Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 04-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 X5-35d AW-CI
Diesel Refueling, Please help.

Hey everyone,

Could you please help me out with this,

Having a hardtime with the new diesel, are we really expected to use the adapter funnel every time we refill?

Our stations have both pumps, large and small. I tried the small and it still wouldnt insert, i thought the adapter was only for the larger truck pumps. I tried another station that also has the smaller diesel pump and the same thing, will not insert.

I tried a few pumps in oregon and washington state but no luck.

What is the deal?

Appreciate the help,
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2012, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 335d M-Sport LCI
I don't think the small nozzle sticks in quite as far, but should still be able to be left alone while fueling. I carry the adapter for emergencies, but would probably throw it out after use.

The small nozzles fit. The large truck nozzles not even close.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
There are three nozzle sizes actively in use Today:

(1) Small nozzle for Unleaded gasoline (13/16" I think)
(2) Medium nozzle for Diesel fuel (15/16" I think)
(3) Large nozzle for high-speed filling of large diesel tanks, e.g., Semis (1 1/4" I think, but I'm not sure on this size)

BMW diesels in the U.S. have a mechanism such that only nozzle 2 will go into the opening.

Unfortunately, I have found that some fuel stations do not follow the established protocol and use nozzle 1 for both unleaded gasoline and diesel fuel.

It appears you have the bad luck of living in an area where the stations are somewhat irresponsible and are using the incorrect nozzles on the diesel fuel pumps. I suspect their logic is that the small nozzle will always fit into a bigger hole, so they simply use the unleaded gasoline nozzle on their Diesel pumps. I believe this is either due to their laziness (one less nozzle size to inventory and deal with), or perhaps is due to some older diesel vehicles that may not use the larger diameter "diesel" fuel tank filler (I seem to see this mostly in agricultural/rural areas when I travel). This does a disservice to the owners of gasoline-fueled vehicles, as it facilitates them making a mistake and putting diesel into their gasoline-fueled vehicle. And they obviously did not count on the cleverness of BMW engineers, who came-up with a mechanism which prevents a too-small nozzle from being inserted into diesel-powered BMW vehicles.

I have noticed that this seems to not be station brand correlated, but more geographically correlated -- I suspect it is the fault of whatever local company services and repairs the fuel pumps for the stations in any given area.

You can explain the issue to the station owner, pointing-out that as more diesel-powered vehicles have misfueling interlocks he will lose business (which might work, but I wouldn't count on it), or keep searching for a station that has the correct nozzles installed.

Unfortunately, while I believe there is a federal law which requires unleaded fuel to have nozzle 1 installed (an emissions-related hang-over from the switch to unleaded, to ensure people did not put leaded-fuel into cat converter vehicles), I do not believe there is any legal requirement to have the proper nozzles installed on diesel pumps -- it is just an accepted convention in the industry, not a legal requirement. But laws vary by state, and perhaps a complaint to the State would result in the station correcting use of the wrong nozzle for diesel.

Hope that helps clarify the situation.

P.S. Sometimes the tip of the correct-sized diesel nozzle is bent in places, such that the interlock will not let the correct-sized nozzle in, and twisting it a little bit while inserting it gets the interlock to open-up.

Last edited by Penguin; 04-16-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:32 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
P.S. Sometimes the tip of the correct-sized diesel nozzle is bent in places, such that the interlock will not let the correct-sized nozzle in, and twisting it a little bit while inserting it gets the interlock to open-up.
My very first fill-up I thought I needed the adapter since the nozzle didn't fit. Unfortunately it was operator error. Once I figured out that some nozzles need to bit of wiggling, I haven't needed to use the adapter.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
I had to use the adaptor a couple of times early on. It's a pain.

As posted above there are 3 sizes of nozzles out there. Here in the urban areas I haven't had any issues finding the correct size nozzles.

Haven't had a burp in a long time either.

Practice makes perfect.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
we have an adapter? no way, I have just been wiggiling when I get the thin pumps until the little latch releases and allows it to go in. About 1/2 the stations where I am have thin gas like pumps. Where is said adapter?....

EDIT: Ha! found it in my trunk, pretty neat, someone should make a metal one.
EDIT 2: found a picture of the system.

Last edited by wanderlust; 04-15-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: '12 X5-35d AW-CI
The nozzles do seem to be a little bigger, do i need to wiggle it? Anything special? I see two little notches where the adapter hits and then it is open and good.

Problem is the notches are 180 degrees apart, so if i push one down with pump the other notch is out and it wont go in.

Maybe cause this is a 2012?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:41 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Square peg, round hole!

You really just need to look for stations that have the correct size nozzles for diesel cars.

Truck stops will have the very large size where the adaptor would be required.

If the nozzle is too small, they really messed up.

Many stations will have the larger truck nozzle on one side of the pump and the car size (correct size) on the other side. Look around and ask.

It is amazing with as many diesels that are on the road now days that we still find the incorrect sized nozzles installed.

I haven't run into any issues in the past 2 years or so, but haven't really ventured out of my neck of the woods either.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
I just stick the nozzle in as far as it will go and that is not more than an inch or two. It looks wrong, looks like it will be a problem but so long as the pump is pumping at proper speeds it never leads to a fuel spill. I have tried wiggling it a couple times but not had the success others speak of but also not been concerned because it pumps fine even when it looks like the nozzle is hanging out of the car.

If anyone ever finds out if the restrictor can be removed or a fill neck can be ordered without it then I'd greatly appreciate hearing about that. I find it to be extremely more annoying than helpful.

BTW to the OP if you were getting truck nozzles you will definitely notice it because they are a lot bigger than your typical gas nozzle. In all my years I have only had to use those nozzles twice and both times was at actual truck stops and both times in my current truck.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
when you wiggle it you have to wiggle fast or does not work. I bet it would also work if you had a removable bit of rubber hose to put around the thin pump to expand it a few mm. probably someone makes hose of that size. in theory you could also have a 3mm shim with a handle that could slip in with the pump nozzil initaly. I may try to make one out of a thin plastic kitchen prong by dremeling off excess.