Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: vw
Considering X5 and Cayenne

I am planning to get an SUV in the next couple of months. It will be the first one in our family. So far I have been very happy with the 07 530i. Moving from car to truck would mean some sacrifice on handling and cornering, I am gradually making up my mind to get more comfortable with that.

Mainly, we are considering X5 and Cayenne. And planning to lease it - this is another area where I am very new. Today I called both dealerships and they are selling these vehicles so fast, that they have none for test drive. Vehicles are arriving pre-sold. The Porsche dealer said something which I found strange, "On base Cayenne with MSRP of 65K with options, and 20% down (yes so much down)", lease payments are $1200-1500/month!!!

Based on research so far, here are my thoughts on the vehicles

X5

• lightly loaded as base options are fairly ok
  • preferably the 5.0i (would be a good upgrade from 530i)
  • M-sport package
  • 3rd row seating
  • monthly payment < $900, can consider 3.5i or 35d if it breaks budget

Cayenne
  • Almost every 3rd car in my area is a luxury brand (MB, BMW, Audi, Lexus). So I like that Porsche are not everywhere on the road
  • preferably the S model (would be a good upgrade from 530i), otherwise I hear the V6 is also good (comparable to 530i)
  • Big wheels like 19s or 20s
  • 3rd row seating - this is a con
  • monthly payment < $900, can consider base if it breaks budget

Please share yoour thougths. Did you consider Cayenne? How much is your monthly payment? How do you feel about 35i vs 50i?

Thanks in advance.

Retired Nov 11 - 2007 530i, Sport, Premium, Step, Nav, Logic7, HD radio, PDC, Heated Seats
ED Pickup: 10th Aug 06, Dropoff: 22nd Aug 06, Redelivery: 15th Oct 06
ED Writeup
Ads by Google
Old 10-30-2011, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj View Post
I am planning to get an SUV in the next couple of months. It will be the first one in our family. So far I have been very happy with the 07 530i. Moving from car to truck would mean some sacrifice on handling and cornering, I am gradually making up my mind to get more comfortable with that.

Mainly, we are considering X5 and Cayenne. And planning to lease it - this is another area where I am very new. Today I called both dealerships and they are selling these vehicles so fast, that they have none for test drive. Vehicles are arriving pre-sold. The Porsche dealer said something which I found strange, "On base Cayenne with MSRP of 65K with options, and 20% down (yes so much down)", lease payments are $1200-1500/month!!!

Based on research so far, here are my thoughts on the vehicles

X5

• lightly loaded as base options are fairly ok
  • preferably the 5.0i (would be a good upgrade from 530i)
  • M-sport package
  • 3rd row seating
  • monthly payment < $900, can consider 3.5i or 35d if it breaks budget

Cayenne
  • Almost every 3rd car in my area is a luxury brand (MB, BMW, Audi, Lexus). So I like that Porsche are not everywhere on the road
  • preferably the S model (would be a good upgrade from 530i), otherwise I hear the V6 is also good (comparable to 530i)
  • Big wheels like 19s or 20s
  • 3rd row seating - this is a con
  • monthly payment < $900, can consider base if it breaks budget

Please share yoour thougths. Did you consider Cayenne? How much is your monthly payment? How do you feel about 35i vs 50i?

Thanks in advance.
To me, the Cayenne is simply a VW Toureg with a different badge. The base V6 model actually has a VW engine. The S at least uses a Porsche engine. When I drove the Porsche, I found the fit and finish to be of a lower standard than the X5. In fact, I'd probably consider the Toureg or Q7 superior than the Porsche in that one aspect.

I do think the Porsche looks great from the outside... Nice lines, and of course, it's a Porsche. However, I honestly think the X5 is a way better driving machine. The Range Rover Sport is also a nice car, but awful depreciation and reliability.

Good luck in your choice

Gone but not forgotten:
2008 E60 535i (Black Sapphire / Natural Brown)
2006 E90 330i (Jet Black / Sand Beige)
2003 E46 325i (Black Sapphire / Natural Brown)
Old 10-30-2011, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_UKTX View Post
To me, the Cayenne is simply a VW Toureg with a different badge.
That's exactly what I thought when I was considering my upgrade. And I was surprised to see people paying $50k for VW Touareg.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5, 1987 BMW 328
Quote:
To me, the Cayenne is simply a VW Toureg with a different badge. The base V6 model actually has a VW engine. The S at least uses a Porsche engine. When I drove the Porsche, I found the fit and finish to be of a lower standard than the X5. In fact, I'd probably consider the Toureg or Q7 superior than the Porsche in that one aspect.

I do think the Porsche looks great from the outside... Nice lines, and of course, it's a Porsche. However, I honestly think the X5 is a way better driving machine. The Range Rover Sport is also a nice car, but awful depreciation and reliability.

Good luck in your choice
drove the touareg for 6 months and sold it very quickly it did not please me what so ever honestly I think they did a very ****ty job on it
Old 11-02-2011, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Quote:

I

Good luck in your choice
LOL what?

The Porsche is built to a higher standard than the BMW. Sure, it's based on the Treg, but guess what? The Touareg is a better built car than the X5. Higher quality materials, fit and finish is superior, etc.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:02 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
LOL what?

The Porsche is built to a higher standard than the BMW. Sure, it's based on the Treg, but guess what? The Touareg is a better built car than the X5. Higher quality materials, fit and finish is superior, etc.
Interesting - can you provide data or basis for those assertions?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
No, they don't have data on the planet where he lives I thought about responding, but then realized the idiocy of the post speaks for itself.

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 11-02-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Go drive one and check out the interior. And no, I'm not a BMW/X5 hater. I actually bought one. I'm secure enough with my purchase to note the downfalls of the X5. Fit and Finish/Interior quality are definitely not BMW's forte. They are VW/Porsche/Audi's forté
Old 11-02-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Go drive one and check out the interior. And no, I'm not a BMW/X5 hater. I actually bought one. I'm secure enough with my purchase to note the downfalls of the X5. Fit and Finish/Interior quality are definitely not BMW's forte. They are VW/Porsche/Audi's forté
I'm sorry to say I completely disagree... But, as they say, opinions are like as*holes, everybody has one.

I personally think BMW's interior is a MUCH higher quality than VW, Audi and Porsche. I do, however, agree that their paint sucks.

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 11-03-2011, 05:34 AM

We considered a Toureg. We looked at a fully loaded one. Nice car but in my opinion the interior quality of the VW falls short of the BMW. The materials used didn't seem as expensive and it felt more sterile and boring to myself and the Mrs. Their version of the idrive system was also less refined IMO.But it is only an opinion.
We considered the Audi too, but the fact that NOBODY had one to even test tive OR even sit in was enough to knock Audi off the list. It was fun to tell the different dealers that called to tell us we could come and "see" someone elses car before delivery "no thanks, we bought an X5"....

Last edited by Dano18; 11-03-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
To me, the Cayenne is simply a VW Toureg with a different badge. The base V6 model actually has a VW engine. The S at least uses a Porsche engine.
The Cayenne is hardly a Touareg. Take a look at the curb weights (Porsche has dumped about 500 pounds thanks to lightweight aluminum and magnesium, when compared to the VW) and the suspension tuning is unique. The interior is all Porsche and the road manners are night and day.

Yes, the V6 is a VW mill -- cost savings to keep the price down. However, the V6 Cayenne will run circles around the Touareg and X5 on the track (model for model).

The Cayenne is safer than an X5 and more technically advanced. If my wife and I could afford the Cayenne, it would be in our driveway.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
The Cayenne is hardly a Touareg. Take a look at the curb weights (Porsche has dumped about 500 pounds thanks to lightweight aluminum and magnesium, when compared to the VW) and the suspension tuning is unique. The interior is all Porsche and the road manners are night and day.

Yes, the V6 is a VW mill -- cost savings to keep the price down. However, the V6 Cayenne will run circles around the Touareg and X5 on the track (model for model).

The Cayenne is safer than an X5 and more technically advanced. If my wife and I could afford the Cayenne, it would be in our driveway.

- Mike
Finally, some sense in this thread

I would be driving a Cayenne if they offered it with a TDI and it didn't cost so much
Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Like I said, you guys are entitled to your opinions... At the end of the day, I personally prefer the handling, looks, feel and performance of the X5. That's just me. I also feel that the interior of the X5 is higher quality. Obviously, you disagree, and that's OK

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 11-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Like I said, you guys are entitled to your opinions... At the end of the day, I personally prefer the handling, looks, feel and performance of the X5. That's just me. I also feel that the interior of the X5 is higher quality. Obviously, you disagree, and that's OK
I ordered a BMW... so I obviously feel the BMW X535d is a better value than the Cayenne V6 (I personally don't like the VW powerplant). While I like the Cayenne better, look where I put my money.

BTW, I spent the weekend with Porsche executives and engineers in Germany/Portugal (you don't want to know why, as you will all hate me). They asked me what SUV I finally ended up purchasing. I told them the X5 diesel... you could see them wince as they knew they would have had the sale had they offered a diesel in the States.

- Mike

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion. It's funny because I think you think its superior due to the roundel on the front, but guess what? It isn't. Not even remotely. The Porsche emblem carries so much more prestige.

It's funny how some BMW owners feel a sense of entitlement and start complaining and trashing the competition as if their ego is being harmed because some other BMW owners think a Porsche is better
Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Like I said, you guys are entitled to your opinions... At the end of the day, I personally prefer the handling, looks, feel and performance of the X5. That's just me.
I'll agree with you on looks. But handling, feel, and performance, the Cayenne runs circles around the X5
Old 11-03-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:

I would be driving a Cayenne if they offered it with a TDI and it didn't cost so much
If my sister had balls she'd be my brother... just kidding
Old 11-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:

I'm betting that the Cayenne will be offered in diesel in 2012... just watch.

- Mike

Old 11-03-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
I'm betting that the Cayenne will be offered in diesel in 2012... just watch.

- Mike
i guess I know what Im trading into soon?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: Two E39 Sports + an '11X5
We drove the Cayenne and did all the analysis before landing on the X5 ourselves. Not sure if you have children, but their input was important especially when it came to the comfort of the rear seat. Our 13 year old son was all excited about the prospect of adding a Porsche to the fleet until he rode in the back seat....absolutely hated it.

We found the panoramic sunroof in the X5 to be a very nice advantage over the Cayenne too.

'00 528 M-Sport
'01 530 M-Sport
'11 X5d
Old 10-31-2011, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Sur, make sure that you actually drive a NEW Porsche Cayenne. The new one is vastly improved over previous years' -- it is a significant difference. Many folks who have poor opinions of the Cayenne are referring to their experiences with previous years V6. The GTS, and Turbo Cayennes have always been good. The knock that it is a rebadged T-egg just doesn't hold water. So then would be the Q7 which is clearly not, even though Audi (like Porsche now) is a member of the VW group. Yes, they have the same basic body shell and some chassis parts but Porsche adds their own touch. At some point the new Porsche V6, the one used in the Panamera, will find its way into the base Cayenne and at that point it will be hard to knock it as a badge job. The new X5 50 turbo will be faster than the S Cayenne, but not by that much. The base X5 30 turbo is also faster than the base Cayenne. However the X5's are thick on the ground up in your area, as they are here in the valley, so it seems like you are seeing yourself around every corner. Parking in a mall lot around here becomes an exercise in finding your own X5 amidst the herd. Cayennes OTOH are still fairly unique and actually turn heads in this car jaded area. It is your choice and drive them all, including the new ML, CTS-V wagon and FX50 to see what you like and what fits you best. Cayennes are Porsches and to many that does make a difference.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Sur, make sure that you actually drive a NEW Porsche Cayenne. The new one is vastly improved over previous years' -- it is a significant difference. Many folks who have poor opinions of the Cayenne are referring to their experiences with previous years V6. The GTS, and Turbo Cayennes have always been good. The knock that it is a rebadged T-egg just doesn't hold water. So then would be the Q7 which is clearly not, even though Audi (like Porsche now) is a member of the VW group. Yes, they have the same basic body shell and some chassis parts but Porsche adds their own touch. At some point the new Porsche V6, the one used in the Panamera, will find its way into the base Cayenne and at that point it will be hard to knock it as a badge job. The new X5 50 turbo will be faster than the S Cayenne, but not by that much. The base X5 30 turbo is also faster than the base Cayenne. However the X5's are thick on the ground up in your area, as they are here in the valley, so it seems like you are seeing yourself around every corner. Parking in a mall lot around here becomes an exercise in finding your own X5 amidst the herd. Cayennes OTOH are still fairly unique and actually turn heads in this car jaded area. It is your choice and drive them all, including the new ML, CTS-V wagon and FX50 to see what you like and what fits you best. Cayennes are Porsches and to many that does make a difference.
I actually drove the NEW Cayenne, and still felt that fit and finish was poor. The car drives nicely, although it felt VERY heavy (could be due to the VW V6). I'm sure the "S" drives much better.

I also agree that the Q7 is essentially a Toureg under the skin. That's not a slam - I think the Toureg is a lovely vehicle. In fact, of the three I think it offers the best choice of engines and has the best looks, but that's just my two cents. Unfortunately, it's the dismal reliability that scares me away. Also VW, Audi and Porsche's lease programs can't touch BMW. Right now, you could lease an X5 50i for about $800 per month. Try doing that with a Q7 or Cayenne.

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: Panamera 4 V6, X5d, E320
I have tested the X53.5, 5.0, D, ML 2012 (350 and new diesel), and Cayenne V6, S and Hybrid at length and have chosen an X5d. Never interested in the Rover since I do do not want to deal with the lack of dependability and high fix-it costs.

I completely disagree that the Cayenne V6 is a Toureg with a Porsche badge. Drove both and there is NO comparison. That is just plain silly. The Cayennes have the best interior of any of these. I would put the ML second, and X5 a very close 3rd (likely a tie depending on what you appreciate in this area). Porsche is just plain beautiful. I have a Panamera and it is the same interior - just great. The V6 Cayenne is rides great and has better ride and power than the ML or 3.5. Cannot compare the V6 to the 5.0. The latter would be a much better ride overall and more powerful. The option choices in all Porsches are mind blowing! Too many and too expensive for all their models. If they had a diesel in the US they would be a slam dunk!

If you drive the Cayenne S it is more powerful than the 5.0 and certainly the 3.5 or ML. The hybrid is a great combination and extremely pwowerful. Drives very similar to the X5d and feels extremely quick off the line. Overall the hybrid is much better than the V6.

The new ML 350 and diesel are very nice. Luxurious inside and some nice new technology changes. The increase in power in both engines is very nice and they ride like a typical MB compared to BMW - softer ride and smooth. Not the exilirating ride that you get from a BMW. They are all extremely comfortable and nice in the interior. I waited to make my decision on ML vs X5 based on the power increases in the 2012. Decided against the ML due to the fact that they just looked too "mundane and soccer mom-like" - my wife's words!

This is how I would rate them:
1. Looks (exterior): Cayenne, X5 > ML >Rover
2. Looks (interior): Cayenne> X5=ML> Rover
3. Engine: S > Hybrid Cayenne > 5.0 =X5d > 3.5 = ML diesel> ML 350
4. Fun to drive: Cayenne hybrid or S > 5.0=X5d > ML diesel > ML350 = Cayenne V6
5. Cost of ownership: Rover >> Cayennes >+> MB >+ BMW
6. Overall value: BMW > MB > Cayenne > Rover ----- Value is defined as Quality divided by Cost. In the case of BMW a combination of high quality and mod cost, same for MB, Porsche is very high quality but also a disproportionate high cost, Rover is low quality overall compared to the others and high cost.

In the end we picked the X5d for the best overall value. If money was no object I think I would have chosen the Cayenne S or Hybrid. But the purchase cost of both of these is in my opinion extremely high for SUV/SAV for the purpose of how I would use it. The S gest pretty low gas mileage compared to the ML or X5 (similar to the 5.0).

The X5d was the perfect choice in my situation considering initial cost, maintenance costs, mileage, fun to drive, looks and overall value. I guess that is what would be considered compromise!

Then again opinions are like "you know what" and everyone has one!

Last edited by Gaucho; 10-31-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 10-31-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho View Post
I completely disagree that the Cayenne V6 is a Toureg with a Porsche badge. Drove both and there is NO comparison. That is just plain silly.
I'm afraid that's my opinion and while you may think its "silly" I'm afraid that you're in the minority, as many people feel the same way.

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: Panamera 4 V6, X5d, E320
Quote:
I'm afraid that's my opinion and while you may think its "silly" I'm afraid that you're in the minority, as many people feel the same way.
This is the same argument for those that say that a Lexus is just a Toyota in drag or an Infinity a Nissan in drag. The basic frame may be the same but hardly the same car. Most of the components are higher quality and upgraded. That is just ridiculous. This was likely brought on by the American car manufacturers as these premium lines started to come out and compete with those from GM and others.

By the same token it is like saying that a steak from Flemmings, Mortons, or any other high end steakhouse is the same as the one you buy packaged at the corner grocery store. They are both meat and that is where the commonality ends.