Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:47 AM
Cocoa Beach Bimmer Addict

Mein Auto: 2008 128i Vert
New 08 128i Vert CPO Owner

Hi gang. I'm glad to be back on bimmerfest (I used to own a 2003 325i). Just before New Year's I got an absolutely stupid good deal on an 08 128i Vert CPO and couldn't be happier (details below). I bought it from an Audi dealership who didn't know it was a CPO car and also didn't know it had many of the features and packages that it has (i.e. comfort access, performance and sport package, etc.).

My local BMW dealer has been absolutely awesome. I have 110 miles left on the 4yr/50k warranty so they have my car now and I have a loaner. They are taking care of the following for me: new wiper blades, new battery in key fob, replace gear shift handle (there was some wrinkling of the surface) and new front and rear brakes (the service rep told me that I heard them "squeaking") even though the BC doesn't say I'm ready for brakes for another 7.5k miles!

I'll post up a few pics when I get my car back. Looking forward to learning, being entertained, and contributing here.

Black Sapphire Metallic on Taupe Boston Leather
STEPTRONIC automatic transmission
Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters
Comfort Access keyless entry
Heated front seats
Xenon headlights
Satellite radio
iPod and USB adapter
Premium Package

Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
Digital compass mirror
Power front seats with driver seat memory
Universal Garage Door Opener
Ambient light package
BMW Assist
Lumbar support

Sport Package

Sport suspension
Shadowline trim
Sport seats
Ads by Google
Old 01-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: looking for an M rdstr
Your car is well equiped and sounds awesome...
Dealer appears to be awesome.

The warranty perfomance of both dealer and manufacturer is great.

My 08 vert is in for cracked third break light lens, convertible top replacement, lifter replacement, and replacement wheel center caps.

The top and third break light issues are quite common.

You will want to inspect these in the next few miles!

Last edited by pdisher; 01-07-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdisher View Post
Your car is well equiped and sounds awesome...
Dealer appears to be awesome.

The warranty perfomance of both dealer and manufacturer is great.

My 08 vert is in for cracked third break light lens, convertible top replacement, lifter replacement, and replacement wheel center caps.

The top and third break light issues are quite common.

You will want to inspect these in the next few miles!
Thanks, I appreciate it! Can you tell me what went wrong with the top and lifter?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: looking for an M rdstr
The lifter issue is apparently the cause of a "ticking" noise that sometimes occurs when the car is driven on short "errand" type trips. If I drive the car less than a mile then drive it again after cooling the car motor would sometimes "tick".

The top issue is a rubbing against the frame while down. There was a TSB issued for this and I believe it was corrected later in model year.

I would ask the dealer for the complete service history based on the vin. They would know if any or all of the issues were addressed in the past

Both are common addressable issues.

Here is a good page to review the known issues;

http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/guide-page.html

( edmunds car site ->car-maintenance -> guide-page.htnl ) in case the link is removed.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:37 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiggi02 View Post
Can you tell me what went wrong with the ... lifter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdisher View Post
The lifter issue is apparently the cause of a "ticking" noise that sometimes occurs when the car is driven on short "errand" type trips. If I drive the car less than a mile then drive it again after cooling the car motor would sometimes "tick"...
Here's a thread on the E83 X3 forum with an imbedded video that provides a pretty representative audio demonstration of the lifter 'tick.'

It seems to be a relatively common thing with recent versions ('06-'08) of the BMW inline six, regardless of the platform in which it's installed; I had to have the lifters on my X3 replaced under warranty as well. BMW has apparently engineered some corrective measures into the replacement parts, and engines starting with roughly the 2009 model year had these improvements incorporated from the start.

Congrats on the new wheels! I've always liked the 1-Series!

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 AM

Thank you both - very helpful!! I just emailed the TSB's and recalls to my SA since it's still in service getting the other things taken care of.

Really, thank you!

2003 325i (retired)
1995 325i Vert (retired)