Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 750i
Dension GW500 - almost there but a couple gremlins

Okay, I just completed the install of the Gateway 500 in my 2005 750i. It seems to work as advertised except for the fact I do not get the title of the currently playing track scrolling at the bottom of the iDrive display.

As I have the facelift car I expected this to work as I have seen from videos posted of installs in cars similar to mine.

As you can see on the video, a few seconds after I have started playback of a track after browsing by way of the iDrive, all the track names on the list are replaced with "ERROR". If I hit "back" the list is restored but I still do not get the track info displayed.

I have updated the gateway with the latest firmware - at least I think so, it seemed to read from the flash drive I connected but the file that is supposed to be placed on the drive indicating a successful update never appeared.

This is not a deal breaker for me as I will not be playing music stored on the iPhone - I stream music to it instead in iPhone UI mode - but I do plan on connecting a hard drive to the USB port in which case I would like to be able to see the "now playing" information.

Any ideas? I have contacted Denison support but so far no response.

[media]
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 AM

I think I have figured out the problem. I discovered that what the display shows when playing MP3 CDs is the file name, not the ID tag information.*So because my car was built on 28.2.2005 and is a very early facelift E65, I suspect the car is not coded for MP3 playback even though the CD changer is able to play MP3s. So the iDrive does not recognize the ID3 tags.

I need to find out how I can re-code the car.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post
I think I have figured out the problem. I discovered that what the display shows when playing MP3 CDs is the file name, not the ID tag information.*So because my car was built on 28.2.2005 and is a very early facelift E65, I suspect the car is not coded for MP3 playback even though the CD changer is able to play MP3s. So the iDrive does not recognize the ID3 tags.

I need to find out how I can re-code the car.

That may very well be the case as BMW puts the build date of 03/05 as the start of MP3 capabilities. How do you like the Dension Unit? Is it fast and responsive or is it dreadfully slow? I've been wanting to get it for a while but no one here has posted really how well it works.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
That may very well be the case as BMW puts the build date of 03/05 as the start of MP3 capabilities. How do you like the Dension Unit? Is it fast and responsive or is it dreadfully slow? I've been wanting to get it for a while but no one here has posted really how well it works.
I've only had it for a couple of days but I'd say so far I am pleased with it. It does what I need. Remember this is about enabling an audio system from 5-6 years ago to handle the formats and storage media of today and pulling that off is pretty impressive IMO.

On my facelift iDrive the browsing of iDevices and USB storage is snappy, simple and effective. Audio quality is great (I have Logic7), it's no match for the Bose system in my CTS-V but for a German car it is better than expected.

I have heard the Denison described as a kludge but I think it is much better than that.

I bought a 250GB Verbatim 1.8" PocketDrive but it is not recognized. Might be that the Denison cannot provide enough juice over the USB link. Regular flash drives work well.

And again I primarily use it for playing music streamed to the iPhone so I use the Denison in "iPod UI" mode where browsing is done on the iPhone. I can still use the steering wheel buttons, though.

If I can get the "now playing" information to show up I will wholeheartedly recommend the Denison.

Last edited by politby; 01-02-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 E65 750i Sport
Bluetooth

Hello PB

does the unit have the ability as is or with an add on component to handle phone calls ?

DL
Old 01-03-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord View Post
Hello PB

does the unit have the ability as is or with an add on component to handle phone calls ?

DL
Yep, they have a Bluetooth module that will do phone calls, phonebook sync and also A2DP. It's approx $100 I believe. It integrates the phone with iDrive but you need to install an extra microphone.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:07 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li BMW X5 4.8iS
I think that it is only the genuine BMW iPod retrofit kit that will show the song names scrolling on the bottom. I didn't think the Denison did that at all.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFX View Post
I think that it is only the genuine BMW iPod retrofit kit that will show the song names scrolling on the bottom. I didn't think the Denison did that at all.
Maybe you are right. I have looked at some videos posted on youtube, such as this one:

where it seems the track info is displayed just once after selection and the display then reverts to CD#/track#.

Mine doesn't even do that, but for it to be useful it would have to be scrolling continuously. Bummer - when you have 1000s of tracks on an iDevice or USB storage, not being able to see what is playing is not good.

Fine when you can run the iDevice in UI mode - i.e select tracks on the iPhone and have it display the now playing info, but that doesn't help when playing off USB.

Thank God for Audiogalaxy streaming and Windows Home Server.

Ace, that shot of your car is that along the Great Ocean Road? It's awesome. First time I was in Melbourne I didn't even know it existed and I took someone's advice to go for a drive to Port Campbell... man was that a great surprise experience!
Old 01-04-2012, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post
Maybe you are right. I have looked at some videos posted on youtube, such as this one:

where it seems the track info is displayed just once after selection and the display then reverts to CD#/track#.

Mine doesn't even do that, but for it to be useful it would have to be scrolling continuously. Bummer - when you have 1000s of tracks on an iDevice or USB storage, not being able to see what is playing is not good.

Fine when you can run the iDevice in UI mode - i.e select tracks on the iPhone and have it display the now playing info, but that doesn't help when playing off USB.

Thank God for Audiogalaxy streaming and Windows Home Server.

Ace, that shot of your car is that along the Great Ocean Road? It's awesome. First time I was in Melbourne I didn't even know it existed and I took someone's advice to go for a drive to Port Campbell... man was that a great surprise experience!
Quick question, in Idevice UI mode, how long does it take to load your ipod as soon as you plug it in? Also can your browse the ipod on the car AND the phone at the same time? I have a USA-SPEC in my TL and you can do both at the same time and it takes only a few seconds to load. I remember a lot of folks were disapointed with the BMW interface because it took a LONG time to load up the songs, and I can understand that since I have an iphone now and just want to plug it in and go!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
Quick question, in Idevice UI mode, how long does it take to load your ipod as soon as you plug it in? Also can your browse the ipod on the car AND the phone at the same time? I have a USA-SPEC in my TL and you can do both at the same time and it takes only a few seconds to load. I remember a lot of folks were disapointed with the BMW interface because it took a LONG time to load up the songs, and I can understand that since I have an iphone now and just want to plug it in and go!
In device UI mode the next/prev track buttons on the steering wheel work (and volume of course) but you cannot browse the content using the iDrive, you have to do that on the iPhone.

Nothing is loaded in device UI mode so there is no delay. In gateway mode the Denison has to create/load the index from the phone. I do not use the phone to store music so I just tested with a couple of albums loaded and there was no noticeable lag.

With USB devices you can create an index on a PC which is then read by the Denison. The indexing program can be downloaded from the Denison site. I have 1,300 tracks on a USB stick plugged in now and browsing through them is very fast. But the absence of "now playing" info is a drawback.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li BMW X5 4.8iS
Right on Politby.....that is along the Great Ocean Road. It is a great drive all the way from Torquay to Port Campbell. Many people who come to Australia make the point of driving this great road. I go down there as often as I can just to enjoy the spectacular views and enjoy a great drive. That photo was only taken a few months ago. I was parked near a place called Eastern View looking south when I took this photo.