Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Infamous 335i Brake Squeak/Squeal

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum. I drive a 2008 335i sedan, and love everything about it. Except one thing: the brake squeaking. I am sure many of you are familiar with this problem that plagues most of 335s on the road (well at least 2007-2008 for what I know). If you don't...well when I accelerate from 0-20mph the brakes squeal. When I pull into parking lots, the car squeaks the whole time, which causes people to turn heads, but not the way I want.

From what I understand, the design of the wheels causes the sensor to somehow scrape along something and create the noise (correct me if I am wrong). I am starting college this fall, and would like the noise to be eliminated, if not reduced by then. I'm sure the ladies won't enjoy the ear piercing squeal when I pull into the parking garage.

So onto my question...have any of you been able to stop this problem? I am aware that squeaking happens in almost every braking system, but I know its not as often or bad as the 335i brake squeal. If so, what do I need to do to eliminate the problem. BMW has replaced the brake pads twice, which only stop the noise for about 6 months. Otherwise they tell me to slam on the brakes to clear the break dust, which only temporarily fixes it. Any help is appreciated. Sorry for the long post!

Gimlet
Ads by Google
Old 06-17-2011, 11:05 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I've owned 3 BMW's, including an '08 335i, and never had a brake noise issue. So I'm not sure the characterization that most E90's are plagued with this is accurate. Is it a regular squeak or the wear indicator scraping along the rotor as you seem to indicate? I wonder if the pads are OEM or if there's some mis-alignment of the wear sensor if that is the problem. Wear indicators make a very loud screeching sound when you are NOT applying the brakes. Something out of the ordinary is wrong with that car, IMO.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 06-17-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
My 2007 has done this for the past 25K miles. The dealer's response: "they all do that". It's definitely not the wear indicators as I've still got the same rear brakes that I had 25K miles ago. It's annoying and horrible sounding, and worse in warmer months (well, it doesn't occur unless the car is very warm).

It's inexcusable but good luck getting it fixed. I'm now OOW so once my rear brakes are toast I'll get an indy to fix it once and for all. I've heard that people have the sensor zip tied out of the way so it can't rub on anything but that doesn't sound like a real solution.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 AM
.oo=||=oo.

Mein Auto: Bimmers
I strongly believe the brake sensors are not the culprits. Prodigious amounts of anti-squeal compound are required at the brake pad/caliper contact points to deal with the issue.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:20 PM

You are lucky you did not have to deal with it. I know 2 other people with 335s and they both have the same problem. BMW also told me that its just the design and there really isn't anything to do except slam on the breaks once in while to clear the brake dust.

I did get some suggestions to take my car to a non-dealer mechanic and have them look at the brakes and try some various stuff that will help the sensor from not contacting with the rotor. Thanks for the replies though. If you find a way to fix the problem please let me know!
Old 06-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
At 110K miles, I changed out the pads and rotor to aftermarket, and replaced the sensor to the latest number: 34356792564 (from 3/10). Nary a peep from the right rear side. It was the first time it has (permanently) gone away.

Since I did three things at once, I couldn't tell which item fixed it, but since the brake sensor is on its third part number I would go with that step first. If that doesn't fix it, then go with the latest brake pads - one does not hear about the low speed brake squeal from the 2010+ models.

(Rotors and calipers remain the same part number for all years of E9X 335i. So it is a process of elimination. Sensor first, then pads)

Last edited by Bcube; 06-17-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 335i auto, Volvo T5 man
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmr View Post
i strongly believe the brake sensors are not the culprits. Prodigious amounts of anti-squeal compound are required at the brake pad/caliper contact points to deal with the issue.
+1

and grit between rotor and shield removal.

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Last edited by Robin128; 10-23-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:52 PM
GODSPD

Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
I had 68k on the original brakes and never had a single peep out of 'em.

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 06-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Skxawng

Mein Auto: 335i E90 MT
I heard it just a few times over 52k on stock pads - was not able to reliably repro.
I have it on track pads, but this is expected, and is not too bad - just a sqeak from one or the other wheel when lightly braking to complete stop.
Does it squeal on all wheels?

I'd recommend getting anti-squeal paste, then taking caliper apart, inspecting guiding bolts, applying paste between caliper and pads, putting everything back together, and tighting up to specs. Then do a pad break-in procedure.

Last edited by Sky Keeper; 06-17-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
^^^This squeaking is not caused by applying brakes. It is specifically the right rear brake area (the one with the sensor). It squeaks at low speed. BMW has a SIB against it.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Sport,Premium & Navi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
^^^This squeaking is not caused by applying brakes. It is specifically the right rear brake area (the one with the sensor). It squeaks at low speed. BMW has a SIB against it.

I had this. Sort of a wooshing sound? Anyway dealer replaced brakes and sensor under warrenty and no issues since. Although when I come to a stop my brakes sort of groan / squeek as I come to a stop.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Skxawng

is it a sensor vibrating inside pad?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E90 3351
I drive a 2008 335i with manual trans and I have the same issue. Computer says 3400 miles until rear brakes need to be serviced. I notice the squeak at low speed and also when I set the parking brake and get out of the car. The weight shifting when I step out also causes it. I hear it on the driver's side but that may be because that's the side I'm on... Debating whether to blow it off until recommended service interval or sooner.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:02 PM

So if I have BMW look at it and specifically tell them to replace the sensor, rotor, and brake pads they will? I do not have the knowledge and skill to take my car apart, and my BMW dealership has brushed it off the past three times. I am willing to try to get the sensor replaced before I go aftermarket. So my next question is do I take my car back to BMW or do I look elsewhere?
Old 06-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Skxawng

problems like this are hard to fix, so I'm not surprised dealership did not bother.

Gimlet, where exactly the squeal is located? If it's rear sensor(rear right wheel only), and don't mind getting dirty, you can try removing it from the pad and ducttaping to a brake line.
But if other wheels squeal, then it's definetly pads/rotors/calipers.

How many miles left till you need to change pads?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
There is a huge thread on this. I'm also of the camp that most E9x's go through this. Take a look for the tread I'm referring to (can't mistake it, it's really long) and you'll see what others have done. Personally, I took mine the the dealer and they fixed it. That was probably a few years ago now and the squeal has not returned.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet40 View Post

From what I understand, the design of the wheels causes the sensor to somehow scrape along something and create the noise

So onto my question...have any of you been able to stop this problem?
No squeak here.

Isn't BMW's sensor designed to complete a circuit (to the rotor) when the pads are nearly gone? Some pads have a tab that, when pads are nearly worn out, contact the rotor to create a warning squeal.

Here's something.

Does it sound like this?

Could try this!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 06-19-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:09 AM

Sky Keeper, I believe the sound comes from the rear wheels, especially the rear passenger. I am so fed up with the noise that I probably would try to duct tape it (although I dont think that is a permanent solution) but I honestly have no idea how to do that. And I will look later today at how many miles I have left.

Calwaterboy, that video is the main reason that I realized I wasnt the only one with the problem. That noise is pretty much the same as what I experience. But I do not think that my pads are almost gone, because when I take my car in they say my pads are still fine. And sorry I was not aware of the other thread, I will definitely check it out.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Montego Blue 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
No squeak here.

Isn't BMW's sensor designed to complete a circuit (to the rotor) when the pads are nearly gone? Some pads have a tab that, when pads are nearly worn out, contact the rotor to create a warning squeal.

Here's something.

Does it sound like this?

Could try this!

Yes.

I actually had the squeal and completely forgot about it when I recently brought the car in for regular service as indicated by my idrive. Funny enough, my rear brakes said I wasn't due for rear brake service until 9000 miles but I mentioned to my SA that in 88k miles, I haven't had the rear rotors replaced. Since the idrive said the "vehcile check" was due, I asked him in checking the vehicle, do they check the brakes. He said they do and I asked him to check the rotors.

Anyways, when I got my car back, they replaced rear rotors, pads, and sensors. Pads were at 2mm and I believe the rotors were at 19.2mm. Both measurements were below spec so they replaced them.

Ever since then I have't had the squeal and at first I completely forgot about it until recently. So for me, it seems that it was tied to the brakes or something was affected while they replaced the rear brakes.

To note for those of you with the squeal, I only noticed hearing the squeal up to about 20mph. After that, it seemed to disappear.

Good luck.

Last edited by bam; 04-25-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 AM

So I read over some of the other threads and it seems as though most (I understand some people were lucky) were not able to fix the problem. I find this very frustrating. Even though I did not pay for my car, my dad is very upset because he paid for a BMW yet our car sounds like an old beater when we enter parking lots. We may go to our BMW dealership and talk about all the solutions you all have described and after some "strong convincing" maybe they will have a longer look at it. I love my car to death and want to start modifying it, but this squeaking is getting ridiculous. My parents want to trade it in and get a new Audi A4 because our local Audi dealership (which is just next door) has treated us much better than BMW. Before fall I will take my car to some other service shops that specialize in BMWs and see if they can fix it. If not, I guess I'll just have to live with it.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
O Boy! You, guys, started.
Every time I pool at my work garage and everyone look at my car - I feel terrible.
When car was under warranty and make more then 4 attempts to bring my car and ask them to fixed. "they all do that" - amazing phrase that go from SA to SA , doesn't matter where you service your car.
Will see my mechanic soon with oil change and rear break service. Will see what happen. Thanks for sensor PN#. Hope this will fixed issue.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 06-19-2011, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
This is the big thread I was referring to. For those who have not experienced this, it's not "normal" brake noise and do not happen when braking. And it very annoying and embarassing. For those who have experienced this...you already know these things Anyway, when mine did this the dealer ended up replacing the pads/rotors/sensors and the problem never came back. Maybe that was overkill, but it worked.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Skxawng

looking at the rear right wheel, the one with sensor, i don't see how it or a wire car rub anything there. I've tried unplugging and duct taping it - it did not eliminate the noise, but changed frequency and now it starts when I apply more pressure. I have track pads, so all 4 wheels squeal at some point, but that's expected.

So, good thing: there was a change.
Bad thing: I have no idea if I had the problem others talk about, since in my case it squeals only under light braking at low speeds.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMWs
My 08 335xi Coupe did and dealer didn't hear it
Old 06-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Mace

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
I don't get it and I think I'm gettng screwed. I've got 36,000 miles on my 335i Coupe and have yet to have my brakes squeal and have had no mis-aligned body panels, or broken seatbelt servers, or bad HPFP, or excessive tire noise, or exploding sunroof. I just get this feeling that I'm missing out on the whole BMW experience....do I have a lemon???

YESTERDAY: '08 335i Coupe, Space Gray, Coral Red, Gray Poplar, 6-MT, ED 10 May '08.
TODAY: '11 M3 Convertible, Mineral White, Fox Red, Extended Leather, Carbon Leather, 6-MT, 19" Style 220M Wheels, EDC, EPS, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW. ED 29 Apr '11. PCD Re-delivery July 27.

Last edited by Mace14; 06-19-2011 at 07:10 PM.