Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
BMW F30 3 Series Sedan Frequently Asked Questions - Read Me

Bimmerfest.com answer commonly asked questions about the 2012/2013 BMW F30 3 Series Sedan. If you have additional questions post them below and we will do our best to answer them. More frequently asked questions to come!

What does F30 stand for?
It is BMW's internal chassis development code. The sixth generation 3 series sedan is the F30, the touring will be the F31, the coupe will be the F32 and the convertible will be the F33.

What are the 3 Series "Lines" (Sport, Modern and Luxury)?
BMW completely changed around the packages and options and the way you buy the car for the F30. You select a line that reflect you and the car 'charter' you want from your 3 series. Each line has line specific color choices and included equipment. For example the Sport Line comes with sport suspension. See our Lines explained in photos thread for more details.

BMWUSA.com Configurator seems to be missing options?
BMW has still not resolved issues with the configurator. It gives you a good idea of how you can Line, Package and Option your F30 but does have some flaws. For example the 328i Sport Line defaulty (based on pricing) adds the M Adaptive suspension dampeners but doesn't list the option anywhere. For the complete options reference the complete BMW F30 ordering guide

Is there an Naturally Aspirated (non turbo) engine option?
No. The two main engine options in the US are the N20 inline 4 cylinder twinpower turbo engine making 245 horsepower for the 328i and the N55 inline 6 cylinder twinpower turbo engine making 300 horsepower for the 335i.

Will my car have a front license plate mount from the factory?
Car produced from November 2011 through mid-January 2012 had a factory installed front plate mount. Starting mid-January BMW eliminated the rather large front plate mount and started producing a more typical front plate holder. The new front plate holder will be shipped with the car to be installed by your dealership. If you don't want it installed make sure you tell your dealer sale person before your car gets to the dealer. More info and pictures of the different plate frames here

What are the brakes on the F30?
The 328i has single piston floating calipers on all four wheels. 335i gets upgraded to 4 piston fixed caliper up front and single piston floating caliper in the rear. For complete brakes specs see the F30 Complete Specifications thread

Is the F30 sedan chassis stiffer then the E90 sedan chassis?
Yes, the F30 sedan is 30% stiffer then the E90

Is the US getting F30 diesel models?
There will not appear to be a diesel 2013 model at this time but we know BMW is considering adding them. No official word yet, I don't think BMW has decided which way they're going to go. The E90 diesel models sold reasonably well but not great and the Active Hybrid 3 offers great gas mileage for those that looked to diesel for the MPG. What is telling is that there is no F10 5 series diesel yet either, and the F10 has been out for over a model year now. It's possible BMW is simply working on a new diesel engine to offer in both the F30 and F10, for now we will have to wait and see.

Is the wagon/touring coming to the US?
Yes, the touring will arrive in US dealerships in the spring of 2013. Get more information on the 2013 BMW F31 Touring from the press release. Stay tuned for US specifications and pricing.

When can I get an F30 Active Hybrid 3?
Active Hybrid 3 series will start arriving in the US in September of 2012 as 2013 model years.

Can I order a BMW Individual F30 (custom exterior/interior colors)?
BMW has not released the BMW Individual catalog yet. There are more colors becoming available on the F30 starting with March 2012 production. Sometime after that seems reasonable.

How are the run flat tires on the F30?
The F30 uses the third generation run flat tires, which are a massive improvement over previous run flats. The weight of the wheel and tires is now comparable to standard tires and the road noise and 'banging' over bumps is eliminated. If you didn't know they were run flats you probably could not tell.

Will DCT (Double Clutch Transmission) be offered as an option?
Not in the near term (2012-2014). BMW says the 8 speed automatic sports transmission offers the same performance. And for now BMW wants to keep DCT for M cars only (the F80/F81/F82/F83 M3 will have DCT). I wouldn't be surprised if BMW offered it on a "IS" or "performance" package some time in the future but that is years off.

Will we see new engines in the near future, like what happened with the E90?
No. The N20 4 cylinder is a brand new motor and the N55 6 cylinder started going into cars in 2009. They're both new engines, unlike the motors in the 325/330 E90 sedans. Will we see a power bump, perhaps through BMW M Performance Parts? I would say it is likely, but power increases are something BMW tends to hold back and release to keep the model fresh. I wouldn't expect power increases from BMW for at least a year. Aftermarket tuners will have power for you much sooner!

Will we see a power bump in the 6 cylinder N55 powered 335i?
No. The N55 will retain the current 300 horsepower, 300 foot pounds of torque at least until the 2014 model year. BMW may offer a power kit sooner.

What is the default Driver Experience mode (Eco-pro, Comfort, Sport, Sport+)?
The F30 defaults to Comfort driving mode each time the car is restarted. Annoyingly it does not remember your driving mode and there is no way to set a default.

Can I set my default Driving Experience Mode - i.e. I always want to be in Sport Mode?
No, the car defaults to Comfort Mode each time the car is restarted. There is no way to change the default mode.

What BMW M Performance Parts are going to be available for the F30?
Intitially BMW M Performance Parts for the F30 will be limited. BMW is launching with -
  • Black kidney grilles
  • M Performance exhaust systems
  • M Performance brakes
  • Carbon fiber front splitters
  • M Performance steering wheel

The initial parts will go on sale mid-March 2012. More parts will be rolled out with 2013 model year mid-summer 2012.

BMW xDrive All Wheel Drive F30 Frequently Asked Questions

When will all wheel drive / xDrive be available on the F30?
Both 335i and 328i will be available in all wheel drive xDrive starting July 2012. Manual transmission will likely be available on the 328i xDrive, don't count on it for the 335i xDrive.

Can I get an xDrive in manual transmission
Manual transmission is a likely option on the 328i. 335i will be 8 speed automatic only.

Will sport suspension be offered on xDrive 328i/335i?
Yes. You will be able to get sport suspension but it will not lower the ride height.

Will M Adaptive Sport Suspension will variable dampers be available on xDrive 328i/335i?
Yes. You will be able to add the M Adaptive dampers.

M Sport Package Frequently Asked Questions

When can I get an M-Sport Package F30?
2013 F30 3 series sedans will start coming off the production line with the M sport package in July 2012 for August 2012 delivery. If you want one get your order in soon to get the first production spots.

What comes on the M Sport Package?
The M Sports Package is a visual, aerodynamic and interior upgrade package that includes -
  • Aerodynamics package with numerous body components
  • M Sport specific wheels in 18" with a 19" wheel option
  • M Sport suspension
  • Chromium tail pipes
  • BMW Individual High-gloss Shadowline trim
  • Exclusive Estoril Blue Metallic paint color available
  • M sill covers
  • Dark Shadow Metallic diffuser insert
  • M leather steering wheel
  • Short-shifter gear lever (manual transmission)
  • Aluminum Hexagon trim with blue accent strip
See the Complete M Sport Package Thread for more details

Will the M Sport increase the power for the 328i or 335i?
No. The M Sport is basically an aerodynamics and aesthetics package only. It does include increase cooling capabilities, the same as the Sport Line.

What are the M Sport brakes?
The M Sport Brakes will be a stand alone option for the M Sport or Sport Line. The 335i gets upgraded 4 piston fixed caliper and 14.6" rotors in the front and two piston fixed calipers over 13.6" rotors in the rear. The 328i M Sport brakes are smaller then the 335i. The front rotors are 13.4", rears are 13.6", despite the smaller rotors the 328i gets the fixed 4 piston front and 2 piston fixed rear calipers. The brakes come painted blue, no choice on the color.

No fog lights on the M Sport for the US, why?
The US has a greater range of climates then Europe and US drivers take their car to the track more then their European counterparts. To make sure the F30 M Sport can perform in all US conditions the fog lights were removed to increase cooling air to the radiators, intercooler and oil cooler.

Does the M Sport come standard with M Adaptive suspension?
No, it will be an option. Pricing is $900.00 for the option.

Does the M Sport come standard with M Sport Brakes ?
No, it will be an option. Pricing is TBD.

More frequently asked questions to come!

Last edited by tim330i; 06-13-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Also, the website configuartor is ****ed up, and missing optoins
Old 02-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Also, the website configuartor is ****ed up, and missing optoins
Thanks for the suggestion. Added the FAQ and link to the complete F30 ordering guide.

Tim
Old 02-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
Awesome list, it answered some questions I had and others I didn't even think of. Thanks for your effort Tim!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
The horsepower number for the N20 is incorrect as stated (245). Should be 240.
"BMW had decided" -> "BMW has decided".
"increase cooling capabilities" -> "increased cooling capabilities".

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 0K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars

Last edited by mr_clueless; 02-19-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post

Thanks for the heads up on the typo. For the HP numbers, BMW is all over the place. The owners manual, 3 series catalog, etc. all say 245 and I believe BMWUSA.com also use to state 245 as well.

End of the day I think 240 or 245 are underrated numbers from BMW. Check out these dynos if you haven't already -

InsideLine Dynos a 2012 328i and gets an amazing 240 horsepower & 257 foot pounds of torque at the wheels
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=601206

EAS Dynos a 2012 Mineral Gray BMW F30 328i and gets 226 horsepower and 230 foot pounds of torque at the wheels
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=600055
Old 03-16-2013, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 08 Acura TLS 03 Cic
210K mi.

Quote:
"increase cooling capabilities" -> "increased cooling capabilities".
This has nothing to do with your post. I was impressed with the mileage on your 2003 -325.
My wife has a 325 cic with 84 K mi on it, she is not a car person but loves this automobile. I have been hit hard in the last year with repairs, (indy). Starter, alternator, etc. Water pump is original and I'm thinking of replacing it before the summer to avoid trouble. Do you do your own repairs? Any suggestions for me? I know my wife would like to keep this car another 10 years, Thanks.
Ladderman w.cross@comcast.net
Old 03-18-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladderman View Post
This has nothing to do with your post. I was impressed with the mileage on your 2003 -325.
My wife has a 325 cic with 84 K mi on it, she is not a car person but loves this automobile. I have been hit hard in the last year with repairs, (indy). Starter, alternator, etc. Water pump is original and I'm thinking of replacing it before the summer to avoid trouble. Do you do your own repairs? Any suggestions for me? I know my wife would like to keep this car another 10 years, Thanks.
Ladderman w.cross@comcast.net
Not sure what to recommend. I use an indy (don't do any repairs myself). The car is quite expensive to maintain -- probably $2K - $4K in maintenance each year depending on miles driven (I used to do about 25K miles a year). Yours seems to be very low mileage, so I would think it would tend to the lower end of that range. The mechanic had suggested replacing the entire cooling system at ~120K because he said a lot of the parts/hoses are plastic and they are susceptible to cracking -- that was perhaps the most expensive preventative non-scheduled piece of work I had done.

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 0K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 535i 6M
Quote:
Not sure what to recommend. I use an indy (don't do any repairs myself). The car is quite expensive to maintain -- probably $2K - $4K in maintenance each year depending on miles driven (I used to do about 25K miles a year).
Wow, with that high a yearly mileage, a lease would be very expensive but think about the maintenance savings with a lease: no maint ever if you lease every 3 years, probably less tire purchases over the course of 3 years, free loaner/less hassle factors, $500 every 3 years from BMWCCA, a new car every 3 years, probably safer with newer parts & technology, etc.

I am not a salesman
  • ED#2 9-1-11: '11 535i Jet Blk/Blk; 6M/Sport/Prem/ZDH/CWP/NAV/CA/fold-downs/PDC; Dropoff Paris, redelivery So Cal 10-21-11; back2BMW
  • ED#1 9-1-08: '08 535i Jet Blk/Blk; 6M/Sport/Prem/CWP/NAV/CA/fold-downs; RETIRED (just gave it back to BMW).
  • '02 330 CiC, 5M/ZSP/ZPP/heated seats/Bi-Xenons/2-tone leather, DE-BADGED; Lease buyout @28K (62% resid), SOLD 08 @ 36% MSRP after 7 years/60K miles. Great 1st BMW!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xdrive
Thanks for the info. Do you think the xdrive will enter production at the beginning of July, like, say, July 1st? Ideally I'd like to take delivery in Germany on July 30th. I'm wondering how long it usually takes them to switch over from the 2012 model year to 2013.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsg1114 View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you think the xdrive will enter production at the beginning of July, like, say, July 1st? Ideally I'd like to take delivery in Germany on July 30th. I'm wondering how long it usually takes them to switch over from the 2012 model year to 2013.
The issue isn't switch over time or anything else, it is if BMW is when BMW is going to start offering European Delivery of the F30 xDrive. For example the 328i and 335i rear wheel drive are currently being produced and sold, but BMW is not offering ED until after March 1st. No official reason given that I've heard.

My guess is they won't offer them that early for some reason, but I'd check with a dealer to see if they can get you an allocation.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:48 PM
BimmerVette

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4, 35i M Sport
BimmerVette

Will a BMW dealership change the default function on the Auto/Stop/Start to the OFF default? If so, do they charge for it and does anyone know how much it will cost?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFan1 View Post
Will a BMW dealership change the default function on the Auto/Stop/Start to the OFF default? If so, do they charge for it and does anyone know how much it will cost?
They can program it so it remembers the last setting. This is how they are shipping now. IDK if they charge to change it on an older car. Just call a few dealers and ask.

Previous Cars
Old 03-06-2014, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFan1 View Post
Unless something changed, they were doing it one time for free.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xdrive
I thought it was due to the official launch date being Feb. 11, and they were busy churning out cars so each dealer had some on their lots by then. It still doesn't fully explain the 2 additional week delay after launch, but I was assuming the xdrives won't have a launch of their own, and they would be made available soon after production. What has BMW done in the past?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 540i 6-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
When will all wheel drive / xDrive be available on the F30?
Both 335i and 328i will be available in all wheel drive xDrive starting July 2012. Manual transmission will likely be available on the 328i xDrive, don't count on it for the 335i xDrive.

Can I get an xDrive in manual transmission
Manual transmission is a likely option on the 328i. 335i will be 8 speed automatic only.
I was shocked when I read here that the 335i xDrive will conclusively be "automatic only", with no manual transmision option. Has this really been announced or published somewhere? I remember seeing one BMWNA exec interview that said manual-transmission xDrive would be available in the USA "in some models [plural]", but nothing about 328i only. If anything, I would more likely expect to see manual-transmission xDrive only on the 335i, because the added weight and burden of the xDrive system would be relatively less of a drain on the more-powerful engine. Also, BMWNA often drops the manual-transmission option on its smaller engines first (e.g. 640i vs. 650i, and 528i vs. 535i). Of course, I would prefer to see both engines with the manual option.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: Corolla
thanks

Thanks for the information it was really helpful.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 x5 4.8l, 2009 335xi
When you say that the XDrive is available in July, does that mean that they are available for ORDER in July, or will start shipping in july?

I desperately need to replace my 09 335 x drive that went off lease. I am so desperate that I test drove a C 300 4Matic (weak).
Old 03-29-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXe46 View Post
When you say that the XDrive is available in July, does that mean that they are available for ORDER in July, or will start shipping in july?

I desperately need to replace my 09 335 x drive that went off lease. I am so desperate that I test drove a C 300 4Matic (weak).
Old 03-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXe46 View Post

Did you already turn it in? BMWFS will extend your lease if they know you are planning to buy a new model that isn't available just yet.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 540i
Spoke to my dealer about a F30 Luxury 335ix, for European Delivery, he told me that he would accepting orders August 13! Would like to know if this sounds OK.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtalucci View Post
Spoke to my dealer about a F30 Luxury 335ix, for European Delivery, he told me that he would accepting orders August 13! Would like to know if this sounds OK.
Yea, awd isnt available yet
Old 05-04-2012, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie
powertrain and technology

Am I correct in assuming that the new (F30)335i coupe will be no different than the current (E90) in the powertrain and technology department. I really want to buy a new coupe, but seeing how these will not appear until 2013 I am close to pulling the trigger on a used 2011 coupe. I know the new 328 is getting a different engine, but it sounds to me like the new 335i coupe engine will be no different than the 2011 model engine? Can someone set me straight?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
Is the full owner's manual available online anywhere? Would be an interesting read...
Old 05-04-2012, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: Volvo V70 R& T5, 911 CS4
M Brakes

Thanks for the update. Good info.

A question, what will the M brakes do for stopping distance? Also I have seen published articles saying the stopping distances of the F30 328i from 60-0 mph varying from 107 to 117 feet. The first is very good and the latter average. Can anyone give me better information. If the M brakes only give me better performance on the track with less fading I am not sure I need it. I drive conners quickly but do it smoothly without using heavy braking. Still I appreciated the ability to stop in the minimum amount of distance. I have Bremco brakes on my Volvo V70 R and I like them.