Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: 03 745li and some more ca
03 745li transmission issues

I have an 03 745li. I dont know much about the suspension but i have heard they have a lot of problems. When i am driving and say i am coming down a hill and take my foot off the accelerator and try to slow down, the car suddenly changes gear, will i say from gear 3 to gear 1, like a jump in the transmission. It acts a little hesitant when i try to pick up speed again before finally acting normal. Some other times when i try to pick back up speed, it feels like someone hit me from the back. I have read on here that it could be the guibo but not sure. If anyone can shed some light on this, i will appreciate it.

Also when i start car in the morning and immediately try to go into reverse, it goes back to neutral and gives transmission error msg and i will wait maybe 50secs-1min and try again and it works fine. what could be causing this?

I love the car, just hate these transmission issues.
Ads by Google
Old 03-06-2011, 04:42 PM

anybody?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M5
I have similar downshift issues, though I do not have reverse problems (yet). I bought my '03 (June manufacture date) 745Li at the end of December and paid the local BMW stealership to reprogram my car to the most current version of whatever (still learning the jargon). The downshift issue from 1 to 2 went away, but I still have a downshift jolt at other speeds and the same downshift issue when slowing. I also had the guibo joint replaced after the reprogramming and the issues remain. I really think it's a programming issue, though I'm not sure. There are posts here that recommend changing the "lifetime" tranny fluid which is a possible next step for me. I'm having trouble finding a place in Connecticut other than a stealership that will perform the service. There was a recent post (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=524510) that talks about a possible software fix/reset. I've ordered the cable on Ebay and tried downloading the software (ran into issues), but will try again when the cable arrives. Hopefully this will fix it. If I can solve the Logic 7 amp issues (fix or replace) and cure the downshift issue, I'll be in heaven. Hope this helps!

Last edited by CT BMW Boy; 03-06-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 750Li
I have an 03 745Li, and i had some tranny issues the last few weeks. Specifically first gear holding way too long (like up to 4000 rpm while driving slowly in a parkade, and then slamming into second gear. took to dealer, and I was down 2 litres of fluid! Supposed to be a sealed unit, but SA said once a leak developed they then recommend replacing fluid at some point. Anyways, topping up the fluid has brought the tranny back to working as good as new. Dealer thinks tranny may be on last legs, and a new one (rebuilt) installed was quoted as $10,200.00 (Yikes) and that's in canadian dollars. I'd certainly check your fluid levels before anything else.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 325,2000 x5,2004 745
i had same problem. replace guibo same problem. dealer told me needs new trany im mecanic so on mine scaner i reset adaptation for gearbox shifts perfecto
Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 PM

where do i get this scanner from? because i have tried the normal reset process where you step on the pedal for about 1min. please let me know where to get scanner from or is that something i can have the dealer do? and about how much will i be looking at? i hear a very slight clunk noise when i switch gears so i am also guessing its about time to replace the guibo also
Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 730D
The pedal reset did not help me as well , you can read about it in this tread .
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=524510
Old 03-09-2011, 10:52 PM

thanks for this info. i am not too savvy with stuff like this. is this fairly easy to do? or is it something i can have the dealer handle? i am scared to mess something up
Old 03-09-2011, 11:19 PM

It's easy to do the reset , and there is no danger to mess it up vith DIS because this is a diagnostic tool.
It can be a bit tricky to install the software , but with some patience the guides on Bimmerforums would guide you throu.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:20 PM

so what other tool do i need besides the cable you have shown on ebay?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:54 PM

Laptop and software ,
GT1-v44 base and GT1-v44 Program
ftp://94.212.182.18/BMW-GT1-DIS/

And this guide
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1297683
Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 745LI
I have another question about my 2003 BMW 745LI, I recently got my mechatronics sleeve replaced along with the pan, bottom gasket and filter. I bought three quarts of tranny oil from BMW my self and brought it to the mechanic. I got a transmission fail safe mode error and noticed there was a leak this is what triggered the transmission service. The car had the transmission fail safe error however was shifting fine before the service.

I want to emphasize that before the car went into the shop it would shift a little hard into first every once and a while. All other gears shifted smooth and perfectly. I picked the car up yesterday from the transmission service and I noticed a distinct difference immediately. The car is shifting hard into every gear, as if it was a manual transmission. I have noticed that the RPM are also fluttering when coasting. It shift really hard coming to a stop from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to second. If stopping abruptly it slams into first gear from 3rd, it feels like as if I was getting rear ended. Right before I got home coming out of a complete stop it reved up and then slammed into first gear. I don't understand how the car drove for the most part perfectly before the service and now so terrible after the service. Please help