Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:34 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li BMW X5 4.8iS
Reprogramming your MMI (front screen)

Hey all....

I have successfully worked out how to control and program all features of the MMI using the Dashsoft Tool v2.10 that I bought off eBay.

I can easily program my MMI to SHOW or to NOT SHOW virtually every aspect of the MMI.

So far I have found that most of the commands are written into command line 3002 of the MMI in ASCII code.

eg. if I change pos1: change 55 to 5F, the MMI will now show DVD and L7, pos2: change 0A to 2E and it shows front seat heating, pos4: change 8C to 49 and it will show Bluetooth, pos8: change 00 to D0 and it shows DTC, pos9: change 00 to 8F and it shows AUX, etc.....

I can control the MMI showing CDC, TV, DVD, AUX, CBS, OIL Level, BLUETOOTH, REAR MONITOR, DTC, EDC, DSC, Menu functions, Front Seat Heating Left and Right, L7, to name a few.

So if you have this tool, and you need to activate something, let me know and I will share the codes I have worked out so far to help you.

Ace

Last edited by AceFX; 01-04-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008/2011 750Li
Thanks AceFX. Will try it tonight. I'm using NCS Expert so it's a little bit different but the same basic principal that you have pointed out.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 750I
I took a look at the MMI .trc file and I found the options below. I dont have TV or DVD. I am wondering what would happen if I activate the TV option here. My end goal would be to add in a DVD changer and the do the video on the move mod so I can have video on my front screen without needing the rear entertainment hardware. I dont see why this cant work in theory

OELSTAND
aktiv
DTC_BUTTON
aktiv
HARDKEY_ASK
aktiv
KLIMA_AUTO
aktiv
MP3
aktiv
RDS
aktiv
TV
nicht_aktiv
NIVI
nicht_aktiv
LUFTVER
nicht_aktiv
SMS
nicht_aktiv
Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFEL750I View Post
I took a look at the MMI .trc file and I found the options below. I dont have TV or DVD. I am wondering what would happen if I activate the TV option here. My end goal would be to add in a DVD changer and the do the video on the move mod so I can have video on my front screen without needing the rear entertainment hardware. I dont see why this cant work in theory

OELSTAND
aktiv
DTC_BUTTON
aktiv
HARDKEY_ASK
aktiv
KLIMA_AUTO
aktiv
MP3
aktiv
RDS
aktiv
TV
nicht_aktiv
NIVI
nicht_aktiv
LUFTVER
nicht_aktiv
SMS
nicht_aktiv
what software or tool did you use to get the MMI TRC file ???

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 01-04-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
what software or tool did you use to get the MMI TRC file ???
This is the TRC from my MMI using NCS Expert....I have a facelift ....I would suspect that your pre facelift would have different options.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Banned

Hey DFEL750I.......
if you get this tool of eBay or from the sellers web site www.ecusells.com you just plug it in, read the MMI coding, go to command line 3002 and very simply edit the ASCII code. You won't 'brick' it!
You will see other options become available as you change the code. It really is quite simple.
In addition to making all the features of my car work on the MMI I have also added to my MMI the following AUX, OIL Level, Check Control and Bluetooth.

I wish I owned the company that makes this tool........there is no reward in this for me......

I experimented heaps with it. I added things, I removed things, I continually changed the information on my MMI and it didn't falter once. it just followed whatever commands I gave it....

Last edited by AceFX; 01-04-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFX View Post
Hey DFEL750I.......
if you get this tool of eBay or from the sellers web site www.ecusells.com you just plug it in, read the MMI coding, go to command line 3002 and very simply edit the ASCII code. You won't 'brick' it!
You will see other options become available as you change the code. It really is quite simple.
In addition to making all the features of my car work on the MMI I have also added to my MMI the following AUX, OIL Level, Check Control and Bluetooth.

I wish I owned the company that makes this tool........there is no reward in this for me......

I experimented heaps with it. I added things, I removed things, I continually changed the information on my MMI and it didn't falter once. it just followed whatever commands I gave it....
are you getting those commands in the MMI on the audio section or other sections? I have most of those on my 760 like the oil level (like any other 7) and the heated seat controls and what-not. Are they getting added to their respective sub-sections like under climate or car or what?

Dude, you are the man! As far as not getting any benefits, you are helping out a BUNCH of people and you can probably sell your services in Australia.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Hey DFEL750I.......

Thanks. I will look to see if I can do this using NCS expert. I have not looked at other coding software but my assumption is that all of them are just GUIs that talk to the BMW edibas server software that actually talk to the modules. My engineering assumption is that there are a bunch of APIs for the EDIBAS server software platform that different developers are using to create their own GUIs. I suspect that the options in my TRC file can be changed to get to the same results using NCS expert. You have all these options because you have the facelift MMI. As you know the MMI is the brain of idrive and with the updated MMI you can now pull additional info through the SZL gateway from other computers on the network like DME etc.

I really haven't had too much time to dig into all of this like you have but we have some great minds on here and I think we can do a lot more in the future. Hopefully I will have more time to dig into things myself to help advance the knowledge we have on here.

For NCS expert which I use when you read the module the coding is pulled in a metadata file (ASCII) which is converted to human readable options using a "profile" (most common one being the pfister profile). You then are left with a standard text file with options like what I included in my first post in this thread where you can make all the read options available active or not active. Once you make your changes to the text file the coding changes are written to the respective module.

The limitations of NCS expert is really what options the profile being used allows the user to change in the metadata file. I am pretty sure more detailed changes can be made if someone understood how to make changes to the metadata file directly without bricking something.

Those with the facelift MMI already have all these options in the MMI turned on like oil, bluetooth etc.

Last edited by DFEL750I; 01-04-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: '05 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFEL750I View Post
The limitations of NCS expert is really what options the profile being used allows the user to change in the metadata file. I am pretty sure more detailed changes can be made if someone understood how to make changes to the metadata file directly without bricking something.
Google "NCSDummy"
The developer has been sucessful making changes to the metadata file. Powerful stuff.

E65/E66 Parts for Sale:
Alpina Type 743 Front Spoiler complete retrofit kit (new in box) $1200
71 60 6 770 096 WARNING TRIANGLE WITHOUT CONTAINER $40
51 16 7 028 437 & 438 MIRROR GLASS HEATED PLANE LEFT & RIGHT, ELECTROCHROM
65 82 6 950 069 CONTROL DISPLAY (8.8") $200
Old 01-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Banned

Hey csmeance......
changing this coding adds the features to the MMI menu items.
As far as OIL level goes, my car is a pre-facelift and it didn't show OIL Level, but now I have activated that and now I have it. Also with the front seat heating, again my car being a pre-facelift, I couldn't adjust to where the heating would bias too, e.g. more to your back or more to your bum.......now I have that additional control to alter the bias of the seat heating.
Adding AUX gave me an additional input and also my car didn't have BLUETOOTH, now I do!
In the Audio section, yes, I have now FM, AM, CD, CDC(iPod), AUX, TV, DVD, PICTURE and TONE(which takes me to the L7)

Cheers

Ace
Old 01-04-2012, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 E65 750i Sport
Hey Ace

Maybe i missed it but when you say you added aux & bluetooth is that just heading's in the menu that are dimmed out because they dont actually exist ?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:36 PM
jenkx

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Hey csmeance......
As far as OIL level goes, my car is a pre-facelift and it didn't show OIL Level, but now I have activated that and now I have it. Also with the front seat heating, again my car being a pre-facelift, I couldn't adjust to where the heating would bias too, e.g. more to your back or more to your bum.......now I have that additional control to alter the bias of the seat heating.
Adding AUX gave me an additional input and also my car didn't have BLUETOOTH, now I do!
In the Audio section, yes, I have now FM, AM, CD, CDC(iPod), AUX, TV, DVD, PICTURE and TONE(which takes me to the L7)

Cheers

Ace

Are you saying that all you had to do was activate bluetooth and it started working?!?!?!? Did you have to add an additional module or anything? I have the BTU-thingy but I'd lie to be able to have bluetooth without it. I plan to do the facelift soon and add the iPhone 4 adapter.

Last edited by jenkx; 01-09-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:37 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkx View Post
Are you saying that all you had to do was activate bluetooth and it started working?!?!?!? Did you have to add an additional module or anything? I have the BTU-thingy but I'd lie to be able to have bluetooth without it. I plan to do the facelift soon and add the iPhone 4 adapter.
WE ARE WoRKING ON THAT NOW . SO FAR YOU NEED THE TCU , BLUETOOTH ANTENNA ,
NEWER CRADLE , & SOME WIRING NEEDS TO BE MODIFIED . IM SURE THERE IS MORE .
WE STILL NEED TO FIGURE THE REST OUT .

Old 08-10-2012, 01:12 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Need Some Helpful Info

Good morning i was told your the man with the smarts on here, i bought a 2003 BMW 745LI dark grey real clean and was kept up with only 84,000 miles on it, heres what i have done so far i update the nav maps to 2010 but i want to do it all, add a option for usb and ipod and dvd and i dont understand what MMI is, but im thinking its the main menu options i want to update that as well, what all do i need and can you help i was told people could pay for your services I'm knew to all this but pretty computer educated, your help would be greatly appreciated Sir
Old 08-30-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Hey csmeance......

Cheers

Ace
Hey Ace, does your Oil Level on your MMI actually work, or does it show the perpetual "updating" like I have and many others seem to have? Unless I missed something, it doesn't seem like anyone has answered this question or confirmed one way or another that it works in a pre-facelift car with the new MMI. If yours is working then do we all need to change out the oil level sensor or something to a post facelift e65 e66?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Quote:
Originally Posted by JML6278 View Post
Hey Ace, does your Oil Level on your MMI actually work, or does it show the perpetual "updating" like I have and many others seem to have? Unless I missed something, it doesn't seem like anyone has answered this question or confirmed one way or another that it works in a pre-facelift car with the new MMI. If yours is working then do we all need to change out the oil level sensor or something to a post facelift e65 e66?

Thanks,

Jeff
Ace does work. When Paper install my units he tried to get mine to work but nothing. So I had help from Ace with mines an he was finally able to get it too work.

Last edited by Rookie2008; 08-30-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie2008 View Post
Ace does work. When Paper install my units he tried to get mine to work but nothing. So I had help from Ace with mines an he was finally able to get it too work.
WHEN I INSTALLED YOUR MMI , I DID NOT DO ANYTHING TO TRY &
GET YOUR OIL LEVEL METER WORKING ON YOUR MMI !!!

ALL I DID WAS WHAT YOU ASKED & CODED THE FEATURES YOUR
CAR HAD , CAUSE THEY WERE MISSING FROM THE USED MMI YOU
PURCHASED .

ONCE AGAIN I DID NOT DO ANYTHING TO TRY & GET THE OIL LEVEL
METER WORKING , NOR DID I CLAIM TOo .

Old 08-31-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie2008 View Post
Rookie, do you know what was done other than activating the oil level menu to the MMI? I have already done that months ago and it still says updating whenever I check on it.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-31-2012, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Quote:
Originally Posted by JML6278 View Post
Rookie, do you know what was done other than activating the oil level menu to the MMI? I have already done that months ago and it still says updating whenever I check on it.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff, I don't remember exactly because he helped me via remote access, sorry.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Banned

Het PAPER,
I used the one I bought off ebay .... that 4in1 reader for $250. It is on www.ecusells.com with the Dashsoft v2.1.0 software.
I swear it has opened so many things to me about my car.
Well worth the investment
Old 01-04-2012, 04:32 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Het PAPER,
I used the one I bought off ebay .... that 4in1 reader for $250. It is on www.ecusells.com with the Dashsoft v2.1.0 software.
I swear it has opened so many things to me about my car.
Well worth the investment
I was talking to DFEL750 .

but I have a quick question for you .
you state if you change Pos #2 to 2E you get front seat heating .
Well my question is shouldn't you already have that option ?
I know in my car when I push I-drive to the left center it takes
me to AC controls on MMI , & at the bottom left if I click on the page
symbol it takes me to the next page Which is front seat heating controls .
My Pos#2 is set at 23 .

1 more question , Have you tried any of these changes on the old Pre-facelift MMI ?

Last edited by PAPER; 01-04-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Banned

Sorry Paper.....my bad.

I mean I was able to change seat heating bias options.
Now with coding, and bear in mind I am still compiling a list, I started experimenting by inputting random codes and as I did this, different options and functions would reveal themselves. So since I don't have a list of the BMW codes per say, I have to do this by slowly trying each code one by one, but the main thing I found was that the command line that controlled everything is 3002. It may be that different combinations of codes equal different results, hence your 23. At least I have discovered the link and now I am drilling down on it, which is more than I have seen anyone else do here. I'll keep you posted as I go.

Last edited by AceFX; 01-04-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Sorry Paper.....my bad.

I mean I was able to change seat heating bias options.
Now with coding, and bear in mind I am still compiling a list, I started experimenting by inputting random codes and as I did this, different options and functions would reveal themselves. So since I don't have a list of the BMW codes per say, I have to do this by slowly trying each code one by one, but the main thing I found was that the command line that controlled everything is 3002. It may be that different combinations of codes equal different results, hence your 23. At least I have discovered the link and now I am drilling down on it, which is more than I have seen anyone else do here. I'll keep you posted as I go.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Banned

I hope I am not detecting sarcasm in your replies PAPER?
Yes I have tried this on the pre-facelift MMI and so far as I can tell command line 3002 does the same. I did experiment with some codes but I was more interested in my facelift MMI. Bottom line is though, I was getting similar results with the pre-facelift MMI with the same command line 3002. It maybe though that the codes are different in a pre-facelift MMI.......but I am working on it slowly.

Last edited by AceFX; 01-04-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:27 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
I hope I am not detecting sarcasm in your replies PAPER?
Yes I have tried this on the pre-facelift MMI and so far as I can tell command line 3002 does the same. I did experiment with some codes but I was more interested in my facelift MMI. Bottom line is though, I was getting similar results with the pre-facelift MMI with the same command line 3002. It maybe though that the codes are different in a pre-facelift MMI.......but I am working on it slowly.
No sarcasm coming from me
I was just wondering if your settings were different regarding
the seats & settings on page 2 of the climate control screen .
& I was wondering if we change the settings on are Pre-facelift
would it show up .
( IM STILL TRYING TO FIND A FACELIFT MMI FOR MY CAR )