Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-19-2011, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Secondary Air Injection System Fault P0492

I have a 2005 545i and am getting a P0492 fault. I believe that the pipe is cracked that goes from the secondary injection pump to the valve on either side of the back of the engine. P0492 would lead me to believe the problem is on the drivers side. I can hear the pump come on when the engine is first started and believe that I can hear air leaking from the pipe. Has anyone replaced this pipe and is it possible to do it without removing the intake manifold. It is very tight where the pipes connect to the valves. If the intake needs to be removed, what gaskets will I need and what else should I consider replacing while I am at it.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
Ads by Google
Old 06-07-2012, 07:29 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere

Mein Auto: 330i, Z3 2.8L, 545i
I have this code as of this morning. Just starting the research. Has anyone solved?
Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere

P0492

I reset the code and it ran clear for a couple of days. It came back this morning (P0492) secondary air bank.

However, is this a true fault? The secondary air only runs for a couple of minutes. My code appears at least 15 minutes into driving. The air pump is not even running at this point. Is this a false positive. Could it actually be a faulty O2 sensor?

On my Z3 had simialr problem and SES came on with in first minute of cold start. This was a bad hose.

I just don't think it is an air leak when the pump isn't even running.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Bobby Bouchet

Send a message via Skype™ to BobbyBucher
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Secondary Air Injection System Error

Did you guys figure out what was causing this on your cars? I have a 05 545i with 120k and I just got the error message after it sat for a month except my code is (P0491) which is the left bank.

This car is like a HOT Physco girl friend!! I love it and I can't stand it at the same time!!
It has other issues also. I should probably open this in a new thread but since your here.
Have either of you had smoke come from your tail pipe when you first take off after you sit at a light for more than a minute idling?

Thanks for listening!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330Ci
yes, I have an 05 545i sport with 140k and this has happened to me several times after sitting at a long light or just sitting with the engine running for a few minutes. Anyone have any suggestions it is greatly appreciate. I have had the P0491 & 0492 code for a month now. Still working on how to figure out exactly what the problem is; the pump, the valve, the hose ??? Thanks for any input.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Lucky to drive a BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 M5///
I had that code on my car one of two secondary smog pumps went bad and the long thin air hoses that cary the secondary air cracked in places thus losing secondary air and sounding a code. It looks like the valve can also lose its seal around its base at exaust header. Get the code diagnosed, then DIY the valves and air hoses.

Last edited by luckydog; 12-08-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5, 05 545i
05 E60 P0491 Secondary Air Injection System Fault

Hey Guys,
I too have this issue for about 2 weeks. Reset the code twice using my new Android Torgue app (Droid Razr) in conjunction w/new Bluetooth OBDII (Excel) diagnostic plug device. Code came back again...now after some research I have to dive in and do a complete systematic air flow check. This links may help:

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...es+2004+-+2005

I will check back in w/ my findings!

Thanks to everyone for the posts in this forum, I have learned a lot and saved thousands!

Steve

Last edited by svett; 02-07-2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 M3, 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by svett View Post
Hey Guys,
I too have this issue for about 2 weeks. Reset the code twice using my new Android Torgue app (Droid Razr) in conjunction w/new Bluetooth OBDII (Excel) diagnostic plug device. Code came back again...now after some research I have to dive in and do a complete systematic air flow check. These links will help: 2nd one is pg 6

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ary+air+system

https://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/2...newsletter.pdf

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...es+2004+-+2005

I will check back in w/ my findings!

Thanks to everyone for the posts in this forum, I have learned a lot and saved thousands!

Steve
The first two links are not applicable to your 545i. Unlike the 6 cylinder engines, the N62 SA system does not use vacuum operated check valves, and the fresh air is routed through the heads into the exhaust ports, not into the headers. The CEL is activated when the O2 sensors don't sense a lean shift due to fresh air entering the exhaust during SAP operation. This can be due to a cracked y-pipe under the intake manifold, stuck check valves, or clogged SA ports in the heads. Unfortunately, clogged ports are quite often the problem. This requires removal of the heads and drilling out the carbon. Some people over in the E65 forum have claimed success in opening up the ports using solvents and wire brushes, but I spent a week doing that with no success. So, it's head removal time for me. Fortunately, I have the means and the know-how to do the job myself.

Last edited by Stephen Max; 01-24-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 1994 325IC
Secondary Air Injection System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Max View Post
The first two links are not applicable to your 545i. Unlike the 6 cylinder engines, the N62 SA system does not use vacuum operated check valves, and the fresh air is routed through the heads into the exhaust ports, not into the headers. The CEL is activated when the O2 sensors don't sense a lean shift due to fresh air entering the exhaust during SAP operation. This can be due to a cracked y-pipe under the intake manifold, stuck check valves, or clogged SA ports in the heads. Unfortunately, clogged ports are quite often the problem. This requires removal of the heads and drilling out the carbon. Some people over in the E65 forum have claimed success in opening up the ports using solvents and wire brushes, but I spent a week doing that with no success. So, it's head removal time for me. Fortunately, I have the means and the know-how to do the job myself.
I saw the YouTube having the video to show how to clear the clogged passage.

Last edited by Ricardo567; 01-25-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: No linkpage
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Max View Post
Thanks for clearing this up Steve! There have been several postings since mine/yours. Do you have any additional comments for us?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 PM

Hello,

Seafoam has been a reputation over 50 years and it is natural base oil.
It has been proved that it won't harm any catalic converter at all.

You can research online to see how seafoam has been safe for catalic converter.
Ric
Old 01-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo567 View Post
Hello,

Seafoam has been a reputation over 50 years and it is natural base oil.
It has been proved that it won't harm any catalic converter at all.

You can research online to see how seafoam has been safe for catalic converter.
Ric
I see,,,, ok does sea foam actually desolve carbon, or does the carbon flake off,

What about broken up carbon particles clogging up the air passages in the converter,,, wonder if it would b a good idea to remove the converters while performing that task,, avoiding ur cats clogging up with carbon debris ,, ,
Old 01-26-2013, 12:10 PM

The white smoke coming out is the dissolved carbon burning off, not the Seafoam. In the new or low mileage engine, you won't see that much white smoke. Sea Foam actually helps to clean the catalytic elements, restoring its efficiency, and reducing the "rotten egg" odor you occasionally smell from some catalytic converters.
I have tried this task as video showing and never have had catalytic converter failure so far. I don't think you need to disconnect the catalytic converter at all. So many people in the world using Seafoam now. Yyu can search on YouTube for "Seafoam" and will see a lot of videos for this seafoam smoke.

Last edited by Ricardo567; 01-26-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
The white smoke coming out is the dissolved carbon burning off, not the Seafoam. In the new or low mileage engine, you won't see that much white smoke. Sea Foam actually helps to clean the catalytic elements, restoring its efficiency, and reducing the "rotten egg" odor you occasionally smell from some catalytic converters.
I have tried this task as video showing and never have had catalytic converter failure so far. I don't think you need to disconnect the catalytic converter at all. So many people in the world using Seafoam now. Yyu can search on YouTube for "Seafoam" and will see a lot of videos for this seafoam smoke.
well at 90,000 mi. I was thinking bout doen this on my 545.. as a routine, preventive mantanece to avoid clogged passages.. Wonder how long it takesfor the passages to start clogging up...and how often seafoam should b applied,,,, to maintain the passages clean...
Old 01-26-2013, 04:02 PM

Hello HF,

Depend on how the car being driven, BMW is designed to perform as almost as race car, It will automatic unclog the passage if we drive aggressive as BMW intended to perform. However, we've like to take care our car and drive at moderate speed, long idle, and stop and go; it will be clogged around 70,000 miles.
To extend the mileage of between cloggings, BMW cars need to drive at 5,000 RPM (highway at 3rd gear up to 60 mph) for 10 minutes once a week; more than 10 minutes probably will over heat the transmission and won't be recommended. Or the other way around is to follow the Youtube procedure above twice a year or 7,000 miles whichever comes first.

Ric

Last edited by Ricardo567; 01-26-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 PM

I don't think driving at high speed to maintain high RPM won't make the valve stem seal failure premature. BMW is designed from Europe and they can run no speed limit at Autobalns, as the fourth longest highway system in the world (7,982 mi). When driving at 120 mile/hr the rpm will boot up to 5,000 roughly.
To me, extended idling periods, driving in the city (stop and go frequently), oil changing interval, and brand of oil contribute to the valve stem seal failure premature.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM

wonder if it could just be a bad stem seal design ....
Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere

Well I am not sure on his hydroloc theory I think he is just lucky. There can be at least one exhaust valve open when the engine is off. The sea foam "liquid" could potentially enter the cylinder through this open valve, which means some sea foam could remain under the compression stroke. This would be bad I would think.

I tried a couple weeks ago to use the Sea Foam spray, not the liquid. The Sea foam spray is intended to be used for many things but specially the air intake. The can comes with about a 1 foot red spray tube.

Thinking I had a sticky exhaust valve I sprayed up inside the "Y" pipe on my 545i. I took a 1/8 ( maybe smaller) drill bit and drilled a hole in the top of the LH pipe as I have a P0492 only( about 2 inches past the "Y"). The hole was just big enough to put about 6 inches of the red spray tube into. I then started the car when cold. In this cold temp the pump runs a good 60 to 90 seconds. While the SAS pump was running I sprayed for about 4 seconds into the pipe. I then quickly shut the car off and let sit overnight. The next day I was ready to go. When I started the car indeed a cloud of white smoke came out. I drove for a couple blocks and the smoke dissipated. This was not carbon though this is sea foam as it is an oil - smokes when hot duh. (Video stated smoke was from carbon).

At least the smoke tells me I have some open passage but not enough to allow the volume of air from the SAS.

I have now done this a total of 3 times with no luck. No other problems have occurred as a result of doing.

To the point of the video I am indeed trying to see if a safe cleaner will dissolve the carbon over time. I don't think it will. I have heard and read that the carbon is very hard and must be removed while the head is off.

I have decided to give up on this SES light and P0492 code. I have 11 months to go for the next emissions test. Its only for initial start and causes zero drive-ability problems. To think anyone would spend 6 to 10K ( 1 or 2 heads) does not make sense. When I am ready to drop that kind of coin, it will be a down payment on my next one.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 AM

Hogie,

The hydroloc theory, to me it is right. Look at the exhaust cycle. If Seafoam being entered when one of exhaust valve opens, then the Seafoam will be pushed out since during the exhaust cycle, the piston is moving up and the valve opens all the time. Only during other cycles, which is the exhaust valve being closed, but not complete seal, Seafoam can get through and stay in the cylinders to be compressed when all vavles are closed. That's why he said we should limit the amount of Seafoam, roughly 1 oz at a time for each treatment. He also said the 6 or 8 cylinders engines rest on about 15 degrees to the left or right so when the all exhaust valves were closed (Seafoam unable to get through quickly like an opened exhaust valve cycle), the Seafoam will penetrate on the top of them and gradually drift down to the sides of the exhaust ports.

In soaking, I had been tried one can without soaking, it would not work until I started to soak overnight or 2 days then drove at third gear for 10 minutes up to 5,000 RPM on the highway, and finally I unclogged the blockages. I didn't know for sure whether I did use up to 2 cans or just soaked and drove hardly that contributes to unclog passage.

In spraying, the amount of Seafoam you put in the passage won't be enough to dissolve the carbon built up. Remember carbon built up in the passage head is tough like a coal because the tremendous heat makes it hard. To break it, we have to be patient and repeat the process until it fixes. Some of members here used Seafoam to pour in the tube, reconnect the tube, started engine for couple minutes then rested it for 20 minutes, and ran on highway; they didn't soak it overnight. They have reported that they unclogged it after using up to 2 cans of Seafoam.

Good luck.

Last edited by Ricardo567; 01-28-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere

Quote:
Hogie,

The hydroloc theory, to me it is right. Look at the exhaust cycle. If Seafoam being entered when one of exhaust valve opens, then the Seafoam will be pushed out since during the exhaust cycle, the piston is moving up and the valve opens all the time. Only during other cycles, which is the exhaust valve being closed, but not complete seal, Seafoam can get through and stay in the cylinders to be compressed when all vavles are closed. That's why he said we should limit the amount of Seafoam, roughly 1 oz at a time for each treatment. He also said the 6 or 8 cylinders engines rest on about 15 degrees to the left or right so when the all exhaust valves were closed (Seafoam unable to get through quickly like an opened exhaust valve cycle), the Seafoam will penetrate on the top of them and gradually drift down to the sides of the exhaust ports.

In soaking, I had been tried one can without soaking, it would not work until I started to soak overnight or 2 days then drove at third gear for 10 minutes up to 5,000 RPM on the highway, and finally I unclogged the blockages. I didn't know for sure whether I did use up to 2 cans or just soaked and drove hardly that contributes to unclog passage.

In spraying, the amount of Seafoam you put in the passage won't be enough to dissolve the carbon built up. Remember carbon built up in the passage head is tough like a coal because the tremendous heat makes it hard. To break it, we have to be patient and repeat the process until it fixes. Some of members here used Seafoam to pour in the tube, reconnect the tube, started engine for couple minutes then rested it for 20 minutes, and ran on highway; they didn't soak it overnight. They have reported that they unclogged it after using up to 2 cans of Seafoam.

Good luck.
Ricardo567

Thank you for the response. As you can see from my prior response I am quite ready to let the code remain to avoid a known costly repair. However after reading your response I am going to give it a couple cans over time. I'll start this weekend.

In the pick this is a 2.8 or 3.0 6 cyl. So easy to use the 1 oz. method in the air hose. The 545i has the two valves in the rear head area and the Y pipe turns down at the front of the engine. The spray sea foam approach I used seems to be able to get the spray in the air passages. Do you think the spray is equal to the liquid as far as penetrating and dissolving?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 AM

AGA's SAS cleaning kit fixed my P0491 error codes!!!

Hey folks,
He's a brief update on the professional cleaning (kit is $249) that was performed on my N62 engine by the pros at AGA:

• Car was finished mid-last week.
  • New tool (worked perfectly) was used to clean bank 1 (P0491).
  • Took them about 5 hours all in.
  • Chemtool and Liqui Moly Jectron was used. http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/p...cument&land=US
  • I was the 9th car this was performed on and one of the most clogged.
  • all codes reset have not come back and monitors are okay now!
I also pored in some Liqui Moly Motor protect (killer stuff) and the leaking value stem seals (white smoke when hot) has mostly gone away at idle.
Any questions, feel free....

Steve

Last edited by svett; 04-16-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeflint View Post
I have a 2005 545i and am getting a P0492 fault. I believe that the pipe is cracked that goes from the secondary injection pump to the valve on either side of the back of the engine. P0492 would lead me to believe the problem is on the drivers side. I can hear the pump come on when the engine is first started and believe that I can hear air leaking from the pipe. Has anyone replaced this pipe and is it possible to do it without removing the intake manifold. It is very tight where the pipes connect to the valves. If the intake needs to be removed, what gaskets will I need and what else should I consider replacing while I am at it.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
I did this on my 528. I imagine the repair is similar. The pump on mine is behind the inner lining of the front passenger side wheel. After removing the cover the pump is easily accessible. I bought a section of comparable diameter hose that was flexibile enough to route and made the connections between the pump and the metal tube it attaches to next to the exhaust manifold. Problem solved.

I just love this logo...
Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Regional Sponsor

Mein Auto: X3
I've done the job by cleaning the ports manually.... Using sea foam will not work. If you guys saw how hard the carbon was, you'd understand why
Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 M3, 2004 545i
Well, that corresponds to my experience of letting Seafoam soak for a week with no effect. So I'll be pulling the heads any day now.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Regional Sponsor

Mein Auto: X3
I never said I pulled the heads off... You can clean the ports by removing the exhaust manifolds and work from underneath. Of course if you want them spotless, then you could remove the heads and send them out to a machine shop and have them chemically cleaned, they'll look brand new.