Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition

BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition
Have an interest in BMW motorcycles or just motorcycles in general? Discuss the line of BMW motorcycles and how they may compare to the rest of the competition in this forum!

Old 08-13-2010, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 1200cl
Uneven tire wear

My front tire on my R1200cl is wearing unevenly. Any ideas??
Ads by Google
Old 08-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 335d,08 K12GT,10 S1000
define uneven tire wear. and how about some more info, what pressures are you running what tire and how many miles are on that tire.
08 WR250R
Old 08-14-2010, 06:39 PM

Uneven tire wear

Sorry I should have given more info;
Tire pressure: 36psi checked when cold
Miles: I was on a trip to Tennessee/North Carolina approx 3500 miles, when at about 2800 miles, I noticed it was wearing on the left side. This was after riding the Dragon and the cheraholla skyway and all the other great roads and rides.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 335d,08 K12GT,10 S1000
greater tire wear evenly on the left hand side of the front tire as opposed to right is normal here in the US. roadway surfaces are generally crowned and since you are riding on the right hand side of the road you will see more wear on the left side of the tire. this would be reversed in left hand drive countries.
cupping of the front wheel is the most common form of uneven tire wear (in my experiences) for the front tire and can be due to a number of things from worn steering bearings to worn shocks to over/under inflated tires.
another thing you can do is check out your tire manufactures website as they have tire pressure recommendations specific for the tire you are running on your bike (at least some so), it may surprise you as to what the tire company says your pressures should be as opposed to what BMW says (usually lower than BMW in my experience)

as long as the wear is even on the left side of the tire I wouldnt sweat it.

that area is a fantastic place to ride. I was up there in May riding with a buddy of mine that rode down from Ohio for several days, we stayed at fontana village and had a blast riding all over the area. If you want a good source of maps for any given area (in the US)try "Mad Maps" very nice product and they both sell hard copy maps (made out of a very tuff plastic like paper) and downloads for a garmin so you can look over the maops in the even and pick routes or combinations of routes and then use the GPSs to follow them.
08 WR250R
Old 08-15-2010, 05:36 AM

uneven tire wear

Thanks for all the info. I will have someone check out the bearings and the shocks just in case.

Also thanks for the madmaps reference, I had such a great time riding there, I might have to make it a yearly event.
Fintan