Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Acura MDX
Why did you choose the X3 over the Q5?

My wife and I are trying to choose between the X3 and the Audi Q5 and we'd like to hear your thoughts.

If you seriously considered the Q5, why did you choose the X3?
What were the strengths and weaknesses of the Q5?
What were the strengths and weaknesses of the X3?

Thanks in advanced,

Cliff
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Don't limit yourself to just the Q5. Take a look at the new XC60 300 hp turbo, the new T-egg, the EX35, GLK, and the SRX. Lots of great choices out there now and you will be surprised at what you get for the same $$$ the X3 will cost.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Don't limit yourself to just the Q5. Take a look at the new XC60 300 hp turbo, the new T-egg, the EX35, GLK, and the SRX. Lots of great choices out there now and you will be surprised at what you get for the same $$$ the X3 will cost.
The XC60 T6 AWD R-design gets a 320hp upgrade for MY12

Anyways, between this and the Q5, I've driven both and this is what I think (I love both Audi and BMW)

Q5: better interior, think it looks cooler, little bit larger, worse service here, about the same price, drives really well, needs the 3.0T engine
X3: drives better, slightly small, i'm not sold on the looks yet, typical BMW nickel and diming, the 35i's engine is a masterpiece with the 8speed auto

In this segment, I'd only look at 3 cars. XC60, Q5, and X3. The Touareg is larger. The EX35 is pathetically small. The GLK feels cheaply made and I don't like Cadillac.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:55 AM

The T-egg is 6 inches longer and 2 inches wider than the new X3. The XC60 is virtually the same size. Interestingly the T-egg has a tighter turning radius that either of the others. The VW also offers a diesel here. Worthwhile looking at in any case, the interior is superb IMHO.

Last edited by UncleJ; 07-23-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Looked seriously at the Q5. What it came down to with me is the x3 was just so much more fun to drive. The interior was nicer in the Q5 the x3 more streamlined, and now when I see one driving around I am sure I made the right decision with the x3. Both are good cars just go with which one feels better behind the wheel. Enjoy!
Old 07-23-2011, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 330i 2006 6 speed Sport
We looked closely at both. My wife used to have an S-4 so was sympathetic to Audi. But the minute we got into a 2.8 X3 it was game over. Just felt like a much more solid car. Then we struggled with the 3 v. 5 (storage, power, etc.) issue until we drove the 3.5 (which is hard to do as they are scarce on the lot). The smile on my face throughout the test drive said it all. I told the sales guy, now I know I am in a BMW.

Now we are trying to get the best price before pulling the trigger on an order.

Btw, one quirk on the Q - the translucent sun roof. Why isn't there an opaque option? I could not imagine a drive from San Francisco to LA on I-5 with the sun pouring the entire time.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2011, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: M3 & X3
Cliff,

I just bought a 35i after seriously considering and extensively comparing both cars. Both are excellent and you canít go wrong with either.

Interior: As others have said the Audiís is nicer and I donít think itís close. The Audiís materials are richer, better looking and the switch gear have a nicer feel. However, the BMW is no slouch and for the most part this wasnít a big factor for me. The X3 does have a couple of cheap touches which were a little bothersome, especially the rather ugly plastic spacers around the LCD screen if you donít buy the NAV. Audiís perforated sunscreen shade is a big miss since I donít see how it can effectively block the sun.

Handling/ride: These arenít sport sedans so by handling I mean what youíd experience in normal to somewhat spirited driving not all out 10/10 maneuvers. If the latter is what you want, try another car class. The X3 feels lighter (it isnít), and a little more nimble, but, in base form, is a little soft and floaty for my tastes and doesnít control small chassis movements as well as Iíd like. The Q5 is definitely stiffer, and ( flame suit on) exhibits better chassis control. However on really bad roads itís likely to be less pleasant than a base X3. I added the DHP package to my X3 because it provided better chassis control with only a small penalty in ride. I never considered or tried the adjustable Q5 suspension because itís very expensive and impossible to find. The X3 comes only with run-flats, and no spare Ė almost a deal breaker for me. The Q5 doesnít have run-flats and comes with a spare, albeit a compact spare.

Engine: The biggest difference between the two. In my mind the base engines are almost a wash. The N52 in the X3 is certainly smoother, and sounds better, but the 2.0T in the Q5 isnít bad and it has more low end grunt, and probably get a little better mileage. However, at the moment Audi doesnít offer anything comparable in the Q5 to BMWís N55 twin scroll turbo - a very important factor for me.

Price: The MSRP of the Audi, with comparable equipment, is significantly lower, so if youíre going to purchase it will be less expensive. However, if youíre going to lease the much higher residual values on the BMW more than compensates for the MSRP disadvantage making it cheaper.

Misc: At this point in time the Audi is a little better sorted out and refined, not surprising since itís in its 3rd model year and the BMW is new. For example the X3 has a little more wind noise at speed (i.e. >65mph), not that itís annoying, and more road noise (run-flats?). Also, I find off/on throttle actions can sometimes be a little lurchy in the BMW, and I didnít notice that in the Audi.

In the end I chose the X3 for 3 reasons: 1) the N55 twin scroll turbo, 2) better handling/ride compromise with the DHP, and 3) price since I leased.

What you choose will probably depend on how you value the different characteristics, but both are fine cars and I donít think either is a bad choice.

Marty
Old 07-23-2011, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Acura MDX
thanks, everyone.

I'm surprised no one mentioned any concerns over Audi's maintenance history. They used to have a pretty bad reputation. Have they improved enough so that it isn't a factor?

I should have added that we're probably going to opt for the base engines because we're not really driving enthusiasts and we just want a comfortable ride with a decent amount of room. How do the base engines compare (i.e. is the Audi's 211 hp engine adequate?)?

Thanks, again
Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 AM

I think that Audi has long passed the poor maintentance rep (that currently Land Rover enjoys), at least for the past 10 years or so that we have had Audis (A4's). Most of the current crop of iron is pretty reliable these days -- the Koreans included. If you are looking for the base engine, lots of room, and a decent ride you owe yourself a look at, and drive of the XC60. Excellent car in the base version.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: X3 xDrive35i & 350Z TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocheme View Post
thanks, everyone.

I'm surprised no one mentioned any concerns over Audi's maintenance history. They used to have a pretty bad reputation. Have they improved enough so that it isn't a factor?

I should have added that we're probably going to opt for the base engines because we're not really driving enthusiasts and we just want a comfortable ride with a decent amount of room. How do the base engines compare (i.e. is the Audi's 211 hp engine adequate?)?

Thanks, again
They have more little problems these days. Had a 2006 A4 2.0T. Adaptive headlights would screw up sometimes. Had a window motor replaced on both the drive and passenger sides. Otherwise they're pretty good cars. But after quite a few trips to the dealer, I'd lease one again, but wouldn't buy one.

Going from the Audi to a 2008 328i and now to the X3 xDrive35i...build quality and longevity are more than apparent in the BMW. I liked the Audi more back to back drives, but I appreciated the BMW more, the more I drove it. One reason we bought another BMW.

Very impressed with the new 35i...liked it more than the X5. And this thing gets out of its own way pretty well.

If you like power, refinement, and iDrive.... the decision between the Q5 and the X3 should be obvious.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
We test drove an XC60 back at the end of 09 (a 2010 model?), the back seats had no leg room. Is the latest model different?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
We test drove an XC60 back at the end of 09 (a 2010 model?), the back seats had no leg room. Is the latest model different?
No, it's the same.

Were the seats back all the way? The XC60 felt pretty spacious to me
Old 07-25-2011, 08:40 AM

+1, it had at least as much room back there as my '06 X3. I also may be wrong but I thought the second row was adjustable fore and aft like the Terrain etc.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 (wifes car)
We looked at them all and really did NOT want the BMW due to the "stigma".
At the end of the day, the BMW seemed to be the best value even though it was one of the more expensive choices.
My $.02...
The Q5 was nice, no scheduled service and the six cylinder gets pricy quickly- would not even consider the 2.0. If we wanted a 4-cylinder (NVH) we would get a CRV...
Volvo interior was cheap, cheap, cheap...
Cadillac was just a dressed up Equinox, underpowered and heavy.
T-Reg- too big...Tiguan too cheap (interior).
Kia Sorento- not bad, just numb.
EX35- lots of car for the $$, just a little small...
'08 Super Duty Power Stroke (retired)
'07 MB ML CDI (retired)
'04 Toyota Solara convertible (retired)
'03 Range Rover HSE (fired)
Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: x3 turbo
We drove pretty much every mid size SUV available and at the end of the day the X3 fit us the best. There were probably 2 factors that pushed us towards the X3 over the Q5.

1) The Q5 is all show and no go. The N55 in the X3 is a really sweet motor and offers decent mpg. We felt the X3 was more of the driver's suv.

2) The X3 seemed much more rugged. We do a lot of outdoor activites and the X3 seems to be better suited ot get us to those remote areas. We felt the Q5 was more of a street queen. I've taken the X3 of road once already at the trails near our cabin and it did really well. I've had it on 3 wheels and the power is transfered to the wheel with traction which is really nice.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
when i purchased my x3 2 months ago, i was comparing RDX vs Q5 vs X3.

I eliminated the Q5 because 1) price vs size comparison to other two. 2) sunroof? 3)dislike the sales people 4) read some bad reviews and car problem posts. 4 year warranty/maintaince on bmw vs nothing from audi 5) look the most soccer-mom car of the 3 in my mind.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:50 PM

DC, Audi of Stevens Creek offers a maintentance plan as part of the purchase price like BMW. Might not be as comprehensive but it did everything we needed for my wife's A4. The oil change mileage was 7500 or 12 months.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 05' 545
I owned the Q5 3.2 prestige with everything including ADS and traded it for the X3 35 loaded. The X3 was faster (a lot faster), cheaper, had more options, and gets slightly better mpg than Q5. Cheaper to own too as traffic data is free, insurance is less, better mpg, and one year free satellite.

Last edited by vdeangel; 07-26-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
My wife and I are trying to choose between the X3 and the Audi Q5 and we'd like to hear your thoughts.

What were the strengths and weaknesses of the Q5?
What were the strengths and weaknesses of the X3?

Thanks in advanced,

Cliff
While I never seriously considered the Q5, I am an ex-Audi man and feel that they do make great cars and that Q5 is "cute". The reasons I did not go for it:

1. Design too mainstream for me (this is obviously very individual and subjective)
2. Price discounts and lease residual rates much worse than BMW (at a couple of dealerships I went to)
3. Sales people very unaccomodating (again just my experience)
4. No scheduled maintenance included in the price
5. Practical inability to specify details (i.e. you buy off the lot)
6. I like the BMW handling more
Old 07-28-2011, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Cool Chose the X3

I did not like the styling of the Q5 interior or exterior. I also own a 325xi which is a very sloidly built car with great handling. Howver, compared to my 3 Series, the X3 seems to have a "cheaper" interior and an annoying squeek in the door (maybe this comes with an SUV). The power is amazing in x3 (I have the 35).
Old 07-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemano50 View Post
I did not like the styling of the Q5 interior or exterior. I also own a 325xi which is a very sloidly built car with great handling. Howver, compared to my 3 Series, the X3 seems to have a "cheaper" interior and an annoying squeek in the door (maybe this comes with an SUV). The power is amazing in x3 (I have the 35).
Do you have the 2011 X3 or the old one?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dest149 View Post
Do you have the 2011 X3 or the old one?
nvm, they just came out with the 35i model this past year so it has to be 2011. haha
Old 07-29-2011, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: NYC
Here is why Q5 is not on my list

- No Bluetooth Steaming
- The sunroof only have a shade, it doesn't close with the hard material, so you still see though even with closed shades. On my test drive it was a very hot day and I was feeling the heat coming thought this shades.
- Back seats almost 90 degrees, very uncomfortable
- the 4 cylinder has a huge turbo lag
- I sent them tens of emails and made tens of calls and spoke with couple of salesman at the dealership, and I still don't have the price. After a month of trying to get a price I just gave up.
- Wait time for the car is 3-4 month.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:
-Very simple, I drove both! Not that the Q5 is bad, exactly. The X3 is just better in every dynamic aspect. Ergonomics are very subjective, so I'll leave that up to you.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: LA LA Land
Wife drove both and said X3 was better. It was that simple for me