Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 11-01-2003, 09:58 PM
Family Man User

Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
replacing factory ZHP stereo

Okay, some confusing issues about replacing the factory receiver with an aftermarket...

I stopped by a dealership today, and the salesman told me that if I get NAV for my 2004 ZHP, it would be pretty much impossible to replace the stereo with an aftermarket MP3/CD receiver. He said that if I wanted a new stereo, it'd be better to just replace the tray with a new stereo, so that I'd have two. But even then, since the NAV is hooked up to the speakers, I'd be better off not getting NAV.

Also, he told me that even if I don't get NAV, to replace the stereo would be tricky because of the hidden cassette player behind the face. He said if I replace it I might void some warranty.

I'm not sure how much he really knew about, well, anything that he said. Does anyone know if any of the above sounds right? I'd really appreciate any light shed on the matter...
Ads by Google
Old 11-02-2003, 02:34 AM
Family Man User

Um, wait a minute. Was the salesman I talked to completely wrong about the cassette player? From the BMW website, it doesn't look like it comes with one. Just FM/AM/CD...
Old 11-02-2003, 04:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
He's COMPLETELY right about Nav.

He's not correct about the regular stereo. It is a pain in the ass, and you may get **** from your dealer, though.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 11-02-2003, 06:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
Okay, some confusing issues about replacing the factory receiver with an aftermarket...

Also, he told me that even if I don't get NAV, to replace the stereo would be tricky because of the hidden cassette player behind the face. He said if I replace it I might void some warranty.
The default stereo comes with a sincle CD player. There is a no cost option to have the stereo come with cassette player. Both of those are part of the receiver "box" so there are no hidden players.

You may want to do a search on this issue. I believe that you will find that replacing the stereo will not be a plug-and-play swap.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
The default stereo comes with a sincle CD player. There is a no cost option to have the stereo come with cassette player. Both of those are part of the receiver "box" so there are no hidden players.

You may want to do a search on this issue. I believe that you will find that replacing the stereo will not be a plug-and-play swap.
Think the cassette option was dropped for 2004. Did not see that option in the 2004 E46 Sedan brochure. Was in the 2003 brochure.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:22 AM
iPod and XM enabled

Mein Auto: 330Ci
Quote:

I stopped by a dealership today, and the salesman told me that if I get NAV for my 2004 ZHP, it would be pretty much impossible to replace the stereo with an aftermarket MP3/CD receiver. He said that if I wanted a new stereo, it'd be better to just replace the tray with a new stereo, so that I'd have two. But even then, since the NAV is hooked up to the speakers, I'd be better off not getting NAV.

I'm not sure how much he really knew about, well, anything that he said. Does anyone know if any of the above sounds right? I'd really appreciate any light shed on the matter...
What are your motivations for changing out the OEM headunit? The only one I saw in your post was MP3. If that is the case, you have a couple of options regardless of if you go NAV or not that let you keep the OEM unit:

- Get the AUX-IN adapter for the head-unit. This essentially provides a line in to your stereo for any device such as iPod or XM radio etc.

- Add an Alpine MP3 CD changer to your car.

Search on this forum for the appropriate keywords, you will find tons of info. BTW: I've never seen a modern BMW with an aftermarket headunit that did not look like ass... keep the OEM headunit and if you want the NAV, get it... it is very cool.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:49 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquetel
What are your motivations for changing out the OEM headunit? The only one I saw in your post was MP3. If that is the case, you have a couple of options regardless of if you go NAV or not that let you keep the OEM unit:

- Get the AUX-IN adapter for the head-unit. This essentially provides a line in to your stereo for any device such as iPod or XM radio etc.

- Add an Alpine MP3 CD changer to your car.

Search on this forum for the appropriate keywords, you will find tons of info. BTW: I've never seen a modern BMW with an aftermarket headunit that did not look like ass... keep the OEM headunit and if you want the NAV, get it... it is very cool.
Yeah, it'd be to get the MP3 functionality. Well, that and because an Alpine headunit would provide more power to the speakers, I'd think. Do you know the specs of the HK stereo provided with the ZHP?

I don't think an iPod would work for me. It'd be a pain to connect and disconnect it every time I drove. An MP3 changer or replacing the receiver I think is my best bet. I guess I'll call a BMW service center and ask about switching out the head unit, but do you know how a changer would work? Can you get that in-dash, or is the Alpine unit glovebox or trunk? Does it function well with the factory stereo controls, i.e. will the CD-text info scroll across the screen?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:42 AM
Why can't we get Diesels?

Mein Auto: V70R, JGC, MCS
Quote:
Yeah, it'd be to get the MP3 functionality. Well, that and because an Alpine headunit would provide more power to the speakers, I'd think. Do you know the specs of the HK stereo provided with the ZHP?

I don't think an iPod would work for me. It'd be a pain to connect and disconnect it every time I drove. An MP3 changer or replacing the receiver I think is my best bet. I guess I'll call a BMW service center and ask about switching out the head unit, but do you know how a changer would work? Can you get that in-dash, or is the Alpine unit glovebox or trunk? Does it function well with the factory stereo controls, i.e. will the CD-text info scroll across the screen?

Thanks.
I noticed we have the same car. I also have a 190E 2.6. How do you like it? How many miles? Is is eating oil like mine?

By the way, no need to keep explaining us that you want to do this and that to your "ZHP stereo." The car is just a 330i, and for the purposes of the stereo, it might qas well be a 325 wagon. You may even get more responses by saying you have a question about your 3-series' stereo, since only a few people have ZHP's.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:34 AM
iPod and XM enabled

Quote:

Thanks.
I think most, if not all of your questions have been asked and answered on bimmerfest before. For example, using the keywords of "MP3" and "changer" and "Alpine" I found these:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=alpine+mp3
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=alpine+mp3
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=mp3+changer

Give that search function a try, it allows you to make use of the wealth of knowledge that has been documented on this board.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:

If you had a 330i or 325i I would probably have been able to tell you the score, but since you have a "ZHP" I'm afraid my advice would be quite invalid - sorry!

Go and have a look at the NAV (why capitals?) system and you will see what the dealer is talking about. The navigation system is integrated with the stereo - so if you get the navigation system you cannot then change the stereo because it *is* the stereo.

You can stick with the stock stereo (a CD player for US market) and get BMW's aftermarket navigation system. If you really must have an aftermarket stereo, you can then rip out the BMW CD player and stick in whatever you like. However you need to be sure that BMW's aftermarket navigation system will work with your chosen aftermarket head unit - otherwise you'll never be able to hear the navigation system, well, navigating you.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Note: BMW's aftermarket navigation system is not available here.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 11-03-2003, 06:43 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
Quote:

ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Why? Why? Why?
Old 11-03-2003, 06:59 AM
The Original Dr. Phil

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP, ZHP

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Why? Why? Why?
Because we can

Old 11-03-2003, 07:03 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil
Because we can

But even the M3 guys are smart enough to know that their stereos are identical to the stereos in "ergualr" E46s. Why are you ZHP guys so consistently dense about this?

I'm waiting to see a post asking about the special ZHP floormats.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:16 AM
The Original Dr. Phil

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
But even the M3 guys are smart enough to know that their stereos are identical to the stereos in "ergualr" E46s. Why are you ZHP guys so consistently dense about this?

I'm waiting to see a post asking about the special ZHP floormats.
Do you mean like this one?

Old 11-03-2003, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: E46 330i
Woah guys, wait a minute. There *is* a difference between the ZHP headunit and the non-ZHP one. When you turn the volume knob on the ZHP, the volume goes up faster than the regular stereo! No, it's not actually louder, but it seems like you have a more powerful system b/c you only have to twist the knob a little bit to get lots of sound!

j/k...
Old 11-02-2003, 07:23 AM
iPod and XM enabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
Just a heads up: Whichever stereo you choose to replace the stock unit, make sure it's designed SPECIFICALLY for the ZHP. If it doesn't have the 'Designed for ZHP' logo on the box, then it won't work. I wasted a few grand on head units before I figured this out.