Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Loud Squealing Noise - UPDATE

My car has less than 6k mi on it and I have noticed on several occasions that when I cold start my car, I hear a loud squealing/screeching noise that sounds a lot like a fan belt slipping. I first heard the noise while creeping along in slow moving traffic, but I was in denial at that point that the hideous noise I was hearing was actually coming from my car. Now after hearing it several times at start up to include this past Sunday, I can say with confidence this despicable noise is in fact emanating from my car.

I plan to take it in to the dealer, but I was curious if any of my fellow "d" owners has encountered a similar issue.

Last edited by cssnms; 06-02-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-26-2011, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, WRX, 325is, Eurovan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
My car has less than 6k mi on it and I have noticed on several occasions that when I cold start my car, I hear a loud squealing/screeching noise that sounds a lot like a fan belt slipping. I first heard the noise while creeping along in slow moving traffic, but I was in denial at that point that the hideous noise I was hearing was actually coming from my car. Now after hearing it several times at start up to include this past Sunday, I can say with confidence this despicable noise is in fact emanating from my car.

I plan to take it in to the dealer, but I was curious if any of my fellow "d" owners has encountered a similar issue.
That's a timely question for me, as just yesterday I was backing out of my garage and heard the distinct screech of, I'm assuming, a slipping belt. It only lasted for a second. I had not driven the car for about a week (just had knee/ACL surgery ) so I rationalized it must have been an isolated issue. I've had the car for 1 yr + 2 days (13k miles) and that was the first squeal I've heard that wasn't from the tires...

If you take it in, let me know if they find anything unusual.

-Graham

2012 328xiT
M-Sport/Manual/iDrive-free
Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 35i
Had the same issue on my 2011 335d. Mine occurred if the car sat out in the sun for a period of time and squealed when the A/C kicked in after start-up.
Took it to the dealer and they cleaned "contamination" (oil, grease, dirt) from the belt and re-adjusted the tension. Fixed the problem right away. NO CHARGE!!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: 11 335d,08 K12GT,10 S1000
15k plus miles on my 2011 D with no squeals other than from tires
08 WR250R
Old 04-27-2011, 05:15 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Definitely a squeeling fan belt, unless you have a pig farm near you?

Very annoying and usually resolved by a simple tightening of a loose belt.

However, it could also potentially indicate a binding bearing on an idler pulley or A/C compressor wheel.

Sometimes it can occur when the belt is wet or there is high humidity.

Very easy to fix if it is just a loose belt however.

I have noticed that my A/C compressor makes a bit of noise at idle when I first start up with the A/C on. It is good practice to turn your A/C off when you shutdown and then turn it back on after you start of your engine each time to avoid that additional load on the starting motor.

By the way, I have noticed with my new Garmin ECOroute HD device my engine load changes quite a bit when at idle in nuetral vs when in drive, and now with the A/C compressor running it increases even more. It is definitely measurable and noticeable, which means you could impact your fuel economy by changing up a few driving habits.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)

Last edited by Flyingman; 04-27-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
By the way, I have noticed with my new Garmin ECOroute HD device my engine load changes quite a bit when at idle in nuetral vs when in drive, and now with the A/C compressor running it increases even more. It is definitely measurable and noticeable, which means you could impact your fuel economy by changing up a few driving habits.
Since the time you mentioned I am making it habit to shift to neutral if I feel stop is >10 secs. In few days I will know how much mileage difference I will see. From my engineering education I feel there is no harm in shifting to neutral so if it helps even a bit I dont mind doing it.

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod

Old 04-28-2011, 03:19 AM
hang up and drive!

bimmerdiesel,

The lights here in South Florida are timed rather long, so if you catch a red you could be there for a good 2-3 minutes waiting to get your green again.

I'll time a few, and shoot some of the load and air flow data in Nuetral vs idle in drive, plus with and w/o A/C.

I'm sure this is one of the reasons that manual trannys always show lower mpg than automatics, usually by at least one mpg less.

Just remember you have to have foot on the brake to switch back into drive, which has caught me off gaurd a few times.

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 05-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
Very annoying and usually resolved by a simple tightening of a loose belt.
Does BMW still use adjustable V belts? I thought almost every manufacturer had switched to serpentine belts with non-adjustable belt tensioners, e.g., no such thing any more as "tightening a loose belt."
Old 05-21-2011, 09:39 AM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Does BMW still use adjustable V belts? I thought almost every manufacturer had switched to serpentine belts with non-adjustable belt tensioners, e.g., no such thing any more as "tightening a loose belt."
Hmmm, don't know for sure, but it would seem logical that you can still loosen or tighten the serpintine belt to put it on and off and adjust tension. The idler usually is spring loaded to adjust itself to a point, but if making noise it is either loose of you have some other mechanical problem like a bad a/c compressor or bearing on a pump, etc...

You could also stop at any auto shop and buy a can of fan belt dresser spray. Just spray it on while running and it will eliminate some of the slipperyness.

I'd expect the dealer mechanic would have a specific procedure and specifications for tightness to verify as well.

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 05-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 335D aka '3D'
Also have the intermittent 1-2 sec belt squeal on start up - car is at the dealer today for 13K service, will hopefully be resolved.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Alien View Post
Also have the intermittent 1-2 sec belt squeal on start up - car is at the dealer today for 13K service, will hopefully be resolved.
Let me know what they say about the squeal. Thanks
Old 05-03-2011, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, 540i, M Roadster
My d has been quiet so far, but I was having annoying belt squeal on my M Roadster. Ordered the parts, and this past weekend decided to install new belts and idler pulleys. Problem cured - the engine is purring now! Even though the tensioners keep the belts tight, when they wear, the rubber seems to get polished (possibly by contamination?) and become noisy. BTW all the bearings in the idlers were somewhat loose and noisy too. The car has 44k miles and after changing everything it felt like it had a new engine!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Only happened once with me, backing out of driveway. 9k miles.

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 S4
I heard the same noise in similar situations(backing up after cold start). It happened 3-4 times in 9K miles. I had it checked last month during 1st oil change and dealer said everything looks good. I could live with it for few times a year but I do agree that it is an embarrassing noise coming from a 50K car.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
I've had the belt squeal occur a few times over the last several months, but just within the last two or three weeks, it occurs several times per week. I need to take the car to the dealer and have it looked at.

I have had the car for over a year and have 21K miles on it.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: i30
Quote:

Is that screeching noise from your tires or any other part of the vehicle? If its fan belt issue, then certainly it must be loosening of the belt or due to dirt or less grease. I don't think so it will cost much if its taken to a dealer.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee View Post
Is that screeching noise from your tires or any other part of the vehicle? If its fan belt issue, then certainly it must be loosening of the belt or due to dirt or less grease. I don't think so it will cost much if its taken to a dealer.
If loosening then why would it cost anything? I'd thought premature loosening of things would be covered by the warranty.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 335D aka '3D'
Dealer could not reproduce, of course!;-) Recommended overnight stay to try replicate, but it happens very intermittently that I dont think it will be worth it. More of an embarrassment really on a ~$50K newish vehicle. Will see if it gets any worse over time.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
I never have looked at the belt on this car. But just figured it is like most fords I have dealt with. On those you have one belt and an auto adjuster that has a pulley for lack of a better description. I actually never have had one of those go bad. Just every 100-150k miles I have to replace the belt. My mid 90s galant uses v belts and my old 2000 accord did as well, I was surprised to see that.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:36 PM

This has happened to me twice over the past few weeks. It is the first time I accelerate above 5-10 mph when the car has not been running and the a/c is on. I'm doing an oil change this weekend (third time @19,500 miles, doing every other myself during the 'free' period) and will take a good look. If it happns more frequently I will take it in.
Mine #2: 2012 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 V6 'Ecoboost' twin turbo boat puller dump runner
Sold: 2006 330i Silver/Black MT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW
Old 05-27-2011, 04:35 AM

My 2011 with 5500 miles has made the noise 5 or 6 times in the last 6-8 weeks. I've been able to narrow it down to only happening when it's at least 83 degrees (ambient air temp) and the car has been driven somewhere / sit for at least 30 mins before re-starting. I'll probably wait until it's consistently warm outside before taking it to the dealer.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: k100rs
there are squeals, then there are screeches. Squeals can be loose belts. Screaches presage failing pulleys. Failing pulleys are the bane of engines with serpentine belts, and quite the profit generator for the shops! If there is no automatic tensioner, then it is quite important to know the proper tension, and to have a gauge to then properly set the tension, otherwise the bearings fail prematurely.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:02 AM

Squeal still going STRONG. I have linked it to my AC. As soon as I shut the AC off it stops. It typically only happens at start-up, but there were those few times much to my chagrin while I was sitting in traffic and it started.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Squeal still going STRONG. I have linked it to my AC. As soon as I shut the AC off it stops. It typically only happens at start-up, but there were those few times much to my chagrin while I was sitting in traffic and it started.
That makes sense. The serpentine belt has an automatic tensioner but it doesn't drive the A/C compressor. The A/C has its own belt and as far as I can tell has to be manually tensioned.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 bmw 335d
I had this belt noise (occasionally) for over a year (2011 335d, 31 K miles). The noise was usually present when the car set a whole day in the sun, and lasted for ~ 10 sec after the A/C was turned on. I took the car to the dealer (late) last year - they could not duplicate the problem.
I took it again a couple of weeks ago when it was really hot here, and the dealer replaced the tensioner of the main serpentine belt Why??? The symptoms returned after few days and I took the car back to the dealer (third time)
Apparently, the A/C system has a separate, short belt between the c'shaft and the A/C compressor pulley that apparently has no adjustment and a so called "flexi-belt" (stretchable belt) has to be used. (I saw pictures of our engine showing a separate belt for the A/C compressor, but it's hard to say if there is a provision for the belt tensioning or not)
My car had a regular belt installed (why??). Dealer replaced the belt (w/ a flexibelt), and so far so good - but it's only few days since I have the car back and it's not that hot in Chicago right now.
I will keep you guys posted.