Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: '06 325i
BMW NAV System

Experiences good or bad with the NAV system? Is it worth the extra cost? Cant decide if I should add it to the car I am looking to order or just leave it off.
Ads by Google
Old 04-16-2012, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Luxury
So far I like it a lot. I live in Germany and have german maps load on my F30 right now. (I'm military so I have european maps loaded until I move back the US). The nav system works like a charm, much better so far then my portable GPS. The additional benefit you get is that when you get the nav system is a bigger screen 6in vs 8+in. That makes a big difference to me when using the idrive.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
the HUD comes with it too. being able to see directions on your windshield is awesome.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:18 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW X3
One of the best features of the Nav system is being able to send multiple directions to your car from your computer,saves quite a bit of time.

Motor Werks, Barrington, Illinois | email: irobinson@motorwerks.com
For detailed ED information, visit my BMW European Delivery website and my autos blog
Wall Street Journal article on BMW European Delivery
Old 04-16-2012, 11:04 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post
One of the best features of the Nav system is being able to send multiple directions to your car from your computer,saves quite a bit of time.
I'm pretty sure that you can't send directions to the car but you can send multiple locations (addresses) to the car via Google Maps, but only if you also have BMW Assist.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: E46 330i
FYI, you need BMW Assist to be able to send addresses to the car.

'02 E46 330i 5MT (ED Sept '02) - SOLD
'12 F30 335i Sport 6MT (ED May '12)
Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt24 View Post
Experiences good or bad with the NAV system? Is it worth the extra cost? Cant decide if I should add it to the car I am looking to order or just leave it off.
There have been many threads (mostly on other model forums). The cost was always cited as a reason to not buy it, as standalones by Garmin etc are much less. The integration with the car and phone is a big plus.

There have been many complaints about incorrect/bad routing. BMW blames the map-supply company(ies) Navteq and whoever else they're using. The supply company blames BMW for not having the latest. Updates through BMW are expensive, and don't solve some of these problems. The newer hard-disk based systems are easier to update than the older dvd systems, however. Many of these complaints (other than expense) can also be levied at portable units. YMMV, and watch where you turn.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 323i
Cost of theft

One other thing I like to consider is the cost of GPS theft. Portable GPS units are a huge target for thieves who don't give a second thought to smashing your $800 windows in order to steal a $200 GPS.

The way I see it (having one unit stolen already), by the time you buy a $200 unit, pay for a new window (cost me like $800!), and then buy another $200 unit, you've already spent like $1200, so may as way just pay for built-in nav which can't be easily removed and will not be a target to thieves who are window shopping.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: '13 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberkovitz View Post
One other thing I like to consider is the cost of GPS theft. Portable GPS units are a huge target for thieves who don't give a second thought to smashing your $800 windows in order to steal a $200 GPS.

The way I see it (having one unit stolen already), by the time you buy a $200 unit, pay for a new window (cost me like $800!), and then buy another $200 unit, you've already spent like $1200, so may as way just pay for built-in nav which can't be easily removed and will not be a target to thieves who are window shopping.
Or, you can buy the $200 unit, and not leave it on the windshield to be stolen. If they can't see it, they'll assume you took it with you. Or, you can be like my sister-in-law last week, and leave her purse on her Mercedes dashboard when she walked the dog, and guess what happened?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
To get nav or not in a new car is a question that I think about a lot. Especially since I intend to order an F31 wagon when they become available. My 2003 330i had the built-in nav, and I loved the fact that it was perfectly integrated into the car. However, I didn't love how the maps were quickly out of date, and the cost of the nav up front and updates were obscenely ridiculous!

In the F30's I've test driven, the integration is even more in depth, including the head-up functionality. Plus the fact that you have a screen on your dash no matter what. Seems silly to have that dash screen and then have to stick a TomTom/Garmin on the dash too. But it still peeves me at just how much you have to pay for the factory unit, how much updates are likely to cost, and that people complain that the system has routing issues that a $150 TomTom doesn't.

I'm still undecided on what I'll do when the time comes to order.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 04-16-2012, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
I think if you are going to keep the car a long time you get the NAV, otherwise the BMW nav is one of the worse systems out there compared to others. Also a previous article in Roundel even mentioned how BMW is just ripping people off for what they charge for the system. I was in Europe recently without my car(I have nav now) and needed a GPS, so I bought a Garman for $170 on Amazon. I am picking up another BMW for ED (6th time) and won't be getting nav as it is a lease car and I can survive with the Garman-it worked just fine.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 PM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
I think if you are going to keep the car a long time you get the NAV, otherwise the BMW nav is one of the worse systems out there compared to others. Also a previous article in Roundel even mentioned how BMW is just ripping people off for what they charge for the system. I was in Europe recently without my car(I have nav now) and needed a GPS, so I bought a Garman for $170 on Amazon. I am picking up another BMW for ED (6th time) and won't be getting nav as it is a lease car and I can survive with the Garman-it worked just fine.
I plan to order without the Nav. Even though the HUD is nice, the biggest thing I will miss is the nice big screen. Otherwise, the price is intensely high when you compare it to just a standalone GPS unit.

Dollars to donuts the Tech Package doesn't make good economic sense, but then again, we are buying 40k+ cars. If we really just wanted to go from A to B we would be in Civics. Clearly that is not the case...
Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Well, if it makes you feel any better, the premium price on tech packages is not a BMW exclusive. Even on economy cars tech packages that include Nav routinely cost $1800-$2500 or more and many don't even include the traffic and other capabilities that the BMW package does.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
In a recent comparison between five car nav systems including Tom Tom standalone GPS the BMW Navigation via i-Drive won top honors.... so not sure that it's "worst". Expensive? Yes, but so is the car that you are adding it to.

Let's say you lease the car for three years with a 60% residual. Even if you load up the tech goodies to the tune of $5000 (BMW apps, enhanced bluetooth, etc) the amortized cost over 3 years is about $60 or so a month before interest. Not cheap, but for people that spend a lot of time in the car it probably isn't considered exorbitantly expensive either.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:38 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
In a recent comparison between five car nav systems including Tom Tom standalone GPS the BMW Navigation via i-Drive won top honors.... so not sure that it's "worst".
Source please.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM
New to BMW

Mein Auto: 2002 Mustang, 2012 328i
I had the same confusion all day, to add tech package, or not. I like the bigger display screen, and also the enhanced instrument cluster.

I called up my dealer just now to get it added, but he told me the specs are frozen the moment it enters production.

Problem solved.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:40 PM

Did you get Premium Pack?
Supposedly the extended cluster is on cars with the Premium & no nav.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
Source please.
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...-the-test.html

Quote:
The Winner: BMW 3 Series

All four systems took recently completed sections of the I-355, and all four found a new subdivision in Plainfield, Ill., though the BMWs showed a few more roads than the others. In the end, the 3 Series system put us on the most expedient routes, even lopping off some time at the end. After a rough start, it completed the evaluation with few of the G37s wrong-headed instructions and none of the smaller routing issues the TSX and Garmin incurred. Its not the cheapest or most feature-packed system, but for simply getting the job done, BMWs system won the day.
Believe that it was a 2010 3-series which has a pretty similar navigation product to what is in the current car.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:42 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...-the-test.html

Believe that it was a 2010 3-series which has a pretty similar navigation product to what is in the current car.
Thanks! I even tried Google with different combinations of relevant words but didn't turn up anything, mostly just comparisons or the TomTom against Garmin, Magellen, etc. Nothing that included any built-in auto nav systems.

I noticed that this review is about 1.5 years old, but I don't think that BMW has made any significant changes since then.

Last edited by SD Z4MR; 04-17-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: Honda
I am probably going to get the NAV .. because A) I like having it built in.. B) As another poster mentioned.. theft of standalone units & C) As another poster also mentioned.. the idea of having two screens is just too much

Having said that, does anyone know what BMW is pricing the map updates for the F30 at? Looks like they want $350+ dollars if you install yourself... or ~$500 dealer installed for the F10. Yikes!!

Even if you wait and do it every 2 years or so... kinda puts a damper on the fun, does it not?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpilot View Post
Having said that, does anyone know what BMW is pricing the map updates for the F30 at? Looks like they want $350+ dollars if you install yourself... or ~$500 dealer installed for the F10. Yikes!!

Even if you wait and do it every 2 years or so... kinda puts a damper on the fun, does it not?
Check this F10 thread. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=540474
You can order the discs for $7, then need to buy an activation code (you need to supply your VIN). There is an outfit in Canada (www.BMWRetrofit.com) selling for CAD$ 200 and some outfit in Poland (http://www.navibmw.pl/fscmap_gb.html) selling codes for about US$ 100.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i / Stage 2
I going to order a 335i as soon as the 2013 ordering guides come out and keep going back and forth on the tech package.

I've had HUD on a couple of vehicles in the past and have always missed it when going to a non-HUD vehicle. On the down side, there are always more distracting reflections from the HUD and surrounding trim pieces on the windshield than non-HUD cars. Since it very sunny here that can be annoying. Plus, the HUD requires special windshield which is much more costly to replace if/when it gets cracked.

My past two cars have had built in Nav. systems and while I don't use it very often it is nice to have instant access to it when I do need it. They are all over-priced IMHO but at least you get the HUD with the Nav. The larger screen seems like a nice upgrade but haven't driven a 3 without Nav. yet so I can't compare. With the Nav., one thing that I like is the fact you can program the 8 radio buttons as radio stations, navigation destinations, phone numbers and entry points into the menu etc. when you have the Nav. Without the Nav. the 8 buttons are just radio station buttons. Can anybody that has the Nav. comment on how handy this feature is or isn't? It seems like it would be a very nice feature to have.

I'm doing the BMW DRIVE FOR TEAM USA this week and hope they 335i they supply will have the Nav. and HUD so I can get a better feel both features.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eleven View Post
Plus, the HUD requires special windshield which is much more costly to replace if/when it gets cracked.
Do you have insurance? If so who cares about the cost .

, one thing that I like is the fact you can program the 8 radio buttons as radio stations, navigation destinations, phone numbers and entry points into the menu etc. when you have the Nav. Without the Nav. the 8 buttons are just radio station buttons. Can anybody that has the Nav. comment on how handy this feature is or isn't? It seems like it would be a very nice feature to have.
Its a very nice feature to have, I had it on my 5 and had it set up for the night mode, my home location,phone # etc. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats

Last edited by vern; 04-17-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
The more I think about it, the more I'd be willing to pay that premium ($1800-2500) for the built-in nav. You do get direct integration with the car's systems (speed, steering input, large screen, HUD, etc.) that you'd never get with any TomTom or Garmin.

But what still raises my hackles is that I can buy said TomTom or Garmin for $150-200 on a model that provides free map updates for life! Being forced to pay $200-500 for a SINGLE update for the OEM system kills me! Especially when updates are available 4 times a year on that $150 TomTom.

I'd be happy to pay $2000 for an OEM integrated nav system that was sourced by Garmin or TomTom and included that company's map updates, etc.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW F30
I'm constantly watching my speed and during my test drive it was difficult to see the speedometer. It could have been how I was positioned though. Also, IMHO the larger screen looks way better than the smaller one when I've looked at pics without the tech package. I was also back and forth, but seeing as how this is my first BMW I opted for it.

p.s. of all the pics of cars I've seen the extended instrument cluster seemed to be there even without the tech package.