Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-30-2011, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3, 2001 330Ci
X3 3.0 CEL and codes P0171 & P0174

OK, so last week I procured a 2006 X3 and about 100 mi into the 250 mi drive home... it lit the SES light. Mileage was great; about 26 on the highway, running smooth and no apparent issues, so I figured it was a camshaft position sensor.
Ran it by autozone and find the codes are P0171 & P0174 indicating lean condition on bank 1&2.
So, I picked up an intake boot and put it on a couple of days ago. The old one had some cracks on the smaller offshoot tube ( I guess that's for the idle speed controller?). No gaping holes, but it definitely needed to be replaced.
I've driven it about 100 mi since then and the CEL light is still on. So the $30 solution didn't fix the problem.
In the course of changing the boot, I had to remove the DISA and all looked well with it; it's intact and the diaphragm doesn't seem to be ruptured.
The car has about 100k miles; runs and idles great, so I'm pretty sure there is no major vac leak.
What's the next thing I should look at? I'd suspect the o2 sensors and, but it seems unlikely to me that they would both fail at the same time.
Is there any way to check the MAF? I thought about swapping it with my 330, but the MAF is different...

Last edited by wamcneil; 12-30-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2011, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I have an '05 X3 with 100,000 miles and also just had a code p0171 fixed this week. The car seemed to be running okay (normal acceleration and mpg), but did have a vacuum leak. The repair shop replaced the crankcase vent valve, throttle body gasket, oil seperator hose, and three breather hoses. I'm not sure if the service engine soon light will go off by itself without a reset from an OBD tool. I'm sure someone else can answer that one. Just FYI, the repair took 5 hours and set me back $690 at an indie shop.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 PM

I think I'd rather explore any additional hose leaking issues like you've described before buying any expensive electronic bits!
Anybody have suggestions for trying to verify that some hose may be the issue?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
I would say CCV is the next course of action unfortunately. Did you clean your IACV? Thats worth a shot, also check your MAF maybe.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamcneil View Post
OK, so last week I procured a 2006 X3 and about 100 mi into the 250 mi drive home... it lit the SES light. Mileage was great; about 26 on the highway, running smooth and no apparent issues, so I figured it was a camshaft position sensor.
Ran it by autozone and find the codes are P0171 & P0174 indicating lean condition on bank 1&2.
So, I picked up an intake boot and put it on a couple of days ago. The old one had some cracks on the smaller offshoot tube ( I guess that's for the idle speed controller?). No gaping holes, but it definitely needed to be replaced.
I've driven it about 100 mi since then and the CEL light is still on. So the $30 solution didn't fix the problem.
In the course of changing the boot, I had to remove the DISA and all looked well with it; it's intact and the diaphragm doesn't seem to be ruptured.
The car has about 100k miles; runs and idles great, so I'm pretty sure there is no major vac leak.
What's the next thing I should look at? I'd suspect the o2 sensors and, but it seems unlikely to me that they would both fail at the same time.
Is there any way to check the MAF? I thought about swapping it with my 330, but the MAF is different...
Before doing any other repairs I would suggest to clear the codes first and see if the light comes back. In my case the CEL had to be reset after I fixed the intake boot leak.

Last edited by kirasir; 12-30-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirasir View Post
Before doing any other repairs I would suggest to clear the codes first and see if the light comes back. In my case the CEL had to be reset after I fixed the intake boot leak.
This appears to be the case for me also! I got an OBD cable and cleared the codes this afternoon, so far about 20 mi and no new error codes.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
50-100 miles is a full drive cycle
Old 01-16-2012, 06:50 AM

Does that mean I shouldn't expect the light to come back on for 50-100 mi if there is still a fault condition?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
If your code reader is sophisticated enough it might allow you to pull pending codes that get registered much quicker. Only once the code is confirmed it trigger the CEL

As others mentioned the crankcase ventilation system is another known source of vacuum leaks. I went through your exact same process...

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 01-16-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
So after many years of trouble-free motoring and a quick trip to TN, my X3 has stumbled across the same problem. After filling up in TN and driving 4 hours home, I've been noticing a slight irratic idle, occasional "squeaks" coming from the engine bay from the vicinity of all the DISA valve/intake boot area. On my way to Autozone to pull some error codes, the SES light illuminated, how timely. Same two codes as above. No drivability changes although the squeaking can be heard while driving sometimes. I visually checked what I could see of the intake snorkel but didn't see anything obvious.

I don't have the tools, space, or technical skills/knowhow to start taking apart stuff in my apartment complex, so I guess it's off cross-town to the BMW indy shop.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 5
mine was maf sensor replaced under warranty. You could try cleaning it

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=p0174
Old 04-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
mine was maf sensor replaced under warranty. You could try cleaning it

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=p0174
That is possible- I opened up the engne air filter to see how dirty it was. The heavy pollen season shows; even a light tap on the filter emitted a puff of green pollen, and I repeatedly tapped the filter and tons of pollen/dust came up. Records show I replaced the filter just 40.000km (25k miles) ago last May. I'll buy a can of the MAF cleaner and try cleaning, do you think it's worth throwing money at a new air filter too?

Also, I have not replaced the O sensors yet but based on my searches, this isn't a likely cause for those two codes.

Given that there are no driveabiliy issues, is this something that I need to get done ASAP to avoid damage?

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 04-15-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:53 AM

From what I've read it is certainly possible for a dirty MAF to cause this condition, but if that car has 100k mi and hasn't had the intake boot replaced, it is likely the culprit. IMHO....
I've got two cars with the 3.0, both threw those codes at one point, and both needed intake boots.
There's a small offshoot of the boot that splits off for the idle air valve, I believe. That's where my cracks were on the X3, not on the larger bellows. As hard as I tried, I could not see cracks before removing it from the car, so the boot looked good and I was not super-confidant the boot was indeed the issue. But it was. The boot is very thin and the rubber is subject to degradation, so it gets brittle over time and it cracks between the bellows.
On the x3, I had to clear the codes, they did not reset themselves after having fixed the boot, even after driving several hundred miles. So, don't expect the codes to go away on their own...

Last edited by wamcneil; 04-16-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 AM

If you're going to clean the MAF, you might as well replace the air filter; at almost a year and 25k due for replacement anyway.
The urgency of this is up to you of course, but I wasn't in a huge hurry to get mine taken care of. I reasoned that if the engine was running smoothly and fuel mileage didn't change, that was a pretty good indication that the engine management system was continuing to meter fuel properly despite the condition.
If it's just an intake leak, the engine is going to trim the fuel metering according to the O2 sensors, so the mixture will wind up right in the end; it's just that the engine's MAF data doesn't match the O2 data and that makes the code.
Like you said, it's unlikely that both O2 sensors would fail simultaneously, so I think these codes generally indicate an intake leak. It's easy and cheap to pull the MAF out and clean it though, so that's a good place to start.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Thanks for the responses. I'm tempted to put off the repair but at the same time the chirping/squeaking noise (and my general OCDness about warning lights) means I'll try to slot in a repair sometime in the next month. It's a bit of a pain to drop it off at the indy shop all the way in Raleigh, pay $70/day for a rental car, and go about my school and other errands.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Repairs done, big hit on the chequebook...

Dropped it off at the indy shop in Raleigh yesterday afternoon for them to diagnose and fix today. They performed a smoke test and noted a large vacuum leak, replaced the DISA valve unit. Retested and found no more leaks. Total cost was near $497, including the $95 diagnostic charge and $240 for the part- it fails so regularly that they keep it in stock. I asked to see the old part; it had disintegrated upon removal but it was surprisingly filthy and def looked beyond its life. So far the car drives fine, if anything a drop in fuel consumption. Guess I need to cool my jets a bit on the backroads...the day before I'd been playing catch up with a E93 M3.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0
Question Trying to Diagnose a few issues.

I bought a 2004 x3 3.0 back in July of 2009. Seemed to run ok, but after a couple weeks my SES light turned on. Ever since then it has been on and I keep on getting different codes and issues with the car.

To start: Idle rpms would move from about 1000 to about 2500, then drop and start all over. I assumed vacum leak. Saw that the small hoes comming off my intake book was almost broken in half, replaced entire intake boot and that seemed to solve that problem. ow I am getting codes for to lean bank 1 & 2, rough idle, sluggish performance, rmp higher than expected, and multiple misfire codes. My average mpg is about 16 city right now according to the car, but I dont know how accurate that is. Also, as far as I am aware, there is no white smoke comming from my tailpipe or blue smoke, but there is oil on the head of 1 of my spark plugs, I beleive the #3 cylinder.

After reading a bunch of posts and threads I am thinking it could be a bad or failing oil separator. I live in Denver CO so it gets pretty cold here in the winter. Usually my trips to work 5 days a week are 30min or less, with shorter drives to the store mixed in. Would the faulty separator cause all of these issues, or most of them. I want to get this fixed without spending a bunch of money.

Any help is appreciated thanks!!