Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750i
06 750 Transmission problem?

Hello all, been doing a lot of searchon on my problem with no success and was hoping to get some help here. I have an 2006 750i. I a hard to describe slip, tug, jerk,,, its slight but noticable. This happens mostly when I accellerate over 60mph, then come down to around 50 and slowly accellerate through 60 again, up a hill seems a bit worse. Also just started happening a bit when I start off and hit around 40. Not sure if the clutch is slipping of the abs is engaging or what? No lights come on and it seems when I accelerate quickly or get on it, its fine.... Anyone experienc anything like this?

Thanks for your help...
Ads by Google
Old 11-04-2010, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750 Li
different transmission problem

I have a transmission problem, although sounds different than yours. Periodically if I accelerate after nearly stopping (i.e. at a yield, or at a stop sign), the trannie kicks in with a bang, then drives fine. Also, I have twice had the unnerving experience of putting it into drive, only to have the transmission not do anything (the engine just revs, or you can only go in reverse) except set off a transmission malfunction alert. Fortunately after turning the car off and then starting it up again it works fine, which makes me think it's a computer issue. I brought it in to have BMW look at it, and of course neither problem occurred during the test drive with the mechanic, and nothing showed up on the fault codes. Go figure.

I think I might also sometimes experience what you're describing, but as you noted it goes away if you goose the gas a bit, so I've just figured the computer isn't downshifting enough for my taste.

Last edited by Crasher1339; 11-04-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: add extra info
Old 01-26-2011, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher1339 View Post
I have a transmission problem, although sounds different than yours. Periodically if I accelerate after nearly stopping (i.e. at a yield, or at a stop sign), the trannie kicks in with a bang, then drives fine. Also, I have twice had the unnerving experience of putting it into drive, only to have the transmission not do anything (the engine just revs, or you can only go in reverse) except set off a transmission malfunction alert. Fortunately after turning the car off and then starting it up again it works fine, which makes me think it's a computer issue. I brought it in to have BMW look at it, and of course neither problem occurred during the test drive with the mechanic, and nothing showed up on the fault codes. Go figure.
I had the exact same thing happen to my 2006 750i. I would put it into D and it would do nothing. I was getting Transmission Fault messages and the thing just was driving me nuts. I brought it in to BMW service and they are replacing the Transmission Sleeve, refilling it with Transmission fluid and resetting the computer. All this has been done under warranty. I will be picking the car up in a few days and I'll report back as to how its running.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Jeep on 44s, E66 on 22s

Mein Auto: 2004 E66 LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocho910 View Post
I had the exact same thing happen to my 2006 750i. I would put it into D and it would do nothing. I was getting Transmission Fault messages and the thing just was driving me nuts. I brought it in to BMW service and they are replacing the Transmission Sleeve, refilling it with Transmission fluid and resetting the computer. All this has been done under warranty. I will be picking the car up in a few days and I'll report back as to how its running.
I agree here. What I would tell you to do is have the BMW dealership upgrade the software on the car to the most current version- it is amazing what difference that will make. When you are ready to rebuild that transmission shoot me a PM- I have a much better solution to that which the dealership will offer you and which will cost you about the same and an OEM rebuild.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750LI
jocho910 im having the same issue. How do I get in touch with you? Can you shoot me a message? I did everything the dealership asked and the trans is still slipping and now seems like it wont get out of gear. Also it wont go into a higher gear and the trans fault "drive moderatly" light stays on.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Koolaid,
Did you have them replace the bridge seal adapter yet, between the mechatronics and transmission?

2006 750 I
Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
Quote:

I think I might also sometimes experience what you're describing, but as you noted it goes away if you goose the gas a bit, so I've just figured the computer isn't downshifting enough for my taste.
i have same issuse for what ive read and been told it could be clutch dust or other issuse
only way to tell is to drop ur tranny and have it checked or low fluid getting mine fixed next week will post
Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
Do you get any messages come up?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:04 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by myeagleputt View Post
Hello all, been doing a lot of searchon on my problem with no success and was hoping to get some help here. I have an 2006 750i. I a hard to describe slip, tug, jerk,,, its slight but noticable. This happens mostly when I accellerate over 60mph, then come down to around 50 and slowly accellerate through 60 again, up a hill seems a bit worse. Also just started happening a bit when I start off and hit around 40. Not sure if the clutch is slipping of the abs is engaging or what? No lights come on and it seems when I accelerate quickly or get on it, its fine.... Anyone experienc anything like this?

Thanks for your help...
Does it feel like the car is stuttering? If yes, it could be the torque converter locking and unlocking that you are feeling. My suggestion would be to try the "resetting" of the ZF algorithm with the gas pedal trick. Also try this, go to 60 and switch to M mode, then decelerate to 50. Down shift 1 gear (probably 6th to 5th) and try accelerating. Do you still get that feeling?

Quote:

I can't comment to much on the harsh engagement, all I can really suggest is to check the condition of the transmission fluid.

As far as it not going into D, I do have a tip on how to replicate it! Find a parking garage and park in a spot on an incline. Then put the car in reverse and reverse out like normal. Then turn the wheel all the way and shift into D, let of the brake and mash the gas (not so you run off the garage). This will cause the problem to show it's ugly head and not go anywhere.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745LI
I have the same issue as the original tread. It pulls and tugs slightly as I accelerate gradually. I get a "limited transmission failure" indication. I took the car to a BMW 3rd party specilaist and told me that it could be the torque converter or the tranny. They said if you do the torque converter you could be wasting your money. They also said they don't rebuild tranny's for these beamers. $7600 out the door for new tranny job.

The dealership wants $180 to do the software uopgrade. What is the "gas pedal trick as mentioned by CSMEANCE???? Honestly, I don't want to pay for a new tranny if I don't have to. The 2003 745LI car with 125,000 miles is only worth around $20,000 for crying out loud. Help? anyone?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 PM

What csmenace is talking about is to reset the transmission adaption. Basically, the transmission adapts to your driving style and this trick resets it. Here's how to do it

With the car off get in, don't put your foot on the brake.
Press the start button once.
Press and hold down the accelerator pedal for 25 seconds.
Start as usual.

Have you ever changed your transmission fluid? or even the infamous sealing sleeve?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhoot View Post
What csmenace is talking about is to reset the transmission adaption. Basically, the transmission adapts to your driving style and this trick resets it. Here's how to do it

With the car off get in, don't put your foot on the brake.
Press the start button once.
Press and hold down the accelerator pedal for 25 seconds.
Start as usual.

Have you ever changed your transmission fluid? or even the infamous sealing sleeve?
Thanks. I performed the gas pedal trick and looks like the car did make some adjustments and drives better but I'm not totally convinced the pull and tug is all gone. It might be my imagination. Maybe the mechatronic sleeve will do the final trick? How much is it? Can I do that work myself or is it super complicated? I did change the tranny fluid recently.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2spyplane View Post
Thanks. I performed the gas pedal trick and looks like the car did make some adjustments and drives better but I'm not totally convinced the pull and tug is all gone. It might be my imagination. Maybe the mechatronic sleeve will do the final trick? How much is it? Can I do that work myself or is it super complicated? I did change the tranny fluid recently.
Your problem is probably because of this:
Quote:
Well I wanted to share my experience on my first ever 2003 745LI transmission Oil Change (no pan and filter)

Step 1) went to Pelicanparts.com to buy qty (6) $17/liters versus paying $50/liter at dealer

Step 2) removed pan covering tranny plug and drained oil into exactly 4 liter container

step 3) look desperately for 1/2 hr trying to find the dip stick so I can refill fluid but much to my surprise - there isn't one. hence, "lifetime fluid" does not require oil change which is BS

step 4) looked online for tranny oil refill port hole but couldn't find it. Called dealer after 1/2hr wait and ask "...where in the hell do you put the new oil in?" He stated "...it's located just above the drain hole on one of the sides of the tranny"

step 5) removed refill port hole located on the tranny side and it was factory torqued to 1 million damn F'in Lbs/sq in. has to use an extension on my rachet while lieing underneath my car that was propped up on rhino ramps onthe front end tires. jammed my knuckles on a upwarde motion as it released spontaneously.

step 6) got my dad's suction pump with 12in transparent plastic hose to suck out 1 liter at a time and pump it into the port hole

step 7) i only managed to put in 2 liters out of the 4 i took out before it spewed all over my arm and onto my Dad's driveway ( he was pissed)

step 8) brought car off ramps and put on ramp on side of port hole (passenger's side) and jacked up the back end too. car is leaning at 15 to 20 degree incline with both tires in air so I can fit more fluid. put in another liter before it spewed again. dropped a couple of "F" bombs

step 9) put plug back in and road the car around the block twice to get fluid mixed in the tranny parts and make room for more. one more liter to go!!!

step 10) put car back on its side and managed to put in 1/4 of a liter.

step 11) put plug back in and drain cover too. Done! took me 3.5 hrs to do this and saved myself $500.

WTF? How is it that I took out 4 liters and can only put in 3.25? Why did the delaer guy tell me it takes 6 liters after I told him I'm not draing the torque converter - just the tranny fluid?
That almost 1 litre short is the issue! My car had the leaking gasket, and with 1/2 liter low it was shifting slightly rough and was throwing faults. I think that is a big part of why your trans isn't functioning. The way to make sure it gets all it's fluid back is to quickly pump it in with the car running. Read the DIY and it'll help out more.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:53 PM

gotcha! thanks. umm yes i replaced it 3 months ago but never the sleeve.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 760li
i was experiencing the same problems and had the mechatronic sealing sleeve replaced also the adapter replaced and ignition coils replaced...problem fixed and no tranny faults driving smoothly now
Old 02-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Da1NOnly

Mein Auto: 750i,Tahoe,GSXR 600
I just had my mechatronic sealing sleeve replaced too when i was getting P,D,N D1,D2 faults. basically my 7 wouldn't go into D or R it just stayed in P. The dealer replaced this sleeve,after I had it towed to them and she's ridin again but its my first day,i'll post back if the problem comes back.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
has anyone heard of a egs code 4f4b - gear malfunction code?
my 2002 745i is now showing that code and wondering if it is a blown trans when it drives. this is silly.
what is the costof trans from the dealer?
ken
Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM

above $7500. i had a BMW auto shop wuote me a out the door price. they don't rebuild them. they drop the old and slap a new factory spec one in. I would say between $8000 to $10,000. just a guess though. Now, that is silly!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:21 PM

tranny cost

they replaced mine under warranty and the bill was about 12k new tranny labor and 1800 bucks for fluid
Old 06-11-2013, 11:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwardjr View Post
they replaced mine under warranty and the bill was about 12k new tranny labor and 1800 bucks for fluid
for fluid? everytime i hear from the SA about how they are "sealed units" and you "can't" change the fluid, because it "doesn't" need it.... so, theoretically speaking, if you cant change it, it should come with fluid inside.... why would they charge 1800$ in addition for fluid?

At least yours was out of warranty.... blasted $tealerships....
Old 06-13-2013, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
My dealership wanted over $800.00 to change the transmission fluid, mostly the BMW tranny pan and filter. The tranny fluid definetly needs to be changed around 100000 but the bridge seal adapter will break after 100000. We've already replaced 2 bridge seal adapters with about 120,000 on the 7's. My wife has a 04 745 I. I called ZF and spoke to an engineer and he told me about the bridge seal adapter. My son was able to get at it fairly easily since it is between the mechatronics and tranny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bridgeseal.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	381534  

2006 750 I
Old 03-03-2011, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
Quote:
above $7500. i had a BMW auto shop wuote me a out the door price. they don't rebuild them. they drop the old and slap a new factory spec one in. I would say between $8000 to $10,000. just a guess though. Now, that is silly!
they do rebuiled this trannys who ever told u that just wants u to buy the new tranny
for 8gs rather then pay 2600 for a rebuiled
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 PM

wow! u r good. how did you find my old post? I sure hope you are right. not sure where i can find DIY but someone put in my post how to do it. I guess I can follow it.You are a life saver Mr. CS. Thanks bud! :-)
Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 PM

oh did i mention that i have a "check engine soon" light that came on yesterday? I don't one of those fault readers either. damn. what else can go wrong?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
wow! u r good. how did you find my old post? I sure hope you are right. not sure where i can find DIY but someone put in my post how to do it. I guess I can follow it.You are a life saver Mr. CS. Thanks bud! :-)
The find post button because you had said that you posted in a thread and I didn't know which one!

Here's the link to the DIY, I hope its the problem because it makes sense, low fluid means that it can't lubricate itself properly for operation thus the jerkiness from the metal on metal contact or whatever surfaces there are!

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502985

Quote:
oh did i mention that i have a "check engine soon" light that came on yesterday? I don't one of those fault readers either. damn. what else can go wrong?
Check engine soon light? Do you mean the Yellow Check engine light? How many miles are on your car exactly? Did you get any sort of message on the I-drive? Go to Vehicle info, then click vehicle check and it should bring up the CEL or fault with a generic idea of what it is. Go to autozone and they can get the code for free!

I'm thinking its the O2 sensors that are probably tripping the code since they are supposed to be replaced around 100K miles.