Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Tailgate rattle and noise

Hi All,

This week, after the 5th attempt and 2 dealerships, I got my X5 back with the tailgate noise/rattle *fixed*. The SA/Tech acknowledged the noise and said they adjusted the tailgate and there is no noise.

However, I have to close the lower portion on the trunk so hard, you won't believe it. If I shut the lower part close, the upper part won't close using the "Red auto close button" until I force the lower part with a lot of force.

The noise is somewhat gone (not entirely) but now the lower part is pressed against the rubber and it squeaks.

When I took the delivery and was about to drive off, there was half an inch gap in the lower and upper parts. The SA then took it away and came back after 10 mins - the gap was gone this time - and told me to use more force then usual if I want to use the Auto close button.

Is it normal for the tailgate to be adjusted in way you actually have to use more force than usual? I feel like I'd break it in a few months if I use it everyday. The SA told me this is the only way the noise will go away. Any thoughts?

Last edited by smuggymba; 10-12-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
I'm in Houston too... Which dealer did you go to for service. Frankly, some of them are totally crap.

BTW, I don't think this is normal... I would take it back and refuse to take the car back until they fix it.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:26 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
Hi All,

This week, after the 5th attempt and 2 dealerships, I got my X5 back with the tailgate noise/rattle *fixed*. . . .

Is it normal for the tailgate to be adjusted in way you actually have to use more force than usual? . . . Any thoughts?
This is not normal! My eight old year closes the lower piece with one hand, I pick him up and he pushes the "red button". That's it, no rattle, no squeaks.

Dealer tech competence varies significantly, try another dealer, try and use one that handles a lot of cars.

If one more visit fails, take it up directly with BMWUSA. You may want to take a video clip of you closing the tailgate, and if you have a camcorder with an external microphone, you might even be able to capture the sounds you mention. Visuals help catch people's attention quickly! Not suggesting you broadcast the video, but you can certainly let the BMW rep know, you will, if this is not fixed to the way it is supposed to be!

Chances are, one or more of the tailgate panels is outside the design tolerance limit and that is causing this issue. Replacing these panels should solve this problem. This assumes the dealer tech knew what he was doing and have adjusted it to the max possible!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
This is not normal! My eight old year closes the lower piece with one hand, I pick him up and he pushes the "red button". That's it, no rattle, no squeaks.

Dealer tech competence varies significantly, try another dealer, try and use one that handles a lot of cars.

If one more visit fails, take it up directly with BMWUSA. You may want to take a video clip of you closing the tailgate, and if you have a camcorder with an external microphone, you might even be able to capture the sounds you mention. Visuals help catch people's attention quickly! Not suggesting you broadcast the video, but you can certainly let the BMW rep know, you will, if this is not fixed to the way it is supposed to be!

Chances are, one or more of the tailgate panels is outside the design tolerance limit and that is causing this issue. Replacing these panels should solve this problem. This assumes the dealer tech knew what he was doing and have adjusted it to the max possible!
I'll email/call BMW NA today. I have already been to 2 dealers - BMW North and Momentum here in houston and this was the 5th attempt. Is there a way to get tin touch directly with a BMW tech and not through the stealership?

Last edited by smuggymba; 10-13-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I'll email/call BMW NA today. I have already been to 2 dealers - BMW North and Momentum here in houston and this was the 5th attempt. Is there a way to get tin touch directly with a BMW tech and not through the stealership?
That's your problem. Momentum is the worst, and BMW North isn't much better. When I had a problem like this previously, I went to four different dealers, and none of them could fix it. Finally, I went to Advantage BMW in Midtown and they fixed it on the first attempt. I would never buy a car there, but their service department is good.

Make sure you tell them what is happening and what the other dealers have done (or not) to fix it. I would also request a face-to-face with the Service Manager, so they know you mean business.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:09 AM

I just emailed BMWNA and will wait for their response till tomorrow. No doubt momentum is worst - there was a half an inch gap between the upper and lower part when the SA said - have a nice day and went back in.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I just emailed BMWNA and will wait for their response till tomorrow. No doubt momentum is worst - there was a half an inch gap between the upper and lower part when the SA said - have a nice day and went back in.
Yes, they are just awful, apart from one lady there called Jolene. I feel bad for her because she actually knows her stuff.

Try Advantage Midtown while you are waiting for a response from BMWNA.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 2009
tailgate noise over bumps

I have the same problem ....I bought a 2009 X5 and can't get rid of the noise in the cargo area. I took it to the dealer 3 times already they can't fix it....... the latch on the lower tailgate is lose it moves back and forth...the funny thing is, I checked on other X5s are the same ...it looks are missing 2 bolts ....go figure? why is that? someone posted a picture on here.....what the hell?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5 35i
Sorry to say mine too. Truth is the electrical tape fix worked much better than dealer attempt. I put one full turn on right lower latch and one and a half on the center. Nothing on left. Not 100% perfect but much better. Try experimenting on your own and see how you like it.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 50i
This kind of thing blows my mind. These are $60-$80K vehicles and we're talking about a hinged door assembly. In 2013, it really shouldn't be a major engineering feat to build a rear hatch that fits properly, doesn't squeak, and opens/closes with ease.

My 2012 X5 50i doesn't have hatch rattles (thankfully), but the auto-open/close function works only about 90% of the time, just enough for the problem to never manifest itself in front of a service technician.

I picked up a 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser for my wife a few months ago, and the difference in overall build quality is like night and day. There are definitely some things about the BMW that are head and shoulders better than the LC, but it ain't the body/paint/interior fit. If BMW could pair up the iDrive/interior aesthetics, engine, and suspension with the Toyota build quality, they'd have one hell of a vehicle.

The hatch on the Land Cruiser sounds like you're closing a vault when you shut it. At this price point, that's the only way it should be.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
After fruitless trips to the dealer about creaking, I took matters into my own hands and adjusted the tailgate myself. It was misaligned from the factory. Details and pictures here:
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...r-hatch-4.html

Also using electrical tape for the creak during weight shift.