BMWCCA Member
past fun ones
99 540iT sport
91 318is M42
93 300E Sportline
99.5 A4 Avant 1.8T

Old 03-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by onodon View Post
Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and write it up. Nicely done.
This is a keeper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatch View Post
good job nice write up
Thanks guys. Hopefully more folks start doing the same, so we can have a DIY section!
Old 03-14-2010, 04:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Great write up!

What is the remaining thickness of the pads that will trigger the dash light??

Jeff
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 03-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeday View Post
Great write up!

What is the remaining thickness of the pads that will trigger the dash light??

Jeff
Thanks, mine had about 3mm of pad material remaining.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerker View Post
Did you have to reset the brake wear indicator light, or did it go out on its own?
Had to reset it. Just pump the brakes and turn the key to position II (all dash lights ON without starting the car) and leave it there for 30 to 60 seconds, it should turn off by itself
Old 03-12-2010, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
I bought my 2005 X3 on August of 2008 with 42,000 miles; it is a Premium package, with beautiful Terracotta Montana Leather seats, and some options like heated seats, heated steering wheel and bluethooth.
Just after I got it, I took it in to perform some SIBs (door seals creaking, and sunroof knocking), they also replaced the rear differential bushings, and re-sealed rear vapor barrier three times due to rear foot well floding; all under original warranty.
It came with the Pirelli Scorpions, which I LOVE, and still good (although I anticipate replacement in the next 6 months)

After a year and a half of ownership, and 33,000 miles I couldn't be happier. I have had ZERO problems, and still puts a smile in my face, and never ceases to amaze me.
In November last year, it turned 70k.

I had replaced the rear brakes shortly before that, at 68k. I always get BMW parts whenever I can, so I keep the performace at its best, and brake feel and response is a top priority for me.
Now it has 75k miles and it's time to do the front brakes, brake wear sensor tripped last monday, so I went ahead and ordered the parts from Crown BMW (best prices and service online for BMW OE parts)
$350 with shipping for rotors, pads and sensor (50 lbs box), even cheaper than my local dealer.

I'm not good at write ups, but I did take some pictures, and thought I'd share my process here since we don't have this process documented in the X3 forum.

First, of course rise the vehicle and take the tire off , open brake fluid reservoir cap.

Remove the old brake wear sensor, if is not tripped, carefully pull it from the plastic part (not the wire) and you'll save about $20 bucks)

Then pull the anti-rattle spring forward.

Pull the plastic covers and using a 7mm allen socket and a rachet, take the two caliper bolts out, and reomove caliper with old pads pulling backwards. Place caliper on top, don't let it hang from the hose.

Then using a breaker bar and a 18mm socket, take the two caliper bracket bolts off. I'm a big fan of PB blaster, I used some and let is stay for a couple of minutes. (This bolts are REALLY tight)

With a 6mm allen, take the small screw holding the rotor.
Now, using a rubber mallet, smack the rotor from the back turning in each time so it comes lose. Take rotor off. (I used some PB blaster between the rotor and the hub to help losing it)

Now place your new and shiny rotor and align it with the small guide, where you will put back the screw. Be sure all the lug holes are aligned.

Then, get your caliper mount bracket and re install it.

Get your new pads ready,

Compress caliper piston, to accomodate new thicker pads

Compressed piston:

Now insert the inner pad first (the one with the clips),

and then the outer pad:

Place caliper back in place and replace the bolts.

If you are replacing the sensor, disconnect it from the plastic housing, and install the new sensor.

Now you are ready to do the other side, following the same procedure (excluding the sensor part, since sensor is on the passenger side.

Tools used:

Recycle your old parts:

Some notes:
-Since the OE rotors come compleatly coated from factory, it will take several brake applications for the coat to go away from the braking surface. You may hear a slight grinding noise the first few brake applications, this is normal.
-Brake dust should decrease considerably, I noticed this when I did the rear brakes, it looks like the more wear the pads have, the more dust they release.
-It took me about 30 minutes average per side, (passenger side took a little longer due to the sensor.)
-Feel free to ask an questions.
Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and write it up. Nicely done.
This is a keeper.
1992 190e 2.6
2004 X3 (retired)
1999 C230 Kompressor w/ sport package (retired)
Old 06-04-2010, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 Blue & silv.325ci
Thanks, X3-terrestrial! Ordered the parts from oembimmerparts.com and was able to change them in about two hours. I'm not as quick as you, but your instructions are superb! I now know why you wore gloves .
Old 06-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry325 View Post
Thanks, X3-terrestrial! Ordered the parts from oembimmerparts.com and was able to change them in about two hours. I'm not as quick as you, but your instructions are superb! I now know why you wore gloves .
Good to know this is helping! Hey, two hours isn't bad, first time is always more time consuming, and just get a good pair of mechanics' gloves, they help a lot!

Last edited by X3-terrestrial; 06-06-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Can this be added to the DIY post?

Although I have never done a brake job, it doesn't look that hard if you have all the tools and stuff you need. This must be a serious money maker for BMW shops. They typically charge around $1100 for a 4 wheel brake job that takes them probably 1-2 hours and a couple hundred in parts (their cost) maybe.

I am going to have to try this myself next time.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: X3-330XI
Thanks for the great writeup!

I've not done it for the BMW's (both have less than 40 K right now) but for another vehicle of mine. Most of the time I spent was removing the rotors. This vehicle though had 70K and the rotors had binded a bit.

The whole process though is one of patience taking your time. Easier for a shop to do when lifting the entire vehicle versus the DIY one wheel at a time; but the satisfaction of the DIY is what counts.
E83 2006 Mods installed: Homelink mirror. CIS-IBUS Nav video module, AUX, Rear DR release, NAV SoftW-Mods, Mud Flaps, sun room Visor, Atom based CarPC. Purchased & pending - BMW CD Changer (NOT Installed). Pending: remote start & LED Angel eyes.
E46 2001 - 18.5 wheels/tires (summer), 17 stock (winter), Homelink, NAV software upgrade, 16:9 display, BMW video module, Radio to V53, AUX, USB IBUS interface,OEM alarm install, Mini ITX computer, tank battery(removed) & remote starter.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2011 335i Vert
Great write up. Looks just like my 550i as well. I did the rears and the calipers and rotor connections and procedures are identical.

to me the most daunting is removing the caliper bracket (the 18mm VERY tight bolt) and the rotors. I only changed the rear pads on my 550i, not rotors.

2007 550i Sport - White - Tan
Old 06-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Torque specs?

What are the torque specs when reinstalling the caliper bolts?