Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 05-06-2011, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 528E
Problem With Fuel Pump?

I was driving my 1988 528E on the freeway going around 60MPH yesterday when all of the sudden the car started to lose power. I let my foot off the gas and pressed it again and the problem stopped for about 1/2 mile. Same thing happened again accept when I left off the gas and pressed it again, I gas pedel felt REALLY lose, went to the floor with almost no resistence. The car then died and it took a good couple of tries to get it started.
When I did get it started i drove it around a parking lot for a little bit and it seemed alright, a little rough but w/e, untill I accellerated to 15-20MPH, the car showed the same problems as before and died again.

I suspect it may be the fuel pump, but I wanted to get some of your oppinions on this before I invest the $200 in the part.

Also I cleaned my throttle body about 2 weeks ago and it worked fine until yesterday,
Could this be the problem?

Any help on this subject would be greatly appriciated by me, and my wallet.
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2011, 04:14 AM
classic

Mein Auto: 1985 735i bmw
fuel pump

check ebay i have a 1985 735 pretty sure we have the same pump but it is 46 bucks, also might be nrrd tune up.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Your main fuel pump is dead. it is located under the right rear tire area (above the half-shaft, next to the differential). The car dying down slowly is the fuel pressure going down as the in-tank transfer pump cannot supply the pressure. Good time to change the fuel filter and hoses in the area.