Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Cloudy Cloudy is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: BMW X3
X3 washer fluids leak- urgent help needed

Hi

Im new to this forum so apologies if I sound naive.
I am no expert but dont mind dabbling in DIY I have done searches and identified that I probably have a washer fluid leak somewhere in my BMW x3 2004 (3.0 sport auto).
Originally I noticed the black tube(approx 5mm) that is attached to one of the pumps (RHS if looking at the car head on) was off and water was leaking out of the hole, so I reattached it. The front washer works fine, there is no water in the rear washer- there is a sound of a pump working when stalk is pushed back.

Since reattaching the pipe I cannot see any leak at the tank.
We have since had some icy weather and I wonder if ive caused a problem, There is a smell of washer fluid in the car but the carpets are all dry.
I have checked under the plastic trim at the rear near the spoiler and it appears dry and no loose tubes.
I am uncertain of opening up the centre console/lifting seats etc but if the carpets are dry is it worth looking under there?

Now the really silly problem, whilst fiddling with the tank I dropped screwdriver bit ( small attachment for end of magnetic screwdriver) into the tank. I can see it, the tank is now empty( leaked somewhere) and I cant figure out how to get the metal bit out!
Does the black lid of the tank come off??
If I could get the metal out of the tank Im considering disconnecting the rear washer and leaving just front pump on.

Any ideas on what I ought to do appreciated as I have no intention(yet) of paying to have this fixed.

Last edited by Cloudy; 02-06-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 02-07-2012, 04:31 AM
ncord ncord is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ontario canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 151
Mein Auto: 2006 X3
There are flexible shafts with a magnetic end available.You should be able to find one at any auto supply shop
or even your local Flea Market.
It sounds like your rear pump might be defective.About $50.at dealer or less on-line.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-07-2012, 06:05 AM
Cloudy Cloudy is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: BMW X3
managed to get screwdriver bit out by using flexible magnetic screwdriver, pump works when switched on, ive checked the connector in rear boot lid and its fine, cleaned nozzles, i assume it only leaves the connector under console- which i dont thimk i can diy- but my question is could it be that yet my carpets remain completely dry? ive disconnected rear pump power for now to stop tank draining.
/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,416
Mein Auto: '06 X3
This is one of those things that you can spend money on, or just leave it alone and block off the tube so no more fluid gets past the block. How many times do you really use your back washer anyway? If you are like me, probably once or twice a year, if that. This could be a really simple problem, or it could be a nightmare that involves taking out the console, padding, etc. to find the problem. Your call.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Cloudy Cloudy is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: BMW X3
will be leaving it as it is until some better weather anyway..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-08-2012, 06:37 AM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
My rear pump tube is disconnected and capped. And unless the opportunity to run a one piece tube through the cabin presents itself (if I have to pull the carpets and seats for another reason) it will remain that way.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-09-2012, 08:07 AM
PeterVanstone PeterVanstone is offline
PeterVanstone
Location: Southampton UK
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0 M
Hope this helps - my rear washer stopped working recently because the pipe had blown off the back of the spray nozzle that is set in the rear spoiler on the top of the tailgate. It blew off because the nozzle frove and the pressure pushed the pipe off the back of the nozzle. No water comes in the car and it can run down the sides of the tailgate so it's difficult to see. I couldn't see the water that was pumping out into the spoiler. It is easy to remove the spoiler - one row of bolts are behind round bungs and to get to the others you need to take off the trim around the tailgate window. The trim pulls straight off starting at the bottom on one or other side, but the clips can be tight and you need to be as careful as possible to avoid any breakage!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 AM
timclaydon timclaydon is offline
Registered User
Location: Stevenage
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: X3
Rear spoiler / washer jet

Hi Peter, thanks for this post, I have EXACTLY the same problem.
In my case, one of the front pipes and the rear had come off the jets - I presume due to the recent icy cold snap. The front jet was easy to re-fit but I was scratching my head about the rear one!
I've found the 3 bolts but haven't managed to get the trim off yet for the others as seems difficult to prise off??
Will try again in the morning!
Cheers for the post

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVanstone View Post
Hope this helps - my rear washer stopped working recently because the pipe had blown off the back of the spray nozzle that is set in the rear spoiler on the top of the tailgate. It blew off because the nozzle frove and the pressure pushed the pipe off the back of the nozzle. No water comes in the car and it can run down the sides of the tailgate so it's difficult to see. I couldn't see the water that was pumping out into the spoiler. It is easy to remove the spoiler - one row of bolts are behind round bungs and to get to the others you need to take off the trim around the tailgate window. The trim pulls straight off starting at the bottom on one or other side, but the clips can be tight and you need to be as careful as possible to avoid any breakage!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Cloudy Cloudy is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: BMW X3
I managed to fix my rear washer tube leak- followed the advice on here and exactly as anticipated the separated junction was found under the carpet alongside the gearbox hump. Took 2 hours including drying out with 2 people working on it. Really was a silly place to put a connector that could come loose in the cold weather. Technically, it might have been accessible by cutting a small slit in the carpet- for those who are prepared to live with a cut in the carpet!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 AM
PeterVanstone PeterVanstone is offline
PeterVanstone
Location: Southampton UK
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0 M
Rear spolier washer jet

Tim,

It is difficult to prize off - I thought is was going to break ! The fixing is a small rectangular hole in the metal of the window frame with a metal spring clip dropped in – then a plastic protrusion from the back of the trim pushes into the metal clip.

It grips it tight and grips for about 1-2cm as you pull the trim directly away from the frame. Use something wide to do the levering and something plastic if possible to avoid breaking the edge that you are levering. Best to do it when it’s not too cold as the trim is more brittle when cold. There are 3 fixings up each side and it may be a good idea to lever them all in turn as you coax it off.

If any of the plastic protrusions on the trim do break off, I reckon it would be easy to re-fix with a small self tapping screw and paint the head the same colour as the trim.

When you’ve got the bolts undone there are a couple of electrical plugs to spilt and a rubber bung to release where the wires pass through the tailgate to the spoiler.

Sorry if this is a bit late – if it is, hopefully you’ve got it done ok.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-28-2012, 05:21 AM
manfredip manfredip is offline
Registered User
Location: Milano
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy View Post
I managed to fix my rear washer tube leak- followed the advice on here and exactly as anticipated the separated junction was found under the carpet alongside the gearbox hump. Took 2 hours including drying out with 2 people working on it. Really was a silly place to put a connector that could come loose in the cold weather. Technically, it might have been accessible by cutting a small slit in the carpet- for those who are prepared to live with a cut in the carpet!
I really thank you to open this post, I have the same problem with my E83, 2004, 3.0i
Rear washer tube leak!

How did you remove the carpet?
do you have some pictures or a guide-to?

Many thank to everybody,
from Milan, Italy
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-28-2012, 05:54 AM
timclaydon timclaydon is offline
Registered User
Location: Stevenage
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: X3
Rear washer jet leak - X3

Hi - the rear jet/hose is hidden behind the plastic trim that is fitteed all around the inside of the rear window. You need to prise off the trim carefully on the left hand side / top left corner to reveal the pipe and jet. I used a screwdriver to do this- be careful not to prise too hard as you can easily damage the plastic trim or snap the connectors off.

I didn't have to remove any carpet as my leak was near the jet at the back of the car. (In my case, the jet had simply frozen up in the cold weather and the ice had expanded and pushed the jet off the pipe.)

Removing the rear trim is very fiddly, it took me several hours to do it but once you have removed the trim you will see the pipe and jet and then its easy to reconnect.

Good luck!
Tim
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-10-2012, 05:31 AM
jpmcguire jpmcguire is offline
Dr Jim & his Bim
Location: Rhode Island
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: BMW 323i 1999 2004 X3 2.1
I have spent a LOT of money on this issue. After a major flood here in New England last year my X3 rear floors were soaked. I pulled up the carpet and pumped out several gallons of water. Called insurance company-to shorten the story a bit-new gasket set on panoramic roof, windshield gasket, door panel gaskets---shall I keep going-new carpets etc!!
All fixed----!! Sorry about midsummer I noticed a strange smell like windshield washer stuff!! I had been noticing that I was refilling that tank often!! Looked under the rear carpets ---you guessed it ---a gallon of the missing windshield washer fluid! I pulled the pimp from the tank and plugged it with a pencil! When I get around to it I'll pull out all the seats and carpet and find the plastic pipe that travels through the passenger compartment and leaks!!!
Thousands of dollars worth of expense and damage---for a plastic hose-leak. Small things can cause big problems-and they are often very hard to discern. The major catastrophes of the world have often been linked to simple parts failing. Airlines exploding –fuel tank pump; Space shuttles exploding, O –ring, Bridges falling down,--one broken rivet!
In the big picture it's only rear window washer not working and a damn wet floor!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-10-2012, 01:08 PM
eddiemacthedog eddiemacthedog is offline
Registered User
Location: fraserburgh
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: X3 2.0d SE
also had this problem, major water under carpets, washer pipe had popped off beside the gear stick and everytime i tried to use the rear washer i saw no water and unknowingly was filling the car with screenwash!! I aint kidding when i say the car was totally flooded under the carpet, you imagine the carpet has a lot of foam soundproofing material, it was just like a sponge. I removed the carpet and footwells were also flooded. I guess the moral is get this checked out ASAP as it may not have reached the top of the carpet yet to make it wet but the foam soundproofing could be soaking it up!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Cloudy Cloudy is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Right, now I'm planning on opening up the seat and carpet sooner rather than later, is there any hope that the fluid would just drain out under the car, if not, will it be damaging anything?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-12-2012, 03:23 PM
eddiemacthedog eddiemacthedog is offline
Registered User
Location: fraserburgh
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: X3 2.0d SE
my car was full of screenwash, nowhere to drain away, had to drill a small hole and remove entire carpet and dry over a few days, just remember to leave the keys out when removing seats and airbag connectors as you will land up with an airbag light left on the dash.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 PM
jvest2000 jvest2000 is offline
Registered User
Location: Salt Lake City
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 29
Mein Auto: 2006 X3
If you need to replace the pumps check the guide below for some photos describing the process.

My experience with this is that my wife's 2006 X3 washer fluid leaked out within a week of being filled and i noticed the leaking coming from the pump closest to the engine which feeds the windshield sprayers. I ordered a new OEM pump and grommet/strainer and replaced easily in 15 minutes, parts were about $35. Here is a little guide i put together on the process, hope it helps someone as this problem seem pretty prevalent in these cars. In fact I just looked at my aunt's 2008 X3 and saw minor leaking from one of the pumps in that as well. Pretty unbelievable that these pumps are such crap but it is what it is and at least the fix is easy.

DIY Instructions For Replacing BMW X3 Washer Pumps

Hope this saves some people time and money. I called my local dealer and they quoted me $65 for the pump alone. Probably double price that to have it installed.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 AM
BenF12400 BenF12400 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 276
Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvest2000 View Post
If you need to replace the pumps check the guide below for some photos describing the process.

My experience with this is that my wife's 2006 X3 washer fluid leaked out within a week of being filled and i noticed the leaking coming from the pump closest to the engine which feeds the windshield sprayers. I ordered a new OEM pump and grommet/strainer and replaced easily in 15 minutes, parts were about $35. Here is a little guide i put together on the process, hope it helps someone as this problem seem pretty prevalent in these cars. In fact I just looked at my aunt's 2008 X3 and saw minor leaking from one of the pumps in that as well. Pretty unbelievable that these pumps are such crap but it is what it is and at least the fix is easy.

DIY Instructions For Replacing BMW X3 Washer Pumps

Hope this saves some people time and money. I called my local dealer and they quoted me $65 for the pump alone. Probably double price that to have it installed.
Thank you for your step-by-step instructions. My son has an 06 X3 which he uses in college. He called to say he keeps replacing washer fluid. I found your post (we are Bimmerfest members - I have an X5) and found the leak at the base of the pump, ordered the parts from Amazon (they arrived the next day somehow) and replaced it in under 15 minutes. Because my hands are small (and some of the wires were short) I did not have to really pull the reservoir out. I suspect I saved a fe hundred dollars and hours of time at a shop - thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-23-2013, 03:46 PM
NYC Jay NYC Jay is offline
Registered User
Location: Astoria, NY
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
Re: X3 washer fluids leak- urgent help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF12400 View Post
Thank you for your step-by-step instructions. My son has an 06 X3 which he uses in college. He called to say he keeps replacing washer fluid. I found your post (we are Bimmerfest members - I have an X5) and found the leak at the base of the pump, ordered the parts from Amazon (they arrived the next day somehow) and replaced it in under 15 minutes. Because my hands are small (and some of the wires were short) I did not have to really pull the reservoir out. I suspect I saved a fe hundred dollars and hours of time at a shop - thanks again.
I had the same issue past February. The pump went bad and started to leakout fluid from the bottom area located under the tank. My Indy replaced the pump @ $50 plus $15 for labor. That was a 5 minutes job for him.

Sent from my LG-MS840 using BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-21-2012, 04:35 AM
jpmcguire jpmcguire is offline
Dr Jim & his Bim
Location: Rhode Island
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: BMW 323i 1999 2004 X3 2.1
Washer Fluid Leak reply

Lateer Edit -I just noticed that this is an old line of discussion. It just poiped up in my e-mail notification so I replied as followes--however I note I replied last year as well!!!

x3--Been there done that!! I had a serious leak in my 2004 x3. Wet floors mat and mildew after a awful lot of searching -including a panorama roof repair ($1000 ish) Dash removal etc ect.. When i finally noticed that I kept losing my washer fluid. It seemed that once I used the rear window washer I started a siphon --and it all drained to the rear seat floor and then shifted around with driving---gallons!!!
I pulled the little pump out and stuck a pencil in the hole.. All fixed until I dig out the tube from under the console and rugs an effect repairs --some day --maybe.

Use a magnet on a string?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy View Post
Hi


Im new to this forum so apologies if I sound naive.
I am no expert but dont mind dabbling in DIY I have done searches and identified that I probably have a washer fluid leak somewhere in my BMW x3 2004 (3.0 sport auto).
Originally I noticed the black tube(approx 5mm) that is attached to one of the pumps (RHS if looking at the car head on) was off and water was leaking out of the hole, so I reattached it. The front washer works fine, there is no water in the rear washer- there is a sound of a pump working when stalk is pushed back.

Since reattaching the pipe I cannot see any leak at the tank.
We have since had some icy weather and I wonder if ive caused a problem, There is a smell of washer fluid in the car but the carpets are all dry.
I have checked under the plastic trim at the rear near the spoiler and it appears dry and no loose tubes.
I am uncertain of opening up the centre console/lifting seats etc but if the carpets are dry is it worth looking under there?

Now the really silly problem, whilst fiddling with the tank I dropped screwdriver bit ( small attachment for end of magnetic screwdriver) into the tank. I can see it, the tank is now empty( leaked somewhere) and I cant figure out how to get the metal bit out!
Does the black lid of the tank come off??
If I could get the metal out of the tank Im considering disconnecting the rear washer and leaving just front pump on.

Any ideas on what I ought to do appreciated as I have no intention(yet) of paying to have this fixed.

Last edited by jpmcguire; 11-21-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms