Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Unhappy My 528i is starting to drive me crazy!

First my nav and phone volume wouldn't stay set. Dealer corrected it after having to reload software, now my information display will not stay set and disappears each time the car is turned off and restarted. I also now have a light vibration while driving, especially between 65 and 75 miles per hour. Never hit any large potholes or road obstructions. I cannot see anything obviously amiss with the tires or rims. If it is a wheel / tire issue, at least I have the isurance package for that if needed. The car currently has Dunlop 18" RFT's. And we won't even mention the tip-in issue that they say is "normal".
Took it back to the dealer (again...). They agreed about the vibration and will check it. Sat and watched while they tried everything to get the info display to stay on. They say they never saw one do that before. (great, just what I wanted to hear....) Probably ANOTHER software problem which means another overnight service visit for my car. I will get a loaner, but I'm getting tired of driving 45 minutes each way to the dealer a few times each week, especially since I live in a beach area where traffic is abismal this time of year.
Now I'm wondering what new thing will go wrong after they fix this latest issue with the software. Fix one problem that results in another issue.
So far this is stacking up to be the worst new car I ever bought. Not even 1400 miles on the clock yet. I am cutting it some slack so far because it is also the most "complicated" car I ever owned and a first year F10 model.
I hope my luck improves here.
2011 BMW 528i- Black Saphire Metallic, Black Leather, Prem. Package, Prem. Package 2, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package,Sport Auto Trans, Anthracite Wood & Headliner, Xenon Lights, Split Fold-down Seats.
Ads by Google
Old 07-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Info display is how it works on my car after re-load. I just deal with it as it made the nav arrows work correctly. Others have noted the same thing.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 07-06-2011, 01:26 PM

My nav arrows worked correctly before. My original issue was with the nav volume only. Nav arrows still work, but info display won't stay on without manually pushing the button on the turn signal lever. Not a major issue, but I want the car to work as it is supposed to. That's what I paid for. Fixing one problem should not cause another.
When it happened to yours after the reprogram, did you bring it to the dealers attention, or just let it go. If you did tell the dealer / service department, what was their response?
2011 BMW 528i- Black Saphire Metallic, Black Leather, Prem. Package, Prem. Package 2, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package,Sport Auto Trans, Anthracite Wood & Headliner, Xenon Lights, Split Fold-down Seats.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: f10 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeofrosty View Post
My nav arrows worked correctly before. My original issue was with the nav volume only. Nav arrows still work, but info display won't stay on without manually pushing the button on the turn signal lever. Not a major issue, but I want the car to work as it is supposed to. That's what I paid for. Fixing one problem should not cause another.
When it happened to yours after the reprogram, did you bring it to the dealers attention, or just let it go. If you did tell the dealer / service department, what was their response?
when I first got the car it used to stay on after a restart, after they did a software update it does not stay on... I told this to my client adviser and he says that a lot of people complained about same thing but there's nothing they can do since it's the latest software update, maybe they will fix it in the next one... so i'm sure it's "normal"
Old 07-07-2011, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i
Uncheck navigation under info display in I drive and the display comes back on after restart
Old 07-07-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC View Post
Uncheck navigation under info display in I drive and the display comes back on after restart
We tried that. It comes back on, but disappears again after about 20 seconds.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xdrive
BURN it !
Old 07-06-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerryCubed View Post
BURN it !
LOL! While I'm not quite at that stage yet, I would take that into consideration..... providing you are willing to reimburse me for the price of the car.
I'll even bring the marshmallows.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I love Cape May, it's so lovely down there. As far as problems go with first year model cars, it's a crap shoot. I have had no issues with the car that people complain about on Bimmerfest. And I have a 3/10 build date. I guess I shouldn't be crapping sunshine just yet as it's still early in the life cycle and things could go wrong. But as far as known issues, RFT tires,pulling to the right,throttle tip in, grinding noise, or what ever. Nothing. Hang in there, it's a great car, and I'm sure you'll get things sorted out.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Hang in there, it's a great car, and I'm sure you'll get things sorted out.
I'm sure you're right. But it's not the destination I'm worried about....it's the journey.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive +'01 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
I love Cape May, it's so lovely down there. As far as problems go with first year model cars, it's a crap shoot. I have had no issues with the car that people complain about on Bimmerfest. And I have a 3/10 build date. I guess I shouldn't be crapping sunshine just yet as it's still early in the life cycle and things could go wrong. But as far as known issues, RFT tires,pulling to the right,throttle tip in, grinding noise, or what ever. Nothing. Hang in there, it's a great car, and I'm sure you'll get things sorted out.
Ditto with my 535i X drive November 2010 build. Hope it lasts!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Luckily, in 9600 miles, I've only taken my 535i in for service once, for its interim oil change. When I take it for the scheduled oil change I'll be sure they don't upgrade the software unless other people confirm that they've got the new version straightened out. I don't have a problem with navigation arrows or the multi-display, and I have an August 2010 build.

To the OP, the vibration is the main issue I'd be concerned about. Otherwise the other items don't sound like a "worst car" scenario. You must have been very lucky so far with other cars. These are minor issues, IMO. The tip-in issue will resolve itself after a few hundred miles.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 07-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i, 1993 300zx
I have a 2011 528i and haven't experienced any of the problems you are describing. Granted I only have 700 miles on it so far. The tip in throttle problem seems to be universal and I have the same issue. I wish you the best in getting your issues squared away.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Same with me. Other than the throttle issue and Google Maps not working my car has been great so far.
I'm sure your problems will get resolved.
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black

Other
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 07-07-2011, 08:58 PM

I've had problems with my 528i from day one. I've taken my car in 5 times now for the Bluetooth sound quality issue and they still can't fix it. I got my car back a few weeks ago and had the same problem with the info display. I took the car back to the dealer and after a week later, they told me that it's normal and the new update made this change. I'm sorry but this is not normal! Why do you want the Info Display not show? I found out that it can be changed if you uncheck the Navigation display but I shouldn't have to do this. I just switch it back and forth when I use the navigation but BMW needs to realize they screwed up on this update.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
In my experience the more you let the dealer "fix" issues with your car the more issues come up until you finally have to declare the thing a lemon. These guys only have a vague idea of how your car works and they are guessing on how to fix it most of the time. Perhaps it is too late for you now that you've started the process but keep this in mind the next time you purchase a new car - I could tell you many first hand stories of how these guys have ruined cars belonging to me, members of my family and friends. I wish you the best and I hope that in your case my analysis is completely incorrect.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
In my experience the more you let the dealer "fix" issues with your car the more issues come up until you finally have to declare the thing a lemon. These guys only have a vague idea of how your car works and they are guessing on how to fix it most of the time. Perhaps it is too late for you now that you've started the process but keep this in mind the next time you purchase a new car - I could tell you many first hand stories of how these guys have ruined cars belonging to me, members of my family and friends. I wish you the best and I hope that in your case my analysis is completely incorrect.
Yikes, that's a little unnerving! My BMW dealer service has always been pretty good.
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black

Other
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 07-08-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
+1. I've learned over 40 years of owning cars not to sweat the small stuff. If an arrow appears on a display once in a while, just let it go. The more times you let your dealer touch your car the unhappier you will be. From all the nit-picking I read here, I see why manufacturers have such a hard time satisfying everyone.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
From all the nit-picking I read here, I see why manufacturers have such a hard time satisfying everyone.
"Nit-picking"? Wanting a new car with less than 2,000 miles to work as it should is not nit-picking. These systems should work properly. Period. We're not talking about minor subjective interior flaws, or complaining about one headlight being 1/8 of an inch higher than the other, etc.
These systems should, using the phrase BMW likes to espouse, "operate as designed".

I brought the car to my dealer first thing last Tuesday morning. I explained about the info display not staying on since the software reload they did to solve the nav volume issue. I told them I read online that this seems to be what was happening to all the other F10's after a software reload and that there appears to be no current fix for it. I said if that was actually the case, rather than beating themselves up about it, that I could live with it if need be. They looked at me like I had two heads and said they never heard of that. I also explained about my mild vibration issue, trying to go into as much detail as possible, trying to be helpful. Took about 2 minutes. They seemed like I was wasting their time, cut me off totally disinterested and said they would check it.
They still have the car as of today. I tried to call late Friday afternoon to see how they were making out, since I have heard nothing from them. I was told the shop foreman was still working on it and they would probably need it for at least another day. They would call when it was ready. I have no idea what they are doing or how far along they are. On the posative side, they gave me a 328 convertible as a loaner. The weather at home has been fantastic and the wife and I are having fun with it. However, I have some family business out of state coming up next week and while the convertible is fun, it's too small for me to cart the family and luggage down to where I need to go. It would have been nice for them to at least give me a hint when they thought my car might be done so I could make alternate arrangements for my transportation, if needed. If they are waiting on parts, let me know. I can understand that. Other than that, I can't think why 2 relatively minor complaints would keep my car tied up for 5 days and counting with no explanation. I guess I'm not feelin' the love with my dealer's service department right now.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeofrosty View Post
"Nit-picking"? Wanting a new car with less than 2,000 miles to work as it should is not nit-picking. These systems should work properly. Period. We're not talking about minor subjective interior flaws, or complaining about one headlight being 1/8 of an inch higher than the other, etc.
These systems should, using the phrase BMW likes to espouse, "operate as designed".
When I wrote that I didn't mean you specifically with "nit picking". I mean it's all over the forums. Small things that don't amount to a lot at times. Granted they shouldn't occur, but some "problems" are somewhat liveable, IMO. Sometimes it's worse to keep harping on a dealer to fix something because they'll tear it apart and make things worse. My nav arrow comes back 1 time after I arrive at my destination even though I disengaged navigation ahead of time. Is this perfect? No, but it isn't killing me. I'm not going to mention it to the dealer -- I don't want a software upgrade that will probably make things worse.

I am sorry that you are having the issues with the new car, I know it can be frustrating. I hope they work it out for you. BMW obviously sent out a bad fix, now they'll have to get another fix out. The tip-in problem you first mentioned should go away after a couple hundered miles, as it did for me and many other F10 owners. Let the car settle in and see what happens -- as I said, I would be most concerned about the vibration you mentioned.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
+1. I've learned over 40 years of owning cars not to sweat the small stuff. If an arrow appears on a display once in a while, just let it go. The more times you let your dealer touch your car the unhappier you will be. From all the nit-picking i read here, i see why manufacturers have such a hard time satisfying everyone.
+1
Old 07-16-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
+1
I don't get you guys? That doesn't say much for the dealerships or the cars themselves, if that's your take on things. I'm sure I can dig up a bunch of defective items with bugs in them that don't work right and sell them to you on the cheap since you don't seem to care if what you buy works properly. Gimmee a list and I'll see what I can do.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 AW F10 550i
Exclamation

Romeo, I'm with you! After ordering my 550i and waiting 5 weeks for delivery, 4 days later the engine symbol comes on as well as the passenger side airbag (same issue that plagued my 2005 545 )

The Dealership was quite accommodating and set me up with an immediate loaner (328i with pet hair and cigarette smoke )

My 2008 550i was not a perfect car, however, besides routine maintenance, I never had to bring the car in for repairs.

I am giving this car a short leash when it comes to repairs. Two more repairs within the next 10k miles and I will ask for some sugar and water

Last edited by Black 5; 07-16-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
I agree with markl53's comments about nitpicking. Cars are complex machines that integrate many systems and subsystems, and the F10 is more complex than most, being on the cutting edge of technological applications, so minor issues are to be expected. Can anyone name a car that is "perfect", that is free of even minor issues? Not so for cars at any price, now or in the history of the automobile I bet.

While many complaints by customers (and posters) are legitimate, I find that many other issues that we complain about are just a matter of us, the drivers, learning to properly use and adapt to the characteristics of the car we drive. An example: while my 550i has had no major hesitation issues when accelerating, it was a little hesitant at first. Now, after the car has "learned" to respond to my driving style, which by the way is not consistent as I sometimes drive rather aggressively and sometimes rather gently, I have also learned to apply proper pressure to the throttle and make use of the paddles and of the comfort-to-sport button to avoid hesitation under any driving situation. I have also learned to feel where the turbos kick in, so that I can accelerate hard linearly but very fast.

I find that driving the F10 is a very involving experience, where I make use of the adaptability the car offers to driving conditions and styles. I change suspension settings when going from a smooth road surface to a rough one and back again when the road surface changes. I switch the auto-hold on and off several times during my commute as I feel more comfortable driving at that particular moment. I turn on the adaptive cruise on and off, again, just to suit my driving mood at the time. I change the settings on the equalizer to get the best sound from the type of music I am listening to at the moment, instead of permanently leaving a setting that is acceptable for all music. So yes, I am very involved with the car whenever I drive it, and I love it. The car, in turn, responds to my every whim. To conclude, such level of involvement with the car allows me to adapt to the vehicle characteristics of the vehicle and eliminate most of the minor annoyances that people complain about, while raising my level of enjoyment tenfold.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.