Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 11-08-2011, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 740i Sport
01 740i sport- engine problem

So the other day i noticed that my car was shaking really bad when I was stopped at a red light light. like a vibration throughout my whole car. Then things just got worst from there, that night my check engine light comes on and the car literally shakes in park. You can see the motor shaking and my doors moving up and down. I took it to autozone and had the codes read, (p1351, p1343, p1345, and p1341) These we mostly misfire with fuel cut off in the cylinders. My dad thought it was the spark plugs, or coils and we replaced all plugs and the coils relating to the code. This did nothing. Now when the car is revved, smoke pours out of the exhaust and we don't know what it could be. Any advice or ideas?
Ads by Google
Old 11-09-2011, 05:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
I would start with:
- checking spark plugs and while I'm there check the coils if they are soaking in oil. It is very common on this engine to have the valve cover leaking oil and fooling the spark plugs.
- check MAF , (disconnect and start the engine see if runs better)
-check for vacuum leaks (with the engine running spray with braking cleaner around intake and intake boot and see for any change in idle)
Any smokey starts?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:52 AM

Ok, I will try these when I get home. Im at school now. I did some searching on the Internet and would this problem have anything to do with Oil seperation valve? I searched on the forum and someone was having the same problems as me and they were talking about an OSV. But I will check these out first. Thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 04:24 PM

So I looked for smoke when i came home from school today and there was none that i noticed, the car does sputter alot though

The spark Plugs had a bit of oil on some of them but it wasnt alot.
I noticed that when my engine is running and i have the oil dibstick out, there is a gurgling sound coming from it and its sucking in air. would this be a vacuum leak causing all of these problems?
I didnt do the MAF check yet, mainly because I am new to looking at cars and I dont want to unplug the wrong thing.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by isitonu33 View Post
I noticed that when my engine is running and i have the oil dibstick out, there is a gurgling sound coming from it and its sucking in air.
The gurgling sound might be a sign of a shot CCV (not OSV , that's behind the timing chain).
CCV -AKA- rear cover of the intake is in the diagram here in post # 4 http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=534472. If shot replace the pipe and all O-rings related to it. Buy an OEM part, around $65-$75 just for CCV, pipe $17 , o-rings some change...
Another reference http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=575364

MAF-

Old 11-11-2011, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i sport 2006 m6
shaking

It sounds like the MAF to me when mine went bad thats exactly the symptoms I had and it came on suddenly
Old 11-11-2011, 04:34 PM

I unplugged the MAF and it did drop the rpms to a little over 550 but the severe shaking of the engine and the whole car did not lessen at all. The sound of the engine did not imporove either. I don't know what to do next. Im going to make a video sometime tomorrow of the shaking and the sounds that it makes when i rev it. I will post tomorrow hopefully. thanks for all of the input.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 1989/1991 E30; 2000 E38
Have you checked the OSV yet? My money is on the OSV. You have all of the symptoms: Oil, smoke, and rough idle....

Big Boyz with Bad Toyz.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 740I sport
when I bought my 740 2000 sport same problem. valve cover gaskets replace all the hoses under the manifold spark plugs as well and the culprit is the OSV valve at the back of the manifold its a bitch but you have to replace all the related parts to get it right and check the O2 sensors they burn up when coated in oil also when you take the intake off tip on end for a while to drain the oil out of it.