Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Brake Rotor

My brake wear sensor went off at 107,000 miles. I got the car at 58K so I assume these are the original pad/rotors.

I am thinking akebono pads which I can get a Advance Auto using the 41% coupon code. My question is that they have a few pricier rotors from Wagner and Beck/Arnley. If I can use my discount codes on there, I can get them at a good deal.

Anyone have any experience with these brands vs OE. Don't need super performance, just OE quality for regular driving?

thanks

Last edited by dnwong; 09-12-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Wagner may have their own foundry but most Beck Arnley stuff is repackaged brand names.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Balo, Brembo, Zimmerman all make excellent-quality rotors (and you DON`T need any cross-drilled or slotted ones. either). Pagid or Jurid (OEM-type) pads perform the best of all (albeit with slightly more dusting). Pads, rotors, and sensors for all 4 corners will run you around $350.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Old 09-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
(albeit with slightly more dusting).
Make that a LOT MORE dusting! But much better bite and pedal feel than Akes.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: Me - E39 5spd, Wife - E36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Balo, Brembo, Zimmerman all make excellent-quality rotors (and you DON`T need any cross-drilled or slotted ones. either). Pagid or Jurid (OEM-type) pads perform the best of all (albeit with slightly more dusting). Pads, rotors, and sensors for all 4 corners will run you around $350.
Enough said ^ +1
Old 09-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnwong View Post
My brake wear sensor went off at 107,000 miles. I got the car at 58K so I assume these are the original pad/rotors.
I doubt it (based solely on my experience).

When I first joined Bimmerfest, my very first post resulted in a four wheel brake pad & rotor DIY (you guys talked me into it, I swear!).

That was at about 75K miles & I replaced the pads with OEM Jurids in the front and OEM Textar in the rear. I think the rotors were ATE (it's all in this thread):
- One user's example of a complete brake job with all torque figures, specs, measurements, fluids, decisions, tools, tricks, mistakes, suppliers, costs, etc., that it entails (1)

At about 95K miles, I needed to replace the front Jurids (this time I replaced with PBR/Axxis Deluxe Advanced); and just last week, at 102K miles, I had to replace the rear Textars (again, with PBR/Axxis Deluxe advanced, at $42 + tax from NAPA in San Jose, due to the grinding urgency of the matter ... i.e., the 'tabs' on the outboard pad ground into the rotor BEFORE the brake wear sensor on the inboard pad was even touched!).

I drive rather sedately, probably averaging about 70mph on the highway when the traffic level is low, and I hit the hills about once a week over to Santa Cruz (about 3000 feet up and then down in about 16 miles of driving). The hardest braking I've ever done is the occasional panic stop and the brake-bedding procedures in the beginning.

The front rotors had a few thousandths left to them but the rears were down by four or five thousandths (details are amply provided in that thread so all this is from memory).

Point is, I would think it highly unlikely you got that much wear out of the original rotors and pads, based solely on my experience.

As for the most often recommended pads, rotors, & suppliers see this bestlinks:
- What E39 street use brake pads (1) and rotors (1) and suppliers (1) (2) are most often recommended

Note: Your question of Akebono versus OE is covered in those references above.

Last edited by bluebee; 09-13-2011 at 12:06 AM.