Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper JCW
The Standard Stereo in a 2011 X5

Just picked up a X5 35i Premium today. I will keep this short and sweet. I am am music fanatic. I have over 1500 CDs, 65,000 songs in iTunes, been to over 100 concerts, 10+ ipods over the years, 3 stereos in my house and iPod docks all over my house too. I am a music perfectionist. Maybe even an audiophile.

The standard stereo in the X5 is just fine. If you listen to mp3s, Sirius or FM radio... well all of those are poor sources to begin with. If you only listen to CDs while the car is parked then maybe, just maybe you won't like the stereo.

Its a good car stereo. Its in your car. Not in your living room.

Last edited by onefish2; 02-10-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
To all those who claim the standard audio is crap, re-read again the above post, an honest opinion from an audiophile.

By the way, who still listens to CDs?

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 02-11-2011, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
To all those who claim the standard audio is crap, re-read again the above post, an honest opinion from an audiophile.

By the way, who still listens to CDs?
problem is...when you turn the base volume up..it gets just "louder" highs and lows are not amplified.

I like to think of the base radio as an AM station....turn it up louder and it still sucks, but just hurts your ears.

That being said, I tried the base/premium and both were terrible.( I have the base on the 50i which seems to be a step up from the 35i??????)

better off getting the base and putting your own in.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:25 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
I do, when I can't get the 8 track to work.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 02-11-2011, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
8 track? wtf is that? I tried googling it, and it comes back telling me their database does not go back beyond the stone age.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 02-11-2011, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 White X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
8 track? wtf is that? I tried googling it, and it comes back telling me their database does not go back beyond the stone age.
Hahaha

I have to disagree with the initial post though, the base audio is crap, one of the worst I've heard especially on a $60k luxury car. I don't know what type of kool-aid you're drinking that makes you think otherwise but I want some! On the plus side I'm quite happy with my premium audio package, not perfect but pretty darn good.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: x5
I agree the base is garbage. I had a 2008 E70 and the base in that one was manageable but I think BMW downgraded the base since.
I have the premium in the new car. It is better but not great definitely no where near my home system (and yes i still listen to cds and vinyl). Lexus and audi have much better system.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetheway View Post
I agree the base is garbage. I had a 2008 E70 and the base in that one was manageable but I think BMW downgraded the base since.
I have the premium in the new car. It is better but not great definitely no where near my home system (and yes i still listen to cds and vinyl). Lexus and audi have much better system.
Agreed, a car will never match a home system though. It's hard to optimally place the speakers with all the seats, curves, and shapes that are in a car without having some of the signals blocked. Plus your speaker size is more limited.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
LOL, maybe the new camaro has that option
Old 02-11-2011, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2 View Post
Just picked up a X5 35i Premium today. I will keep this short and sweet. I am am music fanatic. I have over 1500 CDs, 65,000 songs in iTunes, been to over 100 concerts, 10+ ipods over the years, 3 stereos in my house and iPod docks all over my house too. I am a music perfectionist. Maybe even an audiophile.

The standard stereo in the X5 is just fine. If you listen to mp3s, Sirius or FM radio... well all of those are poor sources to begin with. If you only listen to CDs while the car is parked then maybe, just maybe you won't like the stereo.

I hvae the premium in mine and when compared to the base, sounded a bit crisper to me. Probably all in my head but I like bangin' music in my ride. After 60K+ price tag, another $1,200 didn't really faze me

Current Ride: 2015 X5 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2014 X3 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci
Old 02-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: e92
The base stereo sucks and I'm far from an Audiophile. It sounds like the music is being piped in with 2 cans and a string from my house to my car. Listen to any stereo in any other new car (even Honda/Toyota/Hyundai) they all sound 10x better than x5 crappy base stereo.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Bliss View Post
The base stereo sucks and I'm far from an Audiophile. It sounds like the music is being piped in with 2 cans and a string from my house to my car. Listen to any stereo in any other new car (even Honda/Toyota/Hyundai) they all sound 10x better than x5 crappy base stereo.
lol...

THe premium sound system is "weak sauce" too...look at the specs does not even compare to a base in the range rover.

I went back to some 3 series that had Harmon Kardon speakers as their base WTF happened?

Just sad that when listening to howard stern his voice is not crisp...the base system always make it seem as if I need to turn up the volume but when I do it just hurts my ears.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: Many
So to summarize....

The Base stereo is somewhere between crap and just fine,
while the Premium stereo is somewhere between weak sauce and pretty darn good.

Glad we cleared that up!

PS: Running boards suck on an X5...
Old 02-11-2011, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbz View Post
So to summarize....

Glad we cleared that up!

Wait, why are you leaving out the BMW Individual Sound system (aka: EPS)?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
So to summarize....

Glad we cleared that up!

Running board make it look decent....roof rails suck..
Old 02-12-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
So to summarize....

Glad we cleared that up!

Oh now you had to bring running boards into it...now it's on! LOVE the running boards, they're hot stuff, plus they save your X5 from door dings from cars. They stick out just enough from the door trim so they hit the running boards first (no protection from trucks though). Glad we cleared that up.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterk View Post
Oh now you had to bring running boards into it...now it's on! LOVE the running boards, they're hot stuff, plus they save your X5 from door dings from cars. They stick out just enough from the door trim so they hit the running boards first (no protection from trucks though). Glad we cleared that up.
it never occurred to me that the running boards protect again doors dings. I gotta test this out. Thanks for bringing this up. Learn something new on the forums all the time.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:

I'm curious, what kind of "audiophile" system do you run in your house? B&W? Martin Logan? Any vinyl?

The base stereo, for a 65K vehicle, is barely adequate. The premium 35i stereo is upgraded from the base, but is not the "premium audio". I think there are probably other systems that sound worse - but I'd like to think the system can be improved for the amount of $$ we pay, especially those who are paying the $2K for the "premium" audio.

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Old 02-12-2011, 01:29 PM

my kids voices is cover also everything always, so i am ok with the base stereo. as of the running board they love it! for me they look good on the X's. that's the reason i didn't get the M sport because of the kid.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i 2011 (dec build)
my previous X5 09 has standard sound and the sound is crap. go out in the car leave the stereo, shut the door and the sound is garbage. embarrassing! now do this on premium. the sound still solid.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Got X5 y'day, not impressed with base sound. Feels like Honda accord.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i 2011 (dec build)
lack of insulation on the base sound...
Old 02-15-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:

There's no doubt you really enjoy listening to music; but with all the music, ipods, and other stuff you have, I don't think you are actually listening TO the music. As a sound engineer, I can guarantee you that the standard sound system is not just fine and far from perfect. It really is horrible to be honest...especially for their top of the line suv. The mids seem to be absent, the bass is muddy, and the high are thin. There is no clarity or balance whatsoever, and the adjusting the eq is a joke. The base audio in my sister's entry level Lexus IS is far better.
I'm not pulling my hair out, because I don't buy cars for their audio; but it kinda sucks that for all the thought they put into the idrive, they fell short by putting in the cheapest speakers they could find.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper JCW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy08awd View Post
There's no doubt you really enjoy listening to music; but with all the music, ipods, and other stuff you have, I don't think you are actually listening TO the music. As a sound engineer, I can guarantee you that the standard sound system is not just fine and far from perfect. It really is horrible to be honest...especially for their top of the line suv. The mids seem to be absent, the bass is muddy, and the high are thin. There is no clarity or balance whatsoever, and the adjusting the eq is a joke. The base audio in my sister's entry level Lexus IS is far better.
I'm not pulling my hair out, because I don't buy cars for their audio; but it kinda sucks that for all the thought they put into the idrive, they fell short by putting in the cheapest speakers they could find.
One more time. I am a big music fan and listener. The base stereo sounds fine for me. Just wanted this post to exist on this forum to state that its not necessary to spend another $1200 for the premium system.

To each their own. What sounds bad to the rest of you sounds fine to me. Not great. Not wonderful but its OK for what it is.

And the point of listing the mp3s, CDs, iPods, home stereos and concerts was to demonstrate that I am constantly listening to music in my house, in my car, with headphones or at concerts. I know what sounds good to me. I am a very critical listener.

Let this post and it comments stand so that others considering the X5 and the base stereo/premium stereo will be able to make an educated decision based on these opinions.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:10 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
There's a lot to be said for enjoying what you have.

My first audio setup was circa 1970: a "Hi Fi" console record player (33, 45 and 78), to which I attached a Radio Shack cassette player using an RCA-out jack and alligator clips. I thought it was awesome - partly because it had a tube amp, but mostly because it was "mine" and I could control the source material.

My first personal stereo was a Sony Walkman - anyone else old enough to remember those? The sounds it made were equally awesome to my teenage ears.

Though I never really became an audophile, I did eventually evolve to McIntosh electronics (no, this McIntosh is not made by Apple), a Linn Sondek with an Itok, Snells and other semi-serious toys. I snapped up Teldec, half speed mastered and direct-to-disc recordings and even had a DBX decoder (props to anyone who remembers those, and or who has Jazz at the Pawnshop in their vinyl collection). Truth be told, it all got to be pretty silly after a while.

Somehow, the ridiculously expensive virgin vinyl Teldec recordings never gave me as much joy as those first few cassettes I bought in Middle School - In A Gadda Da Vida and Live at Big Pink, in mono, with very limited dynamic range and tons of tape hiss. Which made me realize that at the end of the day, having source material that excites me is a lot more important than the analog or digital system it's played through.

Is the Premium Sound better than the base stereo? You betcha. Is it perfect? Hell no. Was it worth the extra money? Yes. But would I hate driving my X5 or M3 without it? Nope. I got the Roundels for their driving prowess, not for their audio.

As always, YMMV.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic