Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
What is the right brand of FSU (aka FSR) final stage resistor/unit to buy for the E39

PICTURES EXPECTED!
[The intent is to refer others to this thread when they ask what FSR to buy!]

There is no proof ... but anecdotal evidence abounds of people purchasing supposedly "OEM" Final Stage Units (aka Final Stage Resistors) on Ebay and elsewhere that were either dead on arrival or didn't last more than a year.
- failed blower resistor (final stage resistor) not really dead

Apparently there are many brands out there:
Recommended: (I think)
- Sitronic/Bosch

Not recommended: (I think)
- GKR
- Behr
- Valeo,
- Siemens

Certainly not recommended: (I think)
- Meyle
- Hella
- Uro
- Denso
- Power Pro

As for recommended (and not recommended) brands, the threads are all over the place ... so ... this new thread is merely an attempt to consolidate people's FSR experiences with the right and wrong FSUs to purchase.
- FAN CONTROL GOES HAYWIRE: poorly ventilated final stage resistor/final stage unit (FSR/FSU) modules that are practically sure to go haywire due to poor heat-sink design (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) ... Autopsy (1) (2) often causing the battery to drain overnight (1) (2) (3) & how to isolate and replace the blower motor (1) (2) (3)

PLEASE post a picture of your FSU if you're going to post to this thread as a big part of the story is the branding of the FSU!

Bearing in mind most FSRs have three or four brandings, and that the GKR FSR (of whatever branding) is known to be lousy ... I ask for the record ...

What is the right brand of FSU to buy for the E39?

Advertisement
Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
From my experience, the FSU must have 33 spines on the heat sink, and be potted with silicone, rather than epoxy.

I don't think that one should reject any German manufacturer out of hand.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
I think your info is a bit off here as well. I have personally sold tens of dozens of Behr brand FSUs with a warranty over the years and to my knowledge never have had to help anyone process a warranty claim. Can't think of a single one. The parts are affordable and everyone I have been selling them to has had good luck replacing the faulty factory unit with the Behr part.
http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/pa...06%20923%20204

I find it interesting you list Hella at the "do not touch" level as well. Hella and Behr are partners, look into Hella service parts. Hella electronics are some of the finest in the world, as evidenced by the xenon ballasts in our e39s which are a decade old and still working strong for most of us.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@EAC View Post
sold tens of dozens of Behr brand FSUs ... Hella and Behr are partners
Hi Mark (and anyone else with info),

All the information in the OP comes from the referenced thread.

One huuuuge problem is the rebranding that goes on with the FSU is horridly confusing, at best.

Who actually MAKES the Behr/Hella-branded FSUs anyway?
Old 03-25-2011, 12:12 AM

Yet another 'apparent' DOA FSU is in today's thread:
- e39 heater blower not working !!! NOT THE FSU..WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE???

I'll try to get the OP to snap a picture of the label for us to help us better determine which FSUs are the right and wrong ones to get.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
why uro is not recommended?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugratu View Post
why uro is not recommended?
Everything is anecdotal from the information in the reference threads.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Officially Bimmerfested

Mein Auto: '01 530i
Did some search and found out that Sitronic is a German company, while Valeo is French. They both make electronic car parts. Sitronic specializes in the cars' electronics and sensors, including climate control systems. In fact, the FSU is featured in one of their pictures. They may be suppliers of OEM parts to BMW since they look like big, global, well-established companies. I can't find anything on GKR. I noticed on your first 2 pictures that the Valeo numbers do not match, nor the BMW numbers on the FSU's - GKR vs Sitronic. My numbers all match with MatWiz's FSU, except for the 03 10, which may be date of manufacture.

Update: Behr is also German and may also be making OEM parts for the car companies...from Stuttgart mind you!

My only consolation is this forum telling me that I'm not alone

Pictured above: Smart Car circa 1955.
'01 530i, ///M Sports Package, Xenon lights, Steptronic A/T, icelinkPlus iPod module
'04 328i, Sports Package, Xenon lights, Dice iPod module

Last edited by BeemVerg; 05-05-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Officially Bimmerfested

Oops, further research makes me think that Sitronic may be subcontracting for both Behr, Bosch, and makes parts for quite a few car companies, EXCEPT BMW, but including Valeo !

http://www.sitronic.com/index.php?id=107&L=1

Now these guys think that this part works better than the one for an E46:
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=390683

Looks like we all have the same problem !!! Same one for E39 and E46 (that's why FCP Groton listed it as such), but different part numbers!

Meanwhile, after Mark@EACeuroparts told me that warranty is for 12 months, their sales dept. is now telling me it's past warranty!

'01 530i, ///M Sports Package, Xenon lights, Steptronic A/T, icelinkPlus iPod module

Last edited by BeemVerg; 05-05-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemVerg View Post
Did some search and found out that Sitronic is a German company, while Valeo is French. They both make electronic car parts. Sitronic specializes in the cars' electronics and sensors, including climate control systems. In fact, the FSU is featured in one of their pictures. They may be suppliers of OEM parts to BMW since they look like big, global, well-established companies. I can't find anything on GKR. I noticed on your first 2 pictures that the Valeo numbers do not match, nor the BMW numbers on the FSU's - GKR vs Sitronic. My numbers all match with MatWiz's FSU, except for the 03 10, which may be date of manufacture.

Update: Behr is also German and may also be making OEM parts for the car companies...from Stuttgart mind you!

My only consolation is this forum telling me that I'm not alone
GKR Co. Ltd., is based out of Gyungbuk, KOREA.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Officially Bimmerfested

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
PICTURES EXPECTED!
[The intent is to refer others to this thread when they ask what FSR to buy!]

There is no proof ... but anecdotal evidence abounds of people purchasing supposedly "OEM" Final Stage Units (aka Final Stage Resistors) on Ebay and elsewhere that were either dead on arrival or didn't last more than a year.
- failed blower resistor (final stage resistor) not really dead

Apparently there are many brands out there:
Recommended: (I think)
- Sitronic/Bosch

Not recommended: (I think)
- GKR
- Behr
- Valeo,
- Siemens

Certainly not recommended: (I think)
- Meyle
- Hella
- Uro
- Denso
- Power Pro

As for recommended (and not recommended) brands, the threads are all over the place ... so ... this new thread is merely an attempt to consolidate people's FSR experiences with the right and wrong FSUs to purchase.
- FAN CONTROL GOES HAYWIRE: poorly ventilated final stage resistor/final stage unit (FSR/FSU) modules that are practically sure to go haywire due to poor heat-sink design (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) ... Autopsy (1) (2) often causing the battery to drain overnight (1) (2) (3) & how to isolate and replace the blower motor (1) (2) (3)

PLEASE post a picture of your FSU if you're going to post to this thread as a big part of the story is the branding of the FSU!

Bearing in mind most FSRs have three or four brandings, and that the GKR FSR (of whatever branding) is known to be lousy ... I ask for the record ...

What is the right brand of FSU to buy for the E39?
How about ACM (?) ? I see this a lot being sold as OEM.

This is a Sitronic branded one, like I had, but ad says it is by Valeo. I called a dealer and they sell Valeo, which could be this OEM/Sitronic/Valeo part.
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartD...d=64116923204G

Also, it looks like Behr/Hella FSU's are now Made in China.

Last edited by BeemVerg; 05-13-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 540iA Sport
I just had a Sitronic blow out on my 2001 525iA. I got a replacement Behr unit from AutohausAZ and it worked fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2011-06-07 at 16.46.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	280983  
Old 06-07-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msportnate View Post
I just had a Sitronic blow out on my 2001 525iA. I got a replacement Behr unit from AutohausAZ and it worked fine.
Thanks for posting that picture of the bad FSU for our anecdotal information.

The bad FSU appears to be a Sitronic/Valeo/BMW made in Germany FSU.

Was the new Behr similarly tri-branded?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo on 2011-06-07 at 16.46.jpg
Views:	6681
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	281006  
Old 07-12-2011, 02:24 PM
BMW CCA 415154

Mein Auto: 98 540iA (10/97 Build)
My 13 month old FSU died on Sunday, couldn't have happened at a worse time. The last few days have been the hottest so far this summer here. Attached is a photo of it. I bought it from Pelican and it's warrantied for 12 months. I called them yesterday and they offered to take it back and give me a store credit ~ $63. That's fine with me, as I'm sure I'll need to buy other parts down the road. Went to the dealer yesterday and bought the OEM FSU for $106 incl tax. It looks just like the photo in the first posting in this thread. Hopefully this one will last longer!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-07-12_13-00-12_545.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	284834  
Old 07-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Bimmerholic

Mein Auto: 2001 530 SP/PP/CWP/Slush
I just got mine from Autohaus. Mine says "Behr" and "Hella", but also "Made in China", not Germany. Maybe they are outsourcing.

We'll see if it works tomorrow.

2001 530 Steel Blue Metallic, purchased Dec 03
SP/PP/CWP/Slushbox (I know I know)

OEM M5 bumper, 40% Huper Optik ceramic tint, Dice Silverline Pro iPod adapter, 540SP radial spokes, Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads
"Mods": driveshaft, cooling system, Vanos, CCV, PSR, VCG, FSU, spark plugs, buncha belts-n-hoses, & other things I'd just as soon forget

BMW CCA member for 12 years
Old 07-12-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh P. View Post
Mine says "Behr" and "Hella", but also "Made in China"
Picture?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:51 AM
Bimmerholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Picture?

OEM M5 bumper, 40% Huper Optik ceramic tint, Dice Silverline Pro iPod adapter, 540SP radial spokes, Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads
"Mods": driveshaft, cooling system, Vanos, CCV, PSR, VCG, FSU, spark plugs, buncha belts-n-hoses, & other things I'd just as soon forget

Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 AM

Great picture! Thanks. See below. (I wish EVERYONE would supply a pic so we can get to the bottom of this).

It's hard to tell 'who' actually 'manufactures' these FSRs since they're all rebranded multiple times.

For example, my (failed) FSR was 'really' made by GKR (BMW & Valeo were also on the label; but it was 'made' by GKR):

Other failed FSRs, also actually made by "GKR", have wholly different rebrandings, such as GKR & Siemens:

To add exasperation to confusion, some (failed GKR FSUs) even have up to FOUR rebranded names, such as GKR, BMW, Behr, & Denso:

Interestingly, anecdotally anyway, the German-made Behr Hella FSRs don't seem to look at all like the Chinese-made Behr Hella FSRs:
And, the Chinese-made Behr Hella FSRs all (anecdotally) seem to have really lousy quality labeling (and even bent tines) in comparison to the German-made Behr Hella shown above:

But still, it's hard to tell WHAT COMPANY actually manufacturers these Chinese-made FSRs.

Besides the label (which we already know we can't trust), is there any stamping on the plastic that confirms the identity of the company that actually manufactured your Chinese FSR?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	behr_china_fsu_bmw_fsr.JPG
Views:	6436
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	284911  

Last edited by bluebee; 07-13-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
so this China Autohaus is no good ? I got the same but didnt install it so maybe its time to send it back

Last edited by champaign777; 07-12-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Bimmerholic

Ok, so here is one main point: According to the attached page at AutohausAZ, there have been multiple versions of this resistor. The older ones (which perhaps are still being sold) had just 12 rods, while the newer ones like mine (and Starless's) have 50+. Yes, one of my rods was slightly bent, I just bent it back, no big deal.

If you are using one of the units with fewer rods, that seems to mean (while it may be "new") it's been superseded by the new design.

Now, looking at the photos, mine looks like Starless's, except for the plastic housing at the top. It's also branded the same way. It just looks like they moved manufacturing to China to save a few cents of aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FSU.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	284949  

Old 07-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Bimmerholic

FYI it had zero markings on it whatsover, except for the label. I did not peel off the label to see if anything was stamped into the plastic underneath.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh P. View Post
FYI it had zero markings on it whatsoever
Drat. It would have been nice to ascertain the actual manufacturer.

Unfortunately, a few years ago, when I put mine in (see photo below), I didn't know enough to look for this information myself.

Note the number of tines is way less than 50!

Note: It was such a pain to put in (took me the entire superbowl!) that I don't want to remove it just to check out who made it!

EDIT: In post #38 below, we (finally, after all these years) find that my AutoHauz FSU is labeled "ACM", made in Germany.

Last edited by bluebee; 08-19-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Added a reference to the original FSU manufacturer.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 530i E39
I went into the shopping center for about twenty minutes, upon returning to my car I noticed fog on the inside windshield, once I opened the door I heard the blower motor going. I woke up the next morning and my battery was completely dead. I didn't know it until today but I have had FSU issues since last summer. The a/c would just cut off and no matter the setting it wouldn't come back on until it wanted to, I never thought to look it up as the a/c would always start to blow again before the end of my trip. Know on to the question, Have we gathered more info on the best FSU to purchase someone point me in the right direction or should I just go to my dealer?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:42 AM
Bimmerholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iman View Post
I went into the shopping center for about twenty minutes, upon returning to my car I noticed fog on the inside windshield, once I opened the door I heard the blower motor going. I woke up the next morning and my battery was completely dead. I didn't know it until today but I have had FSU issues since last summer. The a/c would just cut off and no matter the setting it wouldn't come back on until it wanted to, I never thought to look it up as the a/c would always start to blow again before the end of my trip. Know on to the question, Have we gathered more info on the best FSU to purchase someone point me in the right direction or should I just go to my dealer?
A Behr FSU from Autohaus or another supplier is $52. Putting aside where Behr makes their FSU, I'm pretty sure the replacement part that the stealer sells is over $100...someone can look it up, or I can check, I'll be at the stealer tomorrow.

Unless BMW has switched to Bosch for the replacement part for some reason, then Behr is/should be sufficient. If my new one fails, I guess I will replace it with whatever the stealer sells.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
came back from chicago area dealer looking at part it matched first post with siltronic and valeo marked on it. price was $115 so still looking better price. I've had car since new (2000 model year 67k miles)and under warrantee had the fsu replaced but never saw part. 2nd part is starting to act up on occasion some weeks no problems

Last edited by 528goes; 11-15-2011 at 08:57 PM.