Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 04-13-2012, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 335
US-335D, DPF off and Ecotune tune and pipe

Does anyone have any experience with ECOTUNE out of Scotland that provides a DPF removal pipe and an ECU tune re-map on a US-spec 335D? They claim they've sold some to US customers and that the results are amazing... The major negative is that you have to physically remove your ECU and ship to their Scotland shop due to the encryption on 2009 and up models. How does this new tune and DPF removal affect the still present DEF system and urea process? On a side note, I live in an emissions exempt state for diesel vehicles. Any information/thoughts is much appreciated as I can't find much info regarding the DEF system after the DPF removal and re-map.
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
not surprising given no def on european version. One good thing is def is still downstream of the dpf so likely little effect. whats it do to the egr system as thats right around there?

powered by lemings
Old 04-13-2012, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Why would you want to remove your dpf?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Why would you want to remove your dpf?
After seeing some videos, for the sound. I'd do it in a heartbeat if my car were out of warranty and had I not bought a second Mustang.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:23 PM

Yea well I can live without the black smoke at the sacrafice of some sound. (I've seen the same video.)
Old 04-22-2012, 06:08 AM

I'd actually prefer the black smoke.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I'd actually prefer the black smoke.
You are a diesel-head!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Yes and part of owning them is having loud engines that make stinky smells and belch out soot. I find it soothing. This is a big reason that I don't like the newer trucks.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:43 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335D
Sorry to bump up such an old thread but I figured it would be better than starting a new one.

Any updates on this? I want to remove my DPF but do not want to remove/ship the ECU. No reply from Ecotune.

Any shops in the US do this yet for the 335D? I see quite a few VW TDI places but nothing specific for the 35D.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflambert View Post
Sorry to bump up such an old thread but I figured it would be better than starting a new one.

Any updates on this? I want to remove my DPF but do not want to remove/ship the ECU. No reply from Ecotune.

Any shops in the US do this yet for the 335D? I see quite a few VW TDI places but nothing specific for the 35D.
There was a discussion last week about if the ECU could be reprogrammed via a handheld and from what everyone said that is not possible in the states. Only one mentioning I have seen of a DPF removal in the works I recall also talking about reprogramming of the ECU. So would look like no luck presently with doing a DPF removal and not wanting to remove your ECU to have it reprogrammed. Unless of course you are close enough to some of the few places that do the actual reprogramming.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 335
Quote:

I've yet to hear of anyone in the states successfully remove the DPF "without" having to ship out the ECU for a bench flash. ECUPROGRAM out of Calgary (poc Miguel) and JR Auto Electronics out of Oakville, Canada (poc Jarek), are two reputable shops that can remove/bypass your DPF and re-map your ECU onsite... Good thing about the Canadian shops is that the US spec 335D and the Canadian spec both fall under the North America build, versus the European build (DPF is slightly different due to lack of DEF injection) that Ecotune out of Scotland deals mostly with. I know Stan at Ecotune says he's been successful in tuning our US models, but just depends on your level of comfort/trust.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:05 PM

Thank you sir!

Been reading many threads that the DPF might not be all that restrictive in the 35D but it is still a science test. My guess is that, like every other diesel, it is but there isn't any definitive information yet (except for when it gets full of carbon).

I'd feel more comfortable shipping my ECU to Canadia than across the pond either way
Old 10-09-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you sir!

Been reading many threads that the DPF might not be all that restrictive in the 35D but it is still a science test. My guess is that, like every other diesel, it is but there isn't any definitive information yet (except for when it gets full of carbon).

I'd feel more comfortable shipping my ECU to Canadia than across the pond either way
Have you read through a thread(on another forum) where someone overseas did remove the DPF, had their tune changed and ultimately put the DPF back on? I thought he said he saw next to no gain and did not feel the soot was worth that very small gain. Personally I'd not get high hopes on this gaining power stateside until someone is the test subject and has a good person tuning for the change.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 4 diesels
Quote:
Thank you sir!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=25

Direct measurements show about 2 psi at full fueling at high rpm's on a functioning DPF.

2004 Ram Cummins with lots-o-mods
Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 PM

It's real shame some of these things ended up being different from the euro cars. Sure would be nice to just order a tune/dpf removal and so on from there and slap it on without issue. From what I recall they even have a different EGR setup that can easily be bypassed but not sure anyone has found a solution yet for the cars over here.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 PM

Don't get me started, Sir Snipe, on the 535D available to the REST OF THE WORLD. It REALLY pisses me the F off. But thankfully, I'm 95% happy with my 35D decision.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
It's real shame some of these things ended up being different from the euro cars. Sure would be nice to just order a tune/dpf removal and so on from there and slap it on without issue. From what I recall they even have a different EGR setup that can easily be bypassed but not sure anyone has found a solution yet for the cars over here.
Starting in 2014 (or before) the Euro cars will be the same as ours. That is when their emissions requirements catch up to ours. The reality is (and I think others here agree) that BMW and MB and Audi/VW have been using the US/CA for a beta test site for the new emissions systems required soon over there.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Starting in 2014 (or before) the Euro cars will be the same as ours. That is when their emissions requirements catch up to ours. The reality is (and I think others here agree) that BMW and MB and Audi/VW have been using the US/CA for a beta test site for the new emissions systems required soon over there.
They must be using it as a test site for more than just that because I'd think different emissions equipment still would not explain why our computers are encrypted differently than theirs.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:47 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
They must be using it as a test site for more than just that because I'd think different emissions equipment still would not explain why our computers are encrypted differently than theirs.
Because we have a different DDE? On p.28 of ST180 - Advanced Diesel:

In contrast to the ECE version of the M57D30T2 engine, the US
version of the engine electrical system features following
differences:
Engine control unit DDE7.3
Preheating system with LIN-bus link and ceramic heater
plugs
Additional OBD sensors
Electrically operated swirl flap and EGR valve
Additional actuators and sensors for the low pressure EGR
system.
Engine ControlModule
The new DDE7.3 engine control module is used on the US
version M57D30T2 engine. The DDE 7 version is used due to
the fact that the DDE 6 engine control module was not sufficient
to accommodate the addition of the SCR system as well as additional
OBD functions.
DDE 7 will be used on future generations of diesel engines
including the N57 which will be available sometime later.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:58 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
As I recall there is a guy by the name of turboEddie in another forum that is actively seeking in removing the whole system and working in conjunction with Lenny to see of the it can be removed, I met a guy down here in Puerto rico whom happens to know about a guy in Poland that actually works in your computer via OBD II using the my friend laptop, I asked how did he managed to do that he told me that the Polish guy had the BMW program to enter via OBD II and he managed to make MANY changes on your car. I will keep you informed on this because if its true this Polish guy MIGHT be the Key for ALL OF US!! and if so trust me I will post this PRONTO!! to you. As I write I am sending a txt to my friend will keep everyone posted ok
Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 AM

From an algorithm/encryption stand point that still does not make a whole lot of sense to me. But then again I rather not dive into speculating much at all on all that since has no actual effect on me.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

I'm into speculation, so here's a far-out guess: the US exports X5d vehicles. The USA has export controls under ITAR for encryption and products that have encrypted portions. Therefore, DDEs exported from the USA have to meet different standards (be more easily de-crypted, generally) than those exported from Europe.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 AM

It might be something like that. I just know the stuff we put out that has to be encrypted we are able to come up with routines that meet te needs for all countries the products go to instead of having different methods for different countries. But that is related to oilfield and not automotive.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Would sound like this:

Old 10-10-2012, 07:01 PM

I'd do it solely for the sound actually. I'd even give up a little power to have the sound if that was needed to get it.