Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-22-2012, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5, 2003
2003 X5 battery drain because clock/radio comes on when temps go below 40 degrees

I have a 2003 BMW X5. I am having a serious problem with the cold weather. When the temp drops below 30 degrees, the clock/radio comes on by itself (car is parked in my garage, no key in ignition. This drains my battery, and has left me stranded with two little kids. I have a brand new battery and alternator in the last month. Have even pulled fuse for the onboard computer, and the clock is still coming on. What causes this? How can it be fixed? I have read there was a recall for this probelm, is that true?
Ads by Google
Old 01-23-2012, 06:44 AM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
Surprised your situ took so long to manifest itself/or you just noticed...we had that happen on our '01, but way back in the winter of '02. Our X has the 'Biz' CD/radio combo, and we struggled through the problem and inconvenience a few times until the dlr finally learned of, and did the 'reprogram'. It has been glitch free since then, going on its 12th year.

Have dlr 'run your key' and ref the info below, assuming you have the oe CD Radio. These type of items fall under the Technical Service Bulletin category, which is not a 'recall'.
GL, mD

TSB Number: SI651201 JAN 02 Campaign - Alpine CD 53 Radio Programming
"On some parked vehicles, the alpine cd53 radio causes the bus to wake up at ambient temperatures below 40f, the Battery could also become discharged..."
NHTSA Number: 629358 TSB Date: January 1, 2002 Date Added to File: April 2, 2002
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 01-23-2012, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the info! This problem started last winter when we first moved to WI from CA, which is why it hadn't happened earlier. We couldn't figure out what was happening at the time, and then by spring, and new battery the problem seemed to fix itself, until the wonderful WI winter hit and the temps dropped again. I will call the dlr today to see what we can do! I was hoping for something easy!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
RetiredBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwiskow74 View Post
Thanks for the info! This problem started last winter when we first moved to WI from CA, which is why it hadn't happened earlier. We couldn't figure out what was happening at the time, and then by spring, and new battery the problem seemed to fix itself, until the wonderful WI winter hit and the temps dropped again. I will call the dlr today to see what we can do! I was hoping for something easy!
You are welcome...I would bet a good '89 Bordeaux that is the problem.
Press the dlr, as I suspect they haven't 'done' that re-program in a long time, but the details are in that TSB, and the dlr can hump the info from BMW NA.

I would rec'd a good battery maintainer, eg Battery Tender or CTek for non-driving periods, or an occasional overnight good 'juicing'. Simple to connect under hood on the poz & neg lugs.
GL, mD
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Hi again, I have called all three dlrs in my area (all at least an hour away from me) and none of them have heard of this issue. They all gave me the usual "bring it in and we'll run a diagnostic, and see if we can duplicate the problem". I don't know if it's because I am a chick, or what, but service guys never believe me when I tell them what is wrong with my car, and how to fix it. I find it hard to believe that I am the only person in this cold state that has this issue with the car! That is my frustrated rant . . . sorry.

As far as a battery maintainer, do you mean a battery charger unit? I had bought one this last week that had a 3 setting/jump start options, and the charger although seeming to be working, didn't get my car started with either the jump start setting, or the 20 amp fast charge. Am I doing something wrong with this? or did I get a bum charger? Your help is greatly appreciated - at least I don't feel like a complete crazy person - you have at least dealt with my issue! :-)
Old 01-23-2012, 02:28 PM
RetiredBum

Ask to speak with the SA, recite the TSB code, and be firm...this is older news to them and they may not be familiar with/remember the problem from 8-10 years ago, but it should be readily discoverable in their system. Yes, they may be blowing you off, and they may try to charge you for the re-program.

Surprised that jump charger wouldn't get you going, unless your batt is stone dead, which is possible with the radio glitch.

No, I meant a battery maintenance 'trickle charger', like these:
http://batterytender.com/

http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/

Not humping maintenance chargers, but they do wonders when used occasionally/regularly on X5 batteries.

The dlr may try to sell you 'his' new battery, which is ~$300; a comparable new batt can be had at AutoZone, et al, for ~$100. Not a simple install, but <30 mins DIY for the handy.
GL, mD

PS: Dunno where in Cheeseland you are, but I would hunt up every BMW dlr within reasonable driving distance, and give them all a call. The local BMW dlr maybe/could be an idiot or could not care less about your situ; he is looking for an expensive dianostic and to sell you pricey batteries/parts, imo

Last edited by motordavid; 01-23-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:13 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to B M UU
Mein Auto: X5 4.6is
I have had my 2002 X5 for nearly two years now. When it arrived from purchasing it second hand from interstate I had problems of the battery loosing charge randomly. - It was winter at this time. After about a month the problem disappeared. I have experienced the problem once more 12 months later.

I did notice once when I first got the car and was trying to work out what was going on with the battery goin dead that the TV screen came up with BMW on it - they keys had not been in the ignition for about 30 minutes.

The above issues / solution sounds like it could be correct. Everyone said I needed a new battery. I certainly didn't
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: X5
I am having the same problem but b/c the pixels on my 2001 are no good I would not know if the radio was coming on. I do know while I sat soothing my infant in the back seat of the car, I was playing the radio. Then I went to start the car and it would not start. That was my first time playing a CD in the car and every since then the car would get jumped but not start after I shut it off. I was thinking of getting one of those solar power starters so it's ironic you posted the link. I need major help. I have a new born and I don't like to feel like I would be stranded b/c of this problem.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Do you know if I just disconnect the radio and CD player and recharge the battery will it stop this problem. I just got a brand new battery and it's drained.