Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: Ny
2001 740il radio and navigation codes

Does anyone know where i can get the codes for my radio and navigation systems for the 2001 740il. Bmw has asked for $130 per code, can u believe this?

Thanks, rosannann
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 740iS, 2003 540iS
Which codes are you talking about? I don't believe there are codes for a radio from a 2001 7 with Nav.

Are you talking about the Nav disc with map information?

2000 740iS. MKIV, 16x9, DDEs controlled by Euro fog light switch, reversed steptronic +/- pattern, paddle shifters, clear corners, Basslink, iPod video with stereo audio, TV tuner, gauge rings, ///M pedals, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, quad brake lights, Dinan engine & tranny software, windows/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540iS. MKIV, 16x9, PDC, CWP, TV tuner, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, paddle shifters, windows/sunroof close via remote, iPod video & audio.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: Ny
I was told by the mechanic that i need to get the code for the radio in order for him to reboot it. The last place that worked on the car had to restart the battery and since then the radio. Only stays on for minutes at a time. When i spoke with bmw they said that there ws a code but the charge is $130to give me this code. Any ideas on how i can get the code?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740il
Did you find the codes?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 750iL
The Mk 3 nav has a key code that the Mk1 and Mk 2 didn't. If this is what is required, consider putting the cash towards upgrading to a Mk4 nav which is a simple plug n play, no key code, and allows the most recent v31 software. With the Mk3 nav, you also have to ensure the indicator light on the unit is off before disconnecting the battery...
Old 10-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Mr_Bimmer

Send a message via AIM to BimmerBro Send a message via Yahoo to BimmerBro
Mein Auto: 2001 Bmw 740i
Sounds like exactly what I'm experiencing. I had to disconnect the battery for some servicing and my radio only stays on for minutes at a time. Is this due to some programming? I have a 2001 E38 but I think I have the Mk 3 where the LCD flips down to reveal the cassette drive. Should mine be doing this too?

What do you mean with the indicator on the unit being off before disconnecting the battery? I'm sure I didn't check this. I thinking that my Navigation unit is bad. Maybe it's just that I disconnected the battery and don't know how to reboot?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 750iL
When you unlock the car or open the boot or a door, the car wakes up including the nav, which has a red tell-tale to show its active. If you leave the boot lid open and close the latch with the key to simulate a closed lid, the nav light will go out after about 2 minutes. Wait till this happenss with the Mk3 unit
Old 10-21-2012, 11:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
I have a 2001 740i with similar issues. The radio works, then the Nav screen goes to a thin "static" line (nothing else) and the radio goes off. The radio will come on if I push the on/off button twice, but will stay on for only 2 mins or so.

I have found that I can pull the fuse on the right-hand side of the trunk (which is not burned out) and replace it, and the whole system will work normally. But, only for a few days.

I would love to know what is going on with this. I don't think the main components are broken, because as I said, they work normally upon the pull/replace routine with the fuse.

Any thoughts out there?