Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:51 AM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
[Opening a can of worms] Did anyone else test drive 328i and miss the N52?

First of all, let me state that N20 engine is a major feat of engineering. I cannot think of any other (non-hybrid) engine right now that sips 30+ mpg with mid-5 second 0-60 acceleration.

That said, I test drove a 328i last evening and the only thing I disliked about the car is N20. When I traded my TSX for a E90, the buttery smoothness, linear power delivery, and turbine-like wail of the naturally aspirated N52 mesmerized me (and still do). I rev the engine from a red-light just to hear it moving past 5000 rpm -- it's music to my ears.

Sadly, I sorely missed all these in the new 328i . It offers plenty of power, but does not sound good and/or feel good doing so. I think BMW has a hit in their hand with N20, but a handful of people (including me) who prefer refinement and finesse over raw performance number will always feel nostalgic for N52, the epitome of BMW's naturally aspirated straight-six awesomeness.

R.I.P. N52.
Ads by Google
Old 02-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
They make a N55 if you must have a I6. N20 is very impressive.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:06 PM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
N20 is very impressive.
I whole-heartedly agree.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
They make a N55 if you must have a I6. N20 is very impressive.
N55 is not NA so it's a fail to those who cut and paste engine qualities from Car and Driver.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328xiT (E91)
Neilsarkar,

I drove a 328i Modern (Mineral Gray / All Beige Interior) this past weekend in Denver. I took it out for a good 45 minutes to test both highway and city driving. While the N20 is a noteable advancement in efficiency engineering, it doesn't feel or sound like a true BMW. The combination of the lighter steering (which makes it feel less accurate imo), softer ride and the quintessential sound and shake of a 4 cylinder really had me disappointed. The new 328 is a car that will attact more non-BMW drivers/buyers to the BMW brand precisely becuase it is moving towards being less of a BMW and more like competitors in the small sedan market. Granted, I did not drive the Sport Line 328i with adaptive sport steering; that model could potentially quell my steering and ride woes, but for me I opted for a 2012 E91 Sport with the N52. In the words of my brother: "There is no replacement for displacement" (2.0L vs. 3.0L).

Build quality item I noticed on the test drive: The mirrors vibrate pretty badly when you shut the front doors. Could have just been the one I drove.
Personal taste item: The all beige modern interior is sure to make an exit from the line-up. Otherwise, the cabin was fine.

It will be a big seller.

Spencer842

2012 328i XDrive Touring MT -- Daily Driver
1988 Range Rover Classic 3.5L V8 -- Weekend Car
Old 02-14-2012, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
This being the 1st gen 4 cylinder turbo, BMW will likely make one that sounds better and is smoother in the future.

BMWs have always been about compromises, and this is a necessary one for the base 3 series. I do think BMW should start offering more than 2 engines like they do everywhere else but here in the Land of Freedom.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Horses for courses. I'm hanging on to my '08 328i for the normally aspirated six. I like the N20 for its economy, but the advantages even in fuel consumption are small.
Quote:
"Slow" is relative. N52 powered 328i is quicker than any M5 prior to the E39.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
It's wrong to say the N52 is "slow as hell". If the N20 does 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds according to Car and Driver and the N52 5.9 according to the same magazine, that's not a very large difference. I'm not commenting on the sportiness of the N20 but the difference is pretty small. And for sure the N52 is sporty. It eagerly roars to the redline and in the midrange gets on the cam and scoots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I agree with the OP, the N20 is fast on the foot and will make many people happy, especially those who migrate from the competing brands. But once you are used to the N52 rev, the N20 felt like a diesel.

Anyone who thinks the N52 is slow, probably never liked to rev high, if so, what a waste of driving that N52, but the N20 will be perfect for you I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer842 View Post
Neilsarkar,

I drove a 328i Modern (Mineral Gray / All Beige Interior) this past weekend in Denver. I took it out for a good 45 minutes to test both highway and city driving. While the N20 is a noteable advancement in efficiency engineering, it doesn't feel or sound like a true BMW. The combination of the lighter steering (which makes it feel less accurate imo), softer ride and the quintessential sound and shake of a 4 cylinder really had me disappointed. The new 328 is a car that will attact more non-BMW drivers/buyers to the BMW brand precisely becuase it is moving towards being less of a BMW and more like competitors in the small sedan market. Granted, I did not drive the Sport Line 328i with adaptive sport steering; that model could potentially quell my steering and ride woes, but for me I opted for a 2012 E91 Sport with the N52. In the words of my brother: "There is no replacement for displacement" (2.0L vs. 3.0L).

Build quality item I noticed on the test drive: The mirrors vibrate pretty badly when you shut the front doors. Could have just been the one I drove.
Personal taste item: The all beige modern interior is sure to make an exit from the line-up. Otherwise, the cabin was fine.

It will be a big seller.

Spencer842
"While the N20 is a noteable advancement in efficiency engineering, it doesn't feel or sound like a true BMW. The combination of the lighter steering (which makes it feel less accurate imo), softer ride and the quintessential sound and shake of a 4 cylinder really had me disappointed."

+1x10...Had my second test drives, very long ones at my dealer the other day (unlike my short covert test drive under cover of darkness over the holidays (Christmas)...
335i pretty much the same with a silly cheap felling interior and the pathetic hood & front end design even worse looking up close and in the light of day...but the 328i was disapointing.
Interior look & feel soooo cheap right down to the thin cheap feel to all the buttons (compared to ones in the E46, very, very noticable)
Nice car like so many out there... just not a BMW...not the ones we have come to love...the "feel" is gone. Non BMW fans who want a cushy bling-bling economical car that has that artificial turbo rush will buy and enjoy these cars...but the thrill is gone.
Just nothing special about them any longer
I had a smile on my face when I got back into my lowly E46 after the test drive and the buttery smooth NA engine in that and the E9x M3 is still what a BMW is and should be
I'm sure they will sell millions to the minions

Last edited by 16n69; 02-21-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
"While the N20 is a noteable advancement in efficiency engineering, it doesn't feel or sound like a true BMW. The combination of the lighter steering (which makes it feel less accurate imo), softer ride and the quintessential sound and shake of a 4 cylinder really had me disappointed."

+1x10...Had my second test drives, very long ones at my dealer the other day (unlike my short covert test drive under cover of darkness over the holidays (Christmas)...
335i pretty much the same with a silly cheap felling interior and the pathetic hood & front end design even worse looking up close and in the light of day...but the 328i was disapointing.
Interior look & feel soooo cheap right down to the thin cheap feel to all the buttons (compared to ones in the E46, very, very noticable)
Nice car like so many out there... just not a BMW...not the ones we have come to love...the "feel" is gone. Non BMW fans who want a cushy bling-bling economical car that has that artificial turbo rush will buy and enjoy these cars...but the thrill is gone.
Just nothing special about them any longer
I had a smile on my face when I got back into my lowly E46 after the test drive and the buttery smooth NA engine in that and the E9x M3 is still what a BMW is and should be
I'm sure they will sell millions to the minions
oh...and the turbo lag was pronounced...BMW seems to somehow retained & engineered that "lag" that was in the E9x 328i... even though this is a totally different engine and FI not NA as well...go figure.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: '09 335i msport
Quote:
oh...and the turbo lag was pronounced...BMW seems to somehow retained & engineered that "lag" that was in the E9x 328i... even though this is a totally different engine and FI not NA as well...go figure.
lol.. below is the post you made in this thread when asked about turbo lag:

Quote:
Well, no discernible "lag"...that is a thing of the past, at least with most German cars...good jpb there, for sure.
..not sure what to believe from you 16n69.. you're an F30-contrarian to the nth.

Last edited by 7or8; 02-22-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7or8 View Post
lol.. below is the post you made in this thread when asked about turbo lag:

..not sure what to believe from you 16n69.. your just F30-contrarian to the nth.
Uhh...that was a 5 minute test drive over the holidays...set up by a friend and we were somewhere we were NOT supposed to be driving company cars we should not have had access to, but did...and he drove FIRST...and probably set me up in SPORT + mode, I don't know, as I said very quick drive, for me at night, in the pouring rain...I was not gunning it, and i was a bit nervous at what we were doing.
Did not discern it then but on the long extended and RELAXED drive with my dealers car...I SURE DID...and it SUCKED BIG TIME, not acceptable for BMW and its heritage...PERIOD!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: German
People are blowing this whole 4 cylinder turbo BMW thing completely out of proportion. It's hilarious because even with all this bitching, it will probably sell like hot cakes and win many comparisons

In fact, I'm probably buying a 3 series in the next year and was HOPING for a small displacement turbo. I refuse to get a N/A I6. The N52 wasn't even that great. If I want power, I'm coughing up for the 335i, but if I want a small, sporty feeling car with decent power, the turbo 4 does the job perfectly

Last edited by AutoUnion; 02-14-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
People are blowing this whole 4 cylinder turbo BMW thing completely out of proportion. It's hilarious because even with all this bitching, it will probably sell like hot cakes and win many comparisons

In fact, I'm probably buying a 3 series in the next year and was HOPING for a small displacement turbo. I refuse to get a N/A I6. The N52 wasn't even that great. If I want power, I'm coughing up for the 335i, but if I want a small, sporty feeling car with decent power, the turbo 4 does the job perfectly
+1, going from the N54(which was a beast) to the N52 which is very underpowered(especially torque) the N20 fits me perfectly. Small drop off in performance compared to the turbo 6, and i had no issues with sound or refinement from the motor while driving it. Had the 335 come with the N54, it would have complicated the decision.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
+1, going from the N54(which was a beast) to the N52 which is very underpowered(especially torque) the N20 fits me perfectly. Small drop off in performance compared to the turbo 6, and i had no issues with sound or refinement from the motor while driving it. Had the 335 come with the N54, it would have complicated the decision.
This. The N55 Is a noticeable downgrade to the N54

Last edited by AutoUnion; 02-15-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
This. The N55 Is a noticeable downgrade to the N54
+1

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:

Have yet to drive any model (sat in one with wrapping paper fresh off the truck) last week while X5 getting oil change. How can one be sporty and not the other? Folks read wayyy too much as real world driving is not the track. I will go with the 335i when the time comes but the future really is much like the N20. If you have not noticed each year that goes by the auto love affair light gets a little dimmer. Not meant to be a downer cause I'm not, just looking back on the years and can see where the road leads to. I love love love my X5 and look forward to the 335 coupe, have fun.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
Have yet to drive any model (sat in one with wrapping paper fresh off the truck) last week while X5 getting oil change. How can one be sporty and not the other? Folks read wayyy too much as real world driving is not the track. I will go with the 335i when the time comes but the future really is much like the N20. If you have not noticed each year that goes by the auto love affair light gets a little dimmer. Not meant to be a downer cause I'm not, just looking back on the years and can see where the road leads to. I love love love my X5 and look forward to the 335 coupe, have fun.
I think what the point I'm trying to get across is that the N20 is a better engine than the torqueless N52. A base 328 with the N52 isn't sporty. Frankly, it's slow as hell. Sure it sounds good, but that's it. If I'm dropping money on a E90, it sure as hell isn't a watered down I6. I would cough up for the 335i. But for the F30, that is not needed. The base model's engine is tremendously sporty feeling, loves to rev, and sounds decent.

The Audi A4 comes with a 2.0T and we don't see people bitching about it do we?

Maybe I'm just a fan of small turbo 4 engines in general, but unless I'm willing to spend more for the FI 6, the N20 isn't a bad engine. It is better in every way to the N52
Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
The only people bitching about it are those I referenced in my post above.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
I think what the point I'm trying to get across is that the N20 is a better engine than the torqueless N52. A base 328 with the N52 isn't sporty. Frankly, it's slow as hell. Sure it sounds good, but that's it. If I'm dropping money on a E90, it sure as hell isn't a watered down I6. I would cough up for the 335i. But for the F30, that is not needed. The base model's engine is tremendously sporty feeling, loves to rev, and sounds decent.

Maybe I'm just a fan of small turbo 4 engines in general, but unless I'm willing to spend more for the FI 6, the N20 isn't a bad engine. It is better in every way to the N52
It's wrong to say the N52 is "slow as hell". If the N20 does 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds according to Car and Driver and the N52 5.9 according to the same magazine, that's not a very large difference. I'm not commenting on the sportiness of the N20 but the difference is pretty small. And for sure the N52 is sporty. It eagerly roars to the redline and in the midrange gets on the cam and scoots.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...st+page-3.html

The 07 version got 6.1, so 5.5 to 6.1 is a big difference. Again I've not spent allot of time around 328s, so I have no idea the changes that have or haven't taken place since 2007.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Yes, it might not be slower on paper, but I prefer the torque curve of a FI motor any day of the week next to an anemic NA I6. You don't have to rev the balls off the turbo to get fantastic performance
Old 02-18-2012, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
+1

Also, please note that e90 325, 328 are same engine as e90 330.

I'd say 5 and 8 are intentionall de-tuned by bmw.

Recent engine tuning products bring 325 and 328 close to 330 power.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Horses for courses. I'm hanging on to my '08 328i for the normally aspirated six. I like the N20 for its economy, but the advantages even in fuel consumption are small.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Old 02-15-2012, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Quote:
My RWD 6 MT M Sport 328i is not slow by any means. Once it hits 4K, it's very quick. The trick is to keep it in that range if you are looking to have fun. Yes, it is not a "Torque Monster" but I keep my cars a long time and put a lot of miles on them so reliability is a key factor in my purchase decision.
'06 Mini Cooper S
'66 Morgan 4/4
'01 Toyota Tacoma
'73 Porsche 911T
Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: '13 135i M Sport 7DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
My RWD 6 MT M Sport 328i is not slow by any means. Once it hits 4K, it's very quick. The trick is to keep it in that range if you are looking to have fun. Yes, it is not a "Torque Monster" but I keep my cars a long time and put a lot of miles on them so reliability is a key factor in my purchase decision.
Well said. No complains with my 328i either. With 230hp rating this car is faster and more pleasant than most of Japanese 300hp+ cars. I find it to have very nice low-end torque (compared to lets say 270hp Honda Accord V6 which has 0 torque till it spins up past 5K).

The car is plenty fast off the line too. Yes, I red line it pretty much all the time I drive it, but it's good to hear that engine rev.