Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 3.0i
'08 Z4 6spd 3.0I Input Shaft issues

Took my Z4 into the dealership for what I thought was a realase bearing noise. Service Mgr says it sounds more like the transmissions input shaft. Anyone else out there had any simular experience? Says the noise "may" be normal(?) Thx Gnatthecat
Ads by Google
Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnattheCat View Post
Took my Z4 into the dealership for what I thought was a realase bearing noise. Service Mgr says it sounds more like the transmissions input shaft. Anyone else out there had any simular experience? Says the noise "may" be normal(?) Thx Gnatthecat
I would assume you are still under warranty? Make sure to have the issue noted in case it turns out to be a problem later.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 si coupe, 2008 X3
Had the same issue on my certified pre-owned, took the car back to the dealership on the first week and they replaced the transmission with a new unit. This was at almost 50k miles. The noise has come back at around 53k, said it was the clutch bearing had the whole clutch replaced. Noise gone for another 2k miles and it is back again. My conclusion is that it is "normal", though I think "normal" should be quiet and not make any noise.

Last edited by Telememo; 01-27-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 e36
z4 input shaft bearing

I have some 'rattling' noise with my 07 Z4 coupe engine idling, manual transmission in neutral, and my foot off the clutch. Noise stops when clutch pedal is pushed in.

Also don't know if this is related, but the gear engagement is notchy and even feels like I'm hitting a gear tooth now and then. With the mileage at 41k seems it's past the brake in period. I've had an 86- 325 and a 98-328 and know shifting isn't the swiftest in these cars, but the Z4 shift engagement is not as smooth as these previous cars.

So taking it in to the dealer (under warrenty) I get the same 'noise is normal' diagnosis, but my independent BMW mechanic says it's the input shaft bearing.

Hoping to get some comments on similar noises and or shifting. Then I'll go back to the dealer, try again and post the results.
Thanks
Old 10-17-2012, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 3.0i
Input Shaft

On the first go around, the dealer determined that the problem rested with the flywheel. Excessive play(?) They replaced the flywheel and the clutch components. When the car is in 1st gear and under load going uphill I still get a "whir, whir, whir" sound. I believe that the eccentric flywheel damaged the input shaft which is why I still get the noise. All to be determined. Car now has 37K and it's about time I became a pest at the dealership, again.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 si coupe, 2008 X3
When taking your car to the dealer be sure to turn off the AC/fan, it will be a lot easier to hear the rattling. I also had the same noise on a 2000 328i, but that one started around 110k and I just used it like than until I sold it with 155k. The Z4 is gone, had 60k, never really got to have the problem go away, even with transmission (including throw out bearing) and cluth replacement and CDV delete. Dealer never mentioned the flywheel. Like I said before I believe this is "normal" for manual BMWs, but it should not be that way!